Last Tin Opened

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Last Tin Opened

Post by fisherofpipes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:29 pm

We have three threads on what we are smoking, four really with the new "smoking now" thread. We have a thread on last tobacco purchased.

There is nothing quite like opening a fresh (or aged!) tin, and being greeted with that aroma, appreciating the presentation (or not); I try to work through my jarred tobaccos, and opening a tin is usually a special occasion. It's either a new blend I want to try, or an older blend I have in my collection but have never tried.

What made you open your last tin? What were your initial impressions? Was the tin new or aged? Did you smoke it fast, or preserve most of it in a jar to return to occasionally?

My last opened was Aylesbury Sir John's Flake Virginia. I wanted to see that one long curled flake (that was a cool presentation!) and also to try a new Virginia. I have enjoyed it, find that it is good by itself and for blending, have about half of it in a jar now, but will still probably get through it fairly fast.

Is opening a tin as mundane as lighting your pipe, or is it akin to a religious experience? Somewhere in between?

Somewhere in between for me, but there is still something to breaking that seal that goes beyond the pipe smoking experience in itself. I would be interested in the way others think of popping a new one.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

N8
Has Really "Nice Rings"
Has Really "Nice Rings"

Post by N8 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Last opened for me was an 8oz. tin of Two Friends English Chocolate. New tin, jarred immediately. DepartedLight had been smoking it on many of our recent G+ hangouts, so I thought I'd pop my tin as well. It is a new blend to me and I'm enjoying it, and opening tins is always an awesome experience!

FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: Last Tin Opened

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:. . .Is opening a tin as mundane as lighting your pipe, or is it akin to a religious experience? Somewhere in between?. . .
Somewhere between. Opening a tin of new-to-me tobacco does tend to be an exciting time, especially if I've built up anticipation through reading reviews. A new tin almost always sets for a few weeks or months or even a year before I decide which pipe I'm going to smoke it in and when is the right time to open it. Sometimes I wait 'till I'm with a pipe smoking buddy. Sometimes I wait 'till I finish a big project. Every once in a while, I'll just decide I need a special treat after an especially tough day.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Popped open a tin of Haddo's Delight from April 2010 last week. Not the oldest in the cellar, but it was handy and I hadn't smoked HD since the Fall.

I absolutely love the tin aroma of HD and it just gets richer with age. Two bowls so far and it's been delightful. I sometimes wonder why i bother to buy or smoke anything else.

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Popped open a tin of Haddo's Delight from April 2010 last week. Not the oldest in the cellar, but it was handy and I hadn't smoked HD since the Fall.

I absolutely love the tin aroma of HD and it just gets richer with age. Two bowls so far and it's been delightful. I sometimes wonder why i bother to buy or smoke anything else.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:40 pm

Popped open a 50g tin of McCranie's Red Ribbon and jarred it. I've been trying to smoke through some of my jars before opening another but nothing in my current rotation sounded good. I usually immediately jar opened tins with the exception of really moist blends which I leave in the tin until they dry a bit. If there's a considerable amount left by the time it dries I'll go ahead and transfer it to a jar. I do enjoy opening new tins of blends I've not tried before or haven't had in a while. I've gotten a lot better at not having a gazillion tins open all at the same time. I have a quite a few tobaccos in my cellar that I've yet to try but there aren't any that I'm dying to open. I think I'm settling into a handful of blends that I really enjoy and keep in rotation.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:22 pm

McClellands Wilderness

Not old, but darned good.

It has only taken half the tin to earn its way to the top of my English favorites list.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 pm

JimVH wrote:McClellands Wilderness

Not old, but darned good.

It has only taken half the tin to earn its way to the top of my English favorites list.
Wilderness is good, but I like Deep Hollow better.

But the last tin I opened was Tudor Castle, and down to about 1 bowl left now. In fact, I smoked a bowl of it on the way home from work, and the spiciness of the perique seemed to be much more noticeable this evening.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:47 pm

I hadn't really thought about it until now, but I guess there is a certain anticipation to the experience of opening a new tin. Any new tins I buy are typically opened within a day or three unless they were bought for cellaring. I have been fortunate recently to pick up a few vintage tins for reasonable prices, so the last tin I opened was a tin of 1792 from 2000 and before that, a tin of Durbar from 2004. The anticipation was justified.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Last tin? An '02 McClelland Dominican Glory. I think I opened it over Xmas. It's empty now. But the first thing I did was empty the tin onto a few sheets of paper and then shake Perique all over it. One of these days I'm going to have to measure the amount of Perique! I add enough so that the blend turns to something more spicy-fruity. I sometimes have to add more. So far I've never added too much.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

jruegg
Mr. Eggs
Mr. Eggs

Post by jruegg » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Do jars count? If so I just popped a jar of Squadron Leader a couple days ago that was nearly a year old.

If this is only tins, then the last tin I popped was a Treasures of Ireland Shannon tin over Christmas with my dad in Florida.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

jruegg wrote:Do jars count? If so I just popped a jar of Squadron Leader a couple days ago that was nearly a year old.

If this is only tins, then the last tin I popped was a Treasures of Ireland Shannon tin over Christmas with my dad in Florida.
Yes, I suppose jars count when they've been sealed for a while. I once opened up a jar of PSLNF after more than a year, and the top almost blew off in my hand! It tasted very much different than when I put it in the jar as well.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:15 am

The last tin was Former's Cross Grain Flake, originally opened to celebrate JRR Tokien's birthday a couple of years ago The tobacco's long gone but I still have the tin. The closest I've come to a tin in recent times is a Luxury Pouch of PA, "unrolled" for breaking in last years Peterson 303.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:27 am

Two Friends English Chocolate
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak

Post by Hovannes » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:19 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Two Friends English Chocolate
How'd you like it, DL?

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:04 pm

GLP Triple Play.
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:07 pm

TwoXseveN wrote:GLP Triple Play.
That will be opened when I finish my Jackknife, but it is taking me a while to get through it. I like it, but too strong and elemental for an everyday smoke.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm nearly embarrassed to say that still get all kinds of excited about opening a tin.

I believe my last one was McClelland's Holiday Spirit.
Sola Deo Gloria

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:00 pm

Gabriel wrote:I'm nearly embarrassed to say that still get all kinds of excited about opening a tin.

I believe my last one was McClelland's Holiday Spirit.
I get excited about opening tins. My last was McCranies Red Ribbon. Goodness.

At this point I have a heap of jars I rather work through before opening another.

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:27 pm

I freed up a couple jars tonight sending samples, and am seriously considering (yes, pretty much a sure thing) cracking this Hermit Tobacco Antique Pressed Syrian Cake with the written date 4-2-04! Would be nice to try a blend I know for sure contains Syrian Latakia!

Hmmmm-checking TR, looks like Donkeymule has tried it!
Audita Musarum sacerdos