All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: McClelland Oriental Mixtures

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:23 am

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 am
Rusty wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am
BTW this year is the 40th Anniversary of the five Oriental mixtures (green label) and the five Matured Virginias (brown label). These 10 were the "go to market" initial product offering of McClelland Tobacco in 1977 at startup. They were packaged in 4 oz. soup tins with the paper and wax seal that is today on the Anniversary mixture. This is why the Anniversary mixture is the way it is and looks the way it does. The Anniversary mixture was first intro'd at the 25th Anniversary. It's really nice. So add that one to the bunch as well. I gather the Anniversary mixture is in a new release with gold wax this year.
Thanks Rusty...I am going to look for it. I like the Anniversary mixture I have sampled in the past...back when we had a pipe club here.
The 25th anniversary is the only one I'd ever had. Boy, was it good and I'd forgotten all about it.

I need to try the Hug Mixture. I don't know what a smoke hug is and frankly, it might be horribly invasive, but I feel it must be experienced.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

plainview
Congregation
Congregation

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:18 am

Rusty wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am
BTW this year is the 40th Anniversary of the five Oriental mixtures (green label) and the five Matured Virginias (brown label). These 10 were the "go to market" initial product offering of McClelland Tobacco in 1977 at startup. They were packaged in 4 oz. soup tins with the paper wrapping and wax seal that is today on the Anniversary mixture. This is why the Anniversary mixture is the way it is and is packaged the way it is. The Anniversary mixture was first intro'd at the 25th Anniversary. It's really nice. So add that one to the bunch as well. I gather the Anniversary mixture is in a new release with gold wax this year.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm a fan of the Anniversary blend - packaging and all.

By the way, I found an image of an ancient tin of No 1.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Pipe club sometimes turned into "show and tell/smoke and share" That is when I enjoyed the 25 year, and one time Simeon brought an old tin of 3Nuns.

I have a very old tin of #1...but not that old :)
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD