GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:50 am

BubbaJack wrote:I got back up on the horse again with about half a bowl.

10 min later during the bowl. Same effect.

Worse this time.

Tumbly rumbly as Tigger said. Inside out actually....

Perhaps it is just me and perique.
Let me know if you got both those PMs I sent you. One of them seems to have vanished from my sentbox!
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by donkeymule » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 am

MMMM Haddos! I love it and it gets better with age!
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

madmarv
Pastor
Pastor

Post by madmarv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 am

Haddo's is a yearly indulgence for me, I wouldn't dream of letting Spring start without it. It's my Easter tin. I seem to like it best at 6-12 mos, myself, but have only tried one sample that had been aged longer- 3yrs, I think. About a week after cracking the tin, it hits its peak for me.

My smoking buddy Ryan found it strong, and he's neither a lightweight (sorry Ryan) or a newbie, and he does like perique (esp in OJK and Bayou Morning.) It doesn't seem that strong to me, but then neither does 1792 Flake.

BJ. just seal it well, put it aside for a while, and try it again in a month or two. Or just send it to me. :yes:
Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. ~Irish Proverb

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ryland
More of this
More of this

Post by ryland » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:30 pm

I've got some seven year old Haddos in a mason jar. A great blend, but nicotine will get to me on an empty stomach with this blend.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:16 pm

My 3.5 ounces of Haddos, a mixture of early and later vintages, is still sitting in a jar, one of the jars to the left of the photo (in my rat thread) of the table in my living room with the pipe/tobacco cabinet on it, big jars to the left, lots of jelly jars on top and to the right. There is something about the flavor which has not made it a favorite with me, but I'll try to smoke a bowl of it again soon and re-evaluate. It is quality stuff, but maybe I just don't care for the topping, even though it's not flavored, just topped with rum or something. I like other tobaccos like that. I really haven't had a bowl of it in a year, so I might be completely wrong. I've certainly had plenty of other blends to smoke, and some just fall by the wayside. I'll post any revised thoughts when I try another bowl. At any rate, it won't get any worse sealed in that jar!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:35 am

fisherofpipes wrote:My 3.5 ounces of Haddos, a mixture of early and later vintages, is still sitting in a jar, one of the jars to the left of the photo (in my rat thread) of the table in my living room with the pipe/tobacco cabinet on it, big jars to the left, lots of jelly jars on top and to the right. There is something about the flavor which has not made it a favorite with me, but I'll try to smoke a bowl of it again soon and re-evaluate. It is quality stuff, but maybe I just don't care for the topping, even though it's not flavored, just topped with rum or something. I like other tobaccos like that. I really haven't had a bowl of it in a year, so I might be completely wrong. I've certainly had plenty of other blends to smoke, and some just fall by the wayside. I'll post any revised thoughts when I try another bowl. At any rate, it won't get any worse sealed in that jar!
Excellent. Smoking some now. Added a few drops of water to the jar, as this one is drying out a bit. These pretty little jars with a plastic-sealing lid from Wal-Mart will never outdo Mason/Ball jars!

Even dry, this has retained its flavor. Less of the topping, which for me is a plus.

A heady brew, and excellent accompaniment to my viewing of Sir Robin's near demise at the hands of the three-headed knight in my re-viewing of a certain Monty Python classic on Youtube...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs

Post by dasmokeryaget » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 am

BubbaJack wrote:I got back up on the horse again with about half a bowl.

10 min later during the bowl. Same effect.

Worse this time.

Tumbly rumbly as Tigger said. Inside out actually....

Perhaps it is just me and perique.
This is satanic tobacco. Renounce it at once and send the rest to me for proper exorcism by fire. :D

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:55 am

Yes, I may have to sacrifice some more again soon!

Heh, Bubba Jack: tumbly-rumbly (Tigger from Milne);

Back in the saddle again (from Aerosmith).

What a diversity of quotes!

(Well, really he said back up on the horse again, but same thing.)
Audita Musarum sacerdos

jj1015
Pastor
Pastor

Post by jj1015 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:28 am

madmarv wrote:Haddo's is a yearly indulgence for me, I wouldn't dream of letting Spring start without it. It's my Easter tin. I seem to like it best at 6-12 mos, myself, but have only tried one sample that had been aged longer- 3yrs, I think. About a week after cracking the tin, it hits its peak for me.

My smoking buddy Ryan found it strong, and he's neither a lightweight (sorry Ryan) or a newbie, and he does like perique (esp in OJK and Bayou Morning.) It doesn't seem that strong to me, but then neither does 1792 Flake.

BJ. just seal it well, put it aside for a while, and try it again in a month or two. Or just send it to me. :yes:
Curious! Interestingly enough, I think of Haddo's as a Spring blend, as well! I smoke it occasionally all year, but come April or so I'll go through a 2-ounce tin or two. Something about the flavor just seems perfect that time of year, in the same way that, say, Odyssey is my "Christmas" blend and Old Joe Krantz and Filmore seem a little better in the summer...

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:20 am

It's funny because, perique doesn't really bug me that much, but certain types of burley will knock me out...

On another note, I've got a bulging tin of Haddo's calling my name... may pop it soon.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:02 am

I just opened a seven-year old ten of Haddo's Delight gifted to me by our own Jocose. It was one of the few tins I brought back with this time around. I must say that upon opening this aged tin the aroma of figs and raisins was evermore present than a brand new tin of Haddo's. It was honestly so delectable smelling I thought I could it. Sugar crystals could be spotted as far as the eye could see and the tin was all types of deformed from the aging. The age has mellowed the blend a tad, but the spiciness of the perique still tingles the nostrils. I do not think I will be smoking anything else in the foreseeable future until this treat is no more.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 am

Joshoowah wrote:I just opened a seven-year old ten of Haddo's Delight gifted to me by our own Jocose. It was one of the few tins I brought back with this time around. I must say that upon opening this aged tin the aroma of figs and raisins was evermore present than a brand new tin of Haddo's. It was honestly so delectable smelling I thought I could it. Sugar crystals could be spotted as far as the eye could see and the tin was all types of deformed from the aging. The age has mellowed the blend a tad, but the spiciness of the perique still tingles the nostrils. I do not think I will be smoking anything else in the foreseeable future until this treat is no more.
I had a tin like that too that I got from Jocose. It was rounded out - top and bottom from all the microbial action going on. I actually opened it because I thought it might burst. And the tin aroma when I opened it was sweet and delectable.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:33 am

whoops
Last edited by Joshoowah on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Joshoowah wrote:I just opened a seven-year old ten of Haddo's Delight gifted to me by our own Jocose. It was one of the few tins I brought back with this time around. I must say that upon opening this aged tin the aroma of figs and raisins was evermore present than a brand new tin of Haddo's. It was honestly so delectable smelling I thought I could it. Sugar crystals could be spotted as far as the eye could see and the tin was all types of deformed from the aging. The age has mellowed the blend a tad, but the spiciness of the perique still tingles the nostrils. I do not think I will be smoking anything else in the foreseeable future until this treat is no more.
I love HD! I think 7 years matches the oldest tin I've enjoyed. It just gets better with age.

fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by fiddlestix » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 pm

parson wrote:
I love HD! I think 7 years matches the oldest tin I've enjoyed. It just gets better with age.

At the KC pipe show, someone shared some '03 HD with me. It was incredible!!

revspipes
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by revspipes » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 pm

I love this blend would smoke everyday if I had more than one tin hidden for a few years :)

rev

saltedplug
Usher
Usher

Post by saltedplug » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:46 am

Dark Flake is about 2 or 3 Xs the strength of Haddos, which in cigar language I would describe as medium full. If you like nicotine, smoke one of Litto Gomez's double ligero cigars, by far the strongest thing I've smoked in both the pipe tobacco and cigar worlds. I think eating a full meal is the best prescription to a strong smoke. I've smoked so much potent tobacco that I'm more or less immune. If it's after 8 or 9 at night I am almost certainly to select a full-bodied smoke.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Just finishing my 1st two ounce tin of this. I will likely get another soon, but try it as an evening pipe, and see it I might come to like it more.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:03 pm
Just finishing my 1st two ounce tin of this. I will likely get another soon, but try it as an evening pipe, and see it I might come to like it more.
Dont, Goose. I have a whole tin as an add for you in the box pass.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.