hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:15 am
Ether wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:43 am
Rusty wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:30 pm
Ether wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:29 pm
I recently opened a tin of Rattrays Black Mallory - smoking something scottish for the first time.
Aye, summer in the highlands... on High street in Perth. Nahh I always thought of it as Nouveau Deutschland, with overtones of Rellingen. Yeah, Lutheran. Definitely Lutheran. Well, not always, but for a long time now.

What makes it Scottish?
A Scottish blend, as I was told, is an English blend that contains a fair amount of Black Cavendish. I'm aware of the fact, that the change of manufacturers was downgrading tobaccos in a lot of cases... But anyway, I don't know the older stuff, so I've got nothing to compare, and nothing to complain about.
Don't worry, Rusty will be along shortly to tell you you are wrong.
Oh no he's not necessarily wrong. But it is a very recent American distinction. So if anybody is wrong, it's America.
It's not as if the Scots decided to distinguish their Latakia mixtures from English mixtures by adding Cavendish, historically speaking. Rattray referred to all of their mixtures as Scottish mixtures and some of them did contain Cavendish and some didn't. So the distinction was not part of history. The blends that Dunhill described as 'Scotch' did not necessarily contain Cavendish. Some Rattray recipes changed when Kohlhasse Kopp got them. For example, I think Highland Targe never had Cavendish in it in the past. But it apparently does today. So in adapting the recipe they apparently changed the type of mixture, according to Americans. Kohlhasse Kopp today refers to the Rattray Latakia mixtures as English mixtures. Kohlhasse Kopp appears not to acknowledge the new distinction. The term 'English mixture' or 'English blend' is probably American in origin too. Ehwa lumped them together as English-Scottish mixtures and did not distinguish English from Scottish. Distinguishing Scottish from English with the presence of Cavendish is new. Why would some Cavendish matter so much as to change the type of blend?

I should have mentioned this abuse on the recent international Pew Research survey concerning attitudes to Trump and Americans generally.
Ha! Well, we can always agree on the "America is wrong" part. But on the other hand, there's a lot of terminology that arises from something like an a posteriori point of view. I'm pretty sure that no one living in 1200 used the expression "Middle Ages", nevertheless it's the common term nowadays :wink: Tobacco nomenclature is really confusing for novice pipe-smokers, my best guess is to not believe the tin descriptions and search for further wisdom... in this sense: thank you for sharing, I'm always eager to learn something new!

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Last Tin Opened

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 am

Ether wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:40 am
Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:48 am
hugodrax wrote:
Ether wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Ether wrote:
I recently opened a tin of Rattrays Black Mallory - smoking something scottish for the first time.
Aye, summer in the highlands... on High street in Perth. Nahh I always thought of it as Nouveau Deutschland, with overtones of Rellingen. Yeah, Lutheran. Definitely Lutheran. Well, not always, but for a long time now.

What makes it Scottish?
A Scottish blend, as I was told, is an English blend that contains a fair amount of Black Cavendish. I'm aware of the fact, that the change of manufacturers was downgrading tobaccos in a lot of cases... But anyway, I don't know the older stuff, so I've got nothing to compare, and nothing to complain about.
Oh no he's not necessarily wrong. But it is a very recent American distinction. So if anybody is wrong, it's America.
It's not as if the Scots decided to distinguish their Latakia mixtures from English mixtures by adding Cavendish, historically speaking. Rattray referred to all of their mixtures as Scottish mixtures and some of them did contain Cavendish and some didn't. So the distinction was not part of history. The blends that Dunhill described as 'Scotch' did not necessarily contain Cavendish. Some Rattray recipes changed when Kohlhasse Kopp got them. For example, I think Highland Targe never had Cavendish in it in the past. But it apparently does today. So in adapting the recipe they apparently changed the type of mixture, according to Americans. Kohlhasse Kopp today refers to the Rattray Latakia mixtures as English mixtures. Kohlhasse Kopp appears not to acknowledge the new distinction. The term 'English mixture' or 'English blend' is probably American in origin too. Ehwa lumped them together as English-Scottish mixtures and did not distinguish English from Scottish. Distinguishing Scottish from English with the presence of Cavendish is new. Why would some Cavendish matter so much as to change the type of blend?

I should have mentioned this abuse on the recent international Pew Research survey concerning attitudes to Trump and Americans generally.
Ha! Well, we can always agree on the "America is wrong" part. But on the other hand, there's a lot of terminology that arises from something like an a posteriori point of view. I'm pretty sure that no one living in 1200 used the expression "Middle Ages", nevertheless it's the common term nowadays :wink: Tobacco nomenclature is really confusing for novice pipe-smokers, my best guess is to not believe the tin descriptions and search for further wisdom... in this sense: thank you for sharing, I'm always eager to learn something new!
LOL!

It's not as if the 21st C is formative for refining the names of pipe tobacco or renaming the shapes of some pipes. There is a convention that existed right through the 20th C at least. And nobody, AFAIK, was distinguishing scottish from english blends by the presence of Cavendish until very recently. Plus it is not generally the case outside America. The KK example is only one case. The Americans dominate the web, by virtue of numbers and less tobacco control, on all things pipe and pipe tobacco related. But we don't have to follow them on stupid things. And this appears stupid.

I'm not convinced that the distinction is needed or is even useful. It's evident that it is not a historical distinction. Calling an iconic english blend, like Dunhill MM 965, a scottish blend has got to be considered revisionist & wacko.

Apparently, GL Pease hasn't yet followed the herd in this new definition. In his FAQ he writes:
GL Pease wrote:Q: What is generally meant by "English," "Scottish," and "Balkan" style?

A: The definitions of these terms seem somewhat fluid, apart from the fact that all tobaccos bearing these appellations contain Latakia. To my mind, it's more important to consider the difference between an English mixture and a Scottish one. In the first case, Latakia is a more dominant note, with Virginias and orientals filling in the gaps. A Scottish style blend, on the other hand, is dominated by matured virginias, possibly with small amounts of oriental leaf or a bit of Latakia for spice.
No mention of Cavendish from him.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:35 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 am
Ether wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Ether wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Ether wrote:

What makes it Scottish?

LOL!

It's not as if the 21st C is formative for refining the names of pipe tobacco or renaming the shapes of some pipes. There is a convention that existed right through the 20th C at least. And nobody, AFAIK, was distinguishing scottish from english blends by the presence of Cavendish until very recently. Plus it is not generally the case outside America. The KK example is only one case. The Americans dominate the web, by virtue of numbers and less tobacco control, on all things pipe and pipe tobacco related. But we don't have to follow them on stupid things. And this appears stupid.

I'm not convinced that the distinction is needed or is even useful. It's evident that it is not a historical distinction. Calling an iconic english blend, like Dunhill MM 965, a scottish blend has got to be considered revisionist & wacko.
Obviously you have a point here... top-down enforced changes of language patterns seem to be a sign of beginning totalitarism. I am willing to side with you in this and therefore dump the idea of Scottish blends forever.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:05 am

Ether wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:35 am
Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:00 am
Ether wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Ether wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Ether wrote:

What makes it Scottish?

LOL!

Obviously you have a point here... top-down enforced changes of language patterns seem to be a sign of beginning totalitarism. I am willing to side with you in this and therefore dump the idea of Scottish blends forever.
Good man. Now if Americans would only look at this craziness with Cavendish we might be ready to solve real problems.

I added GL Pease's comments from his FAQ on the distinction of scottish from english to my last post. I suspect that he's thinking of Dunhill London Mixture vs. Rattray's Highland Targe as specific examples. But he doesn't distinguish scottish from english based upon the presence of Cavendish. And his FAQ goes back to the early 2000's. It tells us how recent this strange and wrong Cavendish distinction really is. I think rejecting it is quite reasonable and consistent with history.

In the old days DAFT was the German language pipe discussion group and they were peer with the American Usenet group Alt.smokers.pipes so this sort of adventure with renaming things would have been opposed. Tell all your friends and the European pipe discussion forums that a rebellion is in the works.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

Ether
Usher
Usher

Post by Ether » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:05 am
Tell all your friends and the European pipe discussion forums that a rebellion is in the works.
Nah... That would require me to actively associate with other people. There are no (zero) pipesmokers among my friends. Also this is the only forum I am a member of, and even here I am just lurking around most of the time.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:09 pm

I'm going to go poo all over the Science in the News thread to exact my revenge.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:48 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:09 pm
I'm going to go poo all over the Science in the News thread to exact my revenge.
It wasn't traumatic. The blends stay the same... a rose by any other name.
There is another side to this that we should never forget. Good things, like the market growing again, often arrive with a new generation & their own band eg the new generation putting their stamp on the stuff. It looks like misunderstandings or myths at best. How could we approve anyway? This is really why the old die off. It has nothing to do with original sin.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 pm

Damn it uncle Rusty, always crushing my dreams.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:35 pm

It's not the dreams that are smoked. You may like it anyway. Many do. It is a nice mixture that has a place today.
Offhand I can't think of a single iconic old product that hasn't changed a lot. The brand is like a curtain they draw over their mischief. Brand used to be a guarantee of authenticity. It's a license to cheat now.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 am

Rusty wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:07 pm
ReverendThom wrote:

It's not the dreams that are smoked. You may like it anyway. Many do. It is a nice mixture that has a place today.
Offhand I can't think of a single iconic old product that hasn't changed a lot. The brand is like a curtain they draw over their mischief. Brand used to be a guarantee of authenticity. It's a license to cheat now.
Can you think of a single tin you've opened most recently?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 am

hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 am
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

This is like a stream in time; the most recent is at the top.
100g McCl Blackwoods Flake
50g Butera Royal Vintage Dark Stoved
2 oz. C&D Old Hollywood
100g Ashton Pebblecut - done
8 oz. GLP Haddo's Delight - done
2 oz. GLP Raven's Wing
8 oz. C&D Old Joe Krantz - done

That's the last 3 months.

These are all original blends. I'm a contemporary kinda guy. But not one of the tins is less than a decade old. The oldest is the Pebblecut from 1998. Soon it will be Erinmore time. July is Erinmore month and it's back to the summer of 2005!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWQKGZTCRWo

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:10 am

Rusty wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:17 am
hugodrax wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:28 am
Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:

This is like a stream in time; the most recent is at the top.
100g McCl Blackwoods Flake
50g Butera Royal Vintage Dark Stoved
2 oz. C&D Old Hollywood
100g Ashton Pebblecut - done
8 oz. GLP Haddo's Delight - done
2 oz. GLP Raven's Wing
8 oz. C&D Old Joe Krantz - done

That's the last 3 months.

These are all original blends. I'm a contemporary kinda guy. But not one of the tins is less than a decade old. The oldest is the Pebblecut from 1998. Soon it will be Erinmore time. July is Erinmore month and it's back to the summer of 2005!
The man has sophisticated tastes, and a Fort Knox of pipe tobaccos. There's only one on his list that I have even tried. Old Joe Kranz. And I'm leaving him in the jar.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:13 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 pm
Exploring my little hall closet "cellar" for something else refreshing to smoke, I opened one of the 6 tins of McClelland's Aurora this afternoon, and will let it breath awhile to halt the fermentation process. This is a very good mix of Virginias ready rubbed with deep, complex flavors. I very much enjoyed a tin last summer, so I am looking forward to sipping this very fine blend.

Aurora is part of the 6-member Collector Blends produced by, and labeled as, McClelland. Excellent reviews on Tobacco Reviews.com...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/279 ... and-aurora
I'll give the cracked tin of Aurora a couple more days, popping the lid for a few minutes every day, and she should then be ready.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:30 am

Last tin was Captain Black Red Sky. A fellow CPSer sent a tin along with the previously mentioned Presbyterian. It was meant as a suggestion for Mrs. Gabriel and she did enjoy the first bowl. I actually smoked a bowl myself and enjoyed it more than expected. I'd call that a win for Captain Black.
Sola Deo Gloria

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:08 pm

I cracked a tin of Squadron Leader from 2010 this weekend. This past year's Secret Santa gifted me with it, and I've been resisting since. Canada Day at the lake seemed like a good time to celebrate.

I love English blends. This was a really pleasant light English. Not aLat bomb like I was expecting. The Lat was there, but so was a nice smooth sweet taste, too.

Thanks to Santa Ed! I very much enjoyed this.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:30 pm

I've smoked plenty of OGS, but this is my first time opening their 100g tin. Fun stuff:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sola Deo Gloria

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:07 am

Last night, I opened a tin of 221B Baker Street Arcadia.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:11 am

The tin of McClelland Tudor Castle I allowed to breath for a few minutes, over several days, is sublime.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm

A tin of McClelland Scottish Woods. Sort of like a soda that has gone flat.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:51 am

Fainn wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm
A tin of McClelland Scottish Woods. Sort of like a soda that has gone flat.
Let that tin "breath" for several days before smoking it again, bro. Airing it a few minutes over several days arrests the fermentation process. This tobacco has very high ratings:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/396 ... tish-woods