IT'S ALIVE!!! (Resurrecting Vintage Tins)

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
joegoat
Minister of not knowing names
Minister of not knowing names

IT'S ALIVE!!! (Resurrecting Vintage Tins)

Post by joegoat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:13 am

I came across a completely full vintage 1 pound can of Blue Boar in an antique shop. It was marked for $30, which is fair for a pound, but it had been opened previously and the contents were dry as a popcorn fart. They did have a tobacco smell about them. I passed it by because that price is a bit much for a decoration of that sort. Had I known if a second shot at life was possible for it, I might be smoking a bowl now. My questions are, can tins like this be brought back and be as good as they once were? Is there a point of no return? If possible to do, what have your methods been?
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Re: IT'S ALIVE!!! (Resurrecting Vintage Tins)

Post by Rusty » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 am

You can always try. But that product hasn't been made in over 30 years. That's the youngest it can be. It's older than you. Even in a sealed tin it's unlikely to be as good as it was the year it was made. That it is open suggests much worse. It depends how long it has been open though. After a month open tobacco noticeably loses flavour. After a year open to the air it's a lost cause. It's not just moisture lost but the complex organics that make flavour. Also being open it tends to absorb scents and perhaps other things from its environment over longer periods of time. It comes to equilibrium with its environment. The prospects aren't great. I've never had any luck even resurrecting year-open "lost seal in the cellar tins".

That it still has a tobacco scent is promising. GL Pease talks about this challenge in a couple of articles.

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=28
http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=49

GLP suggests dumping the dry tobacco into a kitchen bowl and putting a very damp towel over the bowl (not in contact with the tobacco and not dripping). It's going to be days at this. Some suggest spritzing the tobacco directly with water. But since it was open I would guess that there is even a better chance of mold growing.

The American Tobacco Co. was the last manufacturer and they ceased manufacturing by '94. I think Blue Boar was discontinued in the mid-80's or so and the original never returned. The 80's were very bad years for pipe tobacco. We lost a lot. Bob Runowski was a very vocal fan of Blue Boar. If you look around you'll find some of his old posts from about 2000 through to 2011 on various forums. He passed away in 2011, I think. He posted under the name Morleysson, even here on CPS. He's the author of C&D's Morley's Best as a replacement for Blue Boar. So you might try that. It's available. He's the author of many of the great C&D Burley mixtures eg Old Joe Krantz, Haunted Bookshop, and many others.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

Irish-Dane
I'm a pro at tobacco canning
I'm a pro at tobacco canning

Post by Irish-Dane » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 am

Good thread.
It's not available because if you try it you will die. Your face will melt off and your children will weep over your exploded body. --Colton

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 am

Irish-Dane wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 am
Good thread.
Yep.

I've also tried various ways for making old dried out tobacco palatable. My rule, however, is if no odor, or if it was an aromatic, then I just trash it. If I can discern Latakia then I always make an effort, and my favorite is to place tobacco in a closed container with a lemon. The resulting tobacco probably doesn't taste like the original, but it usually has a good flavor of its own.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Good thread.
Yep.

I've also tried various ways for making old dried out tobacco palatable. My rule, however, is if no odor, or if it was an aromatic, then I just trash it. If I can discern Latakia then I always make an effort, and my favorite is to place tobacco in a closed container with a lemon. The resulting tobacco probably doesn't taste like the original, but it usually has a good flavor of its own.
Do you cut the lemon in half or quarters?
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:54 pm

I've had no luck, either. Oh, you can rehydrate it. But my experience is it tastes like wet cardboard smells. By all means, though, give it a shot. Some of those old blends were sold dry as a bone anyhoo.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Steverino » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:00 pm

I've used the GLP method of rehydration a couple of times. It did not return the tobacco to its original character but it did make it very smokable and of decent flavor. My tobacco was only a few years old though so really old tobacco probably wouldn't do as well as Rusty has suggested. I did find that one or two ounces of tobacco can be sufficiently rehydrated in from one to three hours using this method, depending on how dry it is to begin with.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:46 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:52 pm
sweetandsour wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:56 am
Irish-Dane wrote:
Good thread.
Yep.

Do you cut the lemon in half or quarters?
I leave the lemon whole, unsliced. Use a small lemon or a large container. I think I posted a pic in the smoking thread once.
As thus we sat in darkness
Each one busy with his prayers,
"We are lost!" the captain shouted,
As he staggered down the stairs.

O love the Lord, all ye His saints: for the Lord preserveth the faithful. Psalm 31:23

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:47 pm

I just had a somewhat similar experience except the tobacco was nowhere near as old. I bought what I thought was an unopened tin of House of Windsor U***n Leader at an antique store. It is in a tin style can and is twelve or fourteen ounces. When I got it home and opened the top the seal had been broken and the tobacco was dry as a mummy's tomb. Only paid $10 though. It was worth it for the cool tin I guess.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:38 pm

Off Topic
why is nio censured??? I've tried searching and googling and I want to know the great CPS history behind this oddity
Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Tradition, you bastage. That's good enough for you.

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Haha ok works for me

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:50 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:29 pm
Haha ok works for me

Also, nobody knows but we keep it anyhoo.

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 pm

ReverendThom wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:38 pm
Off Topic
why is nio censured??? I've tried searching and googling and I want to know the great CPS history behind this oddity
WTH or WTF is nio? dude. Yer freakin' me out.

Now. If you don't mind. Let's get back to it.

DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 am

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Off Topic

It's a Canadian thing. Missing letters signify something. He's just asking what it signifies.
Just to be quite plain "nio" is asterisked out in the word U.N.I.O.N. He may not have discovered some of the other words like H.O.M.O as in h.o.m.o sapien, which if you write that nonchalantly you get this... <Of or having to do with the same>- sapien. There is a whole table of them.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 am
DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 pm
ReverendThom wrote:
Off Topic

It's a Canadian thing. Missing letters signify something. He's just asking what it signifies.
Just to be quite plain "nio" is asterisked out in the word U.N.I.O.N. He may not have discovered some of the other words like H.O.M.O as in h.o.m.o sapien, which if you write that nonchalantly you get this... <Of or having to do with the same>- sapien. There is a whole table of them.
Can't you guys just do Train Spotting? I get that one.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:07 pm

I smoked some 100 year old Prince Albert that I rehydrated a few years back. It wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either. I just soaked a paper towel with distilled water and then wrung it out and folded it into a little square and popped it into a jar full of dry tobacco for 24-48 hours and then removed it, mixed the contents and let it sit for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:42 pm

When I first took up this hobby, I bought a leather bag that had a tobacco compartment and a pipe compartment (Still have it). I would buy a pouch or a couple of oz at a pipe shop and keep it in the bag till it was gone and then buy some more. I stopped into a pipe shop one day thinking I needed a second pipe. I got a $5 basket pipe and the shop owner asked what I was going to smoke in it, I handed over my bag, I think I had some coffee flavored topped something or other. It was kind of dry and I would likely have thrown it away and bought something else. The shop owner dumped it in a large metal mixing bowl and sprayed it with some distilled water and then with a rubber spatula he stirred it around and then put it back in my bag. Good as new...probably not...but I bought some "Hobbit's Weed" from him...it was the first time I had ever tried it. Yup it was Tewksbury's here in Denver. The tobacco that he sprayed got thrown away after one bowl of the Hobbit's Weed and Hobbit's Weed was my tobacco for several years before I discovered tins and all the options.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:31 pm

Bloodhound wrote:When I first took up this hobby, I bought a leather bag that had a tobacco compartment and a pipe compartment (Still have it). I would buy a pouch or a couple of oz at a pipe shop and keep it in the bag till it was gone and then buy some more. I stopped into a pipe shop one day thinking I needed a second pipe. I got a $5 basket pipe and the shop owner asked what I was going to smoke in it, I handed over my bag, I think I had some coffee flavored topped something or other. It was kind of dry and I would likely have thrown it away and bought something else. The shop owner dumped it in a large metal mixing bowl and sprayed it with some distilled water and then with a rubber spatula he stirred it around and then put it back in my bag. Good as new...probably not...but I bought some "Hobbit's Weed" from him...it was the first time I had ever tried it. Yup it was Tewksbury's here in Denver. The tobacco that he sprayed got thrown away after one bowl of the Hobbit's Weed and Hobbit's Weed was my tobacco for several years before I discovered tins and all the options.
Yea I smoked Highland Whiskey for a couple years like you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis