· Forums
Members List
Private Messages
· Donate
Account
· Your Account
· Edit Profile

Search CPS

Christian Pipe Smokers :: View topic - Trypis pipes?

View next topic
View previous topic
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

My pipe smoking friend in town here has really good things to say about Phillip Trypis pipes. He bought a bunch about 15 years ago and he really likes them. I understand tha Trypis did work for Brigham in the glory years. I've found his website, which is actually run by Seles, but I'm not sure how up to date the info is.

I know that Mr. Trypis had been injured and wasn't making pipes for awhile. Since he's getting older I wonder if we Canadians shouldn't start collecting these as we may not have them much longer.
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

I was discussing these pipes with this friend of mine who's main pipe is a Trypis rhodesian/apple. It and the many I can find online have this unique rustication patterns. The patterns seem to swirl around the bowl and up the mortise. It's a very deep rustication, not sandblast at all. I was commenting that this partial rustication is unique to Trypis and has been passed on to many Brighams, although in a machined manner, it seems to me. My friend quoted Trypis as saying that he liked to leave as much fine grain as possible and rusticate those not so good areas. So pocking, fills etc would be etched out to draw attention to the finer smooth areas. This to me, is a true artisan's approach. I want to collect these as I feel they're Canadian art, sculpture almost, and an underappreciated form.
Rusty
Minister of the Gideons
Minister of the Gideons

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

There are two places that have Philip Trypis' pipes in stock.
Stefan Seles' site is one:
http://www.selespipes.com/trypispipes.html

and the other is Pipeworld:
http://www.pipesworld.com/pipes/search.php3?LIST_NUM=20&submit=Go&SEARCH=&PIPEMAKER=Philip+Trypis&START_NUM=0

Before purchasing make contact with an email to check stock. Stefan is active in the Downtown Toronto Pipe Club and he's also in contact with Philip. Pipesworld was an American web site run by some Canadians. A couple of years of ago their CC processor terminated services because they sold tobacco. That effectively shut them down. This has been an ongoing problem for online shops so it's not unique to them - but they only had a web presence so it was a mortal wound. They retrieved their stock (from its previous home, at Uhles actually) and are up again, without tobacco, though you'll note they're now in Ontario as is their stock. I've seen some of that stock, so it's real. But again - I suggest that you email them if you're interested.

You're also right about that generation of pipe makers generally. We're losing them. Last year John Calich passed away. John was my mentor in all things related to pipes and tobaccos so I certainly understand your concern but it runs deeper than just their pipe stock. That leaves Philip & Julius Vesz of that generation.

I certainly think you should take advantage of any opportunity to meet some of these pipe makers and talk with them about their pipes. Make contact with the Downtown Toronto Club - Michael Parks (another pipe maker) is a member, as is Stefan and he's probably your link to Philip.

I was quite amazed at how much of Brigham's style seemed to be Philip's.
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote Back to top

My friend said he used to go right to Trypis' shop. Is that still possible? It'd be great to buy personally from the maker.

Yes, I find older Brighams and the whole of Trypis' stock really rival anything by British makers. Not just in terms of quality but value. You can get a high end Trypis for a little over $100. That's value.

His style is definitely evident in many Brighams, even the current line. Although I think his own pipes are certainly much thicker walled and generally more substantial.
Rusty
Minister of the Gideons
Minister of the Gideons

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kirk, definitely wearing a maple leaf today, wrote:
Yes, I find older Brighams and the whole of Trypis' stock really rival anything by British makers. Not just in terms of quality but value. You can get a high end Trypis for a little over $100. That's value.

Well... I don't know if I'd go that far. English pipes have a charm all their own and most of the well known older brands are well recognized and often collectible. I love the older Charatans and I also have Upshalls which are their logical descendant. England was the mother lode and it's hard to be credible when we say the sort of thing you're saying.

Canadians tended to buy affordable pipes and you can see that this is the market that Philip still addresses. That's the market Brigham addressed too. Vesz and Michael Parks, OTOH, are really targeting the American collectors and ignore the Canadian market. The half life of a $600 pipe sale in Canada is about 24 years. Vesz has a stellar reputation as a grumpy rude seller when the odd Canadian pipe smoker wanders into his shop and asks why his are so expensive. But you should hear the American collectors go on about him and his dead root briar. Night and Day - you'd never know that it was same guy!
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose in many cases the English are more valued; a BMW is not the same as a Ferrari -- two completely different markets. But collecting has always been about personal taste for me. I find greater value in something that reflects me in some way. Whereas the popular opinion would be to invest in market value. Such as a Chippendale sideboard is always going to be more popular than a Quebec armoire. I happen to prefer the Quebec, so in my mind, that's more valuable.

The Trypis pieces are uniquely Canadian, which is something very special to me. There is a considerable amount of Canadian art and sculpture, but very little of it says anything about the Canada I know. These pipes have that esthetic. Especially when you hold it. I was turning one over and over in my hands yesterday and it just screamed Canada to me. The same way a birch bark canoe does. It's an indefinable emotional reaction that only good art has. And to me, that's worth more than a room full of Dunhills.

And you're right, the Canadian approach to affordability does tend to devalue our product on the world market. But that is a defining characteristic of the Canadian psyche. And to capture that in a piece of sculpture (which is really what these pipes are), is good art. Value, praticality, and beauty at once, what could be more Canadian? And therefore more valuable as an identity piece?

Minister of the Gideons
Minister of the Gideons

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh that last post is so true. You'll note from the Brigham thread that I really value my Brigham pipes and esp the Norseman & Valhalla's. They're hand made pipes and a lot of care and effort went into them. Their finishing is every bit as interesting as any Dunhill Shell or Upshall Bark. And they represent a time when Brigham was a real pipe maker. They are now quite rare in a comparable condition to mine. I bought them new when I was 18 - so they also go back to my beginnings as a pipe smoker. Dunhill's and even Upshall's out number them by legions in the marketplace! They are positively common. My Calich sub-collection is quite spectacular and the most numerous of any single brand in my rambling collection. I probably have one of the largest and most interesting Calich collections anywhere. I also have a bakers dozen Blatters and they too are great pipes.

So by all means go and buy Canadian hand made pipes. You won't regret it. They're quite interesting and the makers inspiration, if you talk to him, will live on in the pipes. Also you'll note the influence of other pipe makers as your collection grows. Calich loved Charatan pipes and it shows. Blatter has been influenced by pipe makers in St. Claude France and it shows. But it's filtered and combined with something that is unique to them.
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Good advice on Calich. I've found this one at pipes2smoke in TO, thought I'd ask your opinion. The site says it's a grade 3X. The description says they start at grade 3E, so I'm assuming its a lower grade. But I dig it. It's got a wide, deep bowl which I like. The stem looks comfortable and the shank seems a little longer than usual for this style.

Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thats a beaut, im looking to buy a Ferndown as my next pipe pipes2smoke stock them, there made by Les Wood who still does Dunhills silverwork, and they are resonably priced.

Minister of the Gideons
Minister of the Gideons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kirk1701 wrote:
Good advice on Calich. I've found this one at pipes2smoke in TO, thought I'd ask your opinion. The site says it's a grade 3X. The description says they start at grade 3E, so I'm assuming its a lower grade. But I dig it. It's got a wide, deep bowl which I like. The stem looks comfortable and the shank seems a little longer than usual for this style.

I think Max (Pipe2smoke) got some of John's last stock and maybe some that John smoked... I was hoping to see some of John's favourites but that hasn't been the case. I suspect that Max has a funny understanding of John's grading system. Which can be excused because there's history there. But, in using the E notation in the labels he's suggesting grades that are from his imagination and not from the pipe maker. But many people have purchased and I don't hear a lot of complaining...

John had two distinct grading systems over time. The first was a simple number that, in the 70's, ranged from 3 to 12. A 3 was a small rusticated pipe carved from ebauchon stained black or dark brown. A 12 was a big gorgeous clear straight grain, carved from plateau that was very lightly stained, if at all. A second was a pipe that, for some reason didn't qualify as a first, and was either marked SECOND or stamped with an X. The number applied to the second was usually 2 less than had it been a First. So 3X is a 5 that was marked down because it was a second. So it should be clear that the grade numbers really correspond to price bands.

Over time the system suffered from high grade creep, so that he added grades to the top end and also subtracted (or stopped using some) grades from the bottom. 3's and 4's went away. Most of the 3's were really 5's and I never saw a 4 so 3 only occurred when it was a 5 that was a second. That's the pipe you're looking at.
In about 1980 he added 13 & 14 to the top end and by the late 80's he had 15,16, and even one 17. Of course he groused about the grading creep; it really bugged him. He talked about a simpler system and often mentioned a new grade system that ran 1 to 10 and that was it.

In the mid-90's he actually changed the grade system so the last grading employs a number of E's. Grades of excellence? I don't know because he never explained the significance of the 'E'. But it ran from 1E to 10E. But of course 1E and 2E's he considered below his craft so he didn't use them. The 3E was the entry level and 10E was the top. I think he probably never exceeded 7E or 8E in practice which is why Max says it ranged from 3E to 7E.

What Max did was to translate the old system to the new by his taste. So there were three grade 10's and he sold them as 4E, 5E, and 6E - why? I have no idea.

BTW, just so you don't get a poor impression of John's idea of a second, let me add that I often used to dig through his boxes of seconds. I'd pull out a piece and find NOTHING wrong with it (and I was looking in strong natural light). So I'd say this to John and he'd show me some little thing that nobody would ever recognize. I'd tell him he was crazy and buy the pipe.

Last edited by Rusty on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

Briarman wrote:
Thats a beaut, im looking to buy a Ferndown as my next pipe pipes2smoke stock them, there made by Les Wood who still does Dunhills silverwork, and they are resonably priced.

I saw them. Nice. Very nice. Very English.

Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Rusty wrote:

BTW, just so you don't get a poor impression of John's idea of a second, let me add that I often used to dig through his boxes of seconds. I'd pull out a piece and find NOTHING wrong with it (and I was looking in strong natural light). So I'd say this to John and he'd show me some little thing that nobody would ever recognize. I'd tell him he was crazy and buy the pipe.

My friend in town here says that's what his father would do with Brighams. He'd go to the outdoors show in Toronto that Brigham always had a booth at and buy the seconds.

Also, Rusty, do you think this is the last of the Caliches we'll see for awhile? Or will they show up as estates, but with jacked up prices? It seems a good time to buy as he's not been gone too long for the frenzy to start.

Minister of the Gideons
Minister of the Gideons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Kirk1701 wrote:
My friend in town here says that's what his father would do with Brighams. He'd go to the outdoors show in Toronto that Brigham always had a booth at and buy the seconds.

Also, Rusty, do you think this is the last of the Caliches we'll see for awhile? Or will they show up as estates, but with jacked up prices? It seems a good time to buy as he's not been gone too long for the frenzy to start.

Pricing of estates depends greatly upon brand popularity and who is selling them. I saw Coopersark get $202.50 for a lowly rusticated Calich 3E on eBay last year. That was really unusual. Mkelaw got $56.50 last week on eBay for a nice clear finished estate Calich bent Apple that looked like a nice grade 10 from the early 80's. The latter is fairly typical. Calich's come up on eBay periodically, and they are usually great deals. There aren't really enough out there for them to show up every week. Also pipe smokers are brand crazy so there are a few hot brands and many more that are not well known. One can do exceedingly well on brands that aren't hot - that's the nature of eBay. Calich is among the better deals.

I've also seen cases where Americans are not familiar with pricing for Canadian pipes and they push the price for an estate pipe well above an equivalent for a brand new one. This happens with Blatters every now and then. The Canadian bidders go quiet and watch the Americans go nuts!

Max may have some unsmoked Calich pipes and there may be a few in some Toronto stores but resupply has definitely ended. So new ones will become harder to come by. I think it's interesting that he has been refreshing his stock for sale on his page... so he probably has more. The prices aren't too bad but he knows that he's the only game in town.
Kirk1701
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote Back to top

Here's my latest Brigham. It's a 2 dot stamped shape #214 and in script Brigham Made in Canada. The rustication is very Trypis, to my mind. You might like to disagree with me Rusty. I'd be pleased to hear it.

I bought it on ebay for about $45. It smokes beautifully after the Prof. Pipe Treatment.

Minister of the Gideons
Minister of the Gideons

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The #14 is a medium sized Pot. Looks nice.
You'll have fun with that. I find Pot shapes are a little more challenging to smoke but they have surprising potential.

When I first saw Trypis pipes (in the flesh) I thought - "This guy is Mr. Brigham", so I'm not surprised that you see the rustication and say "Ah ha! - gotcha - I know who created you!".

View next topic
View previous topic