mac baren vanilla cream
I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:I'm about to open a rare one: Uptown's Tobaccos Monticello (C&D) from 2000, which is discontinued. "Sweed aged Red and Yellow Virginias, Perique and stoved Red Virginia."

I wanted to scan in an image, but my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing my printer right now...

I may do a first bowl, first impressions mini-review later. I debated opening this, but these old-style C&D tins aren't the best for aging, and it is already aged, of course.

Actually, the Ebay item link still works:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280723807011?ss ... 1439.l2649

Anyone know about this one? A bit of forgotten C&D history, it seems. Uptown doesn't even seem to carry C&D anymore at all.

Good call on opening this tin. Dry as a bone, and I will have to try to rehydrate it. Also, despite the tin description, this has Latakia in it, or I'm a fool. Wrong blend in the tin? I do see red and yellow Virginia; in fact that's all I see, other than the many black strands. If that's all Perique, this would be a Perique-bomb, so I'm guessing it's the Latakia I smell. Smells like Squadron Leader or a similar medium English.

Wow, bit of a mystery here! That's OK, I like mysteries! I don't know if I can really smoke it as dry as it is right now, but I'll hit it a couple times to see if I can tell if it's spoiled, or can be brought back!

OK, smoking a little. It's dry, but fine, or will be with a little moisture. That's definitely Latakia, but it's light. Strange that they messed up the tin description, or put the wrong blend in the tin.

I recommend opening any C&D tin from this period. Despite the plastic tightly wrapped around the tin, they do not retain moisture at all. The tobacco inside is in a sealed bag, which also does nothing to preserve the tobacco. C&D was so low tech in 2000!
This stuff really isn't so bad. It's true that C&Ds old-style tins dry out to dust almost, but a little water to rehydrate (then dry out again before smoking!) and the tobacco isn't spoiled at all. This is still a mystery blend that obviously isn't the tobacco described on the tin label, but it is a very nice light to medium English!
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by donkeymule » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:08 am

fisherofpipes wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:I'm about to open a rare one: Uptown's Tobaccos Monticello (C&D) from 2000, which is discontinued. "Sweed aged Red and Yellow Virginias, Perique and stoved Red Virginia."

I wanted to scan in an image, but my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing my printer right now...

I may do a first bowl, first impressions mini-review later. I debated opening this, but these old-style C&D tins aren't the best for aging, and it is already aged, of course.

Anyone know about this one? A bit of forgotten C&D history, it seems. Uptown doesn't even seem to carry C&D anymore at all.

Good call on opening this tin. Dry as a bone, and I will have to try to rehydrate it. Also, despite the tin description, this has Latakia in it, or I'm a fool. Wrong blend in the tin? I do see red and yellow Virginia; in fact that's all I see, other than the many black strands. If that's all Perique, this would be a Perique-bomb, so I'm guessing it's the Latakia I smell. Smells like Squadron Leader or a similar medium English.

Wow, bit of a mystery here! That's OK, I like mysteries! I don't know if I can really smoke it as dry as it is right now, but I'll hit it a couple times to see if I can tell if it's spoiled, or can be brought back!

OK, smoking a little. It's dry, but fine, or will be with a little moisture. That's definitely Latakia, but it's light. Strange that they messed up the tin description, or put the wrong blend in the tin.

I recommend opening any C&D tin from this period. Despite the plastic tightly wrapped around the tin, they do not retain moisture at all. The tobacco inside is in a sealed bag, which also does nothing to preserve the tobacco. C&D was so low tech in 2000!
This stuff really isn't so bad. It's true that C&Ds old-style tins dry out to dust almost, but a little water to rehydrate (then dry out again before smoking!) and the tobacco isn't spoiled at all. This is still a mystery blend that obviously isn't the tobacco described on the tin label, but it is a very nice light to medium English!

You know its funny but some of the english blends I prefer to smoke very dry. I have some of the early tins of english mixtures and I dont rehydrate them very much and in many instances I dont hydrate them at all.
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 am

donkeymule wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:

You know its funny but some of the english blends I prefer to smoke very dry. I have some of the early tins of english mixtures and I dont rehydrate them very much and in many instances I dont hydrate them at all.
Well, if you haven't scored a c.2000 tin from C&D off Ebay (have you?) you don't know dry. That was a failed experiment in tin construction! Still, the tobacco is unspoiled after the addition of a few drops of water for storage. What I want to know (and it would be hard to find out for sure) is what blend is this? I know Latakia from Perique, believe me, so what caused C&D to put the wrong blend in the tin? It is sort of intriguing me to have this mystery tobacco in my rotation right now.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Honore, by Honore! Really been wanting to try this one (not for too long; I just got it a few days ago!) so I have been smoking up my Black Parrot to free up a jar. Here is the one TR review, a good reviewer, but he wasn't impressed.

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail. ... H&TID=1161

Made in Germany, Balkan flake with Syrian Latakia? I'm there, and hope I like it more than he did. Update to come...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:21 pm

How about bulk baggie? Marble Kake - yum
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

so, I drank the whisky. » Bloodhound

TwoXseveN
I'm the Sassy One

Post by TwoXseveN » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:23 pm

St James Woods
I'm what some CPS'ers have called, "Better than advertised".

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:24 pm

DepartedLight wrote:How about bulk baggie? Marble Kake - yum
Well, I suppose since I started this thread I have to be the one to say whether that qualifies. Why not? You are trying a new blend, opening up a baggie and getting that first whiff, sure. Still to me, opening a tin is different. That turn of the coin? Irreversable! Here goes...
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:Honore, by Honore! Really been wanting to try this one (not for too long; I just got it a few days ago!) so I have been smoking up my Black Parrot to free up a jar. Here is the one TR review, a good reviewer, but he wasn't impressed.

http://tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail. ... H&TID=1161

Made in Germany, Balkan flake with Syrian Latakia? I'm there, and hope I like it more than he did. Update to come...
Paper insert is soaked through and still a bit damp, so some age but not that much. A few years, I guess. Has a casing, but no strong aromatic smells. Beautiful brown and black marbled "clump" of flake, I kind of get light berry topping like Three Year Matured (but been a while since I had that one). Don't really even smell the Latakia, but I see it.

Main reason for cracking this one? A Balkan Flake with Syrian Latakia! I wish I knew who blended it: best guess K&K, but it's a rare blend that seems to have come on the market and disappeared, so may be hard to find out. I'll smoke some in a couple hours for my last pipe.

Actually, double checking the tobaccos used, the Latakia is the only Oriental, so I guess not technically a Balkan. Burley and Maryland to make it a little different!

Interesting. Still marketed in Europe, at least.

http://pipe-shop.net/Shop/cgi-bin/his-w ... pe_tobacco

Sonstige listed as the "producer," but the item number makes it clear that I was right and that this is really K&K.

The majority of husbands remind me of an orangutan trying to play the violin.
Honore de Balzac

A grocer is attracted to his business by a magnetic force as great as the repulsion which renders it odious to artists.
Honore de Balzac

Laws are spider webs through which the big flies pass and the little ones get caught.
Honore de Balzac

Smart guy. Not to mention:

"Tobacco is a cure for the sickness of a civilization."

Just commented in the "Smoking" thread:

So far this English Flake with Syrian Latakia which is probably made by K&K is pretty good. The Latakia is a very mild undertone. There is some harshness in the overall blend so far, but this is my first bowl and I need to try it in different pipes of course. It reminds me a bit of that Bjarne "The Special One," which like this, has a little bit of Syrian Latakia in it, as well as a tendency to bite!

Really a lot like the Bjarne. Similar topping to boot, a light berry or fruit thing going on, but not an aromatic. Slight hint of Syrian Latakia, bites if provoked. I need to research Bjarne and see if these might have any connection. It's a nice smoke, though, in this first bowl. The bite potential is no problem for me by now; I just take it slowly!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:47 am

Tin opening extravaganza lately, due to freeing up some jelly jars.

Villiger 1888 After Dinner, third one of the series I've tried, or will have tried sometime today!

Looks like I've opened 8 tins since starting this thread, and I'm out of jelly jars and will buy no more, so may be a while before I crack another, but you never know... :twisted:
Audita Musarum sacerdos

FlyCruiser
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by FlyCruiser » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 am

McClelland Aurora. I'm liking it so far. Up next is McClelland Jubilee.
Wesley

"I'll take on all you sissies w/ one hand tied behind my back!" -Dennisthemenace

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:04 am

Opened a tin of Rattray's Red Rapparee yesterday morning. It was a beautiful spring morning and we were all home from church. I took the kids outside and sat on the porch smoking, reading, drinking coffee and watching them play. Truly a great morning.

Red Rapparee is even better than I remembered. A perfect spring morning tobacco. Great orientals with a little latakia. I actually took a picture to post for Rusty, as we had a small discussion about it last year, but the pics are on my computer at home.
Sola Deo Gloria

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:48 am

FlyCruiser wrote:McClelland Aurora. I'm liking it so far. Up next is McClelland Jubilee.
I was shocked at how articulate Aurora is. It's a good 'un. One to collect for its various ages for sure. And I do mean that. It's not just for aging but for sampling at various ages because I think that one will offer subtly different experiences at different ages. Jubilee was not as impressive. It seemed muddled to me so I have to disagree with the crowd on TR. Aurora is really something and Jubilee isn't as interesting. Another great one in the series is Tudor Castle. If you've never had Butera RV Blended Flake, Ashton Pebblecut, GLP's Embarcadero, or old Presbyterian, which was also in that category, then you're unaware of the fine possibilities of Va just spiced with light orientals and sometimes enhanced with a pinch of Perique. Tudor Castle is sublime.

Beacon wasn't as impressive either. I think their St. James Woods is far superior. Adding more Perique didn't really alter my feeling that Beacon is missing something. I haven't had Beacon Extra so I don't know if that one addressed the problem. But when I look at the description I think it might be breadth of Va flavour. So the next time I try it I will add some dark stoved Va and see if that perks it up.

I opened a tin of Murray's Erinmore flake to celebrate St. Patty's day. Somehow between then and now half the tin is gone. And I spent the day yesterday chasing pics without a pipe so I don't know where it's going. It's now about 7 yo and it's richer and thicker tasting than the new Danish version. The topping has only calmed down a little so it's still Erinmore. To my delight it looks much darker in the tin and it is starting to take on that dark chocolate flavour that was evident in an 18 yo tin that I enjoyed the year they shut down Murray's. I have pounds of this remaining. Thank goodness.

I also have a 5 yo tin of MacBaren's Burley London open and that has become more interesting. It's drier in the tin too so there is no bite at all and it smokes so clean that it's a no-fuss no-brainer. If there was honey topping it's gone now. It seems to be a perfectly serviceable richer white Burley with a bit of corkiness. I'll have to try it in my cavernous chambered Tinsky but the flavour is good even in small briars.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Just opened a tall tin of London Blend 1000 by Dan Tobacco. Tin scent is great.
DL Jake

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:59 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Just opened a tall tin of London Blend 1000 by Dan Tobacco. Tin scent is great.
I've been liking Dan, and yes, their tin scent is great!

I have been on a tin-opening hiatus since my fairly recent tin-opening binge, but will let everyone know when I do give way to temptation and crack another. Trying to get through some of those little jars right now!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:06 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
DepartedLight wrote:Just opened a tall tin of London Blend 1000 by Dan Tobacco. Tin scent is great.

I have been on a tin-opening hiatus since my fairly recent tin-opening binge, but will let everyone know when I do give way to temptation and crack another. Trying to get through some of those little jars right now!
I really like their Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, Good schtuff
DL Jake

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:

I really like their Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend, Good schtuff
Not had either of the two you've mentioned, but Treasures of Ireland Limerick was good, as well as the Former's Cross Grain, and I'm sure the other Former's are good as well. CAO Patriot Flake I have also had, and that is probably Dan as well. It was good. I hated TOI Shannon, but it was quality, just not my style of aro topping. I look forward to trying other Dan blends.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:19 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:

Do the jars contain objectionable tobaccos? Periodically you say you have to get through some of those little jars as if it's a day at work.

I have a nice block of Wessex Gold Brick in progress. It's quite nice though it hasn't really changed very much in 6 years or so. Maybe a touch more nutty flavoured. hard to tell. I'm also still working on a nice old tin of MacB Burley London Blend. It's quite good. I like it esp in the morning lately.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:33 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:

Do the jars contain objectionable tobaccos? Periodically you say you have to get through some of those little jars as if it's a day at work.

I have a nice block of Wessex Gold Brick in progress. It's quite nice though it hasn't really changed very much in 6 years or so. Maybe a touch more nutty flavoured. hard to tell. I'm also still working on a nice old tin of MacB Burley London Blend. It's quite good. I like it esp in the morning lately.
Actually, 90% or more of my 50 or so little jelly jars contain tobaccos I quite like. I have also many bulks in larger jars from 4 to 16 oz. It's just that I opened so many tins, trying to get my precious 200+ reviews on TR, or just to be able to try that much! Of course, I am always tempted to open a new tin: I love the experience of that. I just have jars on every surface in my house right now, and filling many drawers. I've gotten rid of most of the tobaccos I just can't smoke, but there are still so many in the little jars that I have to plan my rotation to get rid of the ones that are oldest. Jelly jars don't seem to age quite as well as full sized masons. Still, I am rediscovering things that really struck me three years ago, that I have neglected. Again, I've gotten rid of the blends it really pained me to smoke, so clearing out the jelly jars will be a long-term, yet pleasant project. Take McClelland Anniversary 2005, which I have been smoking today. Great stuff, and I like it better after almost three years in the jar!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 pm

On St. Patrick's Day, Cigarson and I opened a tin of Peterson Nutty Cut.

Tobacco Reviews page

This is an awesome aro. I don't miss Mac Baren Vanilla Cream at all.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4