View next topic
View previous topic
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Onyx wrote:
However, I wouldn't want limitations imposed upon having children (as has been done in China). It is observed that when a society provides education for girls, then those young women (as they mature) tend to manage their own birth control.

So, you prefer the Corrupt-Them-Young approach. That school is gaining ground, especially in America.

Crosby's squeeze toy
Crosby's squeeze toy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

Onyx wrote:
Del wrote:
The world has endured a lot of population growth recently.

Humans have also endured a tremendous increase in our standard of living during this time. In fact, many nations have become entirely too wealthy, and yet we are the ones who like to talk about the "problem" of "too many people."

Yeah, so any suggestions?

Sure. Stop worrying about the malthusian gloom-and-doom.

Rejoice that modern technology allows the earth to support many billions of people.

Live frugally, and do not abuse and waste the wealth, like the rich modern pagan world.

Be happy, stay married, and have more children.

Rusty
Minister of the Gideons
Minister of the Gideons

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Del wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Del wrote:
The world has endured a lot of population growth recently.

Humans have also endured a tremendous increase in our standard of living during this time. In fact, many nations have become entirely too wealthy, and yet we are the ones who like to talk about the "problem" of "too many people."

Yeah, so any suggestions?

Sure. Stop worrying about the malthusian gloom-and-doom.

Rejoice that modern technology allows the earth to support many billions of people.

Live frugally, and do not abuse and waste the wealth, like the rich modern pagan world.

Be happy, stay married, and have more children.

He asked you for suggestions and you didn't proselytize for the RCC?
Who are you and how did you get into Del's CPS account??

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Onyx wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Onyx,
Uhhh, who was taking the census back in 2000BC on the graph you cited?

I guess you're saying that we don't know exactly how many people were alive at that time. That is true. The same is true today. We have estimates.

Are you suggesting that since we cannot know exactly, therefore we should not attempt to form any projections based on estimates and not do any planning for the future?

Have another look at the graph at the 2000 BC point... it's not exactly claiming an accuracy to the person. However, if there were in fact - say - more than 100 million people at that time, then the estimates would be wrong by several factors, and yet the graph would still trace a very similar shape and my question would still be valid. So what is your point exactly?

If you expect your projections to have any validity, you need valid data. The data you cite is fictional, unless there actually was a 2000 BC census in every corner of the planet to draw from.
What you've got is an academic guess. Nothing more.
Thats what China operated on. Soon they'll have a population absurdly skewed towards males.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar
Gentleman of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

It is my conviction that God owns the world and all that is in it. If it gets too far out of kilter, He'll straighten it out.
TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 8:31 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hovannes wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Onyx,

I guess you're saying that we don't know exactly how many people were alive at that time. That is true. The same is true today. We have estimates.

Are you suggesting that since we cannot know exactly, therefore we should not attempt to form any projections based on estimates and not do any planning for the future?

Have another look at the graph at the 2000 BC point... it's not exactly claiming an accuracy to the person. However, if there were in fact - say - more than 100 million people at that time, then the estimates would be wrong by several factors, and yet the graph would still trace a very similar shape and my question would still be valid. So what is your point exactly?

If you expect your projections to have any validity, you need valid data. The data you cite is fictional, unless there actually was a 2000 BC census in every corner of the planet to draw from.
Thats what China operated on. Soon they'll have a population absurdly skewed towards males.

I think you're arguing an inconsequential point here.

We know that the population of Earth, for the most part, increases and has increased exponentially for as long as humans have populated Earth. Any numbers showing otherwise would not detract from Onyx's point in his original post, and we have learned from recent statistics regarding major instances of tens of millions of deaths (totaling much more than 100 million deaths in the 20th century alone) that the exponential increase now occurring is no where close to being slowed or stopped.

For the sake of posterity, though, Wikipedia puts the estimate at 50 million people around 1000 BC. China, Israel, Egypt, and others were conducting censuses before that time.

Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Onyx wrote:
jruegg wrote:
If you want mind blowing mathematics, check out my last sermon.

Ok.

EDIT: Ok, I'm gonna ask you for a little something. If you go back and edit your sermon post... please just space out the paragraphs. Just hit <enter> a couple of times wherever you think a paragraph break might go. I'm finding it hard to keep my place. After that, I'll go back and read the whole thing. Thanks!

Done.
OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is, population growth is not a matter of mathematics. Children do not arise from the sacred uni0n of Mathematics and Statistics. They are each the result of the free actions of human beings.

Population growth does not drive itself, but is influenced by many factors, just like immigration does not happen as the result of people accidentally drifting over the border in greater and greater numbers. Each comes here as the result of a specifically chosen and purposeful action, or series of actions.

Tracking statistical trends will always result in absurdity if not checked by common sense. It's a bit like me worrying that, since I'm painting twenty hours a week now, where last year I only managed ten, in a few years I'll be painting 320 hours a week... almost twice the number of hours there are in a week. Or worrying that in another decade my daughter will have to cope with the challenges of being 11 feet tall.

Where are all these starving people supposed to come from? How will the Earth manage to produce such an abundance of organisms it cannot support? This seems illogical, to me. Widespread, catastrophic famine could only be caused by a sudden dramatic decrease in the available food supply.

We are aware that the population of the entire planet could fit into the state of Texas with 1000 square feet for each individual?

Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OldWorldSwine wrote:
The thing is, population growth is not a matter of mathematics.

Can better math make for better sex? If so, then your argument is void.
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

TNLawPiper wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Onyx wrote:
Hovannes wrote:
Onyx,

I think you're arguing an inconsequential point here.

We know that the population of Earth, for the most part, increases and has increased exponentially for as long as humans have populated Earth. Any numbers showing otherwise would not detract from Onyx's point in his original post, and we have learned from recent statistics regarding major instances of tens of millions of deaths (totaling much more than 100 million deaths in the 20th century alone) that the exponential increase now occurring is no where close to being slowed or stopped.

For the sake of posterity, though, Wikipedia puts the estimate at 50 million people around 1000 BC. China, Israel, Egypt, and others were conducting censuses before that time.

To paraphrase the movie Grumpier Old Men, put Wikipedia in one hand and $hi+ in the other and see which one smells like it should. Wink The US Government, with all it's resources in the 21st century can't conduct a 100% accurate census, but only an approximation (and that of responding legal respondents who are literate.) I think the inaccuracy would exponentially increase as you go back in time. Razz

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The population increases would pretty much stop and even reverse if everyone just turned gay.

I say this in jest, but I can see homosexuals touting that as a virtuous biproduct of their lifestyle choices.

Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Onyx wrote:
People have been wrong about population growth a lot. We had the big population scares in recent decades - they were overblown. Nevertheless, there are factors that increase human population by improving infant survival and life expectancy. These have made human population numbers look something like this:

A glance at the graph and you'll know that this can't possibly be the whole picture. Something has to change. Since we now can (and want to) enjoy conditions that keep us healthy more reliably, something has to balance that equation. The human population cannot indefinitely grow as it has in recent years.

The balance is coming in part because people are having fewer children. We are doing something new - birth control. There is the evil (IMO) enforced one-child policy in China, there is a rise in infertility in the western world, and there is voluntary birth control.

Some of you are opposed to artificial birth control on religious grounds. I respect the wholesome intent of this doctrine, but I do not accept its basis and therefore disagree with the doctrine. But my question to you is not about the morality or theology of the doctrine, it's about the mathematics. If humans were to continue having children at the pre-pill rate which resulted in the peak 2.2% per annum population growth in 1962 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth#Human_population_growth_rate )... while at the same time improving health outcomes for childbirth and for disease... then what would balance the human population growth?

Hard to say. This is why people like Zubrin and Hawking say that our expansion to other planets MUST happen. That infrastructure will be decades or more likely centuries in the making, so I see that as being WAY ahead of the game. I think that we will be terraforming parts of our planet before others.

Is this a problem that can mathematically affect us this century? What was the growth from 1900-2000?

What about this chart from your same article?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

jruegg wrote:
OldWorldSwine wrote:
The thing is, population growth is not a matter of mathematics.

Can better math make for better sex? If so, then your argument is void.

S'cuse me. I have to void.

Small nuts
Small nuts

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murf wrote:
Onyx wrote:
People have been wrong about population growth a lot. We had the big population scares in recent decades - they were overblown. Nevertheless, there are factors that increase human population by improving infant survival and life expectancy. These have made human population numbers look something like this:

A glance at the graph and you'll know that this can't possibly be the whole picture. Something has to change. Since we now can (and want to) enjoy conditions that keep us healthy more reliably, something has to balance that equation. The human population cannot indefinitely grow as it has in recent years.

The balance is coming in part because people are having fewer children. We are doing something new - birth control. There is the evil (IMO) enforced one-child policy in China, there is a rise in infertility in the western world, and there is voluntary birth control.

Some of you are opposed to artificial birth control on religious grounds. I respect the wholesome intent of this doctrine, but I do not accept its basis and therefore disagree with the doctrine. But my question to you is not about the morality or theology of the doctrine, it's about the mathematics. If humans were to continue having children at the pre-pill rate which resulted in the peak 2.2% per annum population growth in 1962 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth#Human_population_growth_rate )... while at the same time improving health outcomes for childbirth and for disease... then what would balance the human population growth?

Hard to say. This is why people like Zubrin and Hawking say that our expansion to other planets MUST happen. That infrastructure will be decades or more likely centuries in the making, so I see that as being WAY ahead of the game. I think that we will be terraforming parts of our planet before others.

Is this a problem that can mathematically affect us this century? What was the growth from 1900-2000?

What about this chart from your same article?

Yes. For those who have said they don't get along with maths so well, I'll just point out that the sloping down graph is the growth "rate", not the growth. In other words, the population is still growing by a percentage. I mentioned in my opening post that the "rate" peaked in 1962 - 1963. That also coincides with the time when the contraceptive pill became commonly used.

To answer TNLP, I don't think we should enforce anything! People make their own decisions. It's already happening, as the sloping down graph shows. The question relates to those who object to the use of contraceptives.

Hovannes, you seem not to understand mathematical precision. Here's an article on it written by someone who does understand the concept well. No offense, but it's in wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

OWS, I appreciate your point that the Catholic Church does not forbid regulating births in a family by natural means - I guess that means the timing methods. I wonder about the relative effectiveness of this method.

Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Has there ever been a time when the growth rate went negative?

View next topic
View previous topic