Penzance tin note

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
User avatar
plainview
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: USA

Penzance tin note

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:50 am

Penzance has a rich, sweet, brown sugary, barbecue sauce-like tin note? It's unlike any other pipe tobacco I have experienced. What produces this sweet and savory tin note?

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Del » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:52 am

I think it is from the tobacco.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Del » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am

The rich sweet-vinegar aroma is typical of aged virginias.

Add the smokey aroma of latakia, and you get "barbecue sauce."
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6274
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Pepik » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:52 am
I think it is from the tobacco.
Image

Had to put that there.

But really - it's that lovely convergence of curing, fermentation, aging, pressing, and midnight elves. Also it's super-secret recipe - which you can find via a Tor gateway on the Darknet for a bitcoin or less.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14612
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm

Pepik wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 pm
Del wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:52 am
I think it is from the tobacco.
Image

Had to put that there.

But really - it's that lovely convergence of curing, fermentation, aging, pressing, and midnight elves. Also it's super-secret recipe - which you can find via a Tor gateway on the Darknet for a bitcoin or less.
Huh. I always thought it was all the nicotine in the tin escaping at once.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6274
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Pepik » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:22 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:15 pm
Huh. I always thought it was all the nicotine in the tin escaping at once.
After looking at the Darknet, step 4 in the recipe is 'Remove all vestiges of Nicotine so hugodrax will loath it, the nutter'.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
plainview
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: USA

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:41 pm

There are similar/related blends to Penzance available (frequently touted as replacement worthy), but they all seem to be more heavy handed with the latakia, less with the sweet barbecue.

GLP Quiet Nights
1776 American Patriot
Brebbia Latakia Flake No. 9
Hearth & Home Ten to Midnight
And more.

User avatar
plainview
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: USA

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Pepik wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:14 pm

But really - it's that lovely convergence of curing, fermentation, aging, pressing, and midnight elves. Also it's super-secret recipe - which you can find via a Tor gateway on the Darknet for a bitcoin or less.
Great points.

User avatar
Cleon
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 13689
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Indiana - South of 40
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Cleon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:47 pm

It has been years since I've smelled Penzance out of the tin. I remember it smelling like a medicine cabinet. Like Band-Aids and disinfectant. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
"Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven" - Jesus

"More people need to put their big boy britches on." - JMG

"Dang, a pipe slap." - JimVH

User avatar
Pepik
Working as Intended
Posts: 6274
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:21 am
Location: Just West of Skip
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Pepik » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm

It comes off as rather well peated scotch to me - along the lines of Lagavulin++. Exotique and that one Kramer's blend do the same for me.
Rgrds,
Joe


"I'm an alarmingly happy and optimistic person" - A_Morley
"I drank what?" - Socrates

User avatar
plainview
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: USA

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:55 pm

I don't pick up peat in the Penzance. But when I had a sample of Laphroaig 10, I immediately thought of Band-Aids and hospitals.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14612
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Pepik wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm
It comes off as rather well peated scotch to me - along the lines of Lagavulin++. Exotique and that one Kramer's blend do the same for me.
Exotique, Penzance, Margate, Balkan Sasieni all do this for me. They're also the only English mixtures I really love: I seem to require that, but Penzance does it with the least latakia, to my tasters.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25416
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:52 pm

plainview wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:41 pm
There are similar/related blends to Penzance available (frequently touted as replacement worthy), but they all seem to be more heavy handed with the latakia, less with the sweet barbecue.

GLP Quiet Nights
1776 American Patriot
Brebbia Latakia Flake No. 9
Hearth & Home Ten to Midnight
And more.
There is no substitute for Penzance.

Never had a bad bowl of it.
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

User avatar
Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Posts: 5816
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains / Colorado
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Bloodhound » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I have smoked a lot of Penzance. I had a good source for it for a while. It is one of my all time favorites. I have never had anything that was a replacement. That said...sometimes when I want Penzance, but don't want to dip into my well guarded stash, I will smoke some Presbyterian Mixture...to me they are related...PM is less refined but it is close enough that I don't have to brave the rattle snake pit to get to my last bit of Penzance.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

User avatar
plainview
Congregation
Congregation
Posts: 195
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: USA

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by plainview » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:15 pm
I have smoked a lot of Penzance. I had a good source for it for a while. It is one of my all time favorites. I have never had anything that was a replacement. That said...sometimes when I want Penzance, but don't want to dip into my well guarded stash, I will smoke some Presbyterian Mixture...to me they are related...PM is less refined but it is close enough that I don't have to brave the rattle snake pit to get to my last bit of Penzance.
Presbyterian, that's another great pipe tobacco that is hard to find these days.

User avatar
DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.
Posts: 25416
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Tobacco Fairy HQ, North Carolina

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by DepartedLight » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Del wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am
The rich sweet-vinegar aroma is typical of aged virginias.

Add the smokey aroma of latakia, and you get "barbecue sauce."
‘skcuse me there, Delster.

We once shared BBQ in downtown Raleigh. Your bride can vouche for that.

If the BBQ Sauce scent is felt in North Carolina, wouldn’t it be more McClellandesque?
DL Jake

All my posts should be viewed from a position of, this guy is nuts.

I missed throwing up in 2016. » tuttle

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Del » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:37 pm

DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 pm
Del wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am
The rich sweet-vinegar aroma is typical of aged virginias.

Add the smokey aroma of latakia, and you get "barbecue sauce."
‘skcuse me there, Delster.

We once shared BBQ in downtown Raleigh. Your bride can vouche for that.

If the BBQ Sauce scent is felt in North Carolina, wouldn’t it be more McClellandesque?
I have no idea how to translate Carolina barbecue into terms that could be understood in Pasadena.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14612
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:51 am

Del wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:37 pm
DepartedLight wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:47 pm
Del wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:55 am
The rich sweet-vinegar aroma is typical of aged virginias.

Add the smokey aroma of latakia, and you get "barbecue sauce."
‘skcuse me there, Delster.

We once shared BBQ in downtown Raleigh. Your bride can vouche for that.

If the BBQ Sauce scent is felt in North Carolina, wouldn’t it be more McClellandesque?
I have no idea how to translate Carolina barbecue into terms that could be understood in Pasadena.
Really surprised there's been no response to this.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Posts: 4873
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: Florence, MS & Papua New Guinea
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by JMG » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:56 am

Pepik wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm
It comes off as rather well peated scotch to me - along the lines of Lagavulin++.
How dare you, sir!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35648
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Penzance tin note

Post by Del » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:10 am

plainview wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:39 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:15 pm
I have smoked a lot of Penzance. I had a good source for it for a while. It is one of my all time favorites. I have never had anything that was a replacement. That said...sometimes when I want Penzance, but don't want to dip into my well guarded stash, I will smoke some Presbyterian Mixture...to me they are related...PM is less refined but it is close enough that I don't have to brave the rattle snake pit to get to my last bit of Penzance.
Presbyterian, that's another great pipe tobacco that is hard to find these days.
Although not as rare as Pentecostal Mixture.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Post Reply