Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 am
As has been touched on, there is such thing as a bad codger burley. Granger, for instance. I somehow doubt that Granger was ever any damn good, but it may have changed over the years.

Does anybody have any other nominations for bad/worst OTC codger burley?
SWR

I may need a flack jacket now.
Not from me. I abominate the excrescence. It has all of the charm of a Pall Mall straight cigarette.

Now the SWR Aromatic is a very different story.
I remember when I first smoked SWR Aromatic.I thought it was pure ambrosia. The only other tobacco I had ever smoked up to that point was SWR original, however. I can't rightly remember what either of them tasted like now and I haven't seen any iteration of SWR for sale in stores in quite some time. SWR can't be all that bad. It started me on the road of pipe smoking and both William Faulkner and Irving Wallace were known to favor it, to say nothing of my grandpappy. Please note: I never actually called my grandfather my grandpappy.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:19 am

Anyone have any experience with Heine's Blend by Sutliff?

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:31 pm

KYBURLEY wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:19 am
It's very good. I have nothing but fond memories of it, though it's been some years since I smoked it.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm

I have been grossly, shamelessly unfair to BLWB in the past. I atone for it several times a day now.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm
I have been grossly, shamelessly unfair to BLWB in the past. I atone for it several times a day now.
It really is good, isn't it? I don't know why Ii thought I didn't like it for as long as I did. The recipe has always been the same, no?

I'd smoke it all the time now.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:00 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm
hugodrax wrote:
It really is good, isn't it? I don't know why Ii thought I didn't like it for as long as I did. The recipe has always been the same, no?

It is. I thought it insipid. No, it's just good. Cheerfully working my way through a few oz. There will be more. Also that delightful sounding cherry blend you were talking about. What was that called again?

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:00 pm
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

It is. I thought it insipid. No, it's just good. Cheerfully working my way through a few oz. There will be more. Also that delightful sounding cherry blend you were talking about. What was that called again?
Blood Red Moon? S'alright. Amazing how it tastes just like a red Tootsie Pop. It's mild to the point of being almost insipid, but it does taste just like the candy of our boyhoods.

I thought BLWB was better.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Blood Red Moon? S'alright. Amazing how it tastes just like a red Tootsie Pop. It's mild to the point of being almost insipid, but it does taste just like the candy of our boyhoods.

BLWB was one of my standard daily smokes for years. I’m rediscovering it myself.
A student who smokes with us just gave me a few ounces as a gift at the end of the term.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 am

durangopipe wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

BLWB was one of my standard daily smokes for years. I’m rediscovering it myself.
A student who smokes with us just gave me a few ounces as a gift at the end of the term.
It’s been years since I’ve had BLWB. I believe 6 to be exact. I’ll be sure to revisit this one!
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:38 am
durangopipe wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

It’s been years since I’ve had BLWB. I believe 6 to be exact. I’ll be sure to revisit this one!
You know, I was pleasantly surprised. The older I get, the easier I seem to be to be pleased. I'm still a Virginia flake guy, but I genuinely enjoy lightly sweetened burleys. Lanes Ready Rubbed and the BLWB hit the sweet spot as all rounders--passers-by enjoy them, I enjoy them, everybody's happy except the dink who likes to scream at me for smoking. The thought I might be giving him lung cancer by smoking on the street makes me tingle with happiness.

Anyway, I ramble. I'm interested to know what you think of it. I respect a man that prefers the .45.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 am
7formy1911 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

You know, I was pleasantly surprised. The older I get, the easier I seem to be to be pleased. I'm still a Virginia flake guy, but I genuinely enjoy lightly sweetened burleys. Lanes Ready Rubbed and the BLWB hit the sweet spot as all rounders--passers-by enjoy them, I enjoy them, everybody's happy except the dink who likes to scream at me for smoking. The thought I might be giving him lung cancer by smoking on the street makes me tingle with happiness.

Anyway, I ramble. I'm interested to know what you think of it. I respect a man that prefers the .45.
As we all get older our preferences change, including caliber of choice. For any sort of social work I prefer 9mm but nothing beats an accurate match load in .45 for just the pure pleasure of shooting. Hopefully my lot has not diminished due to my preference change :wink:
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 am

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

As we all get older our preferences change, including caliber of choice. For any sort of social work I prefer 9mm but nothing beats an accurate match load in .45 for just the pure pleasure of shooting. Hopefully my lot has not diminished due to my preference change :wink:
Hah. No, sir. Better not to be a dinosaur and the mark of the man is the ability to change his decisions with experience. I like the platform, that's all. I also loved my old M9 and covet a Hi Power.

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:38 am
7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
7formy1911 wrote:
durangopipe wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Hah. No, sir. Better not to be a dinosaur and the mark of the man is the ability to change his decisions with experience. I like the platform, that's all. I also loved my old M9 and covet a Hi Power.
Experience has certainly been a very good teacher. Almost 8 years of LE work helped a lot too. You get to see a lot of mistakes as well as things that went right as it pertains to the defensive use of firearms.

In any case I’ll add some BLWB to my next order and post a review.

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:31 pm
KYBURLEY wrote:
It's very good. I have nothing but fond memories of it, though it's been some years since I smoked it.
I'm gonna have to try it out. Hopefully I can find a smaller sample than the 14 oz. tub. I'm a sucker for the chunky cut Burley blends. Do you remember anything about the topping at all?

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:46 pm

KYBURLEY wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 pm
A_Morley wrote:
KYBURLEY wrote:
I'm gonna have to try it out. Hopefully I can find a smaller sample than the 14 oz. tub. I'm a sucker for the chunky cut Burley blends. Do you remember anything about the topping at all?
Sort of a coconut, root beer, baby powder type of topping. Not candy sweet like German or contemporary American and not at all sticky. The pluggy, cube cut burley gives it a woody, nutty tobacco flavor would be good by itself if you like burley. It's very similar to Mixture No 79 by the same company, but not soapy in it's aromatic quality.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Mixture 79 is delightful. On the rare occasions I encounter it, I smoke it happily.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:54 pm

I've actually left off the codger burley for a while to get myself to smoke something else.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:41 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:46 pm
KYBURLEY wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 pm
A_Morley wrote:
KYBURLEY wrote:
Sort of a coconut, root beer, baby powder type of topping. Not candy sweet like German or contemporary American and not at all sticky. The pluggy, cube cut burley gives it a woody, nutty tobacco flavor would be good by itself if you like burley. It's very similar to Mixture No 79 by the same company, but not soapy in it's aromatic quality.
Thank You

Auroraboy
Usher
Usher

Post by Auroraboy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:08 am

Over the Christmas break, I finally ordered a pouch of Lane's Ready-Rubbed, which I'd been meaning to try, and several pouches of Carter Hall, which has completely disappeared from stores in my area. I'm very excited to get into the Ready-Rubbed!

Happy New Year to all us codgers--