The Codger Burley Thread

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:33 pm

A gentleman of wisdom, charity, and beneficence known to all on CPS did send to me in the post an entire, unopened tin of the legendary Edgeworth Sliced burley flake: a tobacco that I scarce thought I would ever be able to smoke again. To that gentleman a offer my warmest and sincerest thanks and my assurance that I know him to be, as I know all members of CPS to be, a good Christian soul and credit to their respective communions and nations.

I raise my pipe to you, sir.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

gravel
Now it's a mess. Uniquely so.

Post by gravel » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:31 am

A_Morley wrote:A gentleman of wisdom, charity, and beneficence known to all on CPS did send to me in the post an entire, unopened tin of the legendary Edgeworth Sliced burley flake: a tobacco that I scarce thought I would ever be able to smoke again. To that gentleman a offer my warmest and sincerest thanks and my assurance that I know him to be, as I know all members of CPS to be, a good Christian soul and credit to their respective communions and nations.

I raise my pipe to you, sir.
Well done! May that bring you many hours of pleasure.

I've only tried the match version of ERR. I like it for what it is, but wonder what the original ERR tasted like. I wouldn't mind if either sliced or ERR came back.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:30 pm

I suppose that there needs to be a list of codger burleys that I haven't tried but should. I really should try all of them, I suppose.
  • Granger
  • Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (I've smoked plenty of Edgeworth Sliced, but never the ready rubbed. Funny that I wrote a series of stories with a main character who smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, but never smoked it myself)
  • Briggs (I've heard nothing but bad things about it)
  • Model
I'm trying to think of others that I might have overlooked. There were a number of sleepers from the good old days of pipe smoking.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 am

By the by, does anybody remember Greenbriar pipe tobacco? I saw it once upon a time oh so many years ago. I swear the label said it was cool, refreshing menthol pipe tobacco, which sounds plain and simply disgusting.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Thu May 07, 2015 6:16 am

I have a tub of Granger, if you'd like to try some. I can't make up my mind about it. It's clearly good, but I'm not sure if it's for me.

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu May 07, 2015 6:20 am

I have read horror stories online concerning Greenbriar tobacco. Shudder...
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Thu May 07, 2015 6:50 am

Gabriel, thanks for the kind words. Pepik, thanks for the kind offer. I think it's best to not chase unobtainable blends...it only postpones the inevitable loss. I'll try the match blend.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 13, 2015 3:56 pm

GaryInVA wrote:I have read horror stories online concerning Greenbriar tobacco. Shudder...
I can find precious few references to it. Perhaps I should leave things as they are, but I'm a sucker for the strange and the obscure. I saw a large plastic tub of it for sale almost twenty years ago. I did like the label art, very much that nineteen seventies does nineteenth century look.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 13, 2015 10:12 pm

GaryInVA wrote:I have read horror stories online concerning Greenbriar tobacco. Shudder...
Makes me think of the Redman Wintergreen chewing tobacco a co-worker gave me some of when on a deep sea fishing adventure, ca. 1979, out of Grand Chenier, LA. Sometime between midnight and sunrise, I was hanging over the side, with salt spray in my face, throwing my guts up. I don't believe I've had anything wintergreen, or menthol either, since that event.
O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue May 19, 2015 12:19 am

Once, in pursuit of the ultimate "codger smoking experience" I purchased a plug of Day's O' Work tobacco and attempted to smoke it. The experience proved unsatisfactory in that it seemed impossible to keep the stuff alight in a pipe. Perhaps I hadn't prepared it for smoking properly. I later attempted to chew it. This caused me to vomit.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Wed May 27, 2015 7:21 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mustangii
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by mustangii » Wed May 27, 2015 7:39 pm

A_Morley wrote:I suppose that there needs to be a list of codger burleys that I haven't tried but should. I really should try all of them, I suppose.
  • Granger
  • Edgeworth Ready Rubbed (I've smoked plenty of Edgeworth Sliced, but never the ready rubbed. Funny that I wrote a series of stories with a main character who smoked Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, but never smoked it myself)
  • Model
I'm trying to think of others that I might have overlooked. There were a number of sleepers from the good old days of pipe smoking.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-toba ... edgeworth/

edm
In the begining was the Word, and the Word was with God, and The Word was God. John 1:1
ASE Master Certified Tech
Chrysler Master Certified Tech

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Thu May 28, 2015 6:18 pm

mustangii wrote:
A_Morley wrote:I suppose that there needs to be a list of codger burleys that I haven't tried but should. I really should try all of them, I suppose.
  • Granger
  • Model

edm
I've smoked a couple bowls of the new Lane Limited Ready Rubbed, the new version of Edgeworth RR. I really like it. Great burley tobacco with a deep cocoa flavor and some dark sugar/molasses in the background. Not too sweet. Will get more of this.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat May 30, 2015 12:22 pm

I am forced to confess that Granger is a codger burley that will never gain the regard that I ascribe to other codger burleys.

I'm sorry. I really am.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sat May 30, 2015 4:37 pm

But there's a really neat picture of a bird dog on the tub. I wanted to like this one. The name and the tin art conjured up images of tweedy fellows back from a driven bird shoot, blucher-shod feet up on the porch railing, etc. But the smoke is by turns bland, bitter, and sour. On second thought, it's really odd I don't like this at all.

gravel

Post by gravel » Sat May 30, 2015 6:43 pm

GaryInVA wrote:
mustangii wrote:
  • Granger
  • Model

edm
I've smoked a couple bowls of the new Lane Limited Ready Rubbed, the new version of Edgeworth RR. I really like it. Great burley tobacco with a deep cocoa flavor and some dark sugar/molasses in the background. Not too sweet. Will get more of this.
I really shouldn't buy any tobacco. I trust this isn't a limited run.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:16 pm

Anybody have any memories of particularly obscure, forgotten, or generally odd drugstore tobaccos?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:19 pm

A_Morley wrote:Anybody have any memories of particularly obscure, forgotten, or generally odd drugstore tobaccos?
Blue Boar bit balls.

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:59 pm

A_Morley wrote:Anybody have any memories of particularly obscure, forgotten, or generally odd drugstore tobaccos?
This one here ... "Dinner Bell" ... http://louisdl.louislibraries.org/cdm/r ... l18/id/245.

The only place I ever saw it for sale was at a bbq joint in Orange TX. The owner of the place went on an offshore fishing trip with a large group of us, (ca. 1979), and furnished bbq supper from his shop. He also brought along several packs of Dinner Bell. Some of the guys chewed it, some rolled their own with it, and at least a couple of us smoked it in our pipes. I have no idea if it's still available or not. A quick internet search resulted in the above link.
O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

jj1015
Pastor
Pastor

Post by jj1015 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:35 pm

Until I got on this forum I would have said Middleton's "Apple," but I've learned its not obscure or forgotten. Although I dislike it's current incarnation so much it might as well be...