McClelland Crop Problems

Questions, Reviews, Storage, Etc.
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.

Re: McClelland Crop Problems

Post by FredS » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:54 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:09 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am
I have a bad feeling that they will not survive this turn of events. Think about it. What company could survive loss of, what, 75% of their product with no foreseeable return of that product? The monthly bills are not going to stop coming in until they get their Va's back.
They'll be fine. They'll just have to lay some folk off. They have too great a name, product,and reputation.
There's the psychopathic thought process of the international businessman in a nutshell. Just a bunch of people on the dole, right?
Its just the way things go. Unemployment insurance is paid into by both the employer and employee for situations just like this. Psychopathy in the workplace is an entirely different and evil thing, playing with people & intentionally destroying people's careers and derailing their lives.
True enough, but man, I feel for that company. It seems like a labor of love from the top down. I know you do, too.

It's a real loss for the smokers, too. Hope it's but tempr
McClelland is a very small company. Fewer than 10 employees I think. As a small company, I don't expect they're setting on a lot of cash. I've met some of their people (they're a Kansas City based company) and, like Wayne, I worry for them. I'm going to order up some of my favorite areos from them because I don't expect they'll make it.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:06 pm

FredS wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:53 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:54 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:09 pm
SlowToke wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:53 am
I have a bad feeling that they will not survive this turn of events. Think about it. What company could survive loss of, what, 75% of their product with no foreseeable return of that product? The monthly bills are not going to stop coming in until they get their Va's back.
They'll be fine. They'll just have to lay some folk off. They have too great a name, product,and reputation.
There's the psychopathic thought process of the international businessman in a nutshell. Just a bunch of people on the dole, right?
Its just the way things go. Unemployment insurance is paid into by both the employer and employee for situations just like this. Psychopathy in the workplace is an entirely different and evil thing, playing with people & intentionally destroying people's careers and derailing their lives.
True enough, but man, I feel for that company. It seems like a labor of love from the top down. I know you do, too.

It's a real loss for the smokers, too. Hope it's but tempr
McClelland is a very small company. Fewer than 10 employees I think. As a small company, I don't expect they're setting on a lot of cash. I've met some of their people (they're a Kansas City based company) and, like Wayne, I worry for them. I'm going to order up some of my favorite areos from them because I don't expect they'll make it.
I would not be so grim. They age a lot of their tobaccos so I surmise they have a lot of tobacco yet to be tinned.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

calvinistanglican
Congregation
Congregation

Post by calvinistanglican » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:16 pm

WWRS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:32 pm

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a ... ary-mcniel

The above seems to be tracking this.

The below seems to indicate the cause.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/r ... 80%99s-too
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

durangopipe
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking
Under-secretary to the Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by durangopipe » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks for the links, drax.

Sounds pretty serious.
Further, it seems industry insiders have known for awhile.
It’s all quite sad. I fear for the owners and employees.

I just ordered 3 more tins of 40th anniversary.

My cellar seems, even to me, excessive.
I know many smokers have cellared far more tobacco than I have, but still, it seems like a lot.

But my son who smokes a pipe will likely be grateful - maybe even our grandchildren.
I suspect our tobacco cellar is going to appreciate far more than any other part of their inheritance.
The most improper job of any man, even saints, is bossing other men. Not one in a million is fit for it, and least of all those who seek the opportunity.. J.R.R. Tolkien

2017 Morley - Outstanding BRATASS of the Year

JMG
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission
Bearded Crusader for JUSTICE ... on a Mission

Post by JMG » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 am

The owner of The Country Squire talked with the owners of McClelland yesterday and is doing a The Country Squire Radio show about it if anyone wants to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Qv4X1VJbM
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets."
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." - my dad

Jester
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Jester » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:59 am

JMG wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 am
The owner of The Country Squire talked with the owners of McClelland yesterday and is doing a The Country Squire Radio show about it if anyone wants to check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1Qv4X1VJbM
Thank you
I smoke a cigar because the body is a temple and the temple needs incense. -Michael Knowles

Pumpkin Ale is more American than apple pie! -Tuttle

When chaos manifests itself, what makes you think that anyone tame will be good for anything? -Jordan B. Peterson

sweetandsour
Minister of Pipe Breaking
Minister of Pipe Breaking

Post by sweetandsour » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:05 am

JMG wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 am
Thanks, I watched for as long as I could stand it. They ramble, but it's interesting.
I'm old but I'm happy.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm

Smoking Pipes still had McCl No. 2015 bulk Virginia Perique Flake in stock so I ordered another pound. Recently bought 2 pounds but with this shortage scare I figured better to have extra, as I smoke it fairly regularly.
"At present we're on the wrong side of the door. But all the pages of the New Testament are rustling with the rumor that it will not always be so." ~ C.S. Lewis

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Goose55 wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:08 pm
Smoking Pipes still had McCl No. 2015 bulk Virginia Perique Flake in stock so I ordered another pound. Recently bought 2 pounds but with this shortage scare I figured better to have extra, as I smoke it fairly regularly.
Get as much as you can, I say. I've been buying smaller amounts of the stuff from all the local shops.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Goose55 wrote:
Get as much as you can, I say. I've been buying smaller amounts of the stuff from all the local shops.
Full-bore, sell-your-shirt, apocalyptic hoarding is advisable.
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

JudgeRusty
Didn't even get to wear his hat
Didn't even get to wear his hat

Post by JudgeRusty » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 pm

coco wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
The main idea in hoarding is not getting, but keeping others from getting, right?

Rationing Schmationing
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:08 am

JudgeRusty wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:24 pm
coco wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
The main idea in hoarding is not getting, but keeping others from getting, right?

Rationing Schmationing
:D. I think the difference comes in those right bastiges that profiteer. I wouldn't mind a buckshee couple of pounds of McClelland Va for personal use right about now.

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am

hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
I made it 3 pounds rather than just one. So, I'll have over 5 pounds of the 2015 jarred up. I like it better than the 5100, which I have jarred, too, but not nearly a much. And so, with all that McCl Beacon Extra I bought last month on a whim, and the Aurora, maybe in a few months I can put some of all this up for the highest bidder and make some money.

Tongue in cheek. Really, as I will have to get more 1/2 pint jars to put the 3 pounds of 2015 in, I wonder just how in the world I will ever smoke all this stuff.

coco
Uniquely Duggish
Uniquely Duggish

Post by coco » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am

Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
I made it 3 pounds rather than just one. So, I'll have over 5 pounds of the 2015 jarred up. I like it better than the 5100, which I have jarred, too, but not nearly a much. And so, with all that McCl Beacon Extra I bought last month on a whim, and the Aurora, maybe in a few months I can put some of all this up for the highest bidder and make some money.

Tongue in cheek. Really, as I will have to get more 1/2 pint jars to put the 3 pounds of 2015 in, I wonder just how in the world I will ever smoke all this stuff.
I'll send my address.

:lol:
"Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a cob with a forever lucite stem." (Pipverbs 1:1)
"No more signatures that quote other CPS members." - Thunk

Goose55
Del's Love Child
Del's Love Child

Post by Goose55 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:50 am

coco wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am
Goose55 wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:

I'll send my address. :lol:
I like the cost savings of having 2015 on hand also because it keeps my tins of McClelland VaPers from dissapearing, and maybe get some more age on them. Smoking Pipes apparently still has inventory of bulk 2015, and they haven't marked it up.

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:13 pm

coco wrote:
hugodrax wrote:
Goose55 wrote:
I just ordered 1.5 lb of No. 2015. Thanks for the heads-up.

[/hoardmode]
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

JimVH
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Ramone, the hair dresser with smokin' diapers
Location: I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Post by JimVH » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:28 pm

I have taken a firm stance - no hording. I have more tobacco than I will likely ever smoke and McClelland VAs, though I love them, are not what I crave most.

This is a great departure from my usual tenancies. I am not know for spending restraint.
"Burritos should not crunch." The Bible

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:11 pm

JimVH wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:28 pm
I have taken a firm stance - no hording. I have more tobacco than I will likely ever smoke and McClelland VAs, though I love them, are not what I crave most.

This is a great departure from my usual tenancies. I am not know for spending restraint.
:D

wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Post by wosbald » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:47 pm

+JMJ+

And so pass also the days of Gondor that you have known; for good or evil they are ended.

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima