Last Tin Opened

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Re: Last Tin Opened

Post by Gabriel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 pm

Last night I opened one of my two tins of John Cotton Smyrna.

Great stuff, was quite dry in the in though. The seal was good, so I was surprised, must have been packaged that way.
Sola Deo Gloria

parson
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by parson » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:56 pm
Last night I opened one of my two tins of John Cotton Smyrna.

Great stuff, was quite dry in the in though. The seal was good, so I was surprised, must have been packaged that way.

Love this blend! I've found it a bit drier in the tin than some blends.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:59 am

This weekend I opened a 2 year old tin of C&D Blockade Runner. It is a great smoke with no age on it, but give it a year or two and it becomes a wonder to smoke...the flavor is enhanced and is deeper and stronger it goes from good to truly wonderful! In my top three favs
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm

I'm just finishing an 8 oz tin of Bufflehead Canvasback Decoy. This was the ribbon cut Va/Per. It turned black after 12 years, was mostly dark red colour in the distant past. I remember it as having Perique but not quite enough so ... like a dummy I add Perique without even trying it. HOLY smokes Perique hammer. This is new. I'm sure I only added it once. Really. I opened a tin of 2005 Xmas Cheer to wind down off all the Perique.
Today I'm thinking I should split the Xmas Cheer and add Perique to half.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:59 am
This weekend I opened a 2 year old tin of C&D Blockade Runner. It is a great smoke with no age on it, but give it a year or two and it becomes a wonder to smoke...the flavor is enhanced and is deeper and stronger it goes from good to truly wonderful! In my top three favs
Nice. I used to smoke a semi regular tin of Black Frigate. They're supposed to be related, have you had both? I enjoyed the BF, just haven't bought any for some time.
Sola Deo Gloria

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am

Gabriel wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
Nice. I used to smoke a semi regular tin of Black Frigate. They're supposed to be related, have you had both? I enjoyed the BF, just haven't bought any for some time.
I've smoked a couple of tins of Black Frigate, good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:45 am

Not a tin, but a 1/2 pint jar of Sir Walter Raleigh. First I've had since jarring a bunch of it in the Spring of '16. Maybe not as good as PA, but still quite nice.

Oh, and I cracked two tins of 2017 McClellend Tudor Castle about a week ago. They are de-canting in my cellar. I may try/ smoke a bowl tonight as I suspect there hasn't been too much fermentation going on in such new tins.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:35 am

JohnnyMcPiperson wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am
Gabriel wrote:
Bloodhound wrote:
I've smoked a couple of tins of Black Frigate, good stuff!

Black Frigate used to be described by C&D, "...Black Frigate is Blockade Runner with Latakia added" But I just looked and now Black Frigate has its own description. I like both blends and again both are better with a year or two of age. Every time I smoke Black Frigate, it makes me hungry for Blockade Runner, so I have just been buying Blockade Runner over the last year.
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:39 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm
Aside from two tins of McCl Tudor Castle I cracked and aired, this tin of Orlik DSK. Two tins have been in my "cellar" for 15 months, so I'm just trying this for the 1st time. Not sure about it. May not be for me. Something for the box pass perhaps...

This Orlik DSK is actually pretty darn good. Having my 3rd bowlful. Has a sweetness to it I like. A lot.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:25 am

Goose55 wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:54 pm
Aside from two tins of McCl Tudor Castle I cracked and aired, this tin of Orlik DSK. Two tins have been in my "cellar" for 15 months, so I'm just trying this for the 1st time. Not sure about it. May not be for me. Something for the box pass perhaps...

This Orlik DSK is actually pretty darn good. Having my 3rd bowlful. Has a sweetness to it I like. A lot.
There it is... it looks good, I wonder if I have a tin of that somewhere.

"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:50 pm

I have many in my hall closet "cellar," untouched, so I Just cracked a one year old tin of Kolhase & Kopp's Rattray's Stirling Flake, and am sipping it in a bent Stanwell Brass Band Brandy. Some say it is identical to Peterson's Irish Flake...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/917 ... ling-flake

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:58 am

Oh, I forgot. Some days before I opened the Stirling Flake, I cracked a tin of McClelland's Aurora. I am opening the lid every other day or so for a few minutes to arrest the fermentation process. It will soon be "sublime."

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:29 am

John Cotton #3.
pipesandcigars wrote:John Cotton's Number Three is a great addition to their English blend lineup. Like most of their other Latakia-based blends, there are wonderful Virginias and Orientals joining smoky Cyprian Latakia, but what sets Number Three apart is the addition of just enough Perique to add depth, spice and sweetness, making this a perfect late-evening repast.
It certainly smells bolder out of the tin that the Smyrna did, first impression was very favorable, but... must they package their tobacco so ever-lovin' dry?
Sola Deo Gloria

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am

OGS.
I had been without for 3-4 months and smoking PS LNF instead.
Father Rick may be right, they are more alike than I recalled.
Side by side comparison coming soon.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:32 pm

A 3.5 ounce tin of McClelland St. James Woods broken Virginia-Perique Flake

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 am

Grousemoor
Scott ( aka - Thor )

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Robert McConnell Scottish Flake cracked this evening and will give it some time to decant.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Old Ironsides.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:31 pm
Old Ironsides.
Ah, good choice, that.
Sola Deo Gloria

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Two new tobaccos for me I have never smoked before,...A 50 gram tin of McClelland: BEACON EXTRA, and a 100 gram tin of McClelland Dark Star.

I will probably like the Beacon Extra very much,... a supercharged VAPer,.. but not sure about the Dark Star. I knew it was a dark almost black flake, but I got it anyway, as it was highly rated.

I may have 6 ounces of Dark Star to send to someone soon, if it does not set right with me.