Gawith Hoggarth Scotch Flake

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Gawith Hoggarth Scotch Flake

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Anyone here ever try Gawith Hoggarth Scotch Flake?

I read some good things and I ordered bulk 4 ounces of this because McConnell Scottish Flake is not at any of the distributors.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Gawith Hoggarth Scotch Flake

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:00 pm

Oh yeah, you'll like it. Really, really sweet. Long time since I've had any. Hope you enjoy it.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:07 pm

hugodrax wrote:Oh yeah, you'll like it. Really, really sweet. Long time since I've had any. Hope you enjoy it.
And some of the baked bread flavor, too, I have read some say. Like that bread taste
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:13 pm

Goose, that one is more dangerous than hurricane Matthew. The last time I swore I would never touch it again. It has (or maybe had) a credible milk chocolate topping and for bystanders, most esp. of the female variety, it's a an aphrodisiac. From 14 to almost 50 yo they will detect it. They will follow you anywhere... and needless to say their husbands and fathers will not be far behind. And they are not amused. Many will see you as dressed in clown getup.
I suggest you try it as far out in the desert as you can. Make sure you're downwind of any settlement. Beware.
Last edited by Rusty on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Goose55 wrote:
hugodrax wrote:Oh yeah, you'll like it. Really, really sweet. Long time since I've had any. Hope you enjoy it.
And some of the baked bread flavor, too, I have read some say. Like that bread taste
Yes, sir. Has a real texture to it. It's not much like McConnels--truly a different style, but very worthy.

You're finding some great tobaccos. I wonder how similar our tastes are. I'm going to have to try this John Bull stuff you've recommended.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:39 pm

Oh yeah, I may have some of this squirreled away, I'll have to look as a bowl of this sounds real good about now.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:40 pm

Rusty wrote:Goose, that one is more dangerous than hurricane Matthew. The last time I swore I would never touch it again. It has (or maybe had) a credible milk chocolate topping and for bystanders, most esp. of the female variety, it's a an aphrodisiac. From 14 to almost 50 yo they will detect it. They will follow you anywhere... and needless to say their husbands and fathers will not be far behind. And they are not amused. Many will see you as dressed in clown getup.
I suggest you try it as far out in the desert as you can. Make sure you're downwind of any settlement. Beware.
Ha!

Too bad there aren't very many suitable single females here.

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:50 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Rusty wrote:Goose, that one is more dangerous than hurricane Matthew. The last time I swore I would never touch it again. It has (or maybe had) a credible milk chocolate topping and for bystanders, most esp. of the female variety, it's a an aphrodisiac. From 14 to almost 50 yo they will detect it. They will follow you anywhere... and needless to say their husbands and fathers will not be far behind. And they are not amused. Many will see you as dressed in clown getup.
Ha!

Too bad there aren't very many suitable single females here.
It's not the single females that are the problem. Who cares if they follow you? It's the underage and the married ones, esp. the recently married, that will get you killed. You'd be surprised how many are one or the other.

The last time I smoked it was 12 years ago. So maybe it has changed. It was really sweet and noticeably topped. Very nice but trouble.
There are lots more that are truly great from that company.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:00 am

Chicks dig it?

Then I must obtain some Gawith Hoggarth Scotch Flake soon.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:57 am

I can't find my Scotch flake, Bright CR flake, Brown flake and Ennerdale flake storage cooler.
It might be off property.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:10 pm

DepartedLight wrote:Chicks dig it?

Then I must obtain some Gawith Hoggarth Scotch Flake soon.
This is encouraging. What happened?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:36 pm

coco wrote:Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Scotch Flake

eau de old lady
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:Hang on.

The problem is the Judge (no, I won't append Rusty to that); he sent some floral horror off to Coco and called it Scotch flake. Poor coco was expecting an aphrodisiac chocolate delight and what a shock... FLORAL! He whined at me that the Judge is attempting to end summer, subvert his normal sunny disposition, irritate his wife, etc. Coco can't smoke it. Tragedy.

I relied to my detriment on expert opinion that the aroma to top all aromas was produced from the smoking of Gawith & Hoggarth's Scotch Flake. Acting upon said advice, I purchased a portion of the same. I shared with the brethren, including the chocolate nomenclatured goat hater, albeit with the warning, that while I had searched for chocolate among the fragrances within G&HSF, the search had revealed nothing but the fragrance of large, aged, doting, protestant ladies.
To your point; the reviews on TR for Scotch Flake stop mentioning chocolate after 2012 (I had finished mine years before that). Which is surprising if the recipe is the same. This sort of observation is one of the reasons that TR is actually useful because we can actually detect blend change. I went and looked after Coco was using your name as curse word. One reason for change might be that it was dangerous to pipe smokers health because pipe smokers were being killed for being pied pipers leading other men's wives and daughters astray so effective was the blend. Good old protestant old lady scent will keep things right. You have only yourselves to blame. This is clearly the scourge of Christians. One can just imagine the terrible threats sent to GH & Co by the half dozen Christians still inhabiting Scotland.

The chocolate was obvious to the nose before as would be the protestant old lady scent. You discarded what your nose was telling you, didn't you? Of course there is some possibility that GH hid the product under some other label. That would be interesting. Somebody should tell the retailers who still describe it as chocolate topped.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Rusty
In Memoriam

Post by Rusty » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:59 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:
JudgeRusty wrote:
Rusty wrote:Hang on.

The problem is the Judge (no, I won't append Rusty to that); he sent some floral horror off to Coco and called it Scotch flake. Poor coco was expecting an aphrodisiac chocolate delight and what a shock... FLORAL! He whined at me that the Judge is attempting to end summer, subvert his normal sunny disposition, irritate his wife, etc. Coco can't smoke it. Tragedy.

I relied to my detriment on expert opinion that the aroma to top all aromas was produced from the smoking of Gawith & Hoggarth's Scotch Flake. Acting upon said advice, I purchased a portion of the same. I shared with the brethren, including the chocolate nomenclatured goat hater, albeit with the warning, that while I had searched for chocolate among the fragrances within G&HSF, the search had revealed nothing but the fragrance of large, aged, doting, protestant ladies.
To your point; the reviews on TR for Scotch Flake stop mentioning chocolate after 2012 (I had finished mine years before that). Which is surprising if the recipe is the same. This sort of observation is one of the reasons that TR is actually useful because we can actually detect blend change. I went and looked after Coco was using your name as curse word. One reason for change might be that it was dangerous to pipe smokers health because pipe smokers were being killed for being pied pipers leading other men's wives and daughters astray so effective was the blend. Good old protestant old lady scent will keep things right. You have only yourselves to blame. This is clearly the scourge of Christians. One can just imagine the terrible threats sent to GH & Co by the half dozen Christians still inhabiting Scotland.

The chocolate was obvious to the nose before as would be the protestant old lady scent. You discarded what your nose was telling you, didn't you? Of course there is some possibility that GH hid the product under some other label. That would be interesting. Somebody should tell the retailers who still describe it as chocolate topped.
Uh oh. The Alabamans have shown up to note that it ain't as Rusty said, and again. Still... maybe church casseroles will follow you everywhere. How bad can that be? Look at it this way... it's less dangerous.

But wait... hold on ... the nefarious Danes still insist that it has a chocolate & vanilla topping... good enough for me.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-toba ... e-scented/

"Medium stoved virginia with a hint of chocolate and vanilla."

I don't remember it being stoved to tell you the truth. There is something wrong with the Alabama contingent. :dance:
I'm wondering if this means lil' olde church ladies in Alabama smell like milk chocolate.. chocolate casserole. Oooooh. :dancingpie:
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:06 pm

I like it a great deal. It was my only smoke today, with evening happy hour, so I think I had a good chance to discover it's goodness.

I don't find that is is "really, really sweet." It is in my taste, semi-sweet, and with fullness of flavor. Some say it has a slight bakers chocolate aroma and flavor, and I do get this, too.

It's a lovely tobacco and I will be getting some more to stuff some 1/2 pint jars with. Especially if we can't get any more K&K McConnell Scottish Flake.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 pm

Coco and I had a lot of fun with our floral tobacco experiences with Rusty.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:51 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:34 pm
Coco and I had a lot of fun with our floral tobacco experiences with Rusty.
Indeed
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:09 am

This was a good thread. And nice to see Rusty's humorous posts.

After having gotten several bulk amounts of SF, I got a 500 gram box of it from Smoking PIpes that had some Lakeland essense on it. I complained to SPs about this to no avail. There is no scented and unscented versions of Scotch Flake, as there is with GH Brown Flake. I do not know if I will be getting any more after this experience.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:09 am

After having gotten several bulk amounts of SF, I got a 500 gram box of it from Smoking PIpes that had some Lakeland essense on it. I complained to SPs about this to no avail. There is no scented and unscented versions of Scotch Flake, as there is with GH Brown Flake. I do not know if I will be getting any more after this experience.
Smoking Pipes didn't take your complaint seriously? Or just explained that that's the crapshoot inherent in Gawith tobaccos--cross contamination just happens?

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:55 am

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 am
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:09 am

Smoking Pipes didn't take your complaint seriously? Or just explained that that's the crapshoot inherent in Gawith tobaccos--cross contamination just happens?
What you said. Cross contamination. But the Scotch Flake was sealed in a box. I've never gotten--so far--any 500 gram boxes of Brown Flake (unscented) that was scented.