Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:13 pm
Bloodhound wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:55 pm
Was this Sam's business in Hooterville?

Or the Management by Objective family?
:D

I am interested...I like GLP blends and C&D and I am going to order Trafalgar and give it a go and they are 20% off
I ordered Inn of Court and Red Lion. If you order Tafalgar and another, then perhaps we can swap samples?
I opened the tin of Red Lion, and there's no readily discernible tin note at all. A little off the top in a small bowl churchwarden exhibits no flavor whatsoever; just smoke. A little towards the end of the bowl some definite spiciness is noted, presumably from the perique that's advertised as an ingredient. No discernible latakia at all, in neither the tin note nor the bowl. I'll dump the tobacco from the tin, mix well, and then have another go at it.
Here's the Red Lion, immediately after popping the tin and loading a small bowl full ...

I stirred it up a little this morning and it did release a sweet tin note. My nose still doesn't detect any lat however. I'll try another bowl later this morning.

Meanwhile I opened the tin of Inns of Court and tried a bowl.

(The stem is a little loose on the Wally Frank. Must be the cooler weather.) But anyway, it exhibits a very nice, sweet, tin note as well. Its a good mild smoke. For me, mostly the virginias and perique come through. Like my experience with Red Lion, I still don't detect the latakia. But it's still an enjoyable tobacco, lights easily, stays lit, burns well, and could be a good all day smoke.
I'm old but I'm happy.

Bloodhound
Cannot Abide That Devil Weed

Re: Drucquer & Sons

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:44 am

I got an e-mail this morning reference my order for Trafalgar. The e-mail said that due to unexpected demand they were unable to fill my order at this time and my credit card had not been charged. OH well from SS's experience with the two blend being bland, it may be for the best.
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 am

I think you boys blew out your tongues on Latakia bombs and can no longer taste balanced blends. Scrape off the creosote and try again.

Then again, if I enjoy a Latakia blend, there should be the proviso that there isn't too darned much in there.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am

hugodrax wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:04 am
I think you boys blew out your tongues on Latakia bombs and can no longer taste balanced blends. Scrape off the creosote and try again.

Then again, if I enjoy a Latakia blend, there should be the proviso that there isn't too darned much in there.
C&D Sam's Blend like I received from Secret Santa should be just what your doctor is ordering. I too like those that meter the Latakia lightly. McClelland Wilderness is another similar favorite.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

Bloodhound

Post by Bloodhound » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 am

hugodrax wrote:

You may be correct...I have been smoking topped blends and Lat forward blends...I'll hit the Burley and VA blends and see if that opens up lighter blends. I do enjoy Sam's Blend and that isn't to Lat forward...It's all a journey
Scott ( aka - Thor )
Do Justice...Love Mercy...Walk Humbly With Your GOD

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:16 pm

hugodrax wrote:

Perhaps. Based on my taste buds, the tin I have seems to have received no lat, and perhaps more than advertised perique. It actually reminds me a little of a sample I tried during a meet-up with JimVH and StrongIrish, called "Black Pepper", iirc.
I'm old but I'm happy.