To the Faithful Departed

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

To the Faithful Departed

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 03, 2017 7:23 pm

There's likely been a thread like this before, all the same, though.

Of all the tobacco blends that were once commercially available but are no longer, which do you mourn for most? What is that now vanished vanguard of smoking pleasure that they either will not bring back or, for whatever reason, defies all attempts to recreate it?

My initial vote is for Edgeworth Sliced. I've only been smoking for the past twenty years or so and so I know that I missed out on a great deal. I've never, for example, even been within sniffing distance of the original Balkan Sobranie or Dunhill Baby's Bottom. I somehow doubt I'd have liked either all that much, though.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Virginian no. 10. Sugar Barrel. Troost Slices. Dunhill Light Flake (Murray's). Latakia-free Campanile.

Damn and Blast.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Wed May 03, 2017 7:55 pm

Cesare Borgia by Amphora.

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed May 03, 2017 8:09 pm

I will say Three Nuns...I have smoked the version prior to the latest version and it was very good. The new version is a nice blend, but it is not the Three Nuns of yesterday...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard

Post by GaryInVA » Wed May 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Edgeworth Sliced, old Three Nuns, and Kingfisher.
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Edgeworth and Troost Slices, both. I used to buy Troost at the mall Tinderbox. And I bought the last pouch of Edgeworth (ready rubbed, not slices), I think, in Houston. I shopped and called all around, and found two pouches at the now-closed Richmond Ave Cigar and Pipe.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:14 pm
Edgeworth and Troost Slices, both. I used to buy Troost at the mall Tinderbox. And I bought the last pouch of Edgeworth (ready rubbed, not slices), I think, in Houston. I shopped and called all around, and found two pouches at the now-closed Richmond Ave Cigar and Pipe.
Almost said RR, but I think Lanes RR is exact. I can still get it. Troost Slices was soo good.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed May 03, 2017 8:18 pm

UncleBob wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 7:55 pm
Cesare Borgia by Amphora.

Had I ever known, I'd have bought pounds. I have a soft spot for condottieri and I like sweet baccy.

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Wed May 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Years and years ago I acquired a very large amount of the original Capstan Navy Flake off of eBay. Including the Blue, yellow and the other one.

This tobacco was a gift from God. Nothing compares.

I have a bit left for a special occasion.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed May 03, 2017 9:17 pm

C&D Murphy's Mistake was reportedly a one off blend. I have maybe 1/4 of a small tin, and it's pretty dry too. Wish i could find more.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Thu May 04, 2017 5:19 am

I'm almost at the bottom of my last tin of Frog Morton Across the Pond. While this one is not long gone, Syrian latakia shall be surely be missed a decade from now.

Nonetheless, I am thankful that we have so many other good blends available to us.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu May 04, 2017 7:14 am

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 9:17 pm
C&D Murphy's Mistake was reportedly a one off blend. I have maybe 1/4 of a small tin, and it's pretty dry too. Wish i could find more.
That is tasty. I think I have one last tin somewhere.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 am

DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 am
I have heard wonderus things...but never had the opportunity to partake.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Thu May 04, 2017 8:12 am

Jocose wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:38 pm
Years and years ago I acquired a very large amount of the original Capstan Navy Flake off of eBay. Including the Blue, yellow and the other one.

I thought you were an aficionado of Capstan Full (the brown one)?
The Yellow one (mild) had a bizarre orange shade to the tobacco, at least as produced by BAT, and STG later.
I liked Capstan medium but if St. Bruno flake was available I preferred that.

Some of the ones others have mentioned are in my cellar so they're not missing yet for me. I'd love to see Sobranie Virginian #10 again but there are modern replacements. This is happily true in a number of cases. Troost Slices is gone and that would be a fun revisit. STG made a 100g tin of something labeled that, at least into the early 2000's, but it was much more a Danish Virginia flake, which Troost slices never was. I don't know if they still make it. So the late incarcerations of many of these iconic darlings weren't the same thing as we enjoyed at all. I think this is likely not unique to our time. So in many cases we lament the loss of the version we knew. But the product underwent significant changes all along. This was esp. true of the Imperial flakes produced by Imperial, BAT, STG, and now Mac Baren. The different versions were not just the result of manufacturing outsourcing either. Under Imperial a lot of change occurred in the early 80's with UK factory modernization and closures. For example, they abandoned (or lost) the equipment to produce Three Nuns in coin form with the closure of the Glasgow factory. That was the beginning of the ribbon cut pouch version. However, the Imperial versions were domestic UK products. It was the BAT (and then STG and finally Mac Baren) export versions that everyone else saw, and from from the early 90's on, with outsourcing to Assens, they changed as well. This also struck the two iconic mixtures out of Sobranie. By the early 90's they were not the same product that they had been in the 70's and perhaps the early 80's. I gave up on those two in the late 80's. So it's not a product but a specific version of the product that existed for a time that we actually miss.

Overall I think we have more today that compensates for the losses and there certainly are replacements (under different names) for some of the old darlings. For example, anyone that misses Edgeworth Sliced should try the Wessex Burley Slice and or the Solani Burley flake. Lane apparently brought back the Ready Rub as Lane Ready Rub. We have lots of great original blends that were late developments and unique to today. We never saw anything like the proliferation of Virginia/Perique products that we have now. We have it good and certainly better than at any time since maybe the 50's.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm

HOW Cappuccino - the best tinned aro ever. It smelled like chocolate chip cookies baking. Wish I could find out who has the recipe.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

TNLawPiper
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards
BrotherOfTheBriar YouHeartlessBastards

Post by TNLawPiper » Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Dunhill Light Flake. The renamed iteration isn't the same.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Thu May 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Rusty wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 8:12 am
Jocose wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 8:38 pm

I thought you were an aficionado of Capstan Full (the brown one)?
The Yellow one (mild) had a bizarre orange shade to the tobacco, at least as produced by BAT, and STG later.
I liked Capstan medium but if St. Bruno flake was available I preferred that.

Some of the ones others have mentioned are in my cellar so they're not missing yet for me. I'd love to see Sobranie Virginian #10 again but there are modern replacements. This is happily true in a number of cases. Troost Slices is gone and that would be a fun revisit. STG made a 100g tin of something labeled that, at least into the early 2000's, but it was much more a Danish Virginia flake, which Troost slices never was. I don't know if they still make it. So the late incarcerations of many of these iconic darlings weren't the same thing as we enjoyed at all. I think this is likely not unique to our time. So in many cases we lament the loss of the version we knew. But the product underwent significant changes all along. This was esp. true of the Imperial flakes produced by Imperial, BAT, STG, and now Mac Baren. The different versions were not just the result of manufacturing outsourcing either. Under Imperial a lot of change occurred in the early 80's with UK factory modernization and closures. For example, they abandoned (or lost) the equipment to produce Three Nuns in coin form with the closure of the Glasgow factory. That was the beginning of the ribbon cut pouch version. However, the Imperial versions were domestic UK products. It was the BAT (and then STG and finally Mac Baren) export versions that everyone else saw, and from from the early 90's on, with outsourcing to Assens, they changed as well. This also struck the two iconic mixtures out of Sobranie. By the early 90's they were not the same product that they had been in the 70's and perhaps the early 80's. I gave up on those two in the late 80's. So it's not a product but a specific version of the product that existed for a time that we actually miss.

Overall I think we have more today that compensates for the losses and there certainly are replacements (under different names) for some of the old darlings. For example, anyone that misses Edgeworth Sliced should try the Wessex Burley Slice and or the Solani Burley flake. Lane apparently brought back the Ready Rub as Lane Ready Rub. We have lots of great original blends that were late developments and unique to today. We never saw anything like the proliferation of Virginia/Perique products that we have now. We have it good and certainly better than at any time since maybe the 50's.
Last edited by hugodrax on Fri May 05, 2017 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Thu May 04, 2017 11:31 pm

TNLawPiper wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 11:15 pm
Dunhill Light Flake. The renamed iteration isn't the same.
The same is true of Erinmore, so I am given to understand.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Fri May 05, 2017 6:52 am

Frog Morton Across the Pond
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG