To the Faithful Departed

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14541
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by hugodrax » Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 am

Who had to mention Erinmore. Oh, Erinmore. They put a skirt on you, you poor thing.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24938
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by Rusty » Fri May 05, 2017 9:34 am

hugodrax wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 am
Who had to mention Erinmore. Oh, Erinmore. They put a skirt on you, you poor thing.
Erinmore always struck me as female, and a tart to boot.

Farewell and adieu to you Irish Lady...
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.


~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Image

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by A_Morley » Fri May 05, 2017 4:39 pm

I also liked the original Field & Stream. That's gone and the clones are nowhere close to it.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7652
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by sweetandsour » Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 4:39 pm
I also liked the original Field & Stream. That's gone and the clones are nowhere close to it.
With this, I do agree. I've been smoking some of the Match F&S in the past few weeks, and it's just not anywhere close to what I remember.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by A_Morley » Sat May 20, 2017 12:15 am

I'm still slightly annoyed that Greenbriar ceased to be before I could smoke of it. I'm sure it was disgusting, but I like torturing myself with weird things. I imagine that it somehow duplicates the experience other people have in dealing with me.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by A_Morley » Sat May 20, 2017 12:16 am

Another long gone and entirely forgotten drugstore tobacco was Four Seasons. Now that one wasn't at all bad, though I have no idea what cherry birch was supposed to be.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
Joshoowah
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Hermeneutic of suspicion
Posts: 4481
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Nairobi, Kenya; formerly Wilmore, KY; Formerly Athens, AL
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by Joshoowah » Sat May 20, 2017 11:47 pm

There are quite a few for me. I still mourn the loss of GLP's Mephisto. I have two tins left, having just popped one them not long ago. It will be a sad day once I open that last tin, but I suspect I won't open it until my wife and I have been married for 10 years. McClelland's Syrian Star and 3 Oaks Syrian are others I'll likely mourn once I run out. Syrian Star is divine. It is, definitely, one of my favorite blends. Yenidje Highlander is another.
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose?" Philippians 1:21-22

ImageImage

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20857
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by Thunktank » Sun May 21, 2017 10:20 pm

I got a Pipes and Cigars catalog last week, I haven't kept up with tobacco blends that have been discontinued or not. But I did notice some blends that I thought were gone where still being sold, tobaccos like Carter Hall and Prince Albert. I have resolved to smoke my pipe at least three times this week.

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by dennisthemenace » Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Craven "A". I had two tins of the original graciously given to me by a customer when I worked for Dunhill's NYC store in the early '70s. I put them away in my desk drawer at home in Indiana awaiting the 100th anniversary of the publication of My Lady Nicotineby Jas. M. Barrie to open them. I lived in L.A, for a year & left the two tins in my desk. My brother found them & smoked them both. He told me when I moved back to Indiana that it was the lousiest tobacco he ever smoked. It still pains me to think of this.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
GaryInVA
Cheesecake Wizard
Cheesecake Wizard
Posts: 3273
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: House in VA, living and working in Los Alamos, NM

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by GaryInVA » Tue May 23, 2017 7:54 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 pm
Craven "A". I had two tins of the original graciously given to me by a customer when I worked for Dunhill's NYC store in the early '70s. I put them away in my desk drawer at home in Indiana awaiting the 100th anniversary of the publication of My Lady Nicotineby Jas. M. Barrie to open them. I lived in L.A, for a year & left the two tins in my desk. My brother found them & smoked them both. He told me when I moved back to Indiana that it was the lousiest tobacco he ever smoked. It still pains me to think of this.
If it was so bad, why did he smoke both? :lol:
"I am not sure what Rusty said or meant but I am pretty sure I want to choke him unconscious" rev

Official London Fatberg Finder

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by A_Morley » Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 am

GaryInVA wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:54 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 8:44 pm
Craven "A". I had two tins of the original graciously given to me by a customer when I worked for Dunhill's NYC store in the early '70s. I put them away in my desk drawer at home in Indiana awaiting the 100th anniversary of the publication of My Lady Nicotineby Jas. M. Barrie to open them. I lived in L.A, for a year & left the two tins in my desk. My brother found them & smoked them both. He told me when I moved back to Indiana that it was the lousiest tobacco he ever smoked. It still pains me to think of this.
If it was so bad, why did he smoke both? :lol:
Original tins of Craven A would be dear indeed. I'd especially like to compare them against McClelland's Arcadia.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by dennisthemenace » Tue May 23, 2017 3:39 pm

He smoked both because he's a cheap jerk and they were free.

Arcadia to me is nothing like I remember of Craven A. It had the most interesting lemon colored Virginia that I've ever seen. Never smoked another tobacco quite like it. The nice old gentleman who gave me the tins wrote up that visit to Dunhill's in The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris. He was seeing if we could match it or not. We couldn't.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by A_Morley » Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 3:39 pm
He smoked both because he's a cheap jerk and they were free.

Arcadia to me is nothing like I remember of Craven A. It had the most interesting lemon colored Virginia that I've ever seen. Never smoked another tobacco quite like it. The nice old gentleman who gave me the tins wrote up that visit to Dunhill's in The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris. He was seeing if we could match it or not. We couldn't.
Correct me if I'm wrong here. J. M. Barrie smoked the Craven mixture, fictionalized it in My Lady Nicotine, said that he was inspired by Craven by Carreras who subsequently added the letter A to the Craven name as a tribute to the fictional Arcadia Mixture.

McClelland acquired some vintage tins of Craven A, dissected and deconstructed it and released the blend they reconstructed as the 221B Arcadia.

You say, though, that they missed the mark? That's a shame. Is it one of those blends that simply cannot be recreated on account of the fact that the sort of tobaccos that comprised it cannot be had anymore?
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed May 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Arcadia is a good mixture; but not IMO as good as the old Craven A. To me they seem quite different. Of course I haven't smoked Craven A in over 40 years, so I could be wrong.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14541
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by hugodrax » Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Fascinated someone has first hand experience of Craven A.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Posts: 7652
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Bayou Self
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by sweetandsour » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 pm

dennisthemenace wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 4:38 pm
Arcadia is a good mixture; but not IMO as good as the old Craven A. To me they seem quite different. Of course I haven't smoked Craven A in over 40 years, so I could be wrong.
Nothing is as good now as it was in the past. I'm discovering this more and more daily. Regardless, I very recently placed an order for 3 tins of 221B, in fact.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4549
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by dennisthemenace » Fri May 26, 2017 8:15 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm
Fascinated someone has first hand experience of Craven A.
Just have to be old! Smoked a bowl of Arcadia today again. The look, smell, and taste were to me not like the Craven A that I smoked so long ago. The really lemony yellow leaf in the original was apparently unavailable in this country even back in the early '70s. I don't remember any other mixture with anything comparable.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14541
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by hugodrax » Sat May 27, 2017 9:32 am

dennisthemenace wrote:
Fri May 26, 2017 8:15 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:27 pm
Fascinated someone has first hand experience of Craven A.
Just have to be old! Smoked a bowl of Arcadia today again. The look, smell, and taste were to me not like the Craven A that I smoked so long ago. The really lemony yellow leaf in the original was apparently unavailable in this country even back in the early '70s. I don't remember any other mixture with anything comparable.


Old is a relative term. Why, I picked up the pipe twenty years ago or thereabouts and I'm just a kid. I don't know why, but I've always thought of Craven as being something lost in the mists of time and it obviously isn't.

I'd love to know what you thought of it. I've always been very curious.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Posts: 24938
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Beelzebub's Rare Tobacco Emporium

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by Rusty » Sat May 27, 2017 3:07 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:58 am
dennisthemenace wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 3:39 pm
He smoked both because he's a cheap jerk and they were free.

Arcadia to me is nothing like I remember of Craven A. It had the most interesting lemon colored Virginia that I've ever seen. Never smoked another tobacco quite like it. The nice old gentleman who gave me the tins wrote up that visit to Dunhill's in The Pipe Smoker's Ephemeris. He was seeing if we could match it or not. We couldn't.
Correct me if I'm wrong here. J. M. Barrie smoked the Craven mixture, fictionalized it in My Lady Nicotine, said that he was inspired by Craven by Carreras who subsequently added the letter A to the Craven name as a tribute to the fictional Arcadia Mixture.

McClelland acquired some vintage tins of Craven A, dissected and deconstructed it and released the blend they reconstructed as the 221B Arcadia.

You say, though, that they missed the mark? That's a shame. Is it one of those blends that simply cannot be recreated on account of the fact that the sort of tobaccos that comprised it cannot be had anymore?
Craven A and Craven Mixture (which long pre-dated Craven A) were different products. Craven Mixture had been quite successful and the brand name Craven was proliferating under Carreras into a variety of smoking products. Reusing a winning brand is nothing new. Craven was Carreras/Rothman's premiere brand much as Capstan was Wills'/Imperial's brand. Arcadia, as in Arcadia Works, was proliferating as Carreras' preferred factory name. But the mixture actually originates back in 1860's. Craven A was new on the scene in the post WW1 timeframe. It was usually in the form of fine cut bright Virginia, because it was addressed to cigarette smokers. Most of the commonwealth countries have a tradition of Virginia tobaccos. But there were other products under the Craven brand including a dark Virginia and likely an Aromatic blend and of course the old Mixture as well. They may have produced a Navy flake version in Craven A but I never saw it.

McClelland's Arcadia was patterned after Craven Mixture, and not Craven A, nor any of the other Craven products. McClelland collected a number of tins of Craven mixture and reverse engineered them, ie took them apart so that they could identify the constituents and the proportions. BTW Craven A is still sold in Canada, but not the mixture nor any of the others. It's made by RBH (Rothman's, Benson & Hedges) which is one of the big three tobacco companies in Canada. RBH is the one that acquired Edgeworth products from Larus Bros. and later sold it to Lane, which was then acquired by Rothman-Carreras. Today RBH is a PMI subsidiary. Craven Mixture was discontinued by Rothman's Intl back in approx. 1996, well before their merger with BAT. And you're right that McClelland's Arcadia is quite different than Craven Mixture.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.


~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Image

User avatar
Archer
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kemmerer, Wyoming
Contact:

Re: To the Faithful Departed

Post by Archer » Sat May 27, 2017 10:47 pm

In my memory of tobacco's of yesteryear, middle earth blend (aka King Arthur blend) was a tasty smoke to me. It has been said that it was just Lanes RHQ-3 which was gone for a while too but I think The pipe room's blender did something more with it. We'll see though I just ordered some RHQ-3 to stroll down memory Lane (get it?) :!: I haven't liked aromatics for a while now I hope it'll be a good stroll

Post Reply