· Forums
Members List
Private Messages
· Donate
Account
· Your Account
· Edit Profile

Search CPS

Christian Pipe Smokers :: View topic - Seal A Meal No Mo.....

View next topic
View previous topic
dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

When I travel for weeks at the time, Seal A Meal becomes a very convenient way to package and preserve tobacco rather than mason jars.

So six months ago I packaged several tobaccos this way and watched the 10 or so 2 to 3 OZ packs to see how the packaging worked. Most of what I sealed this way wasn't real pungent so when never noticed anything.

But this weekend I pulled out the first of my seal a meal packages and left it in my office over the weekend. When I came in this morning, my office had the noticeable aroma of Bob's Chocolate.

I check to see if it had come open but no, it was still sealed tightly.

I sniffed the package and the aroma is very prevalent on the outer surface of the plastic, as thick as the plastic is.

VOC's! What this means is, that if VOC's can escape the plastic, then odors can also penetrate from the opposite direction.
Fortunately this hasn't happened....yet.

What is worse is that vacuum sealing flakes, especially moist flakes presses them together over time to the point that, when I opened the package, the flakes are virtually impossible to separate from each other. I basically created myself an 8 inch long plug.

So no more! at Least not for more than a few weeks anticipating that I will smoke them in a few weeks.

So my entire smoking experience for the next month or so will be smoking up my Seal A Meal baccy.

It might be very useful for shipping baccy to someone.

JUst be aware of the pitfalls.

I wonder what Christianity would look like today if only the RCC had looked at Luther's 99 theses and said, "you know what? You're right. Selling purgatory-pardons is wrong. Our bad." One of the scarce Ruggy Profundities.
Irish-Dane
The Proper Title
The Proper Title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

dasmokeryaget wrote:
VOC's! What this means is, that if VOC's can escape the plastic, then odors can also penetrate from the opposite direction.

I'm not sure this is correct. Many of those things are made to release excess gas, fumes, etc. but block entry of moisture and the like... think a flapper on a tractor or a big rig.

(For some reason I recall FredS being knowledgable about plastic stuff like this.)

Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

I wonder how the mini version of the space bags would work? I am thinking of the ones you press the air out instead of using a vacuum. That may solve your homemade plug dilemma.

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (ESV)
dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

Irish-Dane wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:

I'm not sure this is correct. Many of those things are made to release excess gas, fumes, etc. but block entry of moisture and the like... think a flapper on a tractor or a big rig.

(For some reason I recall FredS being knowledgable about plastic stuff like this.)

I hope yer right. That would sure take some pressure off. But there's still the issue of flakes. I meticulously stacked the flakes in 3/4" high neat little stacks. I can't even separate them with a sharp knife without tearing them up. The were really moist when I sealed them/

I wonder what Christianity would look like today if only the RCC had looked at Luther's 99 theses and said, "you know what? You're right. Selling purgatory-pardons is wrong. Our bad." One of the scarce Ruggy Profundities.
Irish-Dane
The Proper Title
The Proper Title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

dasmokeryaget wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:

I hope yer right. That would sure take some pressure off. But there's still the issue of flakes. I meticulously stacked the flakes in 3/4" high neat little stacks. I can't even separate them with a sharp knife without tearing them up. The were really moist when I sealed them/

Yeah, that is a problem. Spyderweb gifted me a few samples of tobacco when he came to NC last year, all of them sealed in those bags. The flake he gave me was a solid chuck of rock when I finally opened it up. When I went to break it up, I ended up with what looked like cub cut burley.

Del Zed Sysiphus Shirk III

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Irish-Dane wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:

FredS spent the first 25 years of his career working in and around plastics, and what I know about VOC's would fill a thimble. I think I-D may be recalling me poo-pooing the idea that water bottles leaching BPA's should be a real concern. It shouldn't.

But back to das's comment: I suppose that substances penetrating the packaging from the outside in is not only possible, but in fact probable since there's negative pressure inside the package. My current career involves pneumatic conveying of dry bulk materials. Some times we use positive pressure to blow material from one place to another inside a tube and sometimes we use negative pressure to suck material. Ingredients that are super sensitive to contaminants are always conveyed in positive pressure so foreign materials will not be sucked in if there is ever a breech in the system.

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine
dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:

FredS spent the first 25 years of his career working in and around plastics, and what I know about VOC's would fill a thimble. I think I-D may be recalling me poo-pooing the idea that water bottles leaching BPA's should be a real concern. It shouldn't.

But back to das's comment: I suppose that substances penetrating the packaging from the outside in is not only possible, but in fact probable since there's negative pressure inside the package. My current career involves pneumatic conveying of dry bulk materials. Some times we use positive pressure to blow material from one place to another inside a tube and sometimes we use negative pressure to suck material. Ingredients that are super sensitive to contaminants are always conveyed in positive pressure so foreign materials will not be sucked in if there is ever a breech in the system.

I understand this concept perfectly. We use the same principles in containing radioactive contaminants.

Damn. Pressure's back on. Better get to smokin.

Thanks FredS

PS: Using negative pressure to suck material is obscene.....just sayin

FredS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote Back to top

dasmokeryaget wrote:
PS: Using negative pressure to suck material is obscene.....just sayin
The hardworking people who make vacuum cleaners and drinking straws would disagree. So would those who enjoy a mouthful of tobacco smoke every now and then.

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine
Irish-Dane
The Proper Title
The Proper Title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

FredS wrote:
Irish-Dane wrote:
dasmokeryaget wrote:

You couldn't have just said, "It'll be okay Das. You're fine..." could you?! Now he's gonna puff, puff, puff away untill all his baccy's gone. Razz

Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just suck it up and suck on your pipe. I have a few of those sealed up packages of baccy from you, Das, and I am not going to get under too much pressure about it. However, I know what you mean when it comes to the solid mass. The Peacehaven you sent a while back is a good example. Kind of a funny long plug, but it still works. I broke it up some before jarring it.

FredS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Here's what you need to do Das. . .
1. Unplug the seal-a-meal.
2. Rotate the plug 180 degrees. For the angular challenged, that means turn it over.
3. Plug it back in. The pump motor will now run in reverse providing positive pressure not negative.
4. Bag and seal your tobacco as you normally would. You'll end up with a balloon sort of package that can double as a personal flotation device if you stuff some down your shirt. The internal pressure will prevent contamination by any external substances.

mont974x4
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

*snicker*

Eph 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (ESV)
dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

FredS wrote:
Here's what you need to do Das. . .
1. Unplug the seal-a-meal.
2. Rotate the plug 180 degrees. For the angular challenged, that means turn it over.
3. Plug it back in. The pump motor will now run in reverse providing positive pressure not negative.
4. Bag and seal your tobacco as you normally would. You'll end up with a balloon sort of package that can double as a personal flotation device if you stuff some down your shirt. The internal pressure will prevent contamination by any external substances.

Funny FredS.

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

So still, if i can smell the aroma from the sealed package, that means something is escaping. But not to worry. The issue with flakes sticking together alone is enough to make me not want to use the seal a meal anymore.

Pepik
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does your seal-a-meal dealie have an adapter for mason jars? That might be the ticket. I bought mine with that capability, but haven't snagged the adapter nor enough jars to do so.

Thomas More: I trust I make myself obscure.

View next topic
View previous topic