McClelland Bulk

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
SFC
Usher
Usher

McClelland Bulk

Post by SFC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:16 pm

McClelland Bulk MC 2000 Fragrant Matured Cake

A light, soft sweet cake tobacco that will appeal to those who have been smoking the various sweet, black tobaccos and aromatics because of its cooler, dryer smoking qualities and natural tobacco taste.

McClelland Bulk MC 2010 Classic Virginia

A blend of Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange and orange-red Virginias. Sweet, smooth & zesty. A light bodied, naturally sweet , satisfying Virginia.

McClelland Bulk MC 2015 Virginia Flake and Perique

Made from orange and red Virginias to which enough Perique has been added to create a refreshing smoke with a satisfying richness and depth of flavor. Well-balanced, dark matured cake.

McClelland Bulk MC 2020 Matured Cake

Aging of this blend of Lemon and Orange Virginias, Xanthi and Latakia in cakes develops an extra margin of smoothness and an uncommonly rich flavor that is refined, not heavy.

McClelland Bulk MC 2025 English Cavendish

A pleasant, rather light, broken, small-flake tobacco composed of lemon Brazilian and orange Middle Belt leaf seasoned with enough Xanthi to be satisfying throughout the day without becoming tiresome. Rounder than a straight Virginia.

McClelland Bulk MC 2030 No.1 Grade Balkan

A classic style Medium Balkan Mixture prepared from rich, stoved, Eastern and Middle Belt strip; Cyprian Latakia; Lemon Carolina; and the finest Greek Oriental tobacco. Exceptional in quality.

McClelland Bulk MC 2035 Dark Navy Flake

A beautifully dark, pungent cake. It is sweet and rich without being as strong or stout in body as dark flakes have traditionally been. Eastern belt lemon, leaf and cutter grade tobacco, aged and lightly stoved.

McClelland Bulk MC 2040 Cyprian Mixture

Heat seasoned and topped with a delightful nut and spice note, this is a full mixture, dark with Latakia. Rich and satisfying.

McClelland Bulk MC 2045 Oriental

Soft and sweet, rich in light Orientals and Carolina tobaccos with somewhat less Latakia that #2040. This is a great all day smoke.

McClelland Bulk MC 2050 Oriental Cavendish

An unusual mixture containing no Latakia, but still has a rich, round flavor. Liberal quantities of Orientals and a special Virginia Cavendish combine with Black Cavendish to make this a tobacco which should satisfy a great many smokers

McClelland Bulk MC 5100 Red Cake

A sweet, exceptionally soft, fully-rubbed Matured Cake, this is a fine, medium-bodied smoke. Extremely high-grade and refined.

McClelland Bulk MC 5105 Stoved Virginia

This tobacco is rich and sweet with a delightful naturally spicy aroma. Use for blending or as a straight smoke.

McClelland Bulk MC 5110 Dark English

McClelland's fullest mixture. It is rich with Latakia. Contains Oriental leaf and stoved Virginia. An extremely pleasing blend.

McClelland Bulk MC 5115 Old World Classic Cake

A matured cake blend of the finest lemon and orange-red Virginias. It is enhanced with natural fruit essences. Lightly sweet, satisfying, smooth, but with a little zest. This is Matured Virginia at its traditional best.

McClelland Bulk MC 5120 Fragrant Virginia Ribbon

Rich and smooth and balanced in flavor and aroma. Stoved Virginia cake tobaccos bring depth to the rubbed-out red Matured Virginias in this pleasantly fruity, naturally spicy, fragrant all-Virginia mixture.

McClelland Bulk MC 5125 Coyote Classic

A rich, full, Oriental mixture made for the American taste. A classic outdoor smoke for the woodsman or cowpoke. Stout with lots of Latakia and fragrant Turkish, with just enough naturally sweet matured Virginia for balance.

McClelland Bulk #100 Tropical (by the ounce)

A light, fresh tobacco with satisfying sweetness, this very flavorful mixture of lemon and orange Virginias is rounded with Special Black Ribbon and flavored with a delicate tropical dressing. A fine all day smoke.

McClelland Bulk #105 Chocolate Mint (by the ounce)

#105 Chocolate Mint A combination of Special Black and golden Virginia lightly flavored with a chocolate-mint dressing. Rich enough in flavor to be a superb evening smoke for people who normally prefer extremely light mixtures.

Virginia and soft , cut cake Burley Cavendish with a delicious nutty taste and aroma.

McClelland Bulk #600 Special Black (by the ounce)

Sweet, refined and satisfying. Burns slow and is extremely soft and holds its rich flavor all the way down to the bowl. A truly fine Black Cavendish.

McClelland Bulk #605 Pastry (by the ounce)

An extremely light-bodied mixture of seasoned, ribbon-cut lemon tobaccos of the highest grade from Brazil's Rio Grande de Sol. This tobacco is a wonderful morning or afternoon smoke with a unique pastry aroma.

McClelland Bulk #610 Caramel (by the ounce)

A medium mixture of lemon ribbon, broken Burley-Virginia Cavendish and Special Black. A slow-burning, satisfying smoke that will appeal especially to those who enjoy the caramel flavor and aroma of a rich Cavendish mixture.

McClelland Bulk #615 Calypso Black (by the ounce)

A mysteriously provocative tobacco having a distinctive character with a universally appealing aroma both in the pouch and in the room. Soft, sweet, refined black cavendish.

McClelland Bulk #620 Mocha Black (by the ounce)

This Black Cavendish is rich with coffee extract and dark chocolate. You will think you can taste Chicory in this hearty coffee blend. It has a delicious flavor, not too sweet, and is a very satisfying smoke.

McClelland Bulk #700 Baklava (by the ounce)

A rich, fragrant blend of Special Black and American Virginias and Carolinas seasoned with a hint of Oriental and Burley-Virginia Cake Cavendish. Topped with a delicate honey-nut aroma reminiscent of the delicious, Greek Baklava.

McClelland Bulk #705 Walnut Liqueur (by the ounce)

This beautiful, mild Virginia is a complex and balanced blend of Lemon and Orange Carolinas and Virginia tobaccos of different styles with a small amount of high grade Brazilian for a touch of zest. English walnut and brandy fragrance.

McClelland Bulk #710 Columbian Mocha (by the ounce)

A smooth, medium mixture of Black Cavendish and Virginia tobaccos enhanced by the rich fragrance of dark chocolate and mellow Columbian coffee beans.

McClelland Bulk #715 Raspberries in Cream (by the ounce)

This is an elegant aromatic with the fragrance and flavor of fresh red raspberries in cream. Soft, light bodied, artfully flavored, this mixture of mold American Virginias and Special Black is delicious all the way down the bowl.

McClelland Bulk #720 Grand Marnier (by the ounce)

Very satisfying with a mellow, nutty flavor, this medium mixture is based on fully-rubbed Burley-Virginia Cake Cavendish and is seasoned with black ribbon, Middle and Eastern Belt lemon a very small amount of Xanthi. The orange liqueur top note combines well with this blend to produce a truly refined aroma.

McClelland Bulk #800 Black and Lemon (by the ounce)

Unusual for an aromatic tobacco, composed of Black Cavendish and Carolina ribbon with a rich vanilla and caramel aroma aged into the leaf using and English heat-seasoning process. The burning aroma is beautiful and light.

McClelland Bulk #805 Carolina Deluxe (by the ounce)

This is the lighter-bodied companion to #800, based on an all orange and lemon Carolina and blended with a small amount of Black Cavendish. Complex, delicate flavors.

McClelland Bulk #815 Strawberry Daiquiri (by the ounce)

A cool, refreshing aromatic with the fragrance and flavor of fresh strawberries laced with rum and a hint of citrus. Light-bodied, sweet, this mixture of lemon and orange Virginias and Black Cavendish makes a delicious smoke.

McClelland Bulk #820 Amaretto Amore (by the ounce)

The Amaretto flavor of this delightfully aromatic Virginia-Black Cavendish blend fills the mouth with pleasure as does its liqueur counterpart. Why Amore? Because you will "love" the way this tobacco holds its flavor all the way down the bowl.

McClelland Bulk M27 Three Cherries (by the ounce)

Three deliciously different cherry flavors - refreshing Duke, fermented Maraschino and rich Kansas Sweet - grace this balanced blend of lemon Virginia and Black Cavendish.

McClelland Bulk M34 Carnival (by the ounce)

Think of the aromas of candied apples, fresh popcorn and rich creamy ice cream all rolled togehter the way they were at the carnival when you were a youngster. Then smell this light Tennessee Burley. This pleasantly aromatic, easy packing, cavendish-cut tobacco makes a delightful, relaxing smoke.

McClelland Bulk M40 Rum Toddy (by the ounce)

A wonderfully tipsy blend of lemon and orange flue-cured Virginias and sweet, mellow Black Cavendish.

McClelland Bulk M55 Georgian Cream (by the ounce)

This flavor has delighted American palates as far back as the Revolution. The basic combination of orchard fruit (chiefly peach), nut and honey can be found in the desserts known to have delighted Presidents Jefferson and Madison. A delicate balance has been achieved here. There is the real tobacco taste of the fine Virginias and Burleys and Black Cavendish, but then there is the hint of sweetness and the faint aroma of some fine confection.

McClelland Bulk M58 Apricot Brandy (by the ounce)

This tobacco's extremely enticing aroma is derived from the skillful blending of five tropical flavors with brandy. Ribbon-cut Black Cavendish is seasoned with high-grade, flue-cured Virginia and Kentucky Burley tobaccos for a rich, generously sweet flavor.

McClelland Bulk M60 Brandywine (by the ounce)

A blend of Virginias, Burleys and Black Cavendish, flavored with Brandy. It is mild and rich and mellow. It relaxes and soothes and makes way for meaningful perceptions.

McClelland Bulk M93 Topper (by the ounce)

Premium-grade and beautiful. In this elegant mixture, flue-cured Virginia tobaccos from the Eastern Carolinas and Brazil are blended with our special Black Cavendish and lightly flavored with a subtly fragrant butterscotch topping. Satisfying smoking and pleasant aroma will make this many a smoker's favorite all-day tobacco.

McClelland Bulk VBC Vanilla Black Cavendish (by the ounce)

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) Take 6 (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane TK6

Relax. Take 5. Take another moment to savor this balanced blend of black Cavendish, virginia and burley. A subtle, sweet cherry-lik aroma distringuishes this mello yet robust tobacco.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) McCherry (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane Very Cherry

A rich, traditional blend of Toasted Cavendish, Burleys and Bright Virginias seasoned with a unique sweet cherry flavor for a smooth, delightful smoke.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Dunhill Match) A.M. Pipe (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

AMPipe is like Dunhill Early Morning Pipe

AM Pipe is a top-quality, traditional light English tobacco, perfect for smoking in the morning when there's a nip in the air, the dew in on the grass and the day holds infinite possibilities.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) TQ (by the ounce)

NEW! McClellands answer to Lane's 1Q. It is (according to ASP members) very similar to Butternut Burley.

Top Quality Aromatic. Smooth, medium aromatic - consistent quality, very pleasant vanilla roma, easy packing, rich and creamy!

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) TG 2008 (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane HG2000

Rich and Toasted Cavendish, deep with Burley’s nut-like flavor, brightened with just enough golden Virginia. Mild and delightfully aromatic.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) TGL (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane HGL

Toasted Cavendish, Burley and Golden Virginia season with just enough Cyprian Latakia to produce a cool-smoking, sweet full-bodied, slow-burning tobacco

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) EL-7 (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane LL7

Black Cavendish, burley and golden Virginias – seven leaves altogether – create an unsurpassed smoke with zesty tastes and enchanting aroma

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) TG-3 (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane HS3

A very pleasant sweet vanilla aroma sets this balanced blend of golden cavendish tobaccos apart from all the rest. It’s also a great smoke

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) MC1000 (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane MC1000

Golden Virginias, mellow and ripe, blended to perfection and enhanced with a sublte aromatic fragrance.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) Nutty Hazel (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane Hazelnut

Burley, golden Virginia and Black Cavendish are superbly balanced in this full bodied blend, richly flavored with roasted hazelnut extract.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) McRaspberry (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane Black Raspberry

A wonderful black raspberry aroma distinguishes this well-rounded blend of Black and golden Cavendish tobaccos. Rich and smooth and delightfully aromatic.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) RSVP (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane RLP-6

Called “Invitation”. Classic, satisfying and very pleasant blend.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (Lane Match) BB (by the ounce)

New Match Blend!

Like Lane BLWB

Biteless Burley. It’s light. It’s nutty and rich. It’s smooth and has a wonderful vanilla character. It won’t bite and it won’t go flat.

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (DUNHILL Match) Nine to Five 925 (by the ounce)

Like Dunhill #965

McClelland Bulk Avenue Blend (DUNHILL Match) P.M. Pipe - PM (by the ounce)

Like Dunhill Nightcap

http://pipesandcigars.com/mcclellandbulk.html

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:07 pm

I cannot recommend McC 5110 Full English.

It is supposed to be a bulk version of Frog Morton (or maybe FMOTT, I forget). It has a lot of latakia, but not a lot of zing or pazzazz.

I'm fond of Penzance; the 5110 doesn't seem to have the orientals I want. I find it flat.

If anyone wants to disagree, please do. I love the McClelland line of virginias, but this one doesn't impress me.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Del wrote:I cannot recommend McC 5110 Full English.

It is supposed to be a bulk version of Frog Morton (or maybe FMOTT, I forget). It has a lot of latakia, but not a lot of zing or pazzazz.

I'm fond of Penzance; the 5110 doesn't seem to have the orientals I want. I find it flat.

If anyone wants to disagree, please do. I love the McClelland line of virginias, but this one doesn't impress me.
Whats Penzance like? Does it come in bulk too?
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Anyone tried McClelland Bulk MC 2040 yet?
"Let it be understood that those who are not found living as He taught are not Christian- even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." - Justin Martyr  ( c.160 )

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.” - Venerable Servant of God, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:28 am

Kerdy wrote:Anyone tried McClelland Bulk MC 2040 yet?
I have. I found it quite nice (so I ordered some more!) It dosen't have the sweetness of 2045 but it makes a good trade-off. It has far more cyprian latakia than 2045 but It dosen't taste all that much like an English blend (say, Westminster) to me. I found it very mild and tasty, smoking all the way to the bottom of the bowl and leaving a fluffy gray ash. It left my pipe smelling fresh, too. It creates lots of smoke and beautiful smoke rings and smells like a campfire.
What's not to like?
I hope my order shows up soon!

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:53 am

Penzance comes in 2 oz or 8 oz if you can find it. Esoterica tobaccos have been scarce lately.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:58 am

5110 is my favorite. I also like Penzance, but 5110 is my fav.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

Kerdy
Smootchie
Smootchie

Post by Kerdy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:18 pm

Hovannes wrote:
Kerdy wrote:Anyone tried McClelland Bulk MC 2040 yet?
I have. I found it quite nice (so I ordered some more!) It dosen't have the sweetness of 2045 but it makes a good trade-off. It has far more cyprian latakia than 2045 but It dosen't taste all that much like an English blend (say, Westminster) to me. I found it very mild and tasty, smoking all the way to the bottom of the bowl and leaving a fluffy gray ash. It left my pipe smelling fresh, too. It creates lots of smoke and beautiful smoke rings and smells like a campfire.
What's not to like?
I hope my order shows up soon!
Thanks! You sold me on trying it out!

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:20 am

Rusty wrote:McClelland Tobacco Company.

Bulk
#2000 "Fragrant Matured Virginia Cake"
#2010 "Classic Virginia" Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange, and orange-red Virginias
#2015 "Virginia Flake" Orange and Red Virginias with St. James Perique
#2020 "Matured Cake Mixture" Fine matured Virginia with Orientals
#2025 "English Cavendish" Small-flake Lemon Brazilian and orange Virginia with Xanthi
#2030 "Balkan" Stoved Virginias, Cyprian Latakia, Lemon Carolina and Greek Orientals
#2035 "Dark Navy Flake" Eastern Belt Lemon leaf and cutter grade tobaccos, pressed cake
#2040 "Cyprian Mixture" Full Latakia with Orientals and Carolina, light nut topping
#2045 "Oriental Mixture" Orientals and Carolina with less Latakia than #2040
#2050 "Oriental Cavendish Mixture" Oriental, Virginia Cavendish, Black Cavendish
#5100 "Red Cake" English Virginia. Sweet, fully rubbed matured cake
#5105 "Stoved Virginia" Black Virginia broken flake
#5110 "Dark English Full" Full Latakia with stoved Virginia and Orientals
#5115 "Old World Classic Cake" Lemon and orange-red Virginia, with light fruit topping
#5120 "Fragrant Virginia Ribbon Blend" Red and stoved Virginias, fully rubbed out.
#5125 "Coyote Classic Full" Full Latakia and Turkish with matured Virginia

Tinned blends by McClelland:
Green label (Oriental:)
No.1 Matured Virginia and Orientals
No.6 Middle and Eastern Belt Orange Virginias, Orientals, and a hint of Latakia
No.8 Fully rubbed matured Red cake Virginia, Latakia, and Turkish.
No.12 Orange & Red Virginias with light Turkish and Latakia
No.14 Full Latakia with Stoved Virginia and Turkish ("Scottish" blend)

Brown label (Virginia:)
No.22 Eastern and Middle Belt Virginia cake.
No.24 Old and Middle Belt flake with Turkish Drama leaf.
No.25 Red and Black aged Virginia cake, fully rubbed out.
No.27 Orange-red, shag cut Virginia cake.

Black label (Personal Reserve:)
"Navy Cavendish" Pressed cake aged with Dark Jamaican Rum.
"Blackwoods Flake" Red and Black Stoved Virginia.
"Dark Star" Top-grade stoved Virginia and Carolina.
"St. James Woods" Broken Flake of Red and Black stoved Virginias with Perique.
"Bombay Court" Fine-cut Turkish, Latakia, and matured Virginias.
"Bombay Extra" Full Latakia, fine-cut Turkish, stoved Virginias and Perique.
"British Woods" Heavy Latakia and premium Macedonian tobaccos.

Red label:
"Dominican Glory" Mild aged Dominican cigar leaf with matured Virginia.
“Dominican Glory Maduro" Dark maduro cigar leaf, red and stoved Virginia.
“Christmas Cheer" Premium pressed single-crop Virginia flake.

Anniversary label:
"Anniversary" Red/Green Wax – released 2002/2005, Virginia’s with Cyprian Latakia

Craftsbury label:
"Virginia Woods" Matured Red, Black and Bright Virginia.
"Deep Hollow" Red and Black Stoved Virginia.
"Grey Havens" Light aromatic Burley and Matured Virginia with Louisiana Perique.
“Frog Morton" Full Latakia with Virginia and Black Cavendish.
“Frog Morton on the Town" Turkish Basma, Latakia, Black Cavendish and Virginia.
“Frog Morton on the Bayou" Balkan blend with Louisiana Perique.
221b Series label:
"Black Shag" Fine-cut Dark Stoved Virginia.
“Arcadia" English old-style Oriental mixture
“Honeydew”

Blakeney’s Best label:
"Choose Blakeney where toasting bans the bite for a smoke that's right"
"Acadian Ribbon" Toasted Matured Virginia’s, Perique
“Bayou Slices" Toasted Virginia’s and Perique
"Latakia Flake" Toasted English Mixture, Virginia’s, Cyprian Latakia, Xanthi, Yaka.
“Tawny Flake" Toasted Virginia Flakes, various Virginia’s

Syrian Latakia Series:
"Rose of Latakia" Toasted Matured Virginia’s, Perique
“Syrian Full Balkan" Toasted Virginia’s and Perique
"Syrian Super Balkan" Toasted English Mixture, Virginia’s, Cyprian Latakia, Xanthi, Yaka.

Grand Orientals Series:
"Black Sea Sokhoum" Matured Virginia’s and Samsun
“Classic Samsun" Matured Virginia’s and Samsun
“Drama Reserve" Virginia’s and Drama
“Katerini Classic" Virginia’s and Katerini Samsun
"Smyrna No. 1" Oriental Blend, Virginia’s, and Smyrna
"Yenice Agonya" Virginia’s and Yenidje
“Yenidje Highlander" Matured Red Virginia, Maryland, Syrian & Cyprian Latakia, and Yenidje
“Yenidje Supreme" Virginia’s, Xanthi Yenidje

McClelland blends under license:

ASHTON (Discontinued 2005):
"Black Parrot" Pressed flake of Virginia, Carolina, and Perique.
"Pebblecut" Pressed flake of Virginia, Red Carolina, Oriental and Perique.
"Brindle Flake" Pressed flake of various Virginias.
“Old Dog" Cyprian Latakia, Xanthia, Virginia and black Cavendish.
“Celebrated Sovereign" Syrian Latakia, Dubec, black Cavendish, Carolina and Red Virginia.
“Old Church" Aromatic. Virginia with Carolina and black Cavendish

BUTERA:
"Blended Flake" Virginias, Carolina, Orientals and Perique.
"Golden Cake" pressed golden Virginia cake.
"Dark Stove" pressed dark stoved Virginia cake.
"Matured Ribbon" pressed lemon, red, and black stoved Virginia cake.
"Sweet Cavendish" Bright Red & Orange Virginia's and Toasted Black Green River.
"Latakia #1" Cyprian Latakia, Basma, Carolina and Virginias.
“Latakia #2" Cyprian Latakia, Turkish, Orientals, red and orange Virginias, toasted Carolina.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Tatanka
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House
Recently Discovered CPS is a Nut House

Post by Tatanka » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:20 pm

This is an awesome list. I printed it off for future reference.
I'm going to have to go back to the info Del sent me some time back and see if I can find the notes to help me distinguish between a Balkan, and an English. I'm still even hazy 'still' over the differences between the Virginias and Burleys. Don't anyone waste the time reminding me, for I have the info, just have to go dig it out of my file.

At my age I seem to almost have come to the place of needing flash cards. :(

I think the citrus flavors fall more in the Virginias with Burleys being heavier with nicotine. I'm not into nicotine for a fix; so I prefer keeping a way of these strong Vitamin N blends.

Can anyone answer whether McClelland is noted for PRIMARILY being a, or leaning toward English blends or Balkins? If you had several corrals, into which 'horses' would you find the MOST of those with the 'brand' of Mcclelland on 'em. Virginia, Burley, Balkins, Lakatia, etc. ?
Soli Deo Gloria!

"If the doors (windows) of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it is - infinite." ~ William Blake

Briarfox
Brother of the Bum Blocks
Brother of the Bum Blocks

Post by Briarfox » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:27 pm

Great post thanks!

5100 is my daily smoke.
2010 is also a good one.
IC XC NIKA

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:55 am

I wish that McClelland had more non-aromatic burley blends. :(

Zed
Cross threaded, Self Quoting, One Pluser

Post by Zed » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:12 am

John-Boy wrote:

I really like the 5110. It is a nice balanced english smoke. Not exciting like Del pointed out but very much enjoyable.
YEAH COBS

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:19 am

Zed wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

I really like the 5110. It is a nice balanced english smoke. Not exciting like Del pointed out but very much enjoyable.
+1

I keep thinking about just breaking down and buying a bunch of it.
Sola Deo Gloria

Zed

Post by Zed » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:26 am

Gabriel wrote:
Zed wrote:
John-Boy wrote:

+1

I keep thinking about just breaking down and buying a bunch of it.
pipes and cigars sells it for $4 per oz and gets down to $3 per oz with higher volume. Not a bad deal at all when you think about it. FMOTT is approx $7.5 per oz in the 50gm tin.

I also noticed that on same site McC now has a Lane TK-6 knock off called TQ. I really really really want to give that a try.
YEAH COBS

Spyderweb
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Spyderweb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:57 pm

Is there an equivalent in bulk for the tinned McClelland Blackwoods Flake? I'd like to buy a pound if there is.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Spyderweb wrote:Is there an equivalent in bulk for the tinned McClelland Blackwoods Flake? I'd like to buy a pound if there is.
Nope. Each McClelland blend is exclusively either tinned or bulk. The tinned blends do not occur in bulk packaging. Nor do the bulk blends occur in McClelland tin packaging. The packaging is almost part of the blends identity.

Blackwoods Flake has no similar blend in the bulk line.

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:13 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:I wish that McClelland had more non-aromatic burley blends. :(
Look to C&D for those...
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm

+JMJ+
Rusty wrote:
Spyderweb wrote:Is there an equivalent in bulk for the tinned McClelland Blackwoods Flake? I'd like to buy a pound if there is.
Nope. Each McClelland blend is exclusively either tinned or bulk. The tinned blends do not occur in bulk packaging. Nor do the bulk blends occur in McClelland tin packaging. The packaging is almost part of the blends identity.

I don't think that he expects the exact same blend but just something close enough for govt. work.

#5120 is pretty close, overall. It may not be a flake (though with a lot of flakey bits, that prolly should be broken up), but it should still satisfy the urge as a rough analogue, methinks.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:48 pm

wosbald wrote:+JMJ+
Rusty wrote:

I don't think that he expects the exact same blend but just something close enough for govt. work.

#5120 is pretty close, overall. It may not be a flake (though with a lot of flakey bits, that prolly should be broken up), but it should still satisfy the urge as a rough analogue, methinks.
My goodness. These discussions over such prolonged period of times are weird.

You can't have tried #5120 if you're saying that it's similar to Blackwoods. I understand the way it reads. But the flavours are quite different. I think they're not mistakable for each under any circumstances. I've played with them trying to get something even remotely close to three McClelland tinned blends, that feature red & black Va: Dominion Glory Maduro, St. James Woods, and Blackwoods. Not even in the same ball park. I think the bulk combos available & that one can make are not even in the same city!

I think those three tinned blends are extremely good. BTW I add about 8-10% Perique to the Dominican Glory Maduro (mine is now 10 yo by McCl tin stamp date) and it really makes that one shine.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light