Last Tin Opened

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:11 pm

Rusty wrote:
fisherofpipes wrote:Opened a tin of F&T Vintage Flake from a trade with Jake, just because I was bored, I guess. Not regretting it: been smoking it the last three bowls, and just broke out some more. Seems fine right out of the tin without aging. Tin scent? Quality Virginia hay! Appearance? Loose but nicely mottled flake; yellows and browns, tiny flecks of black. Stoved, I guess, but so little there's no way to tell. A very basic light Virginia, but has a richness to it despite this. Very well-behaved. No special or unique qualities, but no faults I can see yet as well.
Nothing Perique can't enhance!

I was debating opening some Blackwoods Flake and then, I thought, I'll add a little Perique... Then it occurred to me that the result is basically St. James Woods. So now I'm consoling myself, and not opening anything, with a nice Fonseca Cuban cigar while I think some more.
Oh, this is rather nice with Perique! I've probably just turned it into some other F&T blend.
Odi profanum vulgus et arceo:
Favete linguis. Carmina non prius
Audita Musarum sacerdos
Virginibus puerisque canto.

Horace: Odes 3.1

hogleg
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)
Chief Strong Wind (Pops to TLO)

Post by hogleg » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:23 am

This afternoon after church, I'll open a tin of Squadron Leader I bought +5 years ago.
Aye. Happiness has been achieved. I can now love you all because I'll never know what you actually think. --- Hugodrax, 16 July 2016

venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal

Post by venator260 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 am

Orlik Golden Sliced for me.

I've had one bowl, and it was pretty good right up until the ghost of tobaccos past showed up and made it taste like a bad honey aromatic. I'm currently attempting a salt & alcohol exorcism.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:48 pm

xxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 pm

JimVH wrote:Opened a tin (the plastice zip-bag kind) of Jeffersonian Mix...

I dig it.
I did too; and I do too. I've been smoking it all weekend in various pipes.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Atom
Douched the man cave
Douched the man cave

Post by Atom » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:08 pm

MrPiper wrote:MacBaren Golden Extra - it's just plain generic pipe tobacco with a rich sweet aroma and a solid tobacco flavor.
I have never tried a MacBaren I didn't like. The honey chocolate is excellent, as well.
Chutney: It's what's with dinner.

donkeymule
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by donkeymule » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:03 pm

GL Pease Oddysey from 2002. Man I wish I would of stock piled more of this! Maybe more tins of this will be in my next purchase.
Wise guy hey? Nyuk, Nyuk Nyuk.....

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:12 pm

donkeymule wrote:GL Pease Oddysey from 2002. Man I wish I would of stock piled more of this! Maybe more tins of this will be in my next purchase.
Only one of the GLP original mixtures I still have sealed at this time is Robusto, and I will probably keep it sealed.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm about to open a rare one: Uptown's Tobaccos Monticello (C&D) from 2000, which is discontinued. "Sweed aged Red and Yellow Virginias, Perique and stoved Red Virginia."

I wanted to scan in an image, but my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing my printer right now...

I may do a first bowl, first impressions mini-review later. I debated opening this, but these old-style C&D tins aren't the best for aging, and it is already aged, of course.

Actually, the Ebay item link still works:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280723807011?ss ... 1439.l2649

Anyone know about this one? A bit of forgotten C&D history, it seems. Uptown doesn't even seem to carry C&D anymore at all.

Good call on opening this tin. Dry as a bone, and I will have to try to rehydrate it. Also, despite the tin description, this has Latakia in it, or I'm a fool. Wrong blend in the tin? I do see red and yellow Virginia; in fact that's all I see, other than the many black strands. If that's all Perique, this would be a Perique-bomb, so I'm guessing it's the Latakia I smell. Smells like Squadron Leader or a similar medium English.

Wow, bit of a mystery here! That's OK, I like mysteries! I don't know if I can really smoke it as dry as it is right now, but I'll hit it a couple times to see if I can tell if it's spoiled, or can be brought back!

OK, smoking a little. It's dry, but fine, or will be with a little moisture. That's definitely Latakia, but it's light. Strange that they messed up the tin description, or put the wrong blend in the tin.

I recommend opening any C&D tin from this period. Despite the plastic tightly wrapped around the tin, they do not retain moisture at all. The tobacco inside is in a sealed bag, which also does nothing to preserve the tobacco. C&D was so low tech in 2000!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Well, if you read my post above, last night's tin opening occasion was a fiasco. Not only was the tobacco dried out and needing to be rehydrated, the tin description was wrong as well. I was wanting to try a new VAPER, and ended up with a medium English.

Therefore, I will try again tonight. Former's Cross Grain Flake from 2004, and at least I know this tin is sealed properly! Update to come when I have a bowl. Reviews comparing it to Capstan Medium, which I haven't tried, but it was Tolkien's tobacco...

One of those Euro-flakes presented as a big entangled clump of uneven and loose flake, but the tin note and general feel of the tobacco lead me to believe this will be right up my alley!
Last edited by fisherofpipes on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Briar_Bowl
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Briar_Bowl » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Just opened a tin of "Frontier" (blended by McClelland for St.Louis Pipe Club/IPSD 2011) Black Cavendish, Mellow Burley, Sweet Virginia's, with a delicate top note of Vanilla/Hazelnut. Very nice light aromatic blend. :pipe2:
LIVING IS EASY WITH EYES CLOSED...MISUNDERSTANDING ALL YOU SEE

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:56 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
JimVH wrote:Opened a tin (the plastice zip-bag kind) of Jeffersonian Mix...

I dig it.
I did too; and I do too. I've been smoking it all weekend in various pipes.
Shweeet!
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:58 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:Well, if you read my post above, last night's tin opening occasion was a fiasco. Not only was the tobacco dried out and needing to be rehydrated, the tin description was wrong as well. I was wanting to try a new VAPER, and ended up with a medium English.

Therefore, I will try again tonight. Former's Cross Grain Flake from 2004, and at least I know this tin is sealed properly! Update to come when I have a bowl. Reviews comparing it to Capstan Medium, which I haven't tried, but it was Tolkien's tobacco...

One of those Euro-flakes presented as a big entangled clump of uneven and loose flake, but the tin note and general feel of the tobacco lead me to believe this will be right up my alley!
Still haven't smoked the Former's Cross Grain, but not too long. I have been researching it, trying to find the blender, but why look any farther than our own Rusty?

modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=336490

Dan, rebranded Kriswell. I should have known from the insert, which looked familiar. I had been thinking KK.

Smoking now. I think I will like this. Reminds me of the Dan flakes I have tried and liked, like Patriot Flake and Limerick.
Last edited by fisherofpipes on Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Germain Plum Cake (2005)
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:07 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:I'm about to open a rare one: Uptown's Tobaccos Monticello (C&D) from 2000, which is discontinued. "Sweed aged Red and Yellow Virginias, Perique and stoved Red Virginia."

I wanted to scan in an image, but my computer doesn't seem to be recognizing my printer right now...

I may do a first bowl, first impressions mini-review later. I debated opening this, but these old-style C&D tins aren't the best for aging, and it is already aged, of course.

Actually, the Ebay item link still works:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280723807011?ss ... 1439.l2649

Anyone know about this one? A bit of forgotten C&D history, it seems. Uptown doesn't even seem to carry C&D anymore at all.

Good call on opening this tin. Dry as a bone, and I will have to try to rehydrate it. Also, despite the tin description, this has Latakia in it, or I'm a fool. Wrong blend in the tin? I do see red and yellow Virginia; in fact that's all I see, other than the many black strands. If that's all Perique, this would be a Perique-bomb, so I'm guessing it's the Latakia I smell. Smells like Squadron Leader or a similar medium English.

Wow, bit of a mystery here! That's OK, I like mysteries! I don't know if I can really smoke it as dry as it is right now, but I'll hit it a couple times to see if I can tell if it's spoiled, or can be brought back!

OK, smoking a little. It's dry, but fine, or will be with a little moisture. That's definitely Latakia, but it's light. Strange that they messed up the tin description, or put the wrong blend in the tin.

I recommend opening any C&D tin from this period. Despite the plastic tightly wrapped around the tin, they do not retain moisture at all. The tobacco inside is in a sealed bag, which also does nothing to preserve the tobacco. C&D was so low tech in 2000!
Just got around to smoking a bowl of this. Though I rehydrated the tobacco, it dried back out to crispy pretty soon after I broke out the bowl. It is very much a light-medium English, kind of like Squadron Leader to my tastes. Very nice, but glad C&D has come along since 2000. Those tins they used back then were useless for storage, and how could they mess up so bad as to use Latakia in place of Perique, or maybe just slip the wrong blend altogether in the tin? Still, whatever this is I'm smoking (I guess I will never know other than that it's a nice basic English blend) is fine, and will be quite the curiosity in my collection. Mystery C&D blend from year 2000!
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:35 am

I keep saying I'm going to wait until I finish an open tin, but yesterday just needed some new tobacco. I went ahead and broke into my recently acquired tin of Peterson's Perfect Plug. It's the same little block of tobacco I remember from last time. It really looks like/smells like something you should eat.

I promptly cut a nice, even slice (no mean feat) with my pocket knife (followed by a few uneven slivers). I didn't really have time to let it sit, so I rubbed it out quite well and gently packed it into my Lapeltier. I hadn't smoked this pipe in forever, it had been set aside for stronger blends and I used it pretty frequently for this blend last time I had it. So into the Lapeltier it went and after some patient lighting, it smoked like a charm.

Not quite as gentle with the "room note" as I'd hoped. But a great diversion for the smoker. Really glad I opened it. Should be a great "sitting on the porch" tobacco as the weather begins to warm up.
Sola Deo Gloria

fisherofpipes
Episcopal shot pourer
Episcopal shot pourer

Post by fisherofpipes » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Gabriel wrote:I keep saying I'm going to wait until I finish an open tin, but yesterday just needed some new tobacco. I went ahead and broke into my recently acquired tin of Peterson's Perfect Plug. It's the same little block of tobacco I remember from last time. It really looks like/smells like something you should eat.

I promptly cut a nice, even slice (no mean feat) with my pocket knife (followed by a few uneven slivers). I didn't really have time to let it sit, so I rubbed it out quite well and gently packed it into my Lapeltier. I hadn't smoked this pipe in forever, it had been set aside for stronger blends and I used it pretty frequently for this blend last time I had it. So into the Lapeltier it went and after some patient lighting, it smoked like a charm.

Not quite as gentle with the "room note" as I'd hoped. But a great diversion for the smoker. Really glad I opened it. Should be a great "sitting on the porch" tobacco as the weather begins to warm up.
It's a good plug. Not sure why, but it didn't get very good TR reviews, not that I would ever go by what is said on TR!

I smoked one tin, and have two in reserve that will remain that way since I have lots of SG Kendal Plug in a jar. I think it should age nicely. It is most definitely a perfect plug as far as the presentation, and a good smoke as well. Ever see this guy's review? He probably won't mind if I post it here, since it's already on TR:

Perfunctory Pontifications on Peterson's Perfect Plug:
Pry open the Package and Peruse a Plug in a Plastic Pouch. Pull open the Pouch and Participate in the Pleasant Perfume of Prunes and Produce Past its Prime, which Portends Potent but Pleasurable Paroxysms of Pleasure.

Peterson's Paleolithic Plug is so Petrified that it Pleads to be Pulverized Prior to Packing in your Pipe. This Perplexing Plug - as Pitch-black as a hockey Puck - Packs Prodigious Potential for Piping Pleasure but must be Properly Prepared with Pocket or Paring knife. Puny Pieces the Proportions of Peppercorns are still too Prodigious for this Potpourri of Pleasure (from my Perspective).

Once Packed, it is Particularly Prone to Punching like a Pugilist if Puffed too Powerfully. If it Punishes the Proboscis when Puffed Proactively, Pampering Peterson's Perfect Plug will Pacify and Please the Palate. Puffed Placidly, it Pleases with a Palpable Pungency and Pleasurable Piquancy. It will Positively Perk up the Piper who is Pooped and needs a Pick-me-up. There is no Paucity of Punch in this Pastiche but Plenty of Plaudits are due for the Plenitude of Panache.

While Puffing, the Perfume in the Parlor is Pungent and not Particularly Pleasing. Its Performance in the Pipe may be Problematic but Peterson's Plug Pays for any Problems by its Palliative Properties. No Parsimonious Plug, Peterson's Pushes the Piper Past Pedestrian Practices, into a Perspicacious Protocol that Pays off with Pandemonium in one's Piehole.

Pedestrian? No. Pusillanimous? Never. Palatable? Positively!

The Prudent Piper will Procure some Peterson's Perfect Plug Posthaste.
Audita Musarum sacerdos

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:54 pm

fisherofpipes wrote:
Gabriel wrote:I keep saying I'm going to wait until I finish an open tin, but yesterday just needed some new tobacco. I went ahead and broke into my recently acquired tin of Peterson's Perfect Plug. It's the same little block of tobacco I remember from last time. It really looks like/smells like something you should eat.

It's a good plug. Not sure why, but it didn't get very good TR reviews, not that I would ever go by what is said on TR!

I smoked one tin, and have two in reserve that will remain that way since I have lots of SG Kendal Plug in a jar. I think it should age nicely. It is most definitely a perfect plug as far as the presentation, and a good smoke as well. Ever see this guy's review? He probably won't mind if I post it here, since it's already on TR:

Perfunctory Pontifications on Peterson's Perfect Plug:
Pry open the Package and Peruse a Plug in a Plastic Pouch. Pull open the Pouch and Participate in the Pleasant Perfume of Prunes and Produce Past its Prime, which Portends Potent but Pleasurable Paroxysms of Pleasure.

Peterson's Paleolithic Plug is so Petrified that it Pleads to be Pulverized Prior to Packing in your Pipe. This Perplexing Plug - as Pitch-black as a hockey Puck - Packs Prodigious Potential for Piping Pleasure but must be Properly Prepared with Pocket or Paring knife. Puny Pieces the Proportions of Peppercorns are still too Prodigious for this Potpourri of Pleasure (from my Perspective).

Once Packed, it is Particularly Prone to Punching like a Pugilist if Puffed too Powerfully. If it Punishes the Proboscis when Puffed Proactively, Pampering Peterson's Perfect Plug will Pacify and Please the Palate. Puffed Placidly, it Pleases with a Palpable Pungency and Pleasurable Piquancy. It will Positively Perk up the Piper who is Pooped and needs a Pick-me-up. There is no Paucity of Punch in this Pastiche but Plenty of Plaudits are due for the Plenitude of Panache.

While Puffing, the Perfume in the Parlor is Pungent and not Particularly Pleasing. Its Performance in the Pipe may be Problematic but Peterson's Plug Pays for any Problems by its Palliative Properties. No Parsimonious Plug, Peterson's Pushes the Piper Past Pedestrian Practices, into a Perspicacious Protocol that Pays off with Pandemonium in one's Piehole.

Pedestrian? No. Pusillanimous? Never. Palatable? Positively!

The Prudent Piper will Procure some Peterson's Perfect Plug Posthaste.
:lol: Fantastic! :lol:

Pretty accurate as well...
Sola Deo Gloria

j1n
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by j1n » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm your huckleberry

Ruin my dinner and I'll ruin your life.
- my wife

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:31 pm

j1n wrote:1792
That didn't take long!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4