Let's Talk About American Blends

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far

Let's Talk About American Blends

Post by Fainn » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:34 am

I ordered an ounce of Walnut Match from P & C. Its listed on their site as an English blend, but listed on TobaccoReviews as an American blend. So, what makes an American blend?
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Re: Let's Talk About American Blends

Post by Del » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:47 am

It's a 'Murkan Blend if it's GREAT.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:50 am

You can never go wrong with Prince Albert. It's like comfort food. Having a bowl full right now, actually.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:25 am

Fainn wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:34 am
So, what makes an American blend?
Burley as the base tobacco for the Latakia mixture instead of Virginia.
If you look at virtually all English/Scottish style Latakia mixtures they're comprised of Virginia, Latakia, and Orientals. Even their Cavendish, when it is present, is derived from Virginia. Burley's are used by the Brits to carry toppings, usually in a different blend style altogether. So it's rare to find white Burley in an English style Latakia mixture. If white Burley or Maryland is present at all it is usually in small amounts that improves the burn (some Orientals tend to inhibit burn ie the bowl goes out a lot). Whereas traditional American Latakia mixtures use white Burley as a base and Virginia is more a condiment tobacco. American Cavendish is almost never derived from Virginia, instead it comes from Burley or Kentucky fire cured. The rest are the same though the proportions may vary compared to English/Scottish style Latakia mixtures.

This goes beyond Latakia mixtures too. If you look at the most common cigarettes in Britain, Canada, Australia, etc (Commonwealth countries) they're straight Virginias. Whereas American cigarettes are usually a mixture of Burley, Virginia, and sometimes Oriental. Why is the Burley usually found in a mixture? White Burley by itself has lower flavour and more body than Virginia. It tends to have a very subdued nutty-oatmeal flavour and it takes a lot of Burley in a mixture to be noticed. So the other condiment constituents round out the mixture with more interesting flavour.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:47 am
What in God's Holy Name are you blathering about now, you melon-headed, socially inept windbag? What does that even mean? How was that even funny? Why are you allowed to own and use a computer or mobile device of any kind?

It's an American blend if the base leaf is Burley. Walnut, for example, is not only blended in America, but it also contains primarily Burley tobaccos with only a slight proportion of other things. Even if it does contain Turkish and Latakia, the primary component is still Burley, thus it is an American blend. It has nothing to do with the value judgement or perceived greatness of the blend. That's just stupid. Are you going to say that the only good tobacco is blended in America? I'm sure that there are a number of people who smoke and enjoy European blended tobacco who would take some issue with that, I can tell you.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 pm

Del wrote:
I am still in the 4th of July mode and this made me smile!
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 pm
Del wrote:
Oh, great. Now he's going to sight this as an example of why he should be allowed to shoot his mouth off whenever he's feeling particularly lame. I can just hear Del now:

But Bloodhound said I was funny.

And you know what, I bet that your mom used to tell you that you were cool. If you truly believe in the legitimacy or democracy, you'll have to take the views of more than a single person into account.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Burley tobacco is as American as they come. As has been said, an American Blend, also known as an American English, is burley based. I don't know why, but they just don't work for me. I've recently begun smoking latakia again after at least a ten year hiatus and the secret ingredient necessary for my enjoyment seems to be brown Virginia Cavendish.

I like burley but it doesn't work for me with the tarry latakia. I like American burley blends like Pegasus, though.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:52 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Del wrote:
Oh, great. Now he's going to sight this as an example of why he should be allowed to shoot his mouth off whenever he's feeling particularly lame. I can just hear Del now:

And you know what, I bet that your mom used to tell you that you were cool. If you truly believe in the legitimacy or democracy, you'll have to take the views of more than a single person into account.
A_Morley
You are in fine form today, I am glad to see it
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:23 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:26 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Del wrote:

Actually, my mother used to belittle me constantly. Very abusive, physically and emotionally.

You are no match for her.

I'm sorry that Bloodhound chuckled at my silly post. Don't let it peck out your liver.
Last edited by Del on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by Cleon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:35 pm

I concur with the previous posts. Burley is the foundation for American blends. I'd have to say that sweet additives would be a secondary characteristic since Burley doesn't have much sugar and overt taste on its own.

BTW, a friend's family has a business painting tobacco barns in Kentucky. The barns are all black from top to bottom. They use a special black, oil paint. These are huge barns on farms that grow acres and acres of Burley for the big tobacco companies. The big corporations are looking for consistency so they contract with these same large farms year in and year out. They don't want to source from many small farms. They'd rather source form fewer large farms. My friend showed me one farm that has been in the family since the 1830s, I believe.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

Del

Post by Del » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 pm

In my opinion, the defining characteristic of an American Burley blend is an excess of propylene glycol.

Fainn

Post by Fainn » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 pm

So far, my favorite blend is Aperitif. So I've been on the look out for English blends with cavendish. Now I guess I need to look for blends where VAs are used as a base. I have certainly learned a lot from this thread.
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Fainn wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 pm
So far, my favorite blend is Aperitif. So I've been on the look out for English blends with cavendish. Now I guess I need to look for blends where VAs are used as a base. I have certainly learned a lot from this thread.
Well, Aperitif is one of them (Va is the base for the blend). If you look through the Dunhill standard tin mixtures (965, Durbar, EMP, London Mix, Std Mix, etc) they're all like this but they're certainly not duplicates of each other. GL Pease has a lot of these too that are very good. I used to smoke quite a bit of Standard Mixture, when Dunhill made it. Nowadays I prefer more of GLP's mixtures.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 pm

Fainn wrote:
I ordered an ounce of Walnut Match from P & C. Its listed on their site as an English blend, but listed on TobaccoReviews as an American blend. So, what makes an American blend?
Sorry to resurrect a long gone thread, but if you are looking for a good American style English I recommend Lane Ltd. Medal of Valor. I can't stop smoking this stuff lately. It's one of those kitchen sink blends, but the Burley and Latakia are probably the most predominant flavors. Very good Orientals are in it as well as a touch of Lerique. I've burned through a couple tins the past month. I think it's available in bulk, but am unsure if it's as good, as the tinned blend comes pretty dry already. Almost C&D dry.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:41 am

KYBURLEY wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 pm
Fainn wrote:
Sorry to resurrect a long gone thread, but if you are looking for a good American style English I recommend Lane Ltd. Medal of Valor. I can't stop smoking this stuff lately. It's one of those kitchen sink blends, but the Burley and Latakia are probably the most predominant flavors. Very good Orientals are in it as well as a touch of Lerique. I've burned through a couple tins the past month. I think it's available in bulk, but am unsure if it's as good, as the tinned blend comes pretty dry already. Almost C&D dry.
While that one did slightly intrigue me I simply cannot smoke Latakia anymore.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Jester
Elder
Elder

Post by Jester » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 am

Cleon wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:35 pm
I concur with the previous posts. Burley is the foundation for American blends. I'd have to say that sweet additives would be a secondary characteristic since Burley doesn't have much sugar and overt taste on its own.

BTW, a friend's family has a business painting tobacco barns in Kentucky. The barns are all black from top to bottom. They use a special black, oil paint. These are huge barns on farms that grow acres and acres of Burley for the big tobacco companies. The big corporations are looking for consistency so they contract with these same large farms year in and year out. They don't want to source from many small farms. They'd rather source form fewer large farms. My friend showed me one farm that has been in the family since the 1830s, I believe.
Interesting. Did he say why they paint them black?
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:03 am

KYBURLEY wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:37 pm
Fainn wrote:
Medal of what? I don't remember that one. So I check TR... this is gonna be good...

"Notes: A "re-make" of Medal of Honor although the components of MOH were Virginia, Mahalla, Dubec and Mountain Leaf Latakia."

LOL! A remake? Nope. This is a brand new blend. Medal of Honor was an English Latakia mix. And the man from KY is right; this is a different animal. 'Murican Latakia mixture. No remake here.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:11 am

Jester wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:01 am
Cleon wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Interesting. Did he say why they paint them black?
Tobacco is the debbil.

Heat. It absorbs heat which means it costs less to heat it when air curing it. I think many farms will cover the barn in black plastic if they haven't painted it black.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:14 am

Rattray's Black Virginia isn't an American blend, but still very good all the same.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS