Personal Tobacco Traditions

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Personal Tobacco Traditions

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm

I just bought a tin of Grousemoor and this topic came to mind. More on the Grousemoor later.

I was wondering if there is a certain blend that you smoke only at certain times or events. For instance I smoke Penzance on the birthdays of my grand daughters. That is the tobacco I chose to smoke to celebrate the day they each were born and it continues...for as long as I can get Penzance, I rarely smoke it any other time. I have an annual meet up with the fat man on Christmas Eve and I have a selection of one or two blends that I smoke after the stockings are filled...an adult beverage and a pipe for "Santa".

So for the Grousemoor...I had wanted a blend that I celebrated the end of the day in the grouse hills. Grousemoor is a natural, but I am not big on most LakeLands (Grandma's bath salts)...but with encouragement from Morley's posts and a tin from FOP, I tried some last season and liked it a lot. So I bought another tin for this grouse season and am adding a new tobacco tradition.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: Personal Tobacco Traditions

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:17 pm
I just bought a tin of Grousemoor and this topic came to mind. More on the Grousemoor later.

I was wondering if there is a certain blend that you smoke only at certain times or events. For instance I smoke Penzance on the birthdays of my grand daughters. That is the tobacco I chose to smoke to celebrate the day they each were born and it continues...for as long as I can get Penzance, I rarely smoke it any other time. I have an annual meet up with the fat man on Christmas Eve and I have a selection of one or two blends that I smoke after the stockings are filled...an adult beverage and a pipe for "Santa".

So for the Grousemoor...I had wanted a blend that I celebrated the end of the day in the grouse hills. Grousemoor is a natural, but I am not big on most LakeLands (Grandma's bath salts)...but with encouragement from Morley's posts and a tin from FOP, I tried some last season and liked it a lot. So I bought another tin for this grouse season and am adding a new tobacco tradition.
I have a tin or two of that in my cellar. Not sure what caused me to buy them. Have never tried it yet. What do you like about it?
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:28 pm

I generally have a good McClelland VaPer every evening. So refreshing and relaxing. A few days ago I cracked a 3.5 ounce tin of their St. James Woods broken flake Virginia-Perique, and looking forward to it for sure. Very very good stuff. Highly recommended for VaPer lovers.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 pm

Goose, I generally have a pipe of vaper in the evening as well. Like you I like the taste.

I think the intent here is to talk about more whimsical traditions. I can't say I smoke grousemoor when grousehunting or any special tobaccos on my daughters birthdays. I guess I have no tobacco traditions.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far

Post by Fainn » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:21 pm

The first pipe I bought when I was 18 is a basket billiard with a military mount. I smoked the heck out of it with Swiss Chocolate until the stem and shank connection became too loose to make it a regular smoke. It happened to be the pipe I smoked when my uncle. So now I only smoke that pipe and blend when someone passes. I call the pipe, which is black, the "pipe of mourning".
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

SlowToke
John Crosby's Friend
John Crosby's Friend

Post by SlowToke » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:28 pm

The only tradition I've followed is purchasing 4 tins of the current year Christmas Cheer around this time of year but alas that is no more. :sob:
Wayne Teipen
http://teipenpipes.com
"Fools have no interest in understanding; they only want to air their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

"Life is tough, and it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:39 pm

SlowToke wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:28 pm
The only tradition I've followed is purchasing 4 tins of the current year Christmas Cheer around this time of year but alas that is no more. :sob:
Ditto.
"When God closes a door, just open it again. It's a door. That's how they work." FredS

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:53 pm

Long story short, after a successful snipe hunt I liked a bowl of Edgeworth, when it was still around. Before and during a duck hunt I always have a cigar, both for mosquitoes and to accompany the thermos of strong black coffee. But after the duck hunt its a dry English blend, preferably a McClelland, and preferably with a small strong Toddy of some sort.
After Thanksgiving lunch, I'll smoke the strongest English-lat-containing blend I have. Westminster, typically.
Christmas smoke is always a Navy Flake.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 am

On Christmas Day, I smoke my Santa Meerschaum pipe all day. That's about it.
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am

UncleBob wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 am
There have to be pictures...lets see one
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:23 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:14 am
UncleBob wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 am
There have to be pictures...lets see one
I am shy.

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip