Are People Smoking More Aromatics Lately?

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Re: Are People Smoking More Aromatics Lately?

Post by sweetandsour » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:57 am

FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:41 pm
A_Morley wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:51 pm
FredS wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 pm
I smoke aromatics almost exclusively. And VA's. But mostly aero's.

I don't care how anyone else feels about that.

My SS sent a bagged Latakia blend. I left it on the kitchen table while Mrs FredS was doing some paper work there. When I came back through she asked if I'd spilled gasoline, because she smelled gas. I held out the bag of tobacco for her sniff test and she said "OMG!!!! What is that?!?!"

She's not a fan.
What are the aromatics you've found you like the best?
My favorites of what I'd consider American styles are: Scotty's Butternut Burley. Trout Stream. Captain Black White & now Copper. Autumn Evening. I suppose most of those are versions of 1Q with one topping or another amplified slightly, so yes, 1Q makes my list. And I've always considered Prince Albert as an aero. The internet doesn't confirm my feeling on this, but it's a favorite too.

I also like many of the Lakeland (or Lakes District) styles: Bob's Chocolate Flake. Coconut Twist. Ennerdale Flake.

EDIT: Even though I wrote earlier that I don't care how anyone else feels about what I smoke, I do enjoy being able to smoke on the street without having strangers remind me that the sidewalk or the park is a tobacco free zone. That hardly ever happens when I smoke something that smells pleasant to non smokers and it almost always happens when I'm smoking something less pleasant.
Reminds me of a time several years ago, sitting outside the Bull and Bear Tavern on Westheimer in Houston with a Britt co-worker friend. It was windy and he was a first time pipe smoker and having trouble staying lit, and would go inside the pub for re-lights. After a few times, our waitress came outside and sheepishly said he couldn't do that. "We don't blame you", I quickly said. "It's our fault for not smoking aromatics".
She then told us that she liked the aroma personally. Reminded her of her grandfather, etc. I raised my eyebrows and smiled, and my Britt friend fired up again and ordered two more drinks. I forget if they were Guinness or gin and tonic.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:46 am

From what I can determine, the millennials who are now picking up the pipe prefer aromatics. This is just based upon what I’ve read in more noob oriented Pipe forums such as Reddit.

I’m primarily a Latakia smoker, but there is a time now and then that an aromatic feels right and I do have my favorites.
“This country needs an enema.”

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Post by Bloodhound » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:50 pm

I didn't get to go goose hunting this year, but we did have a trip planned and my buddy asked it I would be sure and bring my pipe as he like the smell of the smoke in the pit on a cold morning. But he asked me to leave the tobacco that smelled like a campfire at home. So I remembered that last year I had 3 tobaccos with me for the hunt, Trout Stream, Blockade Runner and Nightcap. I'm guessing it was the Nightcap that he didn't like...
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour

Post by sweetandsour » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:38 pm

JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:33 am
I've noticed and I've even enjoyed a few bowls of them lately. A constant diet of aromatics has no appeal, but sometimes a goopy bowl of syrup hits the spot.

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 am
... golden days of yore...
I'm really enjoying this stuff. To me, it's aromatic qualities are pretty tame and there's a good bit of quality tobacco in the mix. It's been my go-to in the shop the last couple of weeks, pairing really well with sawdust and wood shavings.
I've recently got back into my tin of this. I started a bowl during this mornings drive, and it smoked like a fine Turkish cigarette. Upon re-light after lunch it tasted like an aged Virginia. Another re-light later this afternoon and it had taken on a sweet smokey flavor like the best latakia I ever had. Several different meats from the same turtle, if you will. In a 2010 Luciano POY semi-horn, btw.
I'm old but I'm happy. (Most of the time.)

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:35 pm

sweetandsour wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:38 pm
JimVH wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:33 am
I've noticed and I've even enjoyed a few bowls of them lately. A constant diet of aromatics has no appeal, but sometimes a goopy bowl of syrup hits the spot.

sweetandsour wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:19 am
... golden days of yore...
I'm really enjoying this stuff. To me, it's aromatic qualities are pretty tame and there's a good bit of quality tobacco in the mix. It's been my go-to in the shop the last couple of weeks, pairing really well with sawdust and wood shavings.
I've recently got back into my tin of this. I started a bowl during this mornings drive, and it smoked like a fine Turkish cigarette. Upon re-light after lunch it tasted like an aged Virginia. Another re-light later this afternoon and it had taken on a sweet smokey flavor like the best latakia I ever had. Several different meats from the same turtle, if you will. In a 2010 Luciano POY semi-horn, btw.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Having someone rely on your recommendation is a lot of pressure.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

plainview
Usher
Usher

Post by plainview » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Interesting video on Golden Days of Yore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30FA7MD3fM

DepartedLight
That boy's got a Thorazine deficiency.

Post by DepartedLight » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm

The O in OCPD is for Obsessive.

C&D Autumn Evening.

That should do it.
DL Jake

you win the sneakiness award. » Bloodhound

JimVH
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:18 am

plainview wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 pm
Interesting video on Golden Days of Yore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y30FA7MD3fM
Cool. Thanks.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible