GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:50 am

BubbaJack wrote:I got back up on the horse again with about half a bowl.

10 min later during the bowl. Same effect.

Worse this time.

Tumbly rumbly as Tigger said. Inside out actually....

Perhaps it is just me and perique.
Let me know if you got both those PMs I sent you. One of them seems to have vanished from my sentbox!
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3150
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Panama City

Post by donkeymule » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:31 am

MMMM Haddos! I love it and it gets better with age!
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

User avatar
madmarv
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Hattiesburg MS

Post by madmarv » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 am

Haddo's is a yearly indulgence for me, I wouldn't dream of letting Spring start without it. It's my Easter tin. I seem to like it best at 6-12 mos, myself, but have only tried one sample that had been aged longer- 3yrs, I think. About a week after cracking the tin, it hits its peak for me.

My smoking buddy Ryan found it strong, and he's neither a lightweight (sorry Ryan) or a newbie, and he does like perique (esp in OJK and Bayou Morning.) It doesn't seem that strong to me, but then neither does 1792 Flake.

BJ. just seal it well, put it aside for a while, and try it again in a month or two. Or just send it to me. :yes:
Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. ~Irish Proverb

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Posts: 5322
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Post by MrPiper » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ryland
More of this
More of this
Posts: 2929
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:00 pm
Contact:

Post by ryland » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:30 pm

I've got some seven year old Haddos in a mason jar. A great blend, but nicotine will get to me on an empty stomach with this blend.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little to no influence on society." Mark Twain

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:16 pm

My 3.5 ounces of Haddos, a mixture of early and later vintages, is still sitting in a jar, one of the jars to the left of the photo (in my rat thread) of the table in my living room with the pipe/tobacco cabinet on it, big jars to the left, lots of jelly jars on top and to the right. There is something about the flavor which has not made it a favorite with me, but I'll try to smoke a bowl of it again soon and re-evaluate. It is quality stuff, but maybe I just don't care for the topping, even though it's not flavored, just topped with rum or something. I like other tobaccos like that. I really haven't had a bowl of it in a year, so I might be completely wrong. I've certainly had plenty of other blends to smoke, and some just fall by the wayside. I'll post any revised thoughts when I try another bowl. At any rate, it won't get any worse sealed in that jar!
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:35 am

fisherofpipes wrote:My 3.5 ounces of Haddos, a mixture of early and later vintages, is still sitting in a jar, one of the jars to the left of the photo (in my rat thread) of the table in my living room with the pipe/tobacco cabinet on it, big jars to the left, lots of jelly jars on top and to the right. There is something about the flavor which has not made it a favorite with me, but I'll try to smoke a bowl of it again soon and re-evaluate. It is quality stuff, but maybe I just don't care for the topping, even though it's not flavored, just topped with rum or something. I like other tobaccos like that. I really haven't had a bowl of it in a year, so I might be completely wrong. I've certainly had plenty of other blends to smoke, and some just fall by the wayside. I'll post any revised thoughts when I try another bowl. At any rate, it won't get any worse sealed in that jar!
Excellent. Smoking some now. Added a few drops of water to the jar, as this one is drying out a bit. These pretty little jars with a plastic-sealing lid from Wal-Mart will never outdo Mason/Ball jars!

Even dry, this has retained its flavor. Less of the topping, which for me is a plus.

A heady brew, and excellent accompaniment to my viewing of Sir Robin's near demise at the hands of the three-headed knight in my re-viewing of a certain Monty Python classic on Youtube...
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
dasmokeryaget
Has short thumbs
Has short thumbs
Posts: 12261
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Gentry Arkinsaw
Contact:

Post by dasmokeryaget » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:46 am

BubbaJack wrote:I got back up on the horse again with about half a bowl.

10 min later during the bowl. Same effect.

Worse this time.

Tumbly rumbly as Tigger said. Inside out actually....

Perhaps it is just me and perique.
This is satanic tobacco. Renounce it at once and send the rest to me for proper exorcism by fire. :D

User avatar
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer
Posts: 16091
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Kilmarnock, VA

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:55 am

Yes, I may have to sacrifice some more again soon!

Heh, Bubba Jack: tumbly-rumbly (Tigger from Milne);

Back in the saddle again (from Aerosmith).

What a diversity of quotes!

(Well, really he said back up on the horse again, but same thing.)
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

User avatar
jj1015
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 755
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN
Contact:

Post by jj1015 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:28 am

madmarv wrote:Haddo's is a yearly indulgence for me, I wouldn't dream of letting Spring start without it. It's my Easter tin. I seem to like it best at 6-12 mos, myself, but have only tried one sample that had been aged longer- 3yrs, I think. About a week after cracking the tin, it hits its peak for me.

My smoking buddy Ryan found it strong, and he's neither a lightweight (sorry Ryan) or a newbie, and he does like perique (esp in OJK and Bayou Morning.) It doesn't seem that strong to me, but then neither does 1792 Flake.

BJ. just seal it well, put it aside for a while, and try it again in a month or two. Or just send it to me. :yes:
Curious! Interestingly enough, I think of Haddo's as a Spring blend, as well! I smoke it occasionally all year, but come April or so I'll go through a 2-ounce tin or two. Something about the flavor just seems perfect that time of year, in the same way that, say, Odyssey is my "Christmas" blend and Old Joe Krantz and Filmore seem a little better in the summer...

User avatar
JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those
Posts: 7004
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: In the woods, VA

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:20 am

It's funny because, perique doesn't really bug me that much, but certain types of burley will knock me out...

On another note, I've got a bulging tin of Haddo's calling my name... may pop it soon.
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4481
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:02 am

I just opened a seven-year old ten of Haddo's Delight gifted to me by our own Jocose. It was one of the few tins I brought back with this time around. I must say that upon opening this aged tin the aroma of figs and raisins was evermore present than a brand new tin of Haddo's. It was honestly so delectable smelling I thought I could it. Sugar crystals could be spotted as far as the eye could see and the tin was all types of deformed from the aging. The age has mellowed the blend a tad, but the spiciness of the perique still tingles the nostrils. I do not think I will be smoking anything else in the foreseeable future until this treat is no more.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13688
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by Cleon » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 am

Joshoowah wrote:I just opened a seven-year old ten of Haddo's Delight gifted to me by our own Jocose. It was one of the few tins I brought back with this time around. I must say that upon opening this aged tin the aroma of figs and raisins was evermore present than a brand new tin of Haddo's. It was honestly so delectable smelling I thought I could it. Sugar crystals could be spotted as far as the eye could see and the tin was all types of deformed from the aging. The age has mellowed the blend a tad, but the spiciness of the perique still tingles the nostrils. I do not think I will be smoking anything else in the foreseeable future until this treat is no more.
I had a tin like that too that I got from Jocose. It was rounded out - top and bottom from all the microbial action going on. I actually opened it because I thought it might burst. And the tin aroma when I opened it was sweet and delectable.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4481
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:33 am

whoops
Last edited by Joshoowah on Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 2314
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Springfield, Missouri

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by parson » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:10 pm

Joshoowah wrote:I just opened a seven-year old ten of Haddo's Delight gifted to me by our own Jocose. It was one of the few tins I brought back with this time around. I must say that upon opening this aged tin the aroma of figs and raisins was evermore present than a brand new tin of Haddo's. It was honestly so delectable smelling I thought I could it. Sugar crystals could be spotted as far as the eye could see and the tin was all types of deformed from the aging. The age has mellowed the blend a tad, but the spiciness of the perique still tingles the nostrils. I do not think I will be smoking anything else in the foreseeable future until this treat is no more.
I love HD! I think 7 years matches the oldest tin I've enjoyed. It just gets better with age.

User avatar
fiddlestix
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1552
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by fiddlestix » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:36 pm

parson wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:I just opened a seven-year old ten of Haddo's Delight gifted to me by our own Jocose. It was one of the few tins I brought back with this time around. I must say that upon opening this aged tin the aroma of figs and raisins was evermore present than a brand new tin of Haddo's. It was honestly so delectable smelling I thought I could it. Sugar crystals could be spotted as far as the eye could see and the tin was all types of deformed from the aging. The age has mellowed the blend a tad, but the spiciness of the perique still tingles the nostrils. I do not think I will be smoking anything else in the foreseeable future until this treat is no more.
I love HD! I think 7 years matches the oldest tin I've enjoyed. It just gets better with age.

At the KC pipe show, someone shared some '03 HD with me. It was incredible!!

User avatar
revspipes
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1526
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by revspipes » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:48 pm

I love this blend would smoke everyday if I had more than one tin hidden for a few years :)

rev

saltedplug
Usher
Usher
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:34 am
Location: Piedmont, NC

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by saltedplug » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:46 am

Dark Flake is about 2 or 3 Xs the strength of Haddos, which in cigar language I would describe as medium full. If you like nicotine, smoke one of Litto Gomez's double ligero cigars, by far the strongest thing I've smoked in both the pipe tobacco and cigar worlds. I think eating a full meal is the best prescription to a strong smoke. I've smoked so much potent tobacco that I'm more or less immune. If it's after 8 or 9 at night I am almost certainly to select a full-bodied smoke.

User avatar
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
Location: Southern Arizona, U.S.A.

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by Goose55 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Just finishing my 1st two ounce tin of this. I will likely get another soon, but try it as an evening pipe, and see it I might come to like it more.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14541
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: GL Pease Haddo's Delight

Post by hugodrax » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:31 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:03 pm
Just finishing my 1st two ounce tin of this. I will likely get another soon, but try it as an evening pipe, and see it I might come to like it more.
Dont, Goose. I have a whole tin as an add for you in the box pass.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply