Last Tin Opened

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:46 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:I freed up a couple jars tonight sending samples, and am seriously considering (yes, pretty much a sure thing) cracking this Hermit Tobacco Antique Pressed Syrian Cake with the written date 4-2-04! Would be nice to try a blend I know for sure contains Syrian Latakia!

Hmmmm-checking TR, looks like Donkeymule has tried it!
What is the meaning of "Would be nice to try a blend I know for sure contains Syrian Latakia!"? Is this a simple date issue with you? Do you not understand that not all Syrian Lat was located in the Virginia warehouse that burned?
Or do you have trouble recognizing Syrian Lat so that some other evidence is required?
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:I freed up a couple jars tonight sending samples, and am seriously considering (yes, pretty much a sure thing) cracking this Hermit Tobacco Antique Pressed Syrian Cake with the written date 4-2-04! Would be nice to try a blend I know for sure contains Syrian Latakia!

What is the meaning of "Would be nice to try a blend I know for sure contains Syrian Latakia!"? Is this a simple date issue with you? Do you not understand that not all Syrian Lat was located in the Virginia warehouse that burned?
Or do you have trouble recognizing Syrian Lat so that some other evidence is required?
No, it's simpler than that. If I have ever had Syrian, it had to be in some really old tin that would be hard to distinguish anyway. I'll use this to try to distinguish the difference! I know all the Syrian didn't burn up, I'm just pretty sure I've never had a blend with it.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:08 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:

No, it's simpler than that. If I have ever had Syrian, it had to be in some really old tin that would be hard to distinguish anyway. I'll use this to try to distinguish the difference! I know all the Syrian didn't burn up, I'm just pretty sure I've never had a blend with it.
I never had Syrian until the late 90's. There was a reason for that and it wasn't inexperience on my part. There was no Syrian Latakia in any popular (ie brand name) blends from when I started in the early 70's until the late 90's. For all practical intents and purposes it went away in the 60's. It was not available in commercially significant quantities at all. I think you should be able to list the tins of tobacco that you've had and that contained any Latakia and were from the 60's. This should be a trivial exercise.

The answer to trying Syrian Lat is very simple and definitive - try any of the available blends that do contain Syrian Lat eg like McClelland's. You're far less likely to ever taste it if you continue to buy old tins off eBay because they're usually not old enough. Syrian stopped mass production in 1960. There would have remained some in mfg stocks for years but they were gradually replacing it with Cyprian Lat. How many 50 year old tins have you purchased? More recent tins since 1998 are much more likely to yield Syrian. And the most likely of all is current available stock!
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:
Rusty wrote:

I never had Syrian until the late 90's. There was a reason for that and it wasn't inexperience on my part. There was no Syrian Latakia in any popular (ie brand name) blends from when I started in the early 70's until the late 90's. For all practical intents and purposes it went away in the 60's. It was not available in commercially significant quantities at all. I think you should be able to list the tins of tobacco that you've had and that contained any Latakia and were from the 60's. This should be a trivial exercise.

The answer to trying Syrian Lat is very simple and definitive - try any of the available blends that do contain Syrian Lat eg like McClelland's. You're far less likely to ever taste it if you continue to buy old tins off eBay because they're usually not old enough. Syrian stopped mass production in 1960. There would have remained some in mfg stocks for years but they were gradually replacing it with Cyprian Lat. How many 50 year old tins have you purchased? More recent tins since 1998 are much more likely to yield Syrian. And the most likely of all is current available stock!
Well, I did just crack this tin (nice crumble cake with a bit of an essence-hope it's not too strong), and try to revel in the Syrian. I can't recall off hand trying any of the McClellands with Syrian; which ones are they? I have concentrated on McClelland Virginias...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:36 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:I can't recall off hand trying any of the McClellands with Syrian; which ones are they?
You're thinking about buying something from a store?

Wait... this is a moment to savor. 8)

I put together a small list of McCl Syrian blends for people who need help finding them here, fourth post down:
modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23074

Do you need help walking or typing too?

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:I can't recall off hand trying any of the McClellands with Syrian; which ones are they?
You're thinking about buying something from a store?

Wait... this is a moment to savor. 8)

I put together a small list of McCl Syrian blends for people who need help finding them here, fourth post down:
modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23074

Do you need help walking or typing too?
I did have a two bowl sample of FMATP a while back, so I guess I've had Syrian. Two bowls weren't enough, I suppose, to really make it stick in my memory.

I like the old tins I find on Ebay, but buy a lot more from internet stores. I just usually go for Virginias rather than Latakia. I like a Latakia blend once in a while, but I don't tend to seek them out as much.

Anyway, after I finish my dinner of bacon-wrapped filet mignon and a nice Rioja, I will smoke a large bowl of this Hermit APSC, and try to revel in the Syrian Latakia experience, if I'm still sober enough, and hope I make it to church on time!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

N8
Has Really "Nice Rings"
Has Really "Nice Rings"

Post by N8 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:18 pm

Balkan by Brebbia

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by donkeymule » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:25 pm

OH YESSS! Very, very good. Whenever I see the Hermit line pop up on ebay I try to snag them. I still have about 3 bowls left and I smoke it on special occasions. Let me know what you think of it when you try it.
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:38 pm

donkeymule wrote:

OH YESSS! Very, very good. Whenever I see the Hermit line pop up on ebay I try to snag them. I still have about 3 bowls left and I smoke it on special occasions. Let me know what you think of it when you try it.
Will smoke a bowl tonight now that I'm finished with my late dinner. I'll post my thoughts tomorrow if not tonight, since I need to be getting to bed-church tomorrow!

Yeah-this is very nice. I guess with my limited experience in comparing Syrian and Cyprian Latakia, the Syrian seems mellower. This blend is really nice after a good meal and with the dregs of the wine. I will not regret cracking this tin!
Last edited by fisherofpipes on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:52 pm

Oh sweet leaf doest thou sing for me?

Aye lad, in sweet surrender; such that women envy us. And we sing in hopes that thou shalt hear us and free us from this prison.

Ah! I have heard you....
I must be mad. MAD I tell you! I opened two 8 oz tins and freed them from cobwebs. A June 2005 tin of GLP Blackpoint, which is even now seducing me in a nice Peterson Deluxe 9S System. Plus an October 2007 tin of GLP Emabarcadero which has a most remarkable scent. She not only sings, she stinks too! Oh my. But I had my heart set on Latakia in a convivial context. And it is most satisfying.

And now something to view... while I stink up the house... Kingdom of Heaven. Who could deny a crusade with tobaccos like these? And hot chocolate. There. Now I am rich beyond the dreams of most ice encased canucks.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:03 am

Rusty wrote:Oh sweet leaf doest thou sing for me?

Aye lad, in sweet surrender; such that women envy us. And we sing in hopes that thou shalt hear us and free us from this prison.

Ah! I have heard you....
I must be mad. MAD I tell you! I opened two 8 oz tins and freed them from cobwebs. A June 2005 tin of GLP Blackpoint, which is even now seducing me in a nice Peterson Deluxe 9S System. Plus an October 2007 tin of GLP Emabarcadero which has a most remarkable scent. She not only sings, she stinks too! Oh my. But I had my heart set on Latakia in a convivial context. And it is most satisfying.

And now something to view... while I stink up the house... Kingdom of Heaven. Who could deny a crusade with tobaccos like these? And hot chocolate. There. Now I am rich beyond the dreams of most ice encased canucks.
Poetry, Rusty, simply poetry.

The Syrian in this Hermit Antique Pressed Syrian Cake is to my limited experience, mellower than the Cyprian I have more often smoked. It is really a nice nightcap after a gourmet meal and nice Rioja. I might even have to take a shot of Rakia afterwards. Yes, I can tell the difference between Syrian and Cyprian, even if I can't put it into coherent words yet. Whatever the difference in Syrian is, I like it, not that there is anything wrong with the other!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:42 am

fisherofpipes wrote:

Ah! I have heard you....

The Syrian in this Hermit Antique Pressed Syrian Cake is to my limited experience, mellower than the Cyprian I have more often smoked. It is really a nice nightcap after a gourmet meal and nice Rioja. I might even have to take a shot of Rakia afterwards. Yes, I can tell the difference between Syrian and Cyprian, even if I can't put it into coherent words yet. Whatever the difference in Syrian is, I like it, not that there is anything wrong with the other!
Having had my way with the Blackpoint I am now quenching my thirst for 'she who stinks'. And oh the promise of her stink is both fulsome and sweet. Sweet Embarcadero has developed a most satisfying balance between Izmir and the deep rich red Va. This is much better than it was when new. Just superb.

You should notice a more wine-like note from your Syrian than you would notice from Cyprian. I almost pulled a tin of Raven's Wing too. That has both Cyprian and Syrian. But standing in the cellar cradling a pound like a newborn I realized that more would be greedy. So I left her whining with the promise of a meeting in the future.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:46 am

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:

Ah! I have heard you....

Having had my way with the Blackpoint I am now quenching my thirst for 'she who stinks'. And oh the promise of her stink is both fulsome and sweet. Sweet Embarcadero has developed a most satisfying balance between Izmir and the deep rich red Va. This is much better than it was when new. Just superb.

You should notice a more wine-like note from your Syrian than you would notice from Cyprian. I almost pulled a tin of Raven's Wing too. That has both Cyprian and Syrian. But standing in the cellar cradling a pound like a newborn I realized that more would be greedy. So I left her whining with the promise of a meeting in the future.
I am indeed getting a more wine-like note, but then again, I'm drinking wine!

I will see how it strikes me tomorrow after church. I must say, I really enjoyed that bowl of the Hermit, and don't regret cracking it. It was just what I needed tonight.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Samuel Gawith Grousemoor. I have seen it spelled with a hyphen, Grouse-Moor, and have posted it as such in a couple threads, but I just looked at the tin, and there is no hyphen. I will post the name without the hyphen from now on.

On opening the tin, as soon as I unfolded the paper, the smell hit me. It smells to me like Cannon Plug, even though SG calls the Cannon Plug scent "sweet honeydew" and the Grousemoor scent "lemon grass." I have only had lemon grass in Oriental cooking, and it was hot and didn't smell anything like Grousemoor!

I like the stuff, even though the appearance and taste are both one-dimensional. I am starting to really like the most flowery, honeydew-ey, and I guess lemongrassy incarnations of the Lakeland toppings. It really doesn't burn very well, even when very dry, but that opinion has been formed after only one bowl.

Why did I open this tin? I ordered two of the last avaliable at $6.95 from JR Cigars, and since I had a spare jelly jar, and a spare tin to cellar, I thought that that I might as well try it. I think I can enjoy this blend, and if JR gets any more tins at that price, might stock up on a few.
Last edited by fisherofpipes on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

N8
Has Really "Nice Rings"
Has Really "Nice Rings"

Post by N8 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 pm

Ashton's Winding Road. Nice tin note of....fruit. Probably apricots. Not a bad smoke in the right pipe. Definitely an aromatic :)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:07 am

Opened a tin (the plastice zip-bag kind) of Jeffersonian Mix...

I dig it.

Bfreebern
Is it wrong to admire another mans wood?
Is it wrong to admire another mans wood?

Post by Bfreebern » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:17 am

Orlik Golden sliced

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 am

JimVH wrote: I dig it.
Groovy!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Opened a tin of F&T Vintage Flake from a trade with Jake, just because I was bored, I guess. Not regretting it: been smoking it the last three bowls, and just broke out some more. Seems fine right out of the tin without aging. Tin scent? Quality Virginia hay! Appearance? Loose but nicely mottled flake; yellows and browns, tiny flecks of black. Stoved, I guess, but so little there's no way to tell. A very basic light Virginia, but has a richness to it despite this. Very well-behaved. No special or unique qualities, but no faults I can see yet as well.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:07 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:Opened a tin of F&T Vintage Flake from a trade with Jake, just because I was bored, I guess. Not regretting it: been smoking it the last three bowls, and just broke out some more. Seems fine right out of the tin without aging. Tin scent? Quality Virginia hay! Appearance? Loose but nicely mottled flake; yellows and browns, tiny flecks of black. Stoved, I guess, but so little there's no way to tell. A very basic light Virginia, but has a richness to it despite this. Very well-behaved. No special or unique qualities, but no faults I can see yet as well.
Nothing Perique can't enhance!

I was debating opening some Blackwoods Flake and then, I thought, I'll add a little Perique... Then it occurred to me that the result is basically St. James Woods. So now I'm consoling myself, and not opening anything, with a nice Fonseca Cuban cigar while I think some more.