Samuel Gawith Mayor's Chocolate Flake

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Samuel Gawith Mayor's Chocolate Flake

Post by plainview » Fri May 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Being a light aromatic with a mix of Burley, Latakia, Virginia, how well does a box of Samuel Gawith Mayor's Chocolate Flake age? What do years tucked away in a mason jar do to this blend?

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu

Re: Samuel Gawith Mayor's Chocolate Flake

Post by Jocose » Fri May 12, 2017 3:13 pm

From first hand experience of cellaring heavily scented Lakeland blends, the scent will diminish quickly and it will become somewhat muted after a year or likely less than that. But if you like the blend, store it up.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

I'm what some CPS'ers have called "Worse than advertised"

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri May 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Mine developed mold. SG tobaccos have very little preservative on them so they're a risky cellar investment.

GH Bob's Chocolate does ok and is still pretty good with a decade of age. I'm of the opinion that if the tobacco is somewhat like it was new after many years in the cellar then that's a winner. Many tobaccos don't tolerate 5 - 10 years age very well and they lose flavour. The other thing that can happen is they lose the toppings over 3-5 years and a bland tobacco remains. This depends upon the topping constituents and we just don\t know until we try it. Most of the topped GH flakes lose toppings over a surprisingly short time.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Fri May 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Rusty wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 4:12 pm
Mine developed mold. SG tobaccos have very little preservative on them so they're a risky cellar investment.

GH Bob's Chocolate does ok and is still pretty good with a decade of age. I'm of the opinion that if the tobacco is somewhat like it was new after many years in the cellar then that's a winner. Many tobaccos don't tolerate 5 - 10 years age very well and they lose flavour. The other thing that can happen is they lose the toppings over 3-5 years and a bland tobacco remains. This depends upon the topping constituents and we just don\t know until we try it. Most of the topped GH flakes lose toppings over a surprisingly short time.
Would you say the same holds true for tinned SG?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri May 12, 2017 6:40 pm

plainview wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:14 pm
Rusty wrote:

Would you say the same holds true for tinned SG?
My SG tins didn't go moldy. There weren't many though.
It's usually the bulk that goes.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri May 12, 2017 8:35 pm

I don't know.

Hope this helps.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sat May 13, 2017 12:03 am

I'm cellaring both bulk and tins.
My first 250g box arrived moldy, and Smoking Pipes replaced it with another box that is now jarred.
I'll be opening tins at intervals once they get a few more months on them.

I should be able to report about mold in the jars and tins if and when it appears.
Stay tuned . . . For a few years.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Rusty wrote:

Care to share the names of some of your winners?

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:19 pm

plainview wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:10 pm
Rusty wrote:

DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 am

plainview wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Old Murray's Erinmore flake (no longer made since 2005),
Edgeworth Sliced (no longer made since 2005),
Older St. Bruno Flake (I haven't had the Mac Baren product)
Peterson University Flake and Irish Flake (these are made by K&K under the Rattray label today with different names),
Most of the C&D Burley Mixtures but certainly OJK, Haunted Bookshop
Many of the McClelland Virginias, including those in the Ashton line and Collectors series
Wessex Virginias (Brigade series and some others eg Gold Brick & Burley Slice)
Some of the Dan Tobacco Virginias (DTM) incl. those branded Former eg Straight Grain flake & Cross Grain flake
Germain's Brown Flake
GH Bob's Choc. flake

Not all of these are obviously topped. These are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head and I still have some at over a decade old and they're recognizable by smoking experience (others are completely unrecognizable and I check labels to see what it used to be). I have none of these at much younger ages so I can't vouch for their descendants. LOL! None of this claims there aren't others that weather age comparably. This is just the list that I have.

IMO pipe tobacco products do not improve with age. They do change with age and whether we like the result of long age is largely a matter of taste, that can vary with the product and of course our experience and expectations, but they were all at their best in the first year after they were made, I think. So pipe tobacco products that still provide a smoking experience quite similar to off the shelf 1st year flavour (to be readily recognizable) at a decade or more are unusual. The most usual affliction from longer age (ie at about a decade or more) is a noticeable loss of flavour in the tobacco itself and of course loss of toppings. Most of the beneficial changes have occurred in the first year after manufacturing and thereafter there is a long slide to something less.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:28 am
plainview wrote:
Rusty wrote:

Old Murray's Erinmore flake (no longer made since 2005),
Edgeworth Sliced (no longer made since 2005),
Older St. Bruno Flake (I haven't had the Mac Baren product)
Peterson University Flake and Irish Flake (these are made by K&K under the Rattray label today with different names),
Most of the C&D Burley Mixtures but certainly OJK, Haunted Bookshop
Many of the McClelland Virginias, including those in the Ashton line and Collectors series
Wessex Virginias (Brigade series and some others eg Gold Brick & Burley Slice)
Some of the Dan Tobacco Virginias (DTM) incl. those branded Former eg Straight Grain flake & Cross Grain flake
Germain's Brown Flake
GH Bob's Choc. flake

Not all of these are obviously topped. These are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head and I still have some at over a decade old and they're recognizable by smoking experience (others are completely unrecognizable and I check labels to see what it used to be). I have none of these at much younger ages so I can't vouch for their descendants. LOL! None of this claims there aren't others that weather age comparably. This is just the list that I have.

IMO pipe tobacco products do not improve with age. They do change with age and whether we like the result of long age is largely a matter of taste, that can vary with the product and of course our experience and expectations, but they were all at their best in the first year after they were made, I think. So pipe tobacco products that still provide a smoking experience quite similar to off the shelf 1st year flavour (to be readily recognizable) at a decade or more are unusual. The most usual affliction from longer age (ie at about a decade or more) is a noticeable loss of flavour in the tobacco itself and of course loss of toppings. Most of the beneficial changes have occurred in the first year after manufacturing and thereafter there is a long slide to something less.
This is a fine list, thanks. It'd be interesting to see just what happens over the years to the homages and matches of the pipe tobaccos mentioned above, such as Lane Ready Rubbed.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am

plainview wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am
It'd be interesting to see just what happens over the years to the homages and matches of the pipe tobaccos mentioned above, such as Lane Ready Rubbed.
Lane Ready Rubbed should be the same as Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. Lane was the last owner who made ERR before it was discontinued back in 2008 or so and it has a heritage that goes back to the Larus Bros.. Somebody sold the Edgeworth TM but the tobacco recipe should be the real one. This is a case where the enamel chipped off but the truth should remain. LOL! Many others under their old brands have changed but the enamel (TM) is intact. Homages and match blends are usually different and have no heritage in common with the old blends that they're matching.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:43 am
plainview wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 am
It'd be interesting to see just what happens over the years to the homages and matches of the pipe tobaccos mentioned above, such as Lane Ready Rubbed.
Lane Ready Rubbed should be the same as Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. Lane was the last owner who made ERR before it was discontinued back in 2008 or so and it has a heritage that goes back to the Larus Bros.. Somebody sold the Edgeworth TM but the tobacco recipe should be the real one. This is a case where the enamel chipped off but the truth should remain. LOL! Many others under their old brands have changed but the enamel (TM) is intact. Homages and match blends are usually different and have no heritage in common with the old blends that they're matching.
Good points, all.