View previous topic
Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake
Never had a corndog taco shake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Del wrote:
Thoth wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
In the new translation of the Mass, the Nicene Creed will be spoken as a community of individuals ('I believe') rather than as a mere community ('We believe').

This is a MOMENTOUS change, especially for Joe Pewsitter who hasn't spent much time studying the faith (or the Creed).
Forgive the interloping but why do you see this as significant?

I've seen arguments for both the "I" and the "We" for the creed used liturgically. and they strike me as opposite side of the same coin. Though I do understand the the need the for "I believe.." type liturgical responses.

This is significant because the modern, squishy, cafeteria-Catholic can too comfortably sit himself behind the concept of "we." "The Catholic Church teaches x, and I am comfortable with my opinion on x + some liberties - some challenging parts. But I'm still a good Catholic, because we believe x. "

The change in the Creed to an accurate translation of Credo will hopefully lead to a few sermons on taking personal ownership of what my Church believes. Hopefully.

The original translation, back in the early 70's, was marked by the spirit of the era -- when emphasis was on "community" and "inclusion" and the "all-together-ness" of churchy things. That mood is passed.
Okay, I was curious because with in the Coptic rite at the start the Liturgy of the Faithful the creed is prayed starting with "We believe..." indicating those who are now attending are of the believers, i.e. the baptised a carry over from the early church liturgy where the catechumen were made to leave after the Liturgy of the Word and also had no right to pray either "The Lord's Prayer" or "Creed" until baptised. Thanks.

"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Thoth wrote:
Del wrote:
Thoth wrote:
Bigwill wrote:
In the new translation of the Mass, the Nicene Creed will be spoken as a community of individuals ('I believe') rather than as a mere community ('We believe').

This is a MOMENTOUS change, especially for Joe Pewsitter who hasn't spent much time studying the faith (or the Creed).
Forgive the interloping but why do you see this as significant?

I've seen arguments for both the "I" and the "We" for the creed used liturgically. and they strike me as opposite side of the same coin. Though I do understand the the need the for "I believe.." type liturgical responses.

This is significant because the modern, squishy, cafeteria-Catholic can too comfortably sit himself behind the concept of "we." "The Catholic Church teaches x, and I am comfortable with my opinion on x + some liberties - some challenging parts. But I'm still a good Catholic, because we believe x. "

The change in the Creed to an accurate translation of Credo will hopefully lead to a few sermons on taking personal ownership of what my Church believes. Hopefully.

The original translation, back in the early 70's, was marked by the spirit of the era -- when emphasis was on "community" and "inclusion" and the "all-together-ness" of churchy things. That mood is passed.
Okay, I was curious because with in the Coptic rite at the start the Liturgy of the Faithful the creed is prayed starting with "We believe..." indicating those who are now attending are of the believers, i.e. the baptised a carry over from the early church liturgy where the catechumen were made to leave after the Liturgy of the Word and also had no right to pray either "The Lord's Prayer" or "Creed" until baptised. Thanks.

It has to do with the purpose behind the changes. In isolation, some, maybe even most, of the Novus Ordo changes could have an argument made on their behalf. But when you add them all up and mix liberally with the spirit of Vat II, it was devastating.

Crosby's squeeze toy
Crosby's squeeze toy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

This is a clock, with images of all twelve popes named Pius (I suppose they would be the "Popes Pii")

This is how the clock looks on a typical Catholic wall:

Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Catholics and Obama:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obama-turns-his-back-on-catholics/2011/11/14/gIQABHCKMN_story.html

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/
wosbald
What's the funny part?
What's the funny part?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

+JMJ+
Rainman498 wrote:
Catholics and Obama:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/obama-turns-his-back-on-catholics/2011/11/14/gIQABHCKMN_story.html

That's a real shock. I might need a whole half of a second to recover from that.

Crosby's squeeze toy
Crosby's squeeze toy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

wosbald wrote:
+JMJ+
Rainman498 wrote:
Catholics and Obama:

That's a real shock. I might need a whole half of a second to recover from that.

If you can stomach reading the remarks after the article, you'll find that the commentors on the Washington Post forum are enlighteningly clueless.

The secular persecutions have started, and we're first in line.

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

but not the way she probably intended
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/11/pelosi_accuses_catholics_of_having_this_conscience_thing.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The Diocese of Orange bought the Chrystal Cathederal!
Apparently they were jealous over tasteless cathederal in Los Angeles and likely wanted to show them that when it comes to tacky architecture, Orange is a force with which to be reckoned!
God help the church in California!
Del
Crosby's squeeze toy
Crosby's squeeze toy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hovannes wrote:
Apparently they were jealous over tasteless cathederal in Los Angeles and likely wanted to show them that when it comes to tacky architecture, Orange is a force with which to be reckoned!

That is heinous.

Can that Evangelical idol to iconoclasm even be wreckovated?

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Del wrote:
Hovannes wrote:

That is heinous.

Can that Evangelical idol to iconoclasm even be wreckovated?

Well, if it were green it would bear an uncanny resemblence to the Emerald City. Perhaps the Diocese of Orange is playing the munchkin card?
Rainman498
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I really prefer the old school Gothic look, myself.

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Is Bosco more Catholic (for the obvious reason) than Ovaltine?
Del
Crosby's squeeze toy
Crosby's squeeze toy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have been waiting for the three-and-a-half years, for the corrected translation of the Mass.

It is finally here, this Sunday, the First Sunday of Advent, 2011.

WHOO-HOO!

tobacco_tenderfoot
Minister of Forward-slashing
Minister of Forward-slashing

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Went to the local Catholic Bookstore to pick up a Daily Missal.

Me: I'm shocked that you guys still have these in stock.

Clerk: Well we just got a new shipment in, some people are waiting for the burgundy ones, and some want the editions that just have English with them and no Latin.

Me: Latin is fine with me, maybe I'll even learn some Latin one day.

Customer hanging out at register: [Starts saying something in Latin I don't understand]

Me: Well I'm way far away from that. I just came into the Church last spring.

Customer: Well you missed a lot then.

Me: That's what I hear.

Clerk: Well they are starting to move back to some of the Latin

Customer: I've missed the Latin, I wish we'd go back to it. Vatican II was like cutting our own throats. The whole world would be a better place if the 60's and 70's never happened.

Me: This is a story of a friend of a friend type thing, but I knew someone who was talking to an older priest that said they used to hold mass with a cheeseburger and pop.

Customer: Well all those guys are dead or dying now.

Me: It will be interesting to see where the Church goes in the next few years.

[Group agreement and small talk]

Wos - Did I just meet your dad? It was at St. Clarence bookstore in North Olmsted.

Spiffy Enough
Spiffy Enough

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

tobacco_tenderfoot wrote:
Customer: The whole world would be a better place if the 60's and 70's never happened.

I like this guy.

View next topic
View previous topic