Newbie question time.....

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Rev156
Congregation
Congregation

Newbie question time.....

Post by Rev156 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 am

Tried working my way through a bowl of GL Pease Gaslight this morning, after a great bowl of Navy flake. I couldn't keep the thing lit, and was way too much work to be relaxing and enjoyable.
I assume it was too wet. I have to buy in 50g tins up here in canuck land, and once opened I transfer to mason jars for storage.
How do I dry it out with out over drying it, if that is possible.
Others I have tried have been fine out of the tin.
Thanks in advance,
Mark

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Re: Newbie question time.....

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:51 am

Rev156 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:43 am
Tried working my way through a bowl of GL Pease Gaslight this morning, after a great bowl of Navy flake. I couldn't keep the thing lit, and was way too much work to be relaxing and enjoyable.
I assume it was too wet. I have to buy in 50g tins up here in canuck land, and once opened I transfer to mason jars for storage.
How do I dry it out with out over drying it, if that is possible.
Others I have tried have been fine out of the tin.
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Well, how dry a tobacco should be is completely a matter of taste. I tend to leave the lid off a really wet tobacco like a Gawith mixture until it's dry enough to smoke. I like it on the springy side of crunchy. Some like it moist, some like it bone dry. Those are terms of art. :taco: You're tastes probably aren't going to be the same as mine, but you basically just open the lid or lay a bowlful out for a 20 minutes or so and then give it a feel.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:54 am

When new pipe smokers have trouble staying lit, it often means that too much tobacco was packed into the pipe. Before you light, check the draw. It should be open and easy, like sucking air through a straw.

Or... Maybe you have unrealistic expectations about how a pipe should stay lit? Re-lighting a pipe is very common as we smoke.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Rusty
Come and see the violence inherent in the system!

Post by Rusty » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Put out a bowl's worth on a piece of paper well before you load and smoke it and let it dry. I think that one is a cake too so break the cake up when you leave it to dry. You don't have to do the whole tin. And if you don't smoke it (ie life intervenes) just put it back in the tin. I know you say you transfer it to a jar but if you don't and the tin lasts a month or longer then definitely put a piece of aluminum foil over the tin opening and the plastic top over that. That does quite well.

Sarnia, London, Chatham or further east?
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light

Rev156
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Rev156 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 am

Thanks, I'll try leaving some out next time I have that one.
And Sarnia, Rusty. If you know Chatham, you must be close......or reading a map I suppose....haha

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Rev156 wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 am
Thanks, I'll try leaving some out next time I have that one.
And Sarnia, Rusty. If you know Chatham, you must be close......or reading a map I suppose....haha
Within a day by car. Ottawa Valley, SW of Ottawa.
You're out of the woods
You're out of the dark
You're out of the night
Step into the sun
Step into the light