Last Tin Opened

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Last Tin Opened

Post by Goose55 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Last night, cracked a tin of Gawith Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake. Really, really good tobacco, this is.

Surprised to see the flakes wrapped in clear plastic wrap, & closed with a piece of scotch tape.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

mont974x4
It's gotten old now
It's gotten old now

Post by mont974x4 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Robert Lewis 123 Mixture. It was gifted to me and is dated 12/1/15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounded better when the voices in my head were saying it.

Ire attracter-at-large and general misanthrope.

CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder

Post by CW Spook » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:57 am

Working my way through Russ'es Perique collection. Currently working on Golden Triangle Belmont, after finishing up South Vacherie.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm

Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm

I need to make a different label for that stuff. I love it, but my mom had the full on fantods when she saw a tin years ago and I haven't had the heart since.

Key Largo, PH Vigen.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:35 pm

Robert McConnell Latakia Flake.

I'm sending some out to Garyinva and Goose, (I think wanted some) tomorrow.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 pm
...had the full on fantods...
Lol, what?
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Lol, what?
An irrational response.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 pm
Gabriel wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Lol, what?
An irrational response.
I did deduce that much from the context. She upset about tobacco in general, or just Protestant tobacco?
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: Last Tin Opened

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Gabriel wrote:Image

I want to try this badly, and will likely be in my next order. Simply because I'm Scottish by heritage, and my ancestors were Covenanters.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:35 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:33 pm
Gabriel wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Lol, what?
An irrational response.
I did deduce that much from the context. She upset about tobacco in general, or just Protestant tobacco?
Yes. More so that her sainted son could be emulating schismatics, I'm afraid. Cancer of the body being preferable, as I understood it.

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:42 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

I want to try this badly, and will likely be in my next order. Simply because I'm Scottish by heritage, and my ancestors were Covenanters.

Well good luck to you there. It seems to be sold out more often than not. I usually look for some tins of it in Chicago at the show. Since I wasn't there this year, a kind CPSer sent this my way. :)
Sola Deo Gloria

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Exploring my little hall closet "cellar" for something else refreshing to smoke, I opened one of the 6 tins of McClelland's Aurora this afternoon, and will let it breath awhile to halt the fermentation process. This is a very good mix of Virginias ready rubbed with deep, complex flavors. I very much enjoyed a tin last summer, so I am looking forward to sipping this very fine blend.

Aurora is part of the 6-member Collector Blends produced by, and labeled as, McClelland. Excellent reviews on Tobacco Reviews.com...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/279 ... and-aurora
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 pm

I recently opened a tin of Rattrays Black Mallory - smoking something scottish for the first time.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm

Ether wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 pm
I recently opened a tin of Rattrays Black Mallory - smoking something scottish for the first time.
Aye, summer in the highlands... on High street in Perth. Nahh I always thought of it as Nouveau Deutschland, with overtones of Rellingen. Yeah, Lutheran. Definitely Lutheran. Well, not always, but for a long time now.

What makes it Scottish?
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:03 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Me too. Scottish... Aberdeen. Do you remember what I told you about Three Nuns? It's worse with this one. Think of this as Dark Lutheran Mixture. Don't associate it with Scotland. Because it changed so much that it actually jumped tobacco type classifications. It's nothing at all like what it was. You may like it but it ain't Presbyterian Mix. Maybe Non-denominational mix if you can't call it Dark Lutheran.

It must be that young pipe smokers are the last of the truly gullible. With iconic old brands it's very likely that they've traded hands multiple times and they've changed a lot. This one bears no resemblance to what it was.

There are a bunch of threads where Presbyterian Mix comes up.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:43 am

Rusty wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm
Ether wrote:
Aye, summer in the highlands... on High street in Perth. Nahh I always thought of it as Nouveau Deutschland, with overtones of Rellingen. Yeah, Lutheran. Definitely Lutheran. Well, not always, but for a long time now.

What makes it Scottish?
A Scottish blend, as I was told, is an English blend that contains a fair amount of Black Cavendish. I'm aware of the fact, that the change of manufacturers was downgrading tobaccos in a lot of cases... But anyway, I don't know the older stuff, so I've got nothing to compare, and nothing to complain about.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 am

Ether wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:43 am
Rusty wrote:
Ether wrote:

What makes it Scottish?
A Scottish blend, as I was told, is an English blend that contains a fair amount of Black Cavendish. I'm aware of the fact, that the change of manufacturers was downgrading tobaccos in a lot of cases... But anyway, I don't know the older stuff, so I've got nothing to compare, and nothing to complain about.
Don't worry, Rusty will be along shortly to tell you you are wrong.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 am
Ether wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Ether wrote:

What makes it Scottish?
Oh no he's not necessarily wrong. But it is a very recent American distinction. So if anybody is wrong, it's America.
It's not as if the Scots decided to distinguish their Latakia mixtures from English mixtures by adding Cavendish, historically speaking. Rattray referred to all of their mixtures as Scottish mixtures and some of them did contain Cavendish and some didn't. So the distinction was not part of history. The blends that Dunhill described as 'Scotch' did not necessarily contain Cavendish. Some Rattray recipes changed when Kohlhasse Kopp got them. For example, I think Highland Targe never had Cavendish in it in the past. But it apparently does today. So in adapting the recipe they apparently changed the type of mixture, according to Americans. Kohlhasse Kopp today refers to the Rattray Latakia mixtures as English mixtures. Kohlhasse Kopp appears not to acknowledge the new distinction. The term 'English mixture' or 'English blend' is probably American in origin too. Ehwa lumped them together as English-Scottish mixtures and did not distinguish English from Scottish. Distinguishing Scottish from English with the presence of Cavendish is new. Why would some Cavendish matter so much as to change the type of blend?

I should have mentioned this abuse on the recent international Pew Research survey concerning attitudes to Trump and Americans generally. You don't have to follow them, Ether.

There is a more interesting and historical distinction. The Scots, and tobacco makers in Glasgow specifically, had a long relationship with American tobacco growers. Look up the Glasgow Tobacco lords. While the Brits tended to use Empire grown leaf (not American), probably for economic reasons, the Scots did use American leaf and esp. American Virginia tobaccos. So one of the things that was apparent with original Rattray blends was that they tended to be much more lively and even bite you. Plus the colours of the leaf gave it away. Of course this doesn't necessarily apply to the constituents of tobacco blends generally. For example, if you read original Dunhill blend descriptions it is obvious that they used American leaf in many mixtures too.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:27 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 am
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 am
Ether wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Ether wrote:

What makes it Scottish?
Oh no he's not necessarily wrong. But it is a very recent American distinction. So if anybody is wrong, it's America.
It's not as if the Scots decided to distinguish their Latakia mixtures from English mixtures by adding Cavendish, historically speaking. Rattray referred to all of their mixtures as Scottish mixtures and some of them did contain Cavendish and some didn't. So the distinction was not part of history. The blends that Dunhill described as 'Scotch' did not necessarily contain Cavendish. Some Rattray recipes changed when Kohlhasse Kopp got them. For example, I think Highland Targe never had Cavendish in it in the past. But it apparently does today. So in adapting the recipe they apparently changed the type of mixture, according to Americans. Kohlhasse Kopp today refers to the Rattray Latakia mixtures as English mixtures. Kohlhasse Kopp appears not to acknowledge the new distinction. The term 'English mixture' or 'English blend' is probably American in origin too. Ehwa lumped them together as English-Scottish mixtures and did not distinguish English from Scottish. Distinguishing Scottish from English with the presence of Cavendish is new. Why would some Cavendish matter so much as to change the type of blend?

I should have mentioned this abuse on the recent international Pew Research survey concerning attitudes to Trump and Americans generally.
Might have been better than in a "last tin opened" thread, you think? I dunno.