McClelland Crop Problems

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Re: McClelland Crop Problems

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:44 pm

I posted about this in the Tobacco Purchase thread, but it applies here, as well. What with McClelland not able to make certain blends I enjoy due to crop issues, I decided to shore up my supply of one of their unaffected and really wonderful blends, Aurora. I have 9 tins of it aging that I don't want to touch, so I got 11 more for only $90 with P&Cs 10% off, and free shipping.

Our Canadian Rusty first told me how great this blend is, and how well it ages, and he was spot on.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/279 ... and-aurora
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:44 pm
I posted about this in the Tobacco Purchase thread, but it applies here, as well. What with McClelland not able to make certain blends I enjoy due to crop issues, I decided to shore up my supply of one of their unaffected and really wonderful blends, Aurora. I have 9 tins of it aging that I don't want to touch, so I got 11 more for only $90 with P&Cs 10% off, and free shipping.

Our Canadian Rusty first told me how great this blend is, and how well it ages, and he was spot on.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/279 ... and-aurora
We don't know exactly what is going on, but Aurora might be affected before the next production year.

Tobacco buyers contract with specific farmers to buy their crops. We can reasonably assume that some of their farmers were unable to deliver a quality product this year. We do not know how much good tobacco McClelland was able to buy; whether it was enough that they will only have to cease production on the aforementioned blends or if, God forbid, they were able to buy none at all. If the latter, even blends like Aurora would be limited to stock-on-hand until next year.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:09 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am
I have a bad feeling that they will not survive this turn of events. Think about it. What company could survive loss of, what, 75% of their product with no foreseeable return of that product? The monthly bills are not going to stop coming in until they get their Va's back.
They'll be fine. They'll just have to lay some folk off. They have too great a name, product,and reputation.
A farmer once told me, "I don't need Vegas. I have all the gambling I can stand right here." Agriculture is a risky business. We should hope and pray that the farmer's don't have two bad years in a row or switch to growing stevia.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:34 pm

coco wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:40 pm
Goose55 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
I have a bad feeling that they will not survive this turn of events. Think about it. What company could survive loss of, what, 75% of their product with no foreseeable return of that product? The monthly bills are not going to stop coming in until they get their Va's back.
They'll be fine. They'll just have to lay some folk off. They have too great a name, product,and reputation.
A farmer once told me, "I don't need Vegas. I have all the gambling I can stand right here." Agriculture is a risky business. We should hope and pray that the farmer's don't have two bad years in a row or switch to growing stevia.
Concise info and posts, Coco. Thanks!

I wonder if the tobacco crops in many places in the South East were very adversely affected by those Hurricanes.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Goose55 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
There's the psychopathic thought process of the international businessman in a nutshell. Just a bunch of people on the dole, right?
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:33 am

Not sure of the impact the problems discussed here have had on McClelland, but I thought I might post the link to provide information about problems faced by southeastern tobacco farmers this year:

http://www.southeastfarmpress.com/tobac ... otted-wilt
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:03 am

I kept checking this thread, waiting for Rusty's take on this news. Very sad, all around.

Looks like some lean years ahead. I'll stock up on my favorites.
I'm old but I'm happy.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:54 pm
Goose55 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
There's the psychopathic thought process of the international businessman in a nutshell. Just a bunch of people on the dole, right?
Its just the way things go. Unemployment insurance is paid into by both the employer and employee for situations just like this. Psychopathy in the workplace is an entirely different and evil thing, playing with people & intentionally destroying people's careers and derailing their lives.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:54 pm
Goose55 wrote:
SlowToke wrote:
Its just the way things go. Unemployment insurance is paid into by both the employer and employee for situations just like this. Psychopathy in the workplace is an entirely different and evil thing, playing with people & intentionally destroying people's careers and derailing their lives.
True enough, but man, I feel for that company. It seems like a labor of love from the top down. I know you do, too.

It's a real loss for the smokers, too. Hope it's but tempr

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm

So, I guess that means that my current limited stash of Cajun Half & Half is all there is for awhile.
“This country needs an enema.”

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:02 pm

wsblevins wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm
So, I guess that means that my current limited stash of Cajun Half & Half is all there is for awhile.
Well, not if you count mine...but generally, yes.

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 pm

But I did learn a new word: Thrip.

Might be a nice derogatory term to throw at someone sometime.
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Heck, you might even use it as an excuse to ditch work and go fishing.

“Afraid I won’t be in today, boss, I’ve come down with a bad dose of the thrips.”

The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:58 pm

durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

“Afraid I won’t be in today, boss, I’ve come down with a bad dose of the thrips.”

What materials do I need to tie some weighted nymph thrips?
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 pm

My concern is that whatever affected McClelland production will have the same effect on other manufacturers.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:40 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:58 pm
durangopipe wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm
JudgeRusty wrote:

What materials do I need to tie some weighted nymph thrips?

This recipe was in the Journal of the Fly Fishing Tobacco Grower, April 1, 1994. Article by I.M. Phulin.

Thrip fly recipe:

#32 TMC 501 hook
8/0 White Thread
8X clear mono
6X clear mono

Tie mono in behind eye of hook. Wrap thread back to bend of hook, then forward back to eye.
Wrap a tapered body with the mono. Leave a space behind the eye. Tie off.
Tie in a 4X mono wing alongside each side of body.
Tie a 1/2” section of 4X mono behind eye, perpendicular to hook shank.
Tie off thread with 3-turn whip behind hook eye.
Carefully melt ends of mono with a lighter to make eyes.

Fish in irrigation ditches beside tobacco fields on 8X tippet. Place small split shot above tippet knot.
Don’t expect to catch much of anything except, maybe, a cold.

durangopipe

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:24 pm

As a consequence of the info in this thread, I took inventory of the McClelland blends that I like that were in my cellar and ordered a few more tins.

This is now the state of McClellands tobacco in my cellar:

12 50g tins of St. James Woods
2 100g tins of No. 24
3 50g tins of No. 24
8 50g tins of Tudor Castle
3 100g tins of 40th Anniversary
1 50g tin of Frog Morton On the Town
1 50g tin of Frog Morton Cellar
1 100g tin of Frog Morton Cellar
6 50g tins of Wilderness

(3 50g tins of G.L. Pease Stonehenge got in the picture accidentally!)

That's it for a while.

JudgeRusty

Post by JudgeRusty » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:27 pm

While I was at Milan's today, a guy called and asked if they sold McClelland 5100. They replied in the affirmative and asked how much the caller wanted to order. He replied "how much you got?" David checked and replied 5 pounds. The caller then ordered all 5 pounds at 72 dollars per pound. I told them about the reported shortage of some Virginias and wondered if the caller was a consumer or a re-seller. The caller's address was for Sioux Falls, in case any of you want to fess up.

wsblevins
Usher
Usher

Post by wsblevins » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:27 pm
While I was at Milan's today, a guy called and asked if they sold McClelland 5100. They replied in the affirmative and asked how much the caller wanted to order. He replied "how much you got?" David checked and replied 5 pounds. The caller then ordered all 5 pounds at 72 dollars per pound. I told them about the reported shortage of some Virginias and wondered if the caller was a consumer or a re-seller. The caller's address was for Sioux Falls, in case any of you want to fess up.
$72 per pound? That’s some serious price gouging.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm

JudgeRusty wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:27 pm
Its a nice blend but not worth that much.

Geez. I should sell some of my 5100 stash.