The Codger Burley Thread

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:45 pm

It's about time that we had one.

So, all things codger burley. What is a codger burley? How are they defined? Why do you like them? Alternately, why do you not like them?

By way of getting the ball rolling, here are my nominations for the greatest (and, perhaps, the only) representatives of the codger burley
• Prince Albert
• Sir Walter Raleigh
• Half & Half
• Carter Hall
• Kentucky Club
• Five Brothers
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by DAN » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:24 pm

I've simply not tried them. I haven't yet tried anything somewhat aromatic that's really tripped my trigger, so that keeps me from trying some of them. Reviews of others who seem to enjoy things similar to what I enjoy give me the impression that I might find the others somewhat less intensely flavorful than I like.

Walnut looks okay. I might try it sometime. I might buy some PA and some BLWB at the same time and see how they compare.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

User avatar
CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm
Location: Between the corn and soybean fields.
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by CW Spook » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:37 pm

A_Morley wrote:It's about time that we had one.

So, all things codger burley. What is a codger burley? How are they defined? Why do you like them? Alternately, why do you not like them?

By way of getting the ball rolling, here are my nominations for the greatest (and, perhaps, the only) representatives of the codger burley
• Prince Albert
• Sir Walter Raleigh
• Half & Half
• Carter Hall
• Kentucky Club
• Five Brothers
That a good list, but it should probably include Mixture 79 and Velvet. I think of codger burleys as those OTC blends that our fathers and grandfathers smoked, and now that I'm both, still meets that definition. They were the blends available at every grocery store and drug store at least through the 50s and 60s, before the cavendish aros started becoming popular among younger smokers. When I was a young twerp like most of you folks, pulling out a pipe gave me something in common to share with the old farmers who were my customers at the bank. SWR & Mixture 79 were my father's regular smokes and I still keep a pouch of SWR and/or CH as part of my regular rotation. It reminds me of my dad, who's been gone 15 years, and I enjoy the taste of a good burley blend. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a tub of P&C's CH clone to try.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:38 pm

DAN wrote:I've simply not tried them. I haven't yet tried anything somewhat aromatic that's really tripped my trigger, so that keeps me from trying some of them. Reviews of others who seem to enjoy things similar to what I enjoy give me the impression that I might find the others somewhat less intensely flavorful than I like.

Walnut looks okay. I might try it sometime. I might buy some PA and some BLWB at the same time and see how they compare.
Really? Willikers. I didn't think that there was a pipe smoker alive who hadn't smoked a codger burley. They're one of the great though maligned gems of pipe smoking. Smoke PA. BLWB doesn't even compare. I hate that stuff.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:42 pm

CW Spook wrote:
A_Morley wrote:It's about time that we had one.

So, all things codger burley. What is a codger burley? How are they defined? Why do you like them? Alternately, why do you not like them?

By way of getting the ball rolling, here are my nominations for the greatest (and, perhaps, the only) representatives of the codger burley
• Prince Albert
• Sir Walter Raleigh
• Half & Half
• Carter Hall
• Kentucky Club
• Five Brothers
That a good list, but it should probably include Mixture 79 and Velvet. I think of codger burleys as those OTC blends that our fathers and grandfathers smoked, and now that I'm both, still meets that definition. They were the blends available at every grocery store and drug store at least through the 50s and 60s, before the cavendish aros started becoming popular among younger smokers. When I was a young twerp like most of you folks, pulling out a pipe gave me something in common to share with the old farmers who were my customers at the bank. SWR & Mixture 79 were my father's regular smokes and I still keep a pouch of SWR and/or CH as part of my regular rotation. It reminds me of my dad, who's been gone 15 years, and I enjoy the taste of a good burley blend. As a matter of fact, I just ordered a tub of P&C's CH clone to try.
I suppose 79 would qualify. It's mostly burley and I do like it. That perfumey, Lakelandish topping it has isn't typical of the classic codger burley. That, and Hugh Hefner smoked it. Still though, I like it. I would buy another tub, if I could find it. I haven't seen it for sale in years.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm
Location: Between the corn and soybean fields.
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by CW Spook » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:54 pm

I don't care for 79 either, but it is primarily burley. P&C still sells it, but like the other Lakeland-scented types, will ghost a pipe pretty badly. I've got a Falcon that I bought from a guy in England that I'm still trying to purge. Every pipe smoker should at least try one of the others. I actually think CH may be the best of the lot.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

User avatar
Hovannes
one lone Wollensak
one lone Wollensak
Posts: 21945
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: In the fertile San Joaquin Valley

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by Hovannes » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:29 pm

I try to keep Prince Albert around for breaking in new pipes. He's good for that, I've found. Nice and quick, clean cake building. I don't know if he'll build a cake for same sex marriage briars but I suspect he would. I won't hold that against the Prince because he is, well, British (albeit in name only.) Codger Burleys=Rold Gold Pretzels=Log Cabin Syrup=Oreo cookies-Shredded Wheat=Smith Bros. lozenges=Absorbine Jr. in that they are all wonders of the early American industrial age. And they all have a purpose that is for the most part overshadowed by sentimentality.
For smoking pleasure any bulk rough cut Burley is more to my liking.
Mixture 79 is a pox on humanity.

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 3446
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by DAN » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Hovannes wrote:I try to keep Prince Albert around for breaking in new pipes. He's good for that, I've found. Nice and quick, clean cake building. I don't know if he'll build a cake for same sex marriage briars but I suspect he would. I won't hold that against the Prince because he is, well, British (albeit in name only.) Codger Burleys=Rold Gold Pretzels=Log Cabin Syrup=Oreo cookies-Shredded Wheat=Smith Bros. lozenges=Absorbine Jr. in that they are all wonders of the early American industrial age. And they all have a purpose that is for the most part overshadowed by sentimentality.
For smoking pleasure any bulk rough cut Burley is more to my liking.
Mixture 79 is a pox on humanity.


oh, c'mon. Tell us how you REALLY feel.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

User avatar
JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Posts: 19856
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:01 pm

Hovannes wrote: Mixture 79 is a pox on humanity.
I like it when someone maligns M79. It gives me someone to pray for.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:04 pm

I do wonder why people hate Mixture No. 79 so much.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Posts: 2358
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by serapion » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Mixture 79= oil of ole lady


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Posts: 5323
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by MrPiper » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:32 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:26 am

MrPiper wrote:SWR is a rich and flavorful choice. It's my favorite from your list. In its current incarnation I particularly like the chunky cut style. I recommend it to anyone for anytime. Also on the cake building front, I find Captain Black, SWR and most of the MacBaren aromatics to do a fairly quick job. Captain Black Round gives the least ghosting in my experience. PA might do just as well, I just haven't tried it for breaking in a pipe.
Forsooth.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
CW Spook
yarn hank-winder
yarn hank-winder
Posts: 1315
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:31 pm
Location: Between the corn and soybean fields.
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by CW Spook » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:47 am

I'm having my codger breakfast of coffe and SWR smoked in an old Dr Grabow Omega.
"The king hath knowledge of all they intend, by interception they dream not of..." - King Henry V: Act 2
--In God we trust. All others we monitor.--

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3277
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: House in VA, living and working in Los Alamos, NM

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by GaryInVA » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:37 am

I have some Carter Hall on hand that I enjoy greatly. Have tried Half and Half and didn't care for it.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 pm

GaryInVA wrote:Have tried Half and Half and didn't care for it.
You know, I've never liked it either.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Zeitguy
Minister of crushing repartee
Minister of crushing repartee
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:16 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by Zeitguy » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:44 pm

Different toppings affect us in different ways.

I rather enjoy Mixture 79. I do not enjoy Half & Half.

My favorite codger blend is Sugar Barrel. Naturally sweet and nutty. It has a very long shelf-life, but very little propylene glycol. Wonderful stuff.

It is no longer available, recently discontinued by Middleton. I know where a couple-three 12-oz tubs are available in Madison, if anyone would like to have some.


Mmmm.... I'm smoking a bowl right now!

User avatar
venator260
Minister of Metal
Minister of Metal
Posts: 2417
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: Southcentral, PA
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by venator260 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:49 pm

A_Morley wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:Have tried Half and Half and didn't care for it.
You know, I've never liked it either.

My reaction has always been "meh". If I'm in that sort of mood, I prefer Prince Albert or Carter Hall.

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by A_Morley » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:07 pm

venator260 wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
GaryInVA wrote:Have tried Half and Half and didn't care for it.
You know, I've never liked it either.

My reaction has always been "meh". If I'm in that sort of mood, I prefer Prince Albert or Carter Hall.
I think that I only ever met one guy who liked Half & Half. I've never been able to finish a pouch.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

MrPiper
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Needs to lighten up with the Xs
Posts: 5323
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by MrPiper » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:24 pm

xxxxxx
Last edited by MrPiper on Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply