The Codger Burley Thread

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by ReverendThom » Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 pm

I pulled out my PA today, deciding to give it another shot. I Did not enjoy it again. I think it reminds me too much of cigarettes, which i grew to despise after 15 years of around 2 packs/day.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24879
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by Rusty » Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 am

ReverendThom wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 pm
I pulled out my PA today, deciding to give it another shot. I Did not enjoy it again. I think it reminds me too much of cigarettes, which i grew to despise after 15 years of around 2 packs/day.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
This is a Burley mixture. Were you smoking American cigs? Canadian cigs are straight Virginias (JPI Macdonald/RBH/Imperial/Native contraband). In fact if you're smoking a Virginia blend in a pipe then the room note from burning Canadian Virginia cigs smells quite good. They're actually made from quite good Virginia blends.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Image

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by ReverendThom » Sun May 28, 2017 6:08 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 am
ReverendThom wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 pm
I pulled out my PA today, deciding to give it another shot. I Did not enjoy it again. I think it reminds me too much of cigarettes, which I grew to despise after 15 years of around 2 packs/day.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
This is a Burley mixture. Were you smoking American cigs? Canadian cigs are straight Virginias (JPI Macdonald/RBH/Imperial/Native contraband). In fact if you're smoking a Virginia blend in a pipe then the room note from burning Canadian Virginia cigs smells quite good. They're actually made from quite good Virginia blends.
Du Maurier to start, then Export A, Players, and finally Canadian Classic because they were cheap (and by "cheap" I mean $12/pack when I quit haha).
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24879
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by Rusty » Sun May 28, 2017 6:46 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:08 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 am
ReverendThom wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 pm
I pulled out my PA today, deciding to give it another shot. I Did not enjoy it again. I think it reminds me too much of cigarettes, which I grew to despise after 15 years of around 2 packs/day.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
This is a Burley mixture. Were you smoking American cigs? Canadian cigs are straight Virginias (JPI Macdonald/RBH/Imperial/Native contraband). In fact if you're smoking a Virginia blend in a pipe then the room note from burning Canadian Virginia cigs smells quite good. They're actually made from quite good Virginia blends.
Du Maurier to start, then Export A, Players, and finally Canadian Classic because they were cheap (and by "cheap" I mean $12/pack when I quit haha).
BAT/Imperial Tob - Du Maurier and Players. Didja know that John Players is a British brand, and John is from Nottingham? Player's Navy Flake is another that Lewis and JRRT would like. Me too.
JTI/Mac Donalds - Export A
PMI/Rothman's, Benson & Hedges - Canadian Classic

That's a tour. Dinged all three. Everyone of them is straight Virginia.
"I am not the orthodox light-quantizer for whom you take me." Einstein reassurance to Lorentz, Jan. 1911

Image

User avatar
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
Posts: 2559
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by ReverendThom » Sun May 28, 2017 7:32 pm

Rusty wrote:
ReverendThom wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 6:08 pm
Rusty wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:39 am
ReverendThom wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 9:33 pm
I pulled out my PA today, deciding to give it another shot. I Did not enjoy it again. I think it reminds me too much of cigarettes, which I grew to despise after 15 years of around 2 packs/day.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
This is a Burley mixture. Were you smoking American cigs? Canadian cigs are straight Virginias (JPI Macdonald/RBH/Imperial/Native contraband). In fact if you're smoking a Virginia blend in a pipe then the room note from burning Canadian Virginia cigs smells quite good. They're actually made from quite good Virginia blends.
Du Maurier to start, then Export A, Players, and finally Canadian Classic because they were cheap (and by "cheap" I mean $12/pack when I quit haha).
BAT/Imperial Tob - Du Maurier and Players. Didja know that John Players is a British brand, and John is from Nottingham? Player's Navy Flake is another that Lewis and JRRT would like. Me too.
JTI/Mac Donalds - Export A
PMI/Rothman's, Benson & Hedges - Canadian Classic

That's a tour. Dinged all three. Everyone of them is straight Virginia.
Hmmmm and i really enjoy Virginias, and they don't reminds me of darts at all. So why don't I like PA? Hmmm

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 4863
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 pm

Do you like 5 Brothers but want to add just a little more interest to it? Well I've been experimenting and found that about 5 to 10% (by weight) C&D Turkish broken up a mixed with 5 Brothers makes for a simple but fantastic smoke. The Turkish adds a nice woody, semi-sweet spice. I think I'll try some McClelland Blending Orientals next.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead
Posts: 4863
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by 7formy1911 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 pm
Do you like 5 Brothers but want to add just a little more interest to it? Well I've been experimenting and found that about 5 to 10% (by weight) C&D Turkish broken up a mixed with 5 Brothers makes for a simple but fantastic smoke. The Turkish adds a nice woody, semi-sweet spice. I think I'll try some McClelland Blending Orientals next.
Just FYI it's the Izmir Turkish from C&D.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7554
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by sweetandsour » Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 pm
Do you like 5 Brothers but want to add just a little more interest to it? Well I've been experimenting and found that about 5 to 10% (by weight) C&D Turkish broken up a mixed with 5 Brothers makes for a simple but fantastic smoke. The Turkish adds a nice woody, semi-sweet spice. I think I'll try some McClelland Blending Orientals next.
Just FYI it's the Izmir Turkish from C&D.
I'm going to have to try five bros again sometime.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:37 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 4:33 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 2:20 pm
7formy1911 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 1:49 pm
Do you like 5 Brothers but want to add just a little more interest to it? Well I've been experimenting and found that about 5 to 10% (by weight) C&D Turkish broken up a mixed with 5 Brothers makes for a simple but fantastic smoke. The Turkish adds a nice woody, semi-sweet spice. I think I'll try some McClelland Blending Orientals next.
Just FYI it's the Izmir Turkish from C&D.
I'm going to have to try five bros again sometime.
I have it from a reputable source that it's changed and not for the better.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:59 am

Two others that I was never able to smoke were U***n Leader and Model. I doubt that I ever will now, as the last distributor of either was House of Windsor and we all know what happened to them.

Somehow, this is something that I do not feel all too broken up about.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25269
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am

Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14350
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am
Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
If you don't like RR, you are a commie.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores
Posts: 10998
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: central IL

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am

I've been smoking a lot of Pegasus, and enjoy it, but last night I opened a luxury pouch of PA. It was my first in some time. I was instantly reminded that, while other tobaccos might fill a similar niche, there is only one PA.
Sola Deo Gloria

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am
I've been smoking a lot of Pegasus, and enjoy it, but last night I opened a luxury pouch of PA. It was my first in some time. I was instantly reminded that, while other tobaccos might fill a similar niche, there is only one PA.
Damn skippy.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: NW Georgia, USA

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by philofumo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am
Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
If you don't like RR, you are a commie.
Image
Roughly translated:
Извините, Чарли, но Сталин любил этот табак!
Sorry Charlie, but Stalin loved that (Edgeworth) tobacco!

Life Magazine told me so,
you're not questioning the integrity of Life Magazine are you?
An American institution if there ever was one.
:arrow: https://books.google.com/books?id=VFMEA ... 22&f=false



Image
Stalin quietly smokes his Dunhill pipe with Edgeworth tobacco,
and thinks up his next big marketing campaign:

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas."

:scared:

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14350
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 pm

philofumo wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am
Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
If you don't like RR, you are a commie.
Image
Roughly translated:
Извините, Чарли, но Сталин любил этот табак!
Sorry Charlie, but Stalin loved that (Edgeworth) tobacco!

Life Magazine told me so,
you're not questioning the integrity of Life Magazine are you?
An American institution if there ever was one.
:arrow: https://books.google.com/books?id=VFMEA ... 22&f=false



Image
Stalin quietly smokes his Dunhill pipe with Edgeworth tobacco,
and thinks up his next big marketing campaign:

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas."

:scared:
That man was no commie.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information
Posts: 972
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: NW Georgia, USA

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by philofumo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 pm
philofumo wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am
Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
If you don't like RR, you are a commie.
Image
Roughly translated:
Извините, Чарли, но Сталин любил этот табак!
Sorry Charlie, but Stalin loved that (Edgeworth) tobacco!

Life Magazine told me so,
you're not questioning the integrity of Life Magazine are you?
An American institution if there ever was one.
:arrow: https://books.google.com/books?id=VFMEA ... 22&f=false



Image
Stalin quietly smokes his Dunhill pipe with Edgeworth tobacco,
and thinks up his next big marketing campaign:

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas."

:scared:
That man was no commie.
:lol:
LOL

A most excellent retort!
Your rapier, sir, is swift and very sharp.

Although I admired the premise, I felt the need to point out that your argument was invalid, because Edgeworth is universally loved worldwide by all smokers of discernment, regardless of political affiliation.

I have long considered Edgeworth Sliced to be the finest American pipe tobacco ever made, but the fact that the flake variant is no longer capable of being made here only illustrates the sad fact of the USA's continuing decline of industrial might, along with, as my favorite president* once described the general mood, our lazyass malaise.

*
Jimmy is my fave due to me being a young lad when he was in and thinking it was like really cool that he was from Georgia just like me, plus he had a great smile, he loved peanuts and I loved peanuts too, and his drunk brother Billy reminded me alot of my uncle Logan so it was like all in the family, like.


:baghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IlRVy7oZ58

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25269
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:12 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am
Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
If you don't like RR, you are a commie.
That's my understanding from the research I've done.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25269
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:14 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 pm
Gabriel wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:32 am
I've been smoking a lot of Pegasus, and enjoy it, but last night I opened a luxury pouch of PA. It was my first in some time. I was instantly reminded that, while other tobaccos might fill a similar niche, there is only one PA.
Damn skippy.
Original Recipe? Totally agree.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14350
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:34 pm

philofumo wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:13 pm
philofumo wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am
Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
If you don't like RR, you are a commie.
Image
Roughly translated:
Извините, Чарли, но Сталин любил этот табак!
Sorry Charlie, but Stalin loved that (Edgeworth) tobacco!

Life Magazine told me so,
you're not questioning the integrity of Life Magazine are you?
An American institution if there ever was one.
:arrow: https://books.google.com/books?id=VFMEA ... 22&f=false



Image
Stalin quietly smokes his Dunhill pipe with Edgeworth tobacco,
and thinks up his next big marketing campaign:

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas."

:scared:
That man was no commie.
:lol:
LOL

A most excellent retort!
Your rapier, sir, is swift and very sharp.

Although I admired the premise, I felt the need to point out that your argument was invalid, because Edgeworth is universally loved worldwide by all smokers of discernment, regardless of political affiliation.

I have long considered Edgeworth Sliced to be the finest American pipe tobacco ever made, but the fact that the flake variant is no longer capable of being made here only illustrates the sad fact of the USA's continuing decline of industrial might, along with, as my favorite president* once described the general mood, our lazyass malaise.

*
Jimmy is my fave due to me being a young lad when he was in and thinking it was like really cool that he was from Georgia just like me, plus he had a great smile, he loved peanuts and I loved peanuts too, and his drunk brother Billy reminded me alot of my uncle Logan so it was like all in the family, like.


:baghead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IlRVy7oZ58
I like the RR, but have definitely met people who didn't. It seemed a solid smoke amongst those who worked. Plenty of office guys smoked it as well as people in more blue collared trades. I always wondered about Walnut--that was solely a white collar smoke around here when I was young.

The sliced I could never get into. I'm afraid I came into certain tastes rather late in life.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Post Reply