Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL

Pipe Tobacco From 2007 onward

Post by Joshoowah » Wed May 18, 2016 3:03 am

Here is a tentative list: Post 2007 Tobacco

I have made it editable by anyone, which I will change eventually. Most of this was done by memory, which is why many of the dates are uncertain. Nevertheless, even though many are missing dates, I am fairly confident they came after 2007. Blends highlighted are uncertain in my mind if they come after the Feb. 2007 cutoff date. The list is anything but complete, which is why you all are able to edit. If you're not willing to mess with the format, just put new additions at the very bottom and I will sort them out.

You will also notice that I left off a lot of reintroduction stuff. For example, Rattray's new additions (Stirling Flake, Buckingham, etc.) are the recipes of other blends with a different name. I am unsure how these will be judged by the FDA, so they were left off the list for now. I also left off everything bulk because I'm not all that familiar with what's been around longer than 2007 and what hasn't.

Lastly, I do not smoke Cornell & Diehl all that much, nor do I keep up with their releases. So, if someone who is more familiar with their stuff and what they've released in recent years, please enlighten us (namely, me) of those blends that fail to meet the Feb. 2007 requirement.

Note: I began composing a list of tobaccos post-2007 (February) in order to have a better idea of what tobaccos would fall by the wayside should the regulations put forth by the FDA remain as they are.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Re: Pipe Tobacco From 2007 onward

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 18, 2016 9:18 am

A worthy undertaking, to be sure.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Wed May 18, 2016 5:19 pm

I smoke none of those blends. So I should be good.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:09 pm

I need to make an order of Pease and Old Dark Fired ASAP...
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:17 pm

It looks like Missouri Meerschaum blends will no longer be available. Yet, PipesandCigars introduced a new blend called "Scotty's Bass Pond" that seems appealing. They have also started selling two blends called "Casey Jones". It comes in a pouch, but I have no idea if it was introduced somewhere else before 2007 or just now. Which makes me wonder if they were somehow excempt

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:16 pm

Fainn wrote:It looks like Missouri Meerschaum blends will no longer be available. Yet, PipesandCigars introduced a new blend called "Scotty's Bass Pond" that seems appealing. They have also started selling two blends called "Casey Jones". It comes in a pouch, but I have no idea if it was introduced somewhere else before 2007 or just now. Which makes me wonder if they were somehow excempt
Well, they are currently legal to sell because the regulations have not taken effect and may not do so for at least a little while. P&C did send out an e-mail with a little tidbit about the FDA, saying Russ's concoctions would no longer be available barring the regulations remaining unchanged.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:39 pm

Here's another list with some updates. (Its not mine), but was posted in a Kaywoodie group.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1728646443

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:28 pm

Fainn wrote:Here's another list with some updates. (Its not mine), but was posted in a Kaywoodie group.

Lol. This is totally still my list. I just checked the ownership. I've seen this thing on 7 different groups now. I'll be updating it in the coming weeks to include all the new C&D, Dunhill, Rattray's, and any others I might notice along the way. No one else cares enough to edit the document I started, so I'm going to take down the ability to edit it once I really get started on this in a week or two.

ImageImage

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:51 pm

Joshoowah wrote:
Fainn wrote:Here's another list with some updates. (Its not mine), but was posted in a Kaywoodie group.

Lol. This is totally still my list. I just checked the ownership. I've seen this thing on 7 different groups now. I'll be updating it in the coming weeks to include all the new C&D, Dunhill, Rattray's, and any others I might notice along the way. No one else cares enough to edit the document I started, so I'm going to take down the ability to edit it once I really get started on this in a week or two.
The treatment of returning blends is a big question.
There are two cases (?) and these are my guesses and examples:
1) Available standard product in distribution and discontinued before Feb. 15 2007, returned to market after Feb. 15, 2007 - so there is a gap in availability covering Feb. 15, 2007 --> SE Required. Examples McCl Ashton Revival blends and all the McClelland Club Blends.
2) Available standard product in distribution through Feb. 15, 2007, and both discontinued and returned to market after Feb. 15, 2007 - Nothing to do, they should be ok(?) Examples the Dunhill standard tin set except Navy Rolls (which would require SE as new product introduced after Feb. 15, 2007), Durbar, Aperitif, & Eliz. Mix which were discontinued right around Feb. 15, 2007 and returned much later after a larger set were returned to distribution. Need to dig out some dates from old posts.
So we had three MD'd in about Feb. 2007, while availability of the rest continued until end of US distr. in Jul. 2008.
The "rest" returned to distr. with Navy Rolls (new) in late 2010. Then Eliz Mix returned (2012?) followed by Durbar & Aperitif in 2014?
Navy Rolls needs an SE. It's possible that just Eliz. Mix, Durbar, and Aperitif need an SE.

Limited production or limited time blends are never coming back anyway so what is there to do? eg McCl Christmas Cheers of past years. We don't have to return them! It's future limited edition blends that are the issue.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:49 am

Rusty wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

1) Available standard product in distribution and discontinued before Feb. 15 2007, returned to market after Feb. 15, 2007 - so there is a gap in availability covering Feb. 15, 2007 --> SE Required. Examples McCl Ashton Revival blends and all the McClelland Club Blends.
2) Available standard product in distribution through Feb. 15, 2007, and both discontinued and returned to market after Feb. 15, 2007 - Nothing to do, they should be ok(?) Examples the Dunhill standard tin set except Navy Rolls (which would require SE as new product introduced after Feb. 15, 2007), Durbar, Aperitif, & Eliz. Mix which were discontinued right around Feb. 15, 2007 and returned much later after a larger set were returned to distribution. Need to dig out some dates from old posts.
So we had three MD'd in about Feb. 2007, while availability of the rest continued until end of US distr. in Jul. 2008.
The "rest" returned to distr. with Navy Rolls (new) in late 2010. Then Eliz Mix returned (2012?) followed by Durbar & Aperitif in 2014?
Navy Rolls needs an SE. It's possible that just Eliz. Mix, Durbar, and Aperitif need an SE.

Limited production or limited time blends are never coming back anyway so what is there to do? eg McCl Christmas Cheers of past years. We don't have to return them! It's future limited edition blends that are the issue.
Wasn't Nightcap off the the market for a time and returned in 2010? Was Dunhill on the market in the US prior to the cut off date? I was under the impression it was on the market everywhere else but the US didn't have a distributor until CAO picked it up. If that is the case, would a product that got discontinued or went off the market for a time require SE because it was not in constant distribution in the US? Just curious.

ImageImage

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:05 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

Wasn't Nightcap off the the market for a time and returned in 2010? Was Dunhill on the market in the US prior to the cut off date? I was under the impression it was on the market everywhere else but the US didn't have a distributor until CAO picked it up. If that is the case, would a product that got discontinued or went off the market for a time require SE because it was not in constant distribution in the US? Just curious.
Yes. Nightcap and all Dunhill branded blends were not distributed in the US for a period commencing Jul 2008 (Lane) and ending sometime in late 2010 (? CAO/STG). Yes, Dunhill blends were on the market prior to Feb 15, 2007. And there were Dunhill blends, incl. Nightcap avail. & distributed, in the US on Feb. 15, 2007.
There is one new Dunhill blend that had never been available in the US before 2010 - Navy Rolls
There are three Dunhill blends (Aperitif, Durbar, Eliz Mix) that were manufacturer discontinued in 1Q07 (I have notes that this occurred in Jan 2007). These three blends returned after the US CAO distribution of the Dunhill blends in 2010 so they were not avail in the US distrib. on Feb 15, 2007.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060619072 ... /index.cfm
Dunhill blends for sale at Smokingpipes on Jun 19, 2006

https://web.archive.org/web/20070217005 ... /index.cfm
Dunhill blends for sale at Smokingpipes on Feb. 17, 2007

https://web.archive.org/web/20071029140 ... /index.cfm
Dunhill blends for sale at Smokingpipes on Oct 29, 2007

https://web.archive.org/web/20081217115 ... /index.cfm
Dunhill blends for sale at Smokingpipes on Dec. 17, 2008

https://web.archive.org/web/20110613235 ... /index.cfm
Dunhill blends for sale at Smokingpipes on June 13, 2011
Last edited by Rusty on Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:39 am

Rusty wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

Yes. Nightcap and all Dunhill branded blends were not distributed in the US for a period commencing Jul 2008 (Lane) and ending sometime in late 2010 (? CAO/STG). Yes, Dunhill blends were on the market prior to Feb 15, 2007. And there were Dunhill blends, incl. Nightcap avail. & distributed, in the US on Feb. 15, 2007.
There is one new Dunhill blend that had never been available in the US before 2010 - Navy Rolls
There are three Dunhill blends (Aperitif, Durbar, Eliz Mix) that were manufacturer discontinued in 1Q07 (I have notes that this occurred in Jan 2007). These three blends returned after the US CAO distribution of the Dunhill blends in 2010 so they were not avail in the US distrib. on Feb 15, 2007.

Thank you for the information, Rusty. Now once more, according to the regulations, and it's possible this could be my interpretation here, doesn't a tobacco blend have to be in constant manufacturing/distribution after the 2007 cut-off date? In other words, aren't blends that change hands (from Lane to CAO in Dunhill's case) characterized to be an entirely new blend, thus requiring SE? The regulations seem to read this way at first glance. This would put many of the Dunhill blends on the chopping block for US distribution, assuming CAO doesn't go through the approval process for each of their blends.

ImageImage

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:48 am

Joshoowah wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:
Rusty wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:

Thank you for the information, Rusty. Now once more, according to the regulations, and it's possible this could be my interpretation here, doesn't a tobacco blend have to be in constant manufacturing/distribution after the 2007 cut-off date? In other words, aren't blends that change hands (from Lane to CAO in Dunhill's case) characterized to be an entirely new blend, thus requiring SE? The regulations seem to read this way at first glance. This would put many of the Dunhill blends on the chopping block for US distribution, assuming CAO doesn't go through the approval process for each of their blends.
The deeming rule isn't clear on these things. You can take the worst case and presume so. But a change in the US importer/distributor is not a change in the manufacturer or the product. The drop out in availability may or may not be significant. There was a change in manufacturer from 2005 to 2006 but that precedes Feb. 15, 2007.

The deeming rule does address evidence (eg shipping records and other things) that a tobacco was available Feb. 15, 2007.
We don't know what the importers will do. The importer will weigh the new investment (SE) required vs. the sales volume and position in the market. In some cases we will lose the blend and in others it will remain. We may also lose blends that precede feb 15, 2007 and have been available continuously through the interim. New investment forces review of product lines.

les
Usher
Usher

Post by les » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:49 pm

Yo Rusty - would having just one leftover tin of a distribution discontinued blend that was sitting on a B&M shelf Feb07 constitute being 'on the market''? I got some tins of Durbar in 2008 from a store in Boston, even though it had been no longer imported, and those were doubtless sitting on their shelf through the transition.

hp
les

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:31 pm

les wrote:Yo Rusty - would having just one leftover tin of a distribution discontinued blend that was sitting on a B&M shelf Feb07 constitute being 'on the market''? I got some tins of Durbar in 2008 from a store in Boston, even though it had been no longer imported, and those were doubtless sitting on their shelf through the transition.

hp
les
Oy Les - No, the retailer having stock does not necessarily mean the product is still being distributed. Durbar was no longer being made after early 2007. We call these retail relics "Shellbriar survivors" in the US and "Rusty Evaders" in Canada. As you and I both know the market was so small that stock sat on retailer shelves for a very long time. The supply chain drains slower as the customers die off. I was still buying Murray's Erinmore Flake in 2007 and Murrays closed in summer 2005.

We used to find very old tins in some of the old B&Ms in Canada. They finally went away when labeling laws changed and they could not be sold anymore. We sometimes saw tins with ten and fifteen year old prices. B&M's were functioning museums of old products that had been gone for many years.

The FDA will ask the importer/manufacturer (the one that pays the excise tax) to show they were shipping it as of Feb 15, 2007. If they weren't then it wasn't on the market.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:26 pm

I ordered some East India Trading Company Cellar Reserve before I realized it was released in 2015. It will suck if I really like it only to have it disappear.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:13 pm

I ran across some C&D Kajun Kake I jarred up in 2006
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:59 pm

The important question: when did UB create Shortcut to Mushrooms????
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Joshoowah wrote:Lastly, I do not smoke Cornell & Diehl all that much, nor do I keep up with their releases. So, if someone who is more familiar with their stuff and what they've released in recent years, please enlighten us (namely, me) of those blends that fail to meet the Feb. 2007 requirement.
Anyone make a list of C&D yet? Last night I bought a sleeve of Sam's Blend just in case.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion

Post by Joshoowah » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:01 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Joshoowah wrote:Lastly, I do not smoke Cornell & Diehl all that much, nor do I keep up with their releases. So, if someone who is more familiar with their stuff and what they've released in recent years, please enlighten us (namely, me) of those blends that fail to meet the Feb. 2007 requirement.
Anyone make a list of C&D yet? Last night I bought a sleeve of Sam's Blend just in case.
I meant to get to C&D a month or two ago and put down their new blends, but, alas, I simply haven't had time. Maybe soon.

One more thing, Sam's Blend is safe. Been around since at least 2005.

ImageImage