Experiment with tobacco

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Experiment with tobacco

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:08 pm

So for the IPSD this year I made an order from P&C and that included some Presbyterian Mixture MATCH...P&C's attempt to come close to PM...EPIC Failure! I have had 8 ounces minus 2 bowls just sitting around. I also had a tin of Pelican opened and I don't like it either.

I was remembering the Thanksgiving Day blend that I sampled in the box pass before Christmas last year and thought, let's experiment. So I put the MATCH and the Pelican in a tub and mixed well then I took 5 table spoons of cabernet sauvignon (Black Box) and added and put the lid on and gave it a swirl...I have been doing a toss every time I walk by and after a week, I scooped it all out onto a paper towel covered sheet pan and then covered that with paper towel and left it for 48 hours.

I then broke it up and tumbled it some more in the tub and then jarred it. It filled 2 jelly jars. I tried some Sunday...its not quite as good as the Thanksgiving blend, but it is very nice. I like the flavor of the wine and it is present but not too strong. I think it would be better with the majority of the tobacco being of higher quality. I don't like Pelican, but it is quality, as opposed to the Match...it wasn't good. But I now have something that is good to smoke and will get rid of the match. I may try this with some better quality stuff at a later date...or just stock up on the Peretti tobacco. :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: Experiment with tobacco

Post by Rusty » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:08 pm
So for the IPSD this year I made an order from P&C and that included some Presbyterian Mixture MATCH...P&C's attempt to come close to PM...EPIC Failure! I have had 8 ounces minus 2 bowls just sitting around. I also had a tin of Pelican opened and I don't like it either.

I was remembering the Thanksgiving Day blend that I sampled in the box pass before Christmas last year and thought, let's experiment. So I put the MATCH and the Pelican in a tub and mixed well then I took 5 table spoons of cabernet sauvignon (Black Box) and added and put the lid on and gave it a swirl...I have been doing a toss every time I walk by and after a week, I scooped it all out onto a paper towel covered sheet pan and then covered that with paper towel and left it for 48 hours.

I then broke it up and tumbled it some more in the tub and then jarred it. It filled 2 jelly jars. I tried some Sunday...its not quite as good as the Thanksgiving blend, but it is very nice. I like the flavor of the wine and it is present but not too strong. I think it would be better with the majority of the tobacco being of higher quality. I don't like Pelican, but it is quality, as opposed to the Match...it wasn't good. But I now have something that is good to smoke and will get rid of the match. I may try this with some better quality stuff at a later date...or just stock up on the Peretti tobacco. :)
An interesting experiment. I mix stuff all the time (bowl by bowl) and it yields more blends. And I'll mix more together if it's good.

I was intrigued by Presbyterian Match so I went and looked at their picture. It looks like it's somewhere in between the original Presbyterian (predominantly light tan Virginia with a unidentified pale Oriental) and the new one which is mostly dark and includes quite noticeable Latakia. Vastly different in flavour, in fact, they're quite different blend types.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:25 pm

I really don't think I've had any "match" that was as good as the original.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:08 pm

Rusty

You were right two vastly different blends...I saw no resemblance...maybe for someone who remembers the original it migh be similar, but the PM I know and love is very different.

S&S it was like they weren't even trying to match todays version...and what they had was bland and had little flavor.

I know when the Thanksgiving blend went around some didn't like the wine topping...but I loved it. So this is a good use of something I wasn't going to smoke anyway and it worked out.

Rusty

Normally I am a bowl to bowl mixer too. But with this I figured I wasn't gonna smoke the tobaccos anyway, so it was worth a shot. AND the basement smells terrific after the drying process :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD