View next topic
View previous topic
Skip
Everything in Moderatoration
Everything in Moderatoration

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

Anybody familiar with this site?

http://killingthebuddha.com/

I found it on a click-through at http://www.americamagazine.org/ on an article about Mother Dolores Hart. (The author of that article is an editor at KTB). I've only glanced at a couple of articles and found them, well, "interesting." My first thought was "yeah, liberals with crosses," but they seem better thought out than most of the typical "me, too!" group-speak coming from those further left than an unshaven, rainbow-wearing, transgendered, lesbian, unitarian priestess who has replaced "chapter and verse" from the Bible with "season and episode" of Oprah.

An excerpt from their "About..." page...

Some guy at Killing the Buddha wrote:
Killing the Buddha is an online magazine of religion, culture, and politics. It began on November 13, 2000, when Peter Manseau and Jeff Sharlet invited readers who are both hostile and drawn to talk of God to join them in building an electronic Tower of Babel, a Talmudic cathedral of stories about faith lost and found. They named it after a saying of the Chinese Buddhist sage Lin Chi. Think of it like this:

After years on his cushion, a monk has what he believes is a breakthrough: a glimpse of nirvana, the Buddhamind, the big pay-off. Reporting the experience to his master, however, he is informed that what has happened is par for the course, nothing special, maybe even damaging to his pursuit. And then the master gives the student dismaying advice: If you meet the Buddha, he says, kill him.

Why kill the Buddha? Because the Buddha you meet is not the true Buddha, but an expression of your longing. If this Buddha is not killed he will only stand in your way.

Never had a corndog taco shake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The little anecdote reminds me of a Russian saying "God is everywhere but the imagination of man.".

Or evenn the biblical warning of the devil appearing as an angel of light.

"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

That reflects the basic assumptions of Buddhism, that all desire of any kind is a thing to be overcome and negated. Answers are the last thing they look for, because they don't believe answers really exist. Every answer, anything like capital "T" Truth, is an illusion brought on by our desire.

Christianity believes that our desires are presently warped, but that they can be un-warped, and that all of our desires are really only aspects of the one desire for uni0n with God. Our desires are a gift from God and are ultimately completely fulfilled in Christ.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Looked around the site, strikes me as a lot of post-modern crap. A place for readers of the Utne reader to earn their spiritual street cred.

"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III
Murf
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Skip wrote:
Anybody familiar with this site?

http://killingthebuddha.com/

I found it on a click-through at http://www.americamagazine.org/ on an article about Mother Dolores Hart. (The author of that article is an editor at KTB). I've only glanced at a couple of articles and found them, well, "interesting." My first thought was "yeah, liberals with crosses," but they seem better thought out than most of the typical "me, too!" group-speak coming from those further left than an unshaven, rainbow-wearing, transgendered, lesbian, unitarian priestess who has replaced "chapter and verse" from the Bible with "season and episode" of Oprah.

An excerpt from their "About..." page...

Some guy at Killing the Buddha wrote:
Killing the Buddha is an online magazine of religion, culture, and politics. It began on November 13, 2000, when Peter Manseau and Jeff Sharlet invited readers who are both hostile and drawn to talk of God to join them in building an electronic Tower of Babel, a Talmudic cathedral of stories about faith lost and found. They named it after a saying of the Chinese Buddhist sage Lin Chi. Think of it like this:

After years on his cushion, a monk has what he believes is a breakthrough: a glimpse of nirvana, the Buddhamind, the big pay-off. Reporting the experience to his master, however, he is informed that what has happened is par for the course, nothing special, maybe even damaging to his pursuit. And then the master gives the student dismaying advice: If you meet the Buddha, he says, kill him.

Why kill the Buddha? Because the Buddha you meet is not the true Buddha, but an expression of your longing. If this Buddha is not killed he will only stand in your way.

I think you are right. There are a few well thought out articles. All of the ones I read actually.

Of course, my view is that the more intelligent the mind the greater the intellectual justification for the emotional cacophony that rages inside them. I'll read it, though. Smile

Small nuts
Small nuts

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Murf wrote:
Of course, my view is that the more intelligent the mind the greater the intellectual justification for the emotional cacophony that rages inside them. I'll read it, though. Smile

Does that apply to you too?

Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Onyx wrote:
Murf wrote:

Does that apply to you too?

Absolutely, only my justifications were never that good. It was always easy to out me. Smile

View next topic
View previous topic