Is it an Aromatic Tobacco or something else?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Is it an Aromatic Tobacco or something else?

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am

I bring this up because I like Navy Flake and Cake and well those types of blends.

So what makes a tobacco an Aromatic Tobacco? I guess that is the underlying question.

Down to the nitty gritty...For example C&D Blockade Runner, a Navy Crumble Cake. the tobacco leaves are soaked in rum for 7 days, then dried and prepared and pressed and processed and then packaged. Is it an Aromatic Tobacco? It has an added flavor...but then so does latakia, smoke is added.

Is adding a "topping" after processing the final determiner? So another example C&D Snug Harbor...Processed English/Balkan style blend with rum added prior to packing and shipping.

One of the first tobaccos on my journey was Borkum Riff BOURBON WHISKEY...I consider this an Aromatic tobacco...but...well now I have confused myself.

What are your thoughts and the facts as you believe them to be :D
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Is it an Aromatic Tobacco or something else?

Post by hugodrax » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:42 am

Whoo-boy, maybe we ought to just fight about politics, eh?

I think the term "aromatic," standing alone, is largely useless. An aromatic tobacco is anything with a pleasant smell, right? Many old English mixtures were classified as "aromatic" because of the Turkish and Greek tobaccos used.

I like the term "American Aromatic" because it at least defines a genre of tobaccos--heavy use of black cavendish and dessert flavors. Sticky Stuff. But "aromatic" in general distinguishes nothing. Few non-indigenous people develop a taste for unadulterated tobaccos, and many people think that "straight" virginias and English mixtures are not flavored with sweeteners. This is flat out false.

Telling me something is "aromatic" does not tell me I'll like it or that I won't like it, nor does it necessarily tell me what the mixture contains. Phooey, say I.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Bloodhound

Re: Is it an Aromatic Tobacco or something else?

Post by Bloodhound » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 am

I agree...This has been simmering on the back burner of my pipe thoughts for about a month. I was in a B&M and asked for a tin of C&D Blockade Runner and the clerk said he was out but wanted to suggest another Aromatic that I might like. I have never considered Blockade Runner an "Aromatic" at least not in the sense of American Aromatic, not a "Topped Tobacco". When I did some reading, I saw Turkish tobaccos described as Aromatics...then I was really confused. I went to the online stores and they seem to say Topped = Aromatic...most of the time...so what about Fusiliers Ration or Bengal Slices...there is a topping, but I have seen them described at English blends with no mention of...

I am just mulling and I thought, "its always better to mull with others who might mull it differently than I mull and thus we might together mull it better.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD