The Codger Burley Thread

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
philofumo
BROTHERSMOKE, Bizarrely Packaged Wealth of Information

Re: The Codger Burley Thread

Post by philofumo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:40 am

hugodrax wrote:

I like the RR, but have definitely met people who didn't. It seemed a solid smoke amongst those who worked. Plenty of office guys smoked it as well as people in more blue collared trades. I always wondered about Walnut--that was solely a white collar smoke around here when I was young.
You would be interested in the uppercrust stuff wouldn't you?
You're not a codger, you're a poser! :yes:
:no:

CPS's own William Serad did some OTC reviews in Pipes & Tobaccos back in the Fall '99 issue --- I hope he doesn't mind, but I've transcribed certain extracts for our discussion here:
William Serad wrote:

Walnut
John Middleton Inc.

This is not Walnut flavored, but named for one of the oldest streets in Philadelphia where John Middleton first opened his tobacco shop in 1854...

...it is an original 19th century blend of seven tobaccos, and it is an English of light character...

...it is a smooth, relaxed and flavorful smoke with no stridency...

...and the cost of a 12-ounce container was about what one would pay for a 50-gram tin of the high-end stuff. I would compare this favorably against several recent bluebloods as it has its own pedigree.
I have long been after a copy of his Trial by Fire book but haven't been able to source a copy as they rarely show up for sale.

P&T has been running a 20th Anniversary Back Issue Sale and it's a great bargain:

http://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/back-issues/

:pie:

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 am

philofumo wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:40 am
hugodrax wrote:

I like the RR, but have definitely met people who didn't. It seemed a solid smoke amongst those who worked. Plenty of office guys smoked it as well as people in more blue collared trades. I always wondered about Walnut--that was solely a white collar smoke around here when I was young.

CPS's own William Serad did some OTC reviews in Pipes & Tobaccos back in the Fall '99 issue --- I hope he doesn't mind, but I've transcribed certain extracts for our discussion here:
William Serad wrote:

Walnut
John Middleton Inc.

This is not Walnut flavored, but named for one of the oldest streets in Philadelphia where John Middleton first opened his tobacco shop in 1854...

...it is an original 19th century blend of seven tobaccos, and it is an English of light character...

...and the cost of a 12-ounce container was about what one would pay for a 50-gram tin of the high-end stuff. I would compare this favorably against several recent bluebloods as it has its own pedigree.
I have long been after a copy of his Trial by Fire book but haven't been able to source a copy as they rarely show up for sale.

P&T has been running a 20th Anniversary Back Issue Sale and it's a great bargain:

What do you have against bandwidth? I simply noted that those who worked at anything seemed to like Edgeworth whereas I only remember white collar guys smoking Walnut. I didn't note that I disliked Walnut unless blended, bUT I doubt you'd have noticed anyway.

At no point in time did I ask for your opinion on myself, nor inquire as to the price of a tub of Walnut, back when it was available, nor even ask you what William Serad's opinion of it might be. As to your desire to purchase a copy of his book, I don't care. You say back issues can be ordered cheaply? Bully for you, sport.

You are a wealth of interesting tidbits but you chase to many squirrels to ever make a good hunting dog.

Outcodger that, you felonious tyro of tobacco, you half scholar of hard pressed plugs, you. And get off my lawn.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:31 am

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 am
philofumo wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

William Serad wrote:

Walnut
John Middleton Inc.

What do you have against bandwidth? I simply noted that those who worked at anything seemed to like Edgeworth whereas I only remember white collar guys smoking Walnut. I didn't note that I disliked Walnut unless blended, bUT I doubt you'd have noticed anyway.

At no point in time did I ask for your opinion on myself, nor inquire as to the price of a tub of Walnut, back when it was available, nor even ask you what William Serad's opinion of it might be. As to your desire to purchase a copy of his book, I don't care. You say back issues can be ordered cheaply? Bully for you, sport.

You are a wealth of interesting tidbits but you chase to many squirrels to ever make a good hunting dog.

Outcodger that, you felonious tyro of tobacco, you half scholar of hard pressed plugs, you. And get off my lawn.
I peed.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

philofumo

Post by philofumo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:32 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:31 am
hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:12 am
philofumo wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

William Serad wrote:

Walnut
John Middleton Inc.

I peed.
:P
I peed too,
and I am defeated.

It had a sting!

My only critique being that Hugo misspelled "too",
otherwise,
it is a crystalline example of classic codgerdom.

I was going to try and compose a retort using the Scots dialect, but thought better of it, a smart pugilist knows not to try and fight above his weightclass and I am but a featherweight who don't wanna get brutalized under the unrelenting pummeling literary fists of a true master. :box:

I concede sir, and withdraw my comment.

You are most definitely not a poseur.

:!:

PostScript:
You are so right about the squirrels!

Screwy Squirrel is my totem animal and all-around inspirational figure!

(insert unnecessary bandwidth gobbling here)
:mrgreen:

Off Topic
Wikipedia wrote:

Screwball "Screwy" Squirrel is a cartoon character, an anthropomorphic squirrel created by Tex Avery for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. He is generally considered the wackiest and outright most antagonistic of the screwball cartoon characters of the 1940s.

Among the most outrageous cartoon characters ever created, Screwy can do almost anything to almost anyone: he pulls objects out of thin air, doubles himself, and constantly breaks the fourth wall, all the while uttering a characteristic cackling laugh.

The character was not as successful as Avery's Droopy was at this time, and Screwy was killed off after appearing in only five cartoons: Screwball Squirrel (1944), Happy-Go-Nutty (1944), Big Heel-Watha (1944), The Screwy Truant (1945), and Lonesome Lenny (1946).

The character was notable for being brash and erratic, and is considered by some to be more annoying than funny, with few sympathetic personality characteristics such as Bugs Bunny's nobility or Daffy Duck's pathos. Most of his cartoons revolve around him inflicting various forms of torture on his enemy (usually Meathead Dog, voiced by Dick Nelson) for seven minutes.

In The Screwy Truant, Screwy hits a dog across the head with everything he can find in a trunk labeled "Assorted Swell Stuff to Hit Dog on Head". When he finishes, the dog remarks, "Gee whiz! He hit me with everything but the kitchen sink!" Screwy responds with, "Well, don't want to disappoint you, chum," then pulls out that very item and bashes him over the head with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwy_Squirrel

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:54 am
Have 4 ounces of LL Edgeworth RR inbound from P&C.

Why is Carter Hall 5 or 6 bucks per luxury pouch? Mars Cigars has it for $4.
If you don't like RR, you are a commie.
I am not now, nor have ever, been associated with the Communist Party. I submit to the Seante my first blush of Edgeworth:

Platonic implications of greatness.

Hoping that puts this item to rest.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

For the better part of a year now I have been virtually incapable of smoking anything other than Prince Albert. I've confessed as much to Skip and he has offered me absolution. I'll suppose that I'll have another pipe of Prince Albert before bed.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:36 pm

I finally got around to trying Chatham Manor - a lovely codger burley "match" for Carter Hall. Most of the burleys I've smoked have not been OTCs; rather, things like BLWB and Classic Burley Kake. I like this one very much. It smokes dry and cool (although much of that is likely due to the FredS pipe I'm smoking it in). It has a lovely, nutty flavor with just a bit of topping. My wife has not commented on it yet, but the room note seems pleasant enough to me. I'll take a jar up to work to smoke around others.

I do love my FredS bent brandy!

Look at all this white hair and out codger that, youngsters!
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 am

As has been touched on, there is such thing as a bad codger burley. Granger, for instance. I somehow doubt that Granger was ever any damn good, but it may have changed over the years.

Does anybody have any other nominations for bad/worst OTC codger burley?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:14 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:54 am
As has been touched on, there is such thing as a bad codger burley. Granger, for instance. I somehow doubt that Granger was ever any damn good, but it may have changed over the years.

I smoked Granger a few times in '70s and '80s as a friend smoked it exclusively. I always thought it was harsh.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 am

A CPS member kindly sent me a box of tobacco samples about a year ago. Included was a Ziplock with a few ounces of Half and Half. I probably didn't give it a fair trial, smoking only a few bowls, but I remember finding it very unpleasant to my taste. Everything else in the box had some quality that made it worth keeping and smoking up, but I quickly gave the remaining Half and Half away.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:12 am

durangopipe wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:59 am
A CPS member kindly sent me a box of tobacco samples about a year ago. Included was a Ziplock with a few ounces of Half and Half. I probably didn't give it a fair trial, smoking only a few bowls, but I remember finding it very unpleasant to my taste. Everything else in the box had some quality that made it worth keeping and smoking up, but I quickly gave the remaining Half and Half away.
I agree fully. I hate that crap. I usually try to be more charitable towards such classic American pipe tobacco brands, but, no. I hate that crap.

Is there anybody who likes Half & Half? Anybody? If not, it's going on my bad codger list.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:12 am
durangopipe wrote:
I agree fully. I hate that crap. I usually try to be more charitable towards such classic American pipe tobacco brands, but, no. I hate that crap.

Is there anybody who likes Half & Half? Anybody? If not, it's going on my bad codger list.
I enjoy H&H, but only in short bursts and not with any regularity. I used to like it more, but it slipped into the 'meh' column over time.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:29 am

JimVH wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 am
A_Morley wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

I enjoy H&H, but only in short bursts and not with any regularity. I used to like it more, but it slipped into the 'meh' column over time.
'Meh' simply isn't good enough. Unless somebody comes forward as actually liking Half & Half, it's heading up the list of Bad Codgers.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Gabriel
Enraged by S'mores
Enraged by S'mores

Post by Gabriel » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:55 am

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:29 am
JimVH wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:41 am
A_Morley wrote:
durangopipe wrote:

'Meh' simply isn't good enough. Unless somebody comes forward as actually liking Half & Half, it's heading up the list of Bad Codgers.
Send it to the list!
Sola Deo Gloria

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am

Don't understand the hatred of Half and Half. It isn't great, but it's certainly smokeable, occasionally even enjoyable. I buy it occasionally.

It's better than Sir Walter Raleigh.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am
Don't understand the hatred of Half and Half. It isn't great, but it's certainly smokeable, occasionally even enjoyable. I buy it occasionally.

Ooh. A dissenting voice. Better than SWR, you say?

For my part, I found that Half & Half was so chemical laden that it didn't even burn correctly and that it tasted like sweetened plastic.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:30 pm

I like it. I think the toppings have been altered a bit over time, but Lane has returned it to a glimpse of its former self. Really good Burley and a really good cut is being used now. SWR is better too

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 pm

A_Morley wrote:

SWR

I may need a flack jacket now.
DL Jake

DepartedLight

Post by DepartedLight » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:27 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:16 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:59 am

Ooh. A dissenting voice. Better than SWR, you say?

For my part, I found that Half & Half was so chemical laden that it didn't even burn correctly and that it tasted like sweetened plastic.
Maybe one of your fans replaced it with <insert offensive and politically incorrect remark here. Followed by cursing for no reason>.

You never know.
DL Jake

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:10 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:25 pm
A_Morley wrote:

SWR

I may need a flack jacket now.
Not from me. I abominate the excrescence. It has all of the charm of a Pall Mall straight cigarette.

Now the SWR Aromatic is a very different story.