Tell me about perique

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Tell me about perique

Post by ReverendThom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I was just thinking, and I'm not sure I have much experience with Perique blends.
Lots of Latakia and Virginias, but no Perique. Favourite blends? What you like about it? (Or don't like about it?) I dunno ... talk Perique to me.
“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Tell me about perique

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 pm

Careful, my boy, it's French for "prick." Apparently, the first grower wasn't very well liked by his neighbors.

It's peppery and plummy, some say figgy. It adds balance. Try haddo's yet? That one explained it.to me. It's the tabasco of tobacco. It dampens down the sweetness and adds a bit of bite. I like it in condiment amounts, except for in Haddo's.

I shall now yield the floor to Rusty, the Canadian Perique who likes Perique and understands it better than me.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Have you smoked Dunhill Nightcap? If so, then yes, you've had Perique. But you may not recognize it.
It is more usually found in Virginia mixtures and flakes. In very small amounts eg a pinch to a few percent it enriches Virginia tobaccos without being overt about it ie you may not realize that Perique is present. In larger amounts (this varies with the constituents) it adds a fruity stewed flavour, and in even larger amounts, it adds a spice that is somewhat like black pepper. By about 10-12% and up it's presence is unmistakable.

In the tobacco world it is a pagan god, the tobacco priapus, a tobacco rendered orgasm. Some worship and others throw up. Perique is not moved by either response. It turns out that some proportion of the population has a sensitivity to it, and the tobacco mixture containing Perique may strike them as much stronger than it actually is. If you have a sensitivity to it then you should avoid it.

I think it's wonderful. I keep jars of the stuff to amend blends that I think might be improved or changed in interesting ways. I think I've gone through about a pound of it. But I have to confess that I think it is one of those tobaccos that does no harm. I amend blends readily and it isn't with Perique alone.

There are lots of threads about Perique. And it seems that everyone eventually posts "Tell me about Perique". So do read some of the others.

Finally, unless you think that we are all the same you need to try it. Talking only goes so far. It can tease but it doesn't satisfy like Perique does. But for Perique, it would be a dreary world.

There are far more Va/Perique blends today than there ever were in the old days, though many may have had a pinch without advertising the fact. Today it's considered a big deal so they never fail to tell you and most pipe smokers are very literal minded.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:39 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 pm
Careful, my boy, it's French for "prick." Apparently, the first grower wasn't very well liked by his neighbors.

It's peppery and plummy, some say figgy. It adds balance. Try haddo's yet? That one explained it.to me. It's the tabasco of tobacco. It dampens down the sweetness and adds a bit of bite. I like it in condiment amounts, except for in Haddo's.

I shall now yield the floor to Rusty, the Canadian Perique who likes Perique and understands it better than me.
That first prick was either well endowed or had a miserable temperament. Pierre Chemot, according to Carl Ehwa, back in the 1750's observed the local (St. James Parish LA) aboriginal natives making Perique. He did likewise. He copied them. Much later the Catholics on CPS offered him up as a rare example of Catholics creating great tobaccos (you'd like that thread - ask me for a URL). :lol: The timing as well as his name suggests that he might have been an Acadian that was expelled from Atlantic Canada by the Brits.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:39 pm
hugodrax wrote:

That first prick was either well endowed or had a miserable temperament. Pierre Chemot, according to Carl Ehwa, back in the 1750's observed the local (St. James Parish LA) aboriginal natives making Perique. He did likewise. He copied them. Much later the Catholics on CPS offered him up as a rare example of Catholics creating great tobaccos (you'd like that thread - ask me for a URL). :lol:
Doubt it, old son. I'd suggest the obvious: his neighbors would be unlikely to know that he was well-endowed. He was miserable. Any relation?

Don't quote Ehwa to me. Your suggestion of Ehwa ruined Goose's objectivity towards grain patterns in briar. Also, dont quote Del's retardarion to me. I trust Pravda more. :D

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 pm
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

That first prick was either well endowed or had a miserable temperament. Pierre Chemot, according to Carl Ehwa, back in the 1750's observed the local (St. James Parish LA) aboriginal natives making Perique. He did likewise. He copied them. Much later the Catholics on CPS offered him up as a rare example of Catholics creating great tobaccos (you'd like that thread - ask me for a URL). :lol:
Doubt it, old son. I'd suggest the obvious: his neighbors would be unlikely to know that he was well-endowed. He was miserable. Any relation?

Don't quote Ehwa to me. Your suggestion of Ehwa ruined Goose's objectivity towards grain patterns in briar. Also, dont quote Del's retardarion to me. I trust Pravda more. :D
That was unprovoked.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:58 am

Leave Del alone. And speaking of leaves, you can order a pound of perique leaves from this place ... https://www.leafonly.com/pipe-tobacco-l ... cco-leaves
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Del

Post by Del » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:12 am

I like perique.

When I was a pipe newbie, everyone was raving about Pease's new Haddo's Delight. It gave me horrible headaches.

I visited the blend later, and it was wonderful. Just a bit much for beginners who don't know their own limits.

But I didn't really know perique until I got a chance to taste a few puffs of pure blending perique. I didn't die or anything. Try it, if you ever get a chance.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:04 am

I've never tried it straight, nor tried Haddo's. A little goes well for me, though. For me both the fig and black pepper taste descriptions fit well. I particularly enjoy McClellans blends, and Dunhill EM has grown on me as well.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:41 am

Del wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:23 am
hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

That was unprovoked.
Yeah, sorry, Rusty. I was playing. But that could definitely be taken as pretty doggone uncivil. My apologies.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 am

hugodrax wrote:
Rusty wrote:
hugodrax wrote:

Ehwa's is indispensible, IMO. It's a great book. Nobody is objective or actually tries to understand, ever. That's a myth. Christians are just more obvious about 'belief', which really is the denial of objectivity. Otherwise religion would be an odd footnote in history books. Goose latches on to some messages as if Jesus wrote them. And it doesn't matter who the author is. As a way of proceeding it's not entirely wrong. His preferred grain pattern is the same as that valued highest in the pipe world. It's the lack of skepticism or curiosity about alternatives that is irksome. But it's consistent with believers generally. Skeptics that deny everything will readily try anything and therein lies the path to hell.

RevThom, what else have you smoked that does contain Perique?

DAN
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by DAN » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 am

For a little perique, I might suggest Luxury Navy Flake. For a little bit more--and it's one of my favorites- -perhaps McClelland 2015. For more, C & D Bayou Morning. There are plenty of others, that's just what popped into my head right now.
In search of a sig line that somehow doesn't offend someone who richly deserves it.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 am

DAN wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:07 am
For a little perique, I might suggest Luxury Navy Flake. For a little bit more--and it's one of my favorites- -perhaps McClelland 2015. For more, C & D Bayou Morning. There are plenty of others, that's just what popped into my head right now.
Luxury Navy Flake as a suggestion occurred to me as well. I think your suggestion list is a good one.

I would emphatically add McClelland St. James Woods. That is one of the nicest Va/Per tobaccos. Also Escudo & Luxury Bullseye Flake for the Danish fiends - they're quite distinct. GLP Fillmore in the Fog City series is another - very reminiscent of the original Rattray Hal O The Wynd - delicious though the Rattray didn't contain Perique AFAIK. Three Nuns would have been suggested 25 years ago (at over 20% Perique) but that is edging up into much higher percentages of Perique. In that territory (higher Perique proportion) there is a surprising discovery. One might presume that the blend is overwhelmed by Perique but mysteriously that's not what happens at all.

Higher Perique proportions:
GLP Haddo's Delight - apparently 18% Perique; it's a truly great blend.
C&D Old Joe Krantz - 25% Perique; the great meeting place between Virginias and Burley, another truly great blend
C&D Bayou Night - it seems like 50% Perique! There is a lot of Perique. It's one of the only blends that really is a Perique blend. But it's so smooth and beguiling that it's a real surprise. Delicious and unique.

None of the three are straight Virginia and Perique. In fact Bayou Night is an American style Latakia mixture in some realities.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 am

I am holding a tin of The Beast by Cornell & Diehl. #145 of 777. I got it at Chicago Pipe Show 2016.

Small batch of mostly St. James perique (~60%), with some red virginia (2003 from North Carolina), black cavendish (Dominican Republic), and dark fired Kentucky (um... from Kentucky).

I got to sample a bowl at the show. It is not overwhelming, in perique or nicotine. I was expecting a punch in the face, yet it was surprisingly easy to smoke.
Label wrote:Legend has it that Aleister Crowley, famed adept of the Order of the Golden Dawn and founder of the Ordo Templi Orientis, is purported to have made a habit of smoking rum-soaked perique as a meditative aid.

To date, many a dabbler has pursued his own manifestation of this concoction out of sheer curiosity. We have too. And so in the spirit of the nefarious occultist himself, we sought to tame the Beast with our own rendering of the recipe, soaked for seven days in spiced rum, so that we might share our vision of it with the most inquisitive and brave of pipe smokers.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/104 ... -the-beast

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/j ... tch-review

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 am
I am holding a tin of The Beast by Cornell & Diehl. #145 of 777. I got it at Chicago Pipe Show 2016.

Small batch of mostly St. James perique (~60%), with some red virginia (2003 from North Carolina), black cavendish (Dominican Republic), and dark fired Kentucky (um... from Kentucky).

I got to sample a bowl at the show. It is not overwhelming, in perique or nicotine. I was expecting a punch in the face, yet it was surprisingly easy to smoke.
Label wrote:Legend has it that Aleister Crowley, famed adept of the Order of the Golden Dawn and founder of the Ordo Templi Orientis, is purported to have made a habit of smoking rum-soaked perique as a meditative aid.

To date, many a dabbler has pursued his own manifestation of this concoction out of sheer curiosity. We have too. And so in the spirit of the nefarious occultist himself, we sought to tame the Beast with our own rendering of the recipe, soaked for seven days in spiced rum, so that we might share our vision of it with the most inquisitive and brave of pipe smokers.

WTF? The Dominican Republic now makes Black Cavendish???? If you had said Vatican City you would not shock me. But the Dominican Republic? Nahhh. Is it the rum that is from the Dominican Republic? We know about you guys and Cuba. Shameful.

The lesson is that high perique blends are not necessarily strong nor a punch in the face. Intuitively we might think they should be but they're really not. And I think punch-in-the-face is easy to make - DIY. Ah the Mystery of a pagan god. On your knees, heretic!

Del is the fellow that used to whine (mistakenly) about the strength of Haddo's. Look at him now.

Del

Post by Del » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:03 pm
Del wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 am

WTF? The Dominican Republic now makes Black Cavendish???? If you had said Vatican City you would not shock me. But the Dominican Republic? Nahhh. Is it the rum that is from the Dominican Republic? We know about you guys and Cuba. Shameful.

The lesson is that high perique blends are not necessarily strong nor a punch in the face. Intuitively we might think they should be but they're really not. And I think punch-in-the-face is easy to make - DIY. Ah the Mystery of a pagan god. On your knees, heretic!

Del is the fellow that used to whine (mistakenly) about the strength of Haddo's. Look at him now.
Dominican Republican just found something to do with the cigar leaf scraps swept up from the floor. Clever.

And over the years, pipe smoking has significantly enhanced my manliness. Yes, it has.

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:22 pm
And over the years, pipe smoking has significantly enhanced my manliness. Yes, it has.
I'm sure RevThom has some interest in this. If he's going to look like a werewolf I think he'd like to know in advance.
Could you tell us about the symptoms of this claimed manliness enhancement?

Del

Post by Del » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 am

Rusty wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 pm
Del wrote:
I'm sure RevThom has some interest in this. If he's going to look like a werewolf I think he'd like to know in advance.
Don't worry. Mostly, it's just sex-appeal.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:59 pm

Oh I have smoked Luxury Navy Flake, and enjoyed it. Also I realized today I've had a tin of McClelland Beacon for almost 2 years, and apparently that's a perique blend?
... Heading downstairs now. I'll be right back :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:08 pm

Del wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:33 am
Rusty wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:57 pm
Del wrote:
Don't worry. Mostly, it's just sex-appeal.
Smoking? Not anymore. Not for a long time. What year is it where you are?
It has to be a visible sign, none of these intangibles.