The Codger Burley Thread

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:48 pm

Most of what I smoked in the 60s & 70s were codger burleys. Except when I worked in tobacco shops. Then it was all English. But when on unemployment, codger burleys served me well. So most of this is reminiscence. I liked Half & Half very much and SWR, but tried them recently and found them rather harsh. U***n Leader was good, and very cheap. Briggs was good then too. Granger I thought harsh back then. Model was good; as was Tuxedo. Edgeworth Ready Rubbed I thought only OK. Never tried the Slices. Currently I have tubs of Prince Albert and Kentucky Club Mild in the cellar; like them both very well. Usually when I want burley now, I use Peter Stokkebye's Burley which is what is standard at Riegel's Pipe and Tobacco where I work on Saturdays.
Last edited by dennisthemenace on Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Another codger smoke that has me on the fence in Five Bros.

Some days I like it. Some days is makes me physically sick.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

jj1015
Pastor
Pastor

Post by jj1015 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:06 pm

Does M79 count as a codger burley, or is it in a weird, perfumey category of its own?
I ask because I am finally sampling some and am shocked to find it's .... Not terrible.
Not great, mind you, but not terrible. So far anyway.

Does not hating it mean I'm in danger of being excommunicated, or just required to walk around in a cloud of incense until the ghost fades from my person?

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm

jj1015 wrote:Does M79 count as a codger burley, or is it in a weird, perfumey category of its own?
I ask because I am finally sampling some and am shocked to find it's .... Not terrible.

Does not hating it mean I'm in danger of being excommunicated, or just required to walk around in a cloud of incense until the ghost fades from my person?
It just means that you are Wosbald's long lost brother.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:26 pm

coco wrote:
jj1015 wrote:Does M79 count as a codger burley, or is it in a weird, perfumey category of its own?

It just means that you are Wosbald's long lost brother.
I don't know if it counts as a codger burley. I personally like it very well, but it was the smoke of both Frank Sinatra and Hugh Hefner. They were swinging cats.

On the codger front, I can attest that a pouch blend of Walnut and Sugar Barrel is greater than the sum of its parts.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:37 pm

I consider 79 to be codger burley in that I remember it's being sold in drugstores and that it consists mainly of burley. I like it just fine, by the way. I hated it the first time that I smoked it. Then, for some damn reason, I was probably drunk, I bought it again and I liked it. So, there you go.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:43 pm

My coupons for SWR finally arrived. Been about an eight-month wait, if not longer, and in the meantime I've tried SWR and found it not bad, but probably not something I would buy again. So, the first message I see in my inbox tomorrow morning with a name and address, I'll mail 'em to you.
"...so far right (I'm) nearly falling off the spectrum..."--TNLP

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:51 pm

DAN wrote:My coupons for SWR finally arrived. Been about an eight-month wait, if not longer, and in the meantime I've tried SWR and found it not bad, but probably not something I would buy again. So, the first message I see in my inbox tomorrow morning with a name and address, I'll mail 'em to you.
Generous offer. I've never had it. What turned you off?

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm still wondering where in the hell my coupons are. Where?

This is an outrage.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:58 pm

A_Morley wrote:I'm still wondering where in the hell my coupons are. Where?

This is an outrage.
Now that is well-directed outrage.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:43 pm

hugodrax wrote:
DAN wrote:My coupons for SWR finally arrived. Been about an eight-month wait, if not longer, and in the meantime I've tried SWR and found it not bad, but probably not something I would buy again. So, the first message I see in my inbox tomorrow morning with a name and address, I'll mail 'em to you.
Generous offer. I've never had it. What turned you off?
I don't know that I'd choose those words. Really was more like, "This is okay, but if I'm in the mood for burley, I think C & D does it better."
"...so far right (I'm) nearly falling off the spectrum..."--TNLP

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:49 pm

It's 1976 and I'm the new right-out-of-school plant chemist at Alpha Portland Cement Co. Several of the guys there smoke a pipe, so I asked the manufacturing-supervisor what tobac he's smoking. "Mixture number 69", he replies. So, next time I'm at the pharmacy I get a Dr Grabow, and ask if they have Mixture 69. After a few chuckles by the cashier, she says "do you mean Mixture 79, perhaps?" Anyway ... I liked the flavor, but darn-near scorched my tongue. I gave it away, and have not tried it again since then.

Sir Walter? ... I've never tried it. I'm afraid to. I'm scared that I may like it, actually.
O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs

Post by MrPiper » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:08 pm

MrPiper wrote:IMHO you very well should like SWR. It is a very tasty tobacco mixture and at about the best price of any of the codger burleys. Enjoy.
It may have been over a decade now since I last smoked it. I'll definitely have to buy some again sometime, should my damned coupons ever arrive.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:59 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:06 am

MrPiper wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
MrPiper wrote:IMHO you very well should like SWR. It is a very tasty tobacco mixture and at about the best price of any of the codger burleys. Enjoy.
It may have been over a decade now since I last smoked it. I'll definitely have to buy some again sometime, should my damned coupons ever arrive.
It just ocurred to me that I have received coupons from SWR & 1/2 N 1/2 in the last 6 months and used them all. I surmise that either it may be illegal for them to ship to the people's Republic of Oregon or they just plain don't like you. It could be both.

None the less for merely a Forsooth and you address I will mail mine to you next time I get them. I will pm you when they hit. In the meantime, around here a pouch of SWR is only about 4.00 without a coupon. Maybe I will just send you a pouch. It might work like in the "snickers" Comercial
Oh, I can buy it here and it's not that much. What's more, I've received tobacco coupons in the mail before. Given this, I'll just go on being outraged.

In other codger burley news, I now have the damnedest craving for Mixture No. 79. I blame all of you. What is more, this is a tobacco I haven't seen in Oregon stores in some time, but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough. I suppose that I'll just order some from P&C.

By the by, I've herd tell of and seen vintage advertisements for an old American blend called George Washington. Seems like yet another extinct codger burley. Is anybody here old enough to remember it?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:32 am

SWR - meh
H&H - not a fan
PA - great stuff

Hearth & Home has some new versions of codger burleys like PA and Kentucky Club Aromatic. I've only tried their Derby Club version and it's actually quite good. They say it's an aromatic but it's nothing like any aromatic I've ever tried.

I would also think that part of this thread should include nouveau codger burleys. Most specifically, in my opinion, Cornell & Diehl blends. My trifecta of daily smokes from them are Old Joe Krantz, Pegasus and Crowley's Best. I haven't found a company that does burley better.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:40 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:46 am

MrPiper wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:SWR - meh
H&H - not a fan
Hush you!
My dad has been an SWR devotee for years but I could never warm up to it. PA was an instant like for my taste. H&H seemed more annoying in taste than anything else. No hushing on this one :D
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

MrPiper

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:08 am

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.