Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Weirdo Tobacco Recommendation.

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 pm
Edward G. Robinson is on my high strangeness list. As is Milano by Mastro de Paja. Weird, weird tobaccos.
Never had EGR, see? Good thing, too, see? I'd be talking like that all day if I ever did, see?

I remember having an oddball tobacco from Savinelli, and Evening Rose was weird but good. I've always thought 1q to be an oddity--how did they manage to get the flavor and nicotine out of it?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Edward G. Robinson is on my high strangeness list. As is Milano by Mastro de Paja. Weird, weird tobaccos.
Never had EGR, see? Good thing, too, see? I'd be talking like that all day if I ever did, see?

I remember having an oddball tobacco from Savinelli, and Evening Rose was weird but good. I've always thought 1q to be an oddity--how did they manage to get the flavor and nicotine out of it?
You, you do know he didn't actually talk like that, right?

1Q is good in a pinch. It's better than nothing. I've smoked some things that were not; better than nothing, that is.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:45 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm
So I'm in Allegheny Smokeworks today looking for a new baccy and I'm fingerings a tin of Cabbie's Mixture, pondering its purchase when a fellow customer came up and recommended it as a good tobacco. He said he had five tins put away.

Intrigued, I asked him what it tasted like. The reply? "Oh, I've never had any, it just gets really good reviews." When I asked him whether he thought tight, vertical straight grain rising out of Birdseye on the bottom of the bowl led to faster drying times and an overall better pipe, he said he didn't think so.
He hasn't read Carl Ehwa's book, Pipes & Tobacco. Graining is the prime consideration when selecting a pipe.

The reason vertical straight grain rising out of birds-eye results in faster drying times and an overall better pipe, is due to the density of vertical straight grain. By it's nature, it resists absorbing moisture. But the birds-eye at the bottom of the bowl does absorb moisture. It's like soil that drains well making for a healthier plant, or tree. Soil that does not drain well can kill a plant.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Completement fou, mon cher.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 pm
Complètement folle? Fou science?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:15 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 pm
Complètement folle? Fou science?
Pardonnez-moi, mon cher ami, mais la spéculation n'est pas la science.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:54 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:11 pm
A_Morley wrote:

You, you do know he didn't actually talk like that, right?

1Q is good in a pinch. It's better than nothing. I've smoked some things that were not; better than nothing, that is.
You, you do know that isn't the point, don't you? That the font of juvenile humor doesn't have to dry up completely, right? Ask your sister.

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:26 pm

A_Morley wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:02 am
Now, suppose I was looking for a recommendation for a weird tobacco. What would you recommend?
I hear Top Banana is pretty weird but probably would be included in the "not better than nothing" tobaccos.
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

Post by joegoat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 am

Does Captain Black still make grape? I have yet to see a pouch in the wild.
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis