Search CPS

Christian Pipe Smokers :: View topic - Fills and Sandblasting Color Schemes

View next topic
View previous topic
DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have, at this point, too honking many pipes, but I still keep window-shopping at eBay, and every so often, I bid a pittance on something, and am perpetually surprised when I win.

The other day, I bought two sandblasted pipes. One was a Danish Special apple, the other a Mountbatten dublin. The Mountbatten I knew to be a Charatan subrand, the Danish Special a Kriswill second.

Interesting thing to me was that the fills, though not large, on the Mountbatten were fairly visible, as the putty had not changed colors in quite the same way the briar did. I've seen almost exactly the same thing on a Peterson XL90 I've got, right down to the hue of the briar and putty.

The Danish Special, on the other hand, I had to LOOK FOR the fills. I was sure they'd be there, as everything else about the pipe looked fine and I knew it didn't make the Kriswill cut for SOME reason. When I found them, I thought it was pretty slick. The pipemaker had made the putty a very solid black, and then stained the pipe overall with a brown-on-black scheme. It made it quite hard to see the fills and I am dead certain that no casual observer would ever see them.

Just made me wonder why everyone doesn't do that. Seems like a no-brainer. But maybe I'm ignorant of something.

This is the third Kriswill second/sub-brand I've bought, by the way. I have a Navigator stack (which is excellent with anything relatively finely cut) and a Danish Crown, which has made an excellent flake pipe. I've little doubt that this Danish Special will also prove to be a good smoker. It certainly looks well-constructed.

I don't think I paid more than about eleven bucks for any of them. Makes me think that someone on the lookout for good smokers at a reasonable price might want to keep his eyes peeled for Kriswill seconds.

View next topic
View previous topic