How old is this tin?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

How old is this tin?

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:13 pm

My cousin just picked up this old tin and he was wondering how old it is.
Rusty? Anybody else know much about Canadian Tobacco? :)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

― C.S. Lewis, On the Incarnation

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: How old is this tin?

Post by durangopipe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:29 pm

Yes.
It appears to be rusty.
You're welcome.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Wherever we go in the world we find other men speaking the same language...dreaming the same dreams. And one of the big four - brownie, or brookie, cutthroat or rainbow - is the cause of it all.

Roderick Haig-Brown

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Re: RE: Re: How old is this tin?

Post by ReverendThom » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:34 pm

durangopipe wrote:Yes.
It appears to be rusty.
You're welcome.
Hahaha :D

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

“I believe that many who find that "nothing happens" when they sit down, or kneel down, to a book of devotion, would find that the heart sings unbidden while they are working their way through a tough bit of theology with a pipe in their teeth and a pencil in their hand.”

Sir Moose
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble
President Jar-Jar Binks fan club: "Meesa tink he da best!" - Perpetually in Trouble

Post by Sir Moose » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 pm

It appears that the writing on the lid starts off with "For over seventy five years..." Since the Macdonald Tobacco Company was founded in 1858, 75 years would take you to 1933. Presumably, it wouldn't have been too long after that or they would revise the statement on the lid to "For over eighty years..." or something similar. So, I'm going to guess that the tin is from sometime between 1933 and 1937.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:03 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 pm
It appears that the writing on the lid starts off with "For over seventy five years..." Since the Macdonald Tobacco Company was founded in 1858, 75 years would take you to 1933. Presumably, it wouldn't have been too long after that or they would revise the statement on the lid to "For over eighty years..." or something similar. So, I'm going to guess that the tin is from sometime between 1933 and 1937.
I really like this answer. It involves looking up the company and then doing a little arithmetic. You should get merit points for this one. I would have done the same thing.

Never saw Pilot on the market. However, we can be 100% sure that it was a straight Virginia. These Virginia RYO tins were good starter fare because they were plentiful in our house. My father was always tinkering with DIY cigarette making machines.

Little known today but Macdonald Tobacco had a small chain of really good Tobacconists. I think that ended shortly after Reynold's bought them. But one of their stores was the Tobacconist located in the old Vancouver EA Morris Gastown tobacco shop in the early 70's. I think it was called Macdonald-Stewart Tobacconist. Nice shop.

Macdonald tobacco is now JTI-Macdonald, a sibling of Gallaher.
A mood rises just to have.

Though it is not too sweet, the citreous marble design is refreshing womanfully, and a mood rises just to have.

~ Pen review (Onishi-seisakusho Fountain pen Acetate Lemon) on a Japanese site

ReverendThom
A Mari Usque Ad Mare
A Mari Usque Ad Mare

Post by ReverendThom » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:18 am

Sir Moose wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 pm
Makes sense. Thanks! I could only find green tins, which all featured airplanes, and were from the 40s and up so I figured this was earlier than those

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 am

It is 24 days old.

You are most welcome.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle