The Codger Burley Thread

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by Goose55 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 pm

I am trying Solani Aged Burley Flake. Too soon to say whether I will come to like it. Definitely not anything like a Virginia flake, not did I expect it to be.

For those who love Burley, PM me, and I'll send you a couple of these flakes in a standard envelop
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Post by philofumo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:37 pm
Would the now defunct Blue Boar classify as a codger burley, do you think? It was mostly burley, I know, but does it, or any of its present day clones, merit codger status?
Possibly,
possibly not.

Blue Boar was marketed as a "high grade mixture" but it was readily available so it seems to fit the bill.

Interestingly, I went looking for Runowski commentary on the stuff because I knew he had loved it and found an old post of yours on pipes.org,
pretty neat!
http://pipes.org/forums/messages/24/102 ... 1109723555

In this Runowski musing he denotes that Blue Boar was somewhat of a rarity amongst codgers, the kernel of a thread topic contained therein, regarding ones "signature smoke" is also very interesting...

...my signature smoke is Velvan Plug, but it is now dead --- my new signature smoke is Samuel Gawith Lakeland Dark, the room note ain't as nice as Velvan, but it sure does satisfy my needs with much aplomb.

The Runowski quote:
My old friend and mentor, the late Bernie Brenner, was a great, although rather eccentric, teacher and sculptor. He was also a prodigious pipesmoker of Kriswells and Blue Boar Rough Cut tobacco. Blue Boar was his favorite blend, and it became his signature blend. If one smelled the acrid and pungent aroma of Blue Boar, there was a 95% probability that Brenner was nearby. You didn't have to check the office schedule to know if he was in his office; just sniff the corridor. He wasn't the only smoker in that faculty cluster, nor the only pipesmoker, but he was the only person whom I knew who smoked Blue Boar. Other than his mentor, of course, but that's another story. Anyway, I was thinking of Brenner today and his olfactory signature. Then, I thought of JM Barrie, and his Arcadia mix (aka Craven's Blend), and how eloquently he described his obsession w/ the Arcadia mix. And, I thought of our Mr Morley and his obsession w/ Murray's Mellow Mixture, and the turn-of-the century advertisements for Honest: 'If that's Honest, then blow der smoke dis way.." said a tramcar driver to a young man smoking on the tram. And, James Schlesinger and HIS affection for SWR. And, another old friend, the late Mike McGonigle who smoked one fresh pouch of Granger each day. The foil pouch, only; not the tub pr the tin. One and three fourths ounces of tobacco, each day, all year long. These were individual peculiarities but the brand of tobacco was their 'signature', as clear and distinct as if there was the individual's photo emblazoned in 3-D in front of you.

SO, I'm certain that one of more of you remark on the lack of uniqueness. After all, what's unique about one person, one blend. Codgers have done this for years, mostly resulting from lack of information, their lack of being plugged into the omniscient 'Net, their lack of sophistication. Whatever. But, one's signature blend, in the '30s and '40s, marked the man as clearly as a billboard, too. The choice of blend noted one's station, one's activities, one's choices, one's self perception. One simply didn't flit from tobacco to tobacco; not that there wasn't ample variety but there was a strong conservative approach to smoking.

So, I pose this question to all of you this evening, "Do you have a signature smoke?". One so clearly distinct "you", that the mere charring light and the first few puffs would identify you to any one, even in a darkened room. And, then, what does that blend say to others about you? Sophisticated? Outdoorsman? Academic? Do we pick the blends because of taste or for more underlying reasons? I would bet the latter. Or, do we show out lack of commitment and 'flit about'? DO you have a signature?
Last edited by philofumo on Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:34 pm
I am trying Solani Aged Burley Flake. Too soon to say whether I will come to like it. Definitely not anything like a Virginia flake, not did I expect it to be.

For those who love Burley, PM me, and I'll send you a couple of these flakes in a standard envelop
That is indeed good stuff, but not very codgerly --- it is more along the lines of a "gentleman's burley". :)

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:56 pm

7formy1911
Sick of being a butthead
Sick of being a butthead

Post by 7formy1911 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:48 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Would the now defunct Blue Boar classify as a codger burley, do you think? It was mostly burley, I know, but does it, or any of its present day clones, merit codger status?
I vote yes since the majority of the blend was burley with some additional leaves added to enhance the burley. If Bob Runowski cloned the blend then I would most assuredly bet on it being a codger burley. Since Morleys Best is his homage to Blue Boar I'll stick to my guns on this one.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis De Tocqueville

"Speed is fine. Accuracy is final."

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:22 pm

In the earlier days, Blue Boar was rather expensive, I'm unsure if it carried a premium price in its later years though.

In 1916 it was 25¢ for the new "pocket package"...

...while other pipe tobacco could be had as cheap as 5¢ for the same size package.

Here's an interesting doc from the American Tobacco Company's archive, but Blue Boar doesn't show up until around page 170 or thereabouts, and it details that it is an "expensive" tobacco --- sadly poor xerox quality will frustrate the reader as it is choppy, but there is probably a duplicate with better quality on the site, it is just difficult and time-consuming to hunt such stuff down....

https://www.industrydocumentslibrary.uc ... d=yghb0020

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:48 pm
A_Morley wrote:
I vote yes since the majority of the blend was burley with some additional leaves added to enhance the burley. If Bob Runowski cloned the blend then I would most assuredly bet on it being a codger burley. Since Morleys Best is his homage to Blue Boar I'll stick to my guns on this one.
If only you blokes would be half as passionate about taxation being theft.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:47 pm

7formy1911 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:48 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Indeed. The only problem with Bike Boar was that it drew a significant vacuum. It stunk on ice.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:22 am

philofumo is probably my favorite CPS member right now. It does my heart good to see that one can be clinically insane while still being pleasant and contributing to everyone's knowledge of pipes and tobacco in such a beneficent way.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:52 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 pm
If only you blokes would be half as passionate about taxation being theft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAO_uJ3ZrXo

:!:
:idea:
:arrow:

Superfluum quod tenes tu furaris.

O! reason not the need; our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous:
Allow not nature more than nature needs,
Man's life is cheap as beast's.

King Lear,
Act II,
scene 4

:pie:

mountainman
Order of the Purple Moon
Order of the Purple Moon

Post by mountainman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:24 pm

After reading through this thread I decided to open a pouch of Prince Albert; I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this tobacco. The smell of the tobacco in the pouch, the taste, the room note, all very pleasing. I do want to try some of the other codger burleys though, I think SWR is the next on my list to try.
:pipe3: Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
The old pipe gives the sweetest smoke.

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:00 pm

I peaked into my pipe and tobacco cabinet yesterday for the first time in a while with the intent to find a nice burly to smoke with my cup of coffee. But I ran into a couple of problems. First I couldn't remember which end of the pipe went into the mouth and then I couldn't figure out what the tamper was for. Alas I decided that I must have been aging my burly and that it probably needed more aging. :mrgreen:

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 am

I've recently discovered that an old OTC as released by a different company is now far, far better than ever it was before. Anybody care to guess to which drugstore tobacco I refer?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:33 am

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:03 am
I've recently discovered that an old OTC as released by a different company is now far, far better than ever it was before. Anybody care to guess to which drugstore tobacco I refer?
I have no idea, but you have piqued my interest.
Sola Deo Gloria

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 am

Gabriel wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:33 am
A_Morley wrote:
Do tell.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 am
Gabriel wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Do tell.
'Tis Paladin Black Cherry. Far better than I remember it and a pleasant enough smoke in and of itself. Easily one of the better cherry tobaccos I've smoked, in this iteration, anyway.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

A_Morley wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Do tell.
'Tis Paladin Black Cherry. Far better than I remember it and a pleasant enough smoke in and of itself. Easily one of the better cherry tobaccos I've smoked, in this iteration, anyway.
Really!?! That was one of the worst tobaccos I have ever had the misfortune of ever setting a match to.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:56 am

UncleBob wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am
A_Morley wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:43 am
GaryInVA wrote:
Gabriel wrote:
A_Morley wrote:
Do tell.
Really!?! That was one of the worst tobaccos I have ever had the misfortune of ever setting a match to.
It's better now. I swear it. Not transcendent or ambrosial or anything, but it is passable to pleasant.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 pm

I'd like to see a list of defunct but not unmourned OTC tobaccos. I've seen a few brands fade away in my lifetime. A few that come to mind are:
  • Field & Stream
    Greenbriar
    Walnut
    China Black
    Four Seasons
    Country Doctor
    Walnut
Do any others come to mind
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:10 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 pm
I'd like to see a list of defunct but not unmourned OTC tobaccos. I've seen a few brands fade away in my lifetime. A few that come to mind are:
  • Field & Stream
    Greenbriar
    Walnut
    China Black
    Four Seasons
    Country Doctor
    Walnut
Do any others come to mind
Edgeworth
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23