hogleg
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
American public opposes Israel striking Iran: poll

Quote:
Only one in four Americans favors Israel conducting a military strike against Iran's nuclear program, finds a new University of Maryland poll. Nearly seven in ten (69 percent) favor the United States and other major powers continuing to pursue negotiations with Iran, a position supported by majorities of Republicans (58 percent), Democrats (79 percent) and Independents (67 percent)...

If Israel goes ahead with a military strike against Iran's nuclear program and Iran retaliates - but not against American targets - only 25 percent favor the United States providing military forces should Israel request them (though support is a bit higher among Republicans at 41 percent). Another 14 percent favors the United States providing diplomatic support only.

The most popular position is for the United States to take a neutral stance, which is supported by 49 percent. This figure includes 27 percent who would also favor active efforts to end the hostilities and 22 percent who think the United States should simply not get involved.

Less than one in four Americans even know what's going on in Palestine or even the greater mid-east. A poll or stats of what Americans think about anything regarding that part of the world mean nothing to me.

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
U.K's Cameron: No justification for Israeli attack on Iran

Quote:
There is no current justification for an Israeli strike on Iran's nuclear facilities, U.K. Prime Minister David Cameron said in an interview to NBC published on Thursday, adding that the international community still has time to pressure Tehran through sanctions and diplomatic channels.

Cameron's comments to NBC came following remarks made by an aide to Iran Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who said that Iran would be willing to be more transparent about its nuclear activities in exchange for more "cooperation" with the West.

Speaking to NBC's Brian Williams, Cameron reiterated his opposition to an Israeli strike, saying that he didn't "think as we stand today that military action by Israel would be justified."

I don't think the Israelis should take that action now. We told them they shouldn't and said we wouldn't support it if they did. We've been very clear," Cameron said...

The U.K. PM added that Iran could retain "civil nuclear power, if they give up the ambition of having military nuclear power, they can have a future as a country that has more normal relations with the rest of the world," adding: "We need to keep up the pressure to encourage them to make the right choice."

What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Netanyahu is preparing Israeli public opinion for a war on Iran

Quote:
The lesson was clear: Just as David Ben-Gurion, Levi Eshkol and Menachem Begin said "no" to the White House, Netanyahu also needs not be alarmed by President Obama's opposition to an attack on Iran. Netanyahu believes that, as in the previous incidents, the U.S. may grumble at first, but will then quickly adopt the Israeli position and provide Israel with support and backing in the international community...

Like Obama today, Truman was also a democratic president contending for his reelection, who needed the support of the Jewish voters and donors. Under those circumstances, Truman rejected Marshall's advice, and listened to his political adviser Clark Clifford, who pressured him to recognize the Zionist state. And indeed, Truman sent a telegram with an official recognition of Israel just 11 minutes after Ben-Gurion finished reading the Scroll of Independence. The U.S. opposition to the recognition of Israel was halted at the desk of the president, who repelled the explanations by the Secretary of State and the "Arabists" in his office.

In 1967, the official U.S. position called on Israel to hold back and refrain from going to war, but a different message was passing through the secret channels: go "bomb Nasser," reported Levi Eshkol's envoys to Washington, Meir Amit and Avraham Harman. This message tipped the scales in favor of going to war. In 1981, Begin did not bother asking the Americans their opinion before attacking Iraq, but lulled them to sleep and launched a surprise attack.

In these past incidents, Israel acted against the U.S. position formally, but made sure that the Americans will accept the results of the action and support it in retrospect. And indeed, the U.S. recognized Israel in 1948, allowed it to control the territories annexed in 1967, and made do with weak condemnations of the attack on the Iraq nuclear reactor in 1981.

That being the case, then Netanyahu is hinting that in his Washington visit, he received Obama's tacit approval for an Israeli attack against Iran – under the guise of opposition. Obama will speak out against it but act for it, just as the past U.S. administrations speak against the settlements in the territories but allow their expansion. And in this manner Netanyahu summarized the visit: "I presented before my hosts the examples that I just noted before you, and I believe that the first objective that I presented – to fortify the recognition of Israel's right to defend itself – I think that objective has been achieved."

like R2D2, just not as cool
like R2D2, just not as cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So in all of this (there is much to read) is there a timetable for when this showdown is going to take place, roughly?

Gunna be messed up if we are still in the middle of an election November when all hell breaks loose in the Middle East...

"It's all right, Andy! It's just bolognaise!"

Most Likely to Draw Pirates with a Post
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Gunman at school shooting linked to spate of murders

Quote:
Four people, including three children, have been killed after a man opened fire outside a Jewish school in the French city of Toulouse Monday. Police say the bullets came from the same gun that was used last week in the murder of three soldiers...

Valet told reporters the gunman "shot at everything he could see, children and adults, and some children were chased into the school" before he fled the scene on a black scooter...

On Monday afternoon, judicial sources confirmed that the bullets fired at the school had been fired from the same weapon used in last week’s deadly shootings in Montauban and Toulouse...

“All the soldiers who were killed were from ethnic minorities,” said Bockman. “So this is looking like a series of racist killings.”

one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

jo533281 wrote:
So in all of this (there is much to read) is there a timetable for when this showdown is going to take place, roughly?

Gunna be messed up if we are still in the middle of an election November when all hell breaks loose in the Middle East...

Incumbent Presidents during war time traditionally do very well, and with the Obama administrations history of getting GI's votes lost in the process I'd hazard a war in November will contribute to the spin. Rolling Eyes

wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Israel’s Secret Staging Ground

Quote:
In 2009, the deputy chief of mission of the U.S. embassy in Baku, Donald Lu, sent a cable to the State Department's headquarters in Foggy Bottom titled "Azerbaijan's discreet symbiosis with Israel." The memo, later released by WikiLeaks, quotes Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev as describing his country's relationship with the Jewish state as an iceberg: "nine-tenths of it is below the surface."

Why does it matter? Because Azerbaijan is strategically located on Iran's northern border and, according to several high-level sources I've spoken with inside the U.S. government, Obama administration officials now believe that the "submerged" aspect of the Israeli-Azerbaijani alliance -- the security cooperation between the two countries -- is heightening the risks of an Israeli strike on Iran.

In particular, four senior diplomats and military intelligence officers say that the United States has concluded that Israel has recently been granted access to airbases on Iran's northern border. To do what, exactly, is not clear. "The Israelis have bought an airfield," a senior administration official told me in early February, "and the airfield is called Azerbaijan."

Senior U.S. intelligence officials are increasingly concerned that Israel's military expansion into Azerbaijan complicates U.S. efforts to dampen Israeli-Iranian tensions, according to the sources. Military planners, I was told, must now plan not only for a war scenario that includes the Persian Gulf -- but one that could include the Caucasus. The burgeoning Israel-Azerbaijan relationship has also become a flashpoint in both countries' relationship with Turkey, a regional heavyweight that fears the economic and political fallout of a war with Iran. Turkey's most senior government officials have raised their concerns with their U.S. counterparts, as well as with the Azeris, the sources said.

Small nuts
Small nuts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hovannes wrote:
jo533281 wrote:

Incumbent Presidents during war time traditionally do very well, and with the Obama administrations history of getting GI's votes lost in the process I'd hazard a war in November will contribute to the spin. Rolling Eyes

Obama will try and avoid a war with Iran which shouldn't be too hard to do because there is absolutely no reason to go to war with Iran right now. I'm worried about things after the election. Especially if the Republicans win. They're out to start a war with Iran and half the Republican party has convinced themselves that we must fight Iran. I just had a long conversation yesterday with my father in law over this. He can't understand why I'm not scared half to death that Iran has nuclear capability. Rolling Eyes
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:03 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Foreign Policy: Don't Fear A Nuclear Armed Iran

Quote:
On March 21, Haaretz correspondent Ari Shavit wrote a powerful op-ed in the New York Times that began with this stark and stunning claim: "An Iranian atom bomb will force Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Egypt to acquire their own atom bombs." Indeed, it has become axiomatic among Middle East watchers, nonproliferation experts, Israel's national security establishment, and a wide array of U.S. government officials that Iranian proliferation will lead to a nuclear arms race in the Middle East. President Barack Obama himself, in a speech to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) last month, said that if Iran went nuclear, it was "almost certain that others in the region would feel compelled to get their own nuclear weapon."...

But thankfully, all the dire warnings about uncontrolled proliferation are — if not exactly science fiction — further from reality than Shavit and Obama indicate. There are very good reasons for the international community to meet the challenge that Iran represents, but Middle Eastern nuclear dominoes are not one of them...

Despite its flimsiness, it is hard to ignore the utility of the Middle East's nuclear dominoes theory. For those who advocate a preventive military strike on Iran, it provides a sweeping geopolitical rationale for a dangerous operation. But the evidence doesn't bear this argument out: If Washington decides it has no other option than an attack, it should do so because Iran is a threat in its own right, and not because it belives it will thwart inevitable proliferation in places like Turkey, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia. It won't, for the simple reason that there is no reason to believe these countries represent a proliferation risk in the first place.

What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
US-Israel War on Iran: The Myth of Limited Warfare

Quote:
Washington and Tel Aviv claim and appear to believe that their planned assault on Iran will be a “limited war”, targeting limited objectives and lasting a few days or weeks – with no serious consequences.

We are told Israel’s brilliant generals have identified all the critical nuclear research facilities, which their surgical air strikes will eliminate without horrific collateral damage to the surrounding population. Once the alleged ‘nuclear weapons’ program is destroyed, all Israelis can resume their lives in full security knowing that another ‘existential’ threat has been eliminated. The Israeli notion of a war, limited in ‘time and space’, is absurd and dangerous – and underlines the arrogance, stupidity and racism of its authors.

To approach Iran’s nuclear facilities Israeli and US forces will confront well-equipped and defended bases, missile installations, maritime defenses and large-scale fortifications directed by the Revolutionary Guards and the Iranian Armed Forces. Moreover, the defense systems protecting the nuclear facilities are linked by civilian highways, airfields, ports, and backed by a dual purpose (civilian-military) infrastructure, which includes oil refineries and a huge network of administrative offices. To ‘knock out’ the alleged nuclear sites will require expanding the geographic scope of the war. The scientific-technological capacity of the Iranian civilian nuclear program involves a wide swath of its research facilities, including universities, laboratories, manufacturing sites, and design centers. To destroy Iran’s civilian nuclear program would require Israel (and thus the US) to attack much more than research facilities or laboratories hidden under a remote mountain. It would require multiple, widespread assaults on targets throughout the country, in other words, a generalized war.

Iran’s Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has stated that Iran will retaliate with a war of equivalence. Iran will match the breadth and scope of any attack with a corresponding counter-attack: ‘We will attack them at the same level as they attack us’. That means Iran will not confine its retaliation to merely trying to shoot down US and Israeli bombers in its airspace or launch missiles at offshore US warships in its waters but will take the war to equivalent targets in Israel and in US-occupied countries in and around the Gulf. Israel’s ‘limited war’ will become a generalized war extending throughout the Middle East and beyond.

What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Israeli TV report shows air force gearing up for Iran attack, says moment of truth is near

What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Bibi's dilemma -- and Barack's

Quote:
For Bibi, it was a strategic defeat.

For Israel's goal is a halt to Iran's enrichment of uranium and the removal of enriched uranium from that country...

Netanyahu believes Israel's security and survival mandate the nuclear castration of Iran. Sunday, in a detailed report cleared by military censors, Israeli TV showed how an attack would be mounted.

Yet reporter Alon Ben David conceded that the Israeli Air Force "does not have the capacity to destroy the entire Iranian program...

What are Iran's interests and options?

Tehran cannot want war with the United States. For whatever the damage done to U.S. interests, the destruction of Iran's air, naval and missile forces and nuclear program would be total.

The smartest course for Iran to pursue is to demonstrate to the West that she is reasonable and anxious to prove she has no present or future intention of building atomic weapons.

Which is what Iran was doing in Istanbul.

No wonder Bibi is frustrated. If there is no U.S. attack on Iran by November, and Obama wins, there may never be a U.S. attack on Iran.

Israel cannot do to Iran what Bibi wants done to Iran. Only Obama can.

But how does Bibi get Obama to do it, before November?

What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Iran vs. Israel - No Fear

Quote:
As the Nation of Israel, we have been assigned the responsibility of being a "light unto the nations". And, as that light, we not only have the right to defend ourselves, but the obligation to defend the rest of humanity.

What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
U.S. Concerned Netanyahu, Mofaz May Attack Iran

Quote:
U.S. government officials told Channel 10 News that they believe a Likud-Kadima joing government could make a decision about an Israeli attack on Iran at any moment and perhaps even before the U.S. presidential elections in November.

The report said that when the Americans believed early elections would be held in Israel on September, they thought it meant the attack in Iran would be postponed at least until after the election. Now, with the stabilization of Israeli politics and the current government likely to end its term on schedule, the situation has changed and the Americans are concerned...

Recent reports indicated that President Barack Obama is prepared to make a major concession to Iran on uranium enrichment.

According to the reports, the Obama administration now is willing to allow 5 percent enrichment if Iran were to take other major steps to curb its ability to develop a nuclear bomb.

What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
NDAA Authorizes War Against Iran

Quote:
This week, Congress is considering two pieces of legislation relating to Iran. The first [H.Res.568] undermines a diplomatic solution with Iran and lowers the bar for war. The second [H.R. 4310] authorizes a war of choice against Iran and begins military preparations for it...

This language [of H.Res.568] represents a significant shift in U.S. policy and would guarantee that talks with Iran, currently scheduled for May 23, would fail. Current U.S. policy is that Iran cannot acquire nuclear weapons. Instead, H. Res. 568 draws the "redline" for military action at Iran achieving a nuclear weapons "capability," a nebulous and undefined term that could include a civilian nuclear program. Indeed, it is likely that a negotiated deal to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran and to prevent war would provide for Iranian enrichment for peaceful purposes under the framework of the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons Treaty with strict safeguards and inspections. This language makes such a negotiated solution impossible.

At the same time, the language lowers the threshold for attacking Iran. Countries with nuclear weapons "capability" could include many other countries like Japan or Brazil. It is an unrealistic threshold...

While H. Res. 568 undermines our diplomatic efforts and lowers the bar for war, H.R. 4310, the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013 begins military preparations for war. Section 1221 makes military action against Iran a U.S. policy. Section 1222 directs our armed forces to prepare for war.

[H.R.4310.Sec 1221.8.b] Declaration of Policy - It shall be the policy of the United States to take all necessary measures, including military action if required, to prevent Iran from threatening the United States, its allies, or Iran's neighbors with a nuclear weapon.

This is an authorization for the use of military force against Iran. It ignores the warnings of both current and former U.S. top military brass who have spoken in opposition to the use of military force against Iran, including former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates, and current Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta. A February 2012 poll demonstrated that less than 20% of the Israeli public supports an Israeli strike on Iran if approved by the United States. Congress must avoid the same mistakes it made in the Iraq war and reject any language that can be construed as authorizing war against Iran.

SEC. 1222. UNITED STATES MILITARY PREPAREDNESS IN THE MIDDLE EAST.

Section 2 (A) pre-positioning sufficient supplies of aircraft, munitions, fuel, and other materials for both air- and sea-based missions at key forward locations in the Middle East and Indian Ocean;

(B) maintaining sufficient naval assets in the region necessary to signal United States resolve and to bolster United States capabilities to launch a sustained sea and air campaign against a range of Iranian nuclear and military targets, to protect seaborne shipping, and to deny Iranian retaliation against United States interests in the region;...

A plain reading of these provisions in H.R. 4310 taken together with H.R. 568 makes it clear: Congress is setting the stage for war with Iran. [all emphases in original]

View next topic
View previous topic