Cornell and Diehl Cut Change?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:41 pm

Has anyone else noticed that C & D tobaccos seem to be cut finer than in the past. I've noticed this in bulk Haunted Bookshop and tinned G.L. Pease blends. They used to be more of a course rough cut, but now seem to be more of a thin ribbon/shag. I don't know how I feel about it yet.

Steverino
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Re: Cornell and Diehl Cut Change?

Post by Steverino » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 pm

Yes, I have noticed it in their Dark Burley and White Burley tobaccos. There was information on their blog or somewhere about it. Seems that the machine formerly used to cut the tobacco pretty much died and it had become a maintenance problem anyway. Rather than try to rebuild it they are having the tobacco cut by another vendor. This is really disappointing to me as I really enjoyed the rough cut on the two burley blends I mentioned. The tobacco burns much quicker now with the finer cut. The long burning time is one of the major characteristics of those tobaccos that I enjoyed.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Yeah man!
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Not being a large C&D consumer I noticed nothing.

This trend to finer cut; good, bad, indifferent?
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:40 am

Bad, course cut, good

If I were a regular buyer of tobacco rather than one trying to dwindle a large supply, I would just special order it made in blocks and cut it myself, in the past C&D would acquiest special orders, haven’t tried in years though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis

KYBURLEY
Congregation
Congregation

Post by KYBURLEY » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Steverino wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 pm
Yes, I have noticed it in their Dark Burley and White Burley tobaccos. There was information on their blog or somewhere about it. Seems that the machine formerly used to cut the tobacco pretty much died and it had become a maintenance problem anyway. Rather than try to rebuild it they are having the tobacco cut by another vendor. This is really disappointing to me as I really enjoyed the rough cut on the two burley blends I mentioned. The tobacco burns much quicker now with the finer cut. The long burning time is one of the major characteristics of those tobaccos that I enjoyed.
Oh no! I was hoping it was just me. I just opened a tin of G.L. Pease Abingdon and it's that shag cut too, which makes it burn way too fast. Bummer, it was one of my favorite blends, because of that chunky cut.

Steverino

Post by Steverino » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 pm

I do plan to email them and make my displeasure known, in a nice way of course. I hope to encourage them to either have their cutter rebuilt or acquire another one. I also encourage all who feel the same way to email them and let them know.
Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts; let him return to the Lord, that he may have compassion on him, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. Isaiah 55:6,7 ESV

JohnnyMcPiperson
I want one of those
I want one of those

Post by JohnnyMcPiperson » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:54 am

Indeed, I would think that Gregg would pitch a fit over this... being the stickler for the little details that he is.

I think a good alternative would be to just offer everything in plugs and let people cut their own, I would be fine with this option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Pleasures are shafts of the glory as it strikes our sensibility... Make every pleasure into a channel of adoration." ~C.S. Lewis