THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
wosbald
Crux' Cleveland Correspondent

Re: THE CATHOLIC THREAD

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:28 am

+JMJ+

Homily of Pope Francis' Canonization Mass for 35 new saints
Pope Francis' pastoral staff is hit by a ray of sun during the Canonization Mass for 35 new saints in St. Peter's Square - AP

(Vatican Radio) Inviting all faithful to practice Christian love every day, Pope Francis on Sunday canonized 35 new saints, nearly all of them martyrs, holding them up as models who “point the way”.

To the over 35,000 pilgrims gathered in St. Peter's Square for the Canonization Mass, he said “They did not say a fleeting ‘yes’ to love, they said ‘yes’ with their lives and to the very end”.

Those canonized included thirty martyrs, both priests and lay persons, who suffered anti-Catholic persecution in 1645 at the hands of Dutch Calvinists in Brazil, while three indigenous children in 16th century Mexico were martyred for refusing to renounce their Catholic faith and return to their ancient traditions. The other two new saints are a 20th-century priest from Spain and an Italian priest who died in 1739.

Please find below the full text of the Pope’s homily for the Mass of Canonization:

"In the end, My Immaculate Heart will triumph." - Our Lady of Fatima

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:18 am

+JMJ+

In new book, Francis calls honest interviews a 'pastoral risk' to create church of dialogue

ROME — Pope Francis says in a new book that he chooses to give interviews and to speak freely in press conferences as part of his desire to create a Catholic Church that understands how to dialogue with the people of today.

The pontiff adds that while he knows giving such interviews entails the possibility of being misinterpreted he wants to run that "pastoral risk" in order to have direct communication with people.

[…]

"I know that I have to be prudent, and I hope to be so," the pope states. "I always pray to the Holy Spirit before I start listening to the questions and answering. And as I must not lose prudence, I must also not lose trust. I know that this can make me vulnerable, but it's a risk that I want to run."

[…]

"Yes, I have a fear of being poorly interpreted," says the pontiff. "But, I repeat, I want to run this pastoral risk." …

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 am

I'm not complaining about all of the CRUX articles.... but their presence here does give the impression that Catholics are mostly concerned about the politics of Church governance and the Vatican's view of secular governments.

This is of little concern to most Catholics. It does not affect us much.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:48 am

+JMJ+

Renewal of CBCP broadcast franchise not acted upon by House

MANILA, Philippines – The House of Representatives has failed to renew the broadcast franchise of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) for its television and radio service, which expired last August 7.

House Bill No. 4820 seeking the extension of the franchise for another 25 years was filed January this year, but it remained mired at the committee level.

“It has been referred to the committee on legislative franchises, and it is awaiting hearing,” Albay Representative Joey Salceda, the bill’s author, said.

The measure asks Congress to extend the CBCP franchise that will allow it to “construct, install, establish, operate and maintain radio and/or television broadcasting stations in the Philippines.”

A 25-year term was earlier granted to CBCP under Republic Act No. 7530. …

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 am

Whoop.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 am

+JMJ+

Does the Pope’s Development of Doctrine on the Death Penalty Turn Catholics into Pacifists?
… However, the grounds on which the Pope's position [on the death penalty] appear to depend could require far more revision of Church teaching than anyone has yet noted, including the concepts of just war and killing in self-defense.

The Pope, in his remarks, bases his opposition to the death penalty on the idea that it is a violation of human dignity. …

[…]

The Pope concludes, “It is necessary, therefore, to reaffirm that no matter how serious the crime that has been committed, the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attack on the inviolability and the dignity of the person.” Such a strong position on the meaning of “human dignity” is dangerous, because it equates “dignity” with the integrity (the “inviolability”) of the human body.

[…]

Indeed, the choice of the word “inviolability” appears to threaten even the idea of deliberately causing bodily injury to another person, let alone killing them. Is not disabling someone an attack on their “inviolability”? At the very least, this line of thought conjures up images of a supine society in which murderers, rapists and foreign armies wander the streets unchecked. The Church has intentionally developed its position to avoid endorsing such total pacifism. If Pope Francis would like to endorse it now, it will be necessary to determine how human societies can exist without ever inflicting just punishment on anyone, and this will require dramatic changes to the Church's understanding of political theory, human nature, and justice.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 am

Pfffft

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 am

+JMJ+

Scholars Debate Impact of Pope Francis’ Statement on Death Penalty
The lethal injection room at San Quentin State Prison. (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation via Wikimedia Commons)

Pope Francis’ recent condemnation of the death penalty builds upon rather than breaks with the teaching of his predecessors and bolsters Catholic efforts to repeal capital punishment, according to several theologians.

“The Pope’s remarks are likely to reinforce the teaching of John Paul II, which has been strongly resisted by pro-capital punishment Catholics,” said Christian Brugger, a theologian who has authored a book on the death penalty and serves as a senior fellow on ethics at the Culture of Life Foundation.

However, other Catholic scholars on the death penalty who hold that Church teaching does not prohibit capital punishment in all cases have expressed a somewhat different view, arguing that Pope Francis’ remarks should not be interpreted as definitively ending the debate.

[…]

However, some caution against reading too much into the Pope’s remarks. One is Edward Feser, a Catholic philosopher at Pasadena City College and co-author of By Man Shall His Blood Be Shed: A Catholic Defense of Capital Punishment, which argues in favor of the death penalty.

True, Pope Francis has spoken in strong terms about the incompatibility of the death penalty and the Gospel. But the Holy Father also insisted that he was “not in any way contradicting past teaching” or “changing doctrine,” Feser added.

“If that is really the case, then his more extreme remarks about capital punishment would have to be interpreted as speaking very loosely and rhetorically, rather than having any novel doctrinal significance,” Feser said. …

Del

Post by Del » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 am

wosbald wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 am
+JMJ+

Scholars Debate Impact of Pope Francis’ Statement on Death Penalty
The lethal injection room at San Quentin State Prison. (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation via Wikimedia Commons)

Pope Francis’ recent condemnation of the death penalty builds upon rather than breaks with the teaching of his predecessors and bolsters Catholic efforts to repeal capital punishment, according to several theologians.

“The Pope’s remarks are likely to reinforce the teaching of John Paul II, which has been strongly resisted by pro-capital punishment Catholics,” said Christian Brugger, a theologian who has authored a book on the death penalty and serves as a senior fellow on ethics at the Culture of Life Foundation.

However, other Catholic scholars on the death penalty who hold that Church teaching does not prohibit capital punishment in all cases have expressed a somewhat different view, arguing that Pope Francis’ remarks should not be interpreted as definitively ending the debate.

[…]

However, some caution against reading too much into the Pope’s remarks. One is Edward Feser, a Catholic philosopher at Pasadena City College and co-author of By Man Shall His Blood Be Shed: A Catholic Defense of Capital Punishment, which argues in favor of the death penalty.

True, Pope Francis has spoken in strong terms about the incompatibility of the death penalty and the Gospel. But the Holy Father also insisted that he was “not in any way contradicting past teaching” or “changing doctrine,” Feser added.

“If that is really the case, then his more extreme remarks about capital punishment would have to be interpreted as speaking very loosely and rhetorically, rather than having any novel doctrinal significance,” Feser said. …
Nothing is budging on the doctrine of capital punishment. It is like the ordination of married men to the priesthood: Permissible under certain specific and extreme circumstances, but mostly not a good or prudent choice.

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Del

Post by Del » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:30 pm

This is a link to the YouTube Channel of Steve the Missionary.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SteveTheMissionary

Steve is a friend of Cigarson. They were FOCUS missionaries at the same time, though at different campuses. Now he works for a diocese in California.

His podcast channel is pretty good. Enjoy surfing around.

He also contributes to PATHEOS.

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:38 pm

This thread has gone to poo.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 am

+JMJ+
Del wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:03 am
Nothing is budging on the doctrine of capital punishment. It is like the ordination of married men to the priesthood: Permissible under certain specific and extreme circumstances, but mostly not a good or prudent choice.
I concur. But that wont necessarily preclude the need for antacids along the way. In that vein, it should prolly be noted that, IIRC, Pope Bl Pius IX wanted certain things (ultramontanistic and/or anthropological formulae) from Vatican I which, had he gotten them, would have been similarly catastrophic.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 am

+JMJ+

Pope decries ‘eugenic tendency’ to eradicate people with disabilities
Pope Francis receives a present from persons with disabilities, at the Nunciature in Bogota, Colombia, Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017. (AP Photo/Ivan Valencia)

Pope Francis said Saturday that a "eugenic tendency" to suppress the "unborn with some imperfection" is product of a "narcissistic and utilitarian vision." A mentality of "rejection” prevails, as if people with disabilities weren’t capable of being happy, the pontiff said, addressing participants at an international conference on catechesis for people with disabilities.

ROME - Pope Francis on Saturday condemned what he called a “eugenic tendency” to prevent babies found by prenatal tests to have imperfections from being born, saying it’s part of a strong prejudice against people with disabilities.

“At a cultural level, there are still expressions that undermine the dignity of [people with disabilities], due to the prevalence of a false conception of life,” Francis said on Saturday.

“An often narcissistic and utilitarian vision leads, unfortunately, many to consider people with disabilities as marginalized, without seeing in them a multiform human and spiritual wealth,” he added.

The mentality of a “rejection” prevails, the pope said, as if people with disabilities weren’t capable of being happy and self-realizing. This, he said, is proven by the “eugenic tendency to suppress the unborn ones who have some form of imperfection.” …

hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy

Post by hugodrax » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:00 am

Yo, Wos-Bot 2.0, can I ask a favor? Stop baiting the Del. He's biting his fingernails trying to resist the temptation.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:35 am

+JMJ+

Okay, everybody, we're back to ZEITCON 5.

Zeitguy's breathing easy again. Nothing to see here. Move along.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 am

+JMJ+

Pope tells Sarah power is indeed shifting from Rome to the bishops
Cardinal Robert Sarah, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments at the Vatican, Feb. 10, 2015. (Credit: Bohumil Petrik via CNA.)

In a rare move, Pope Francis has issued a public letter to one of his own cardinals correcting his interpretation of one of the pontiff's decisions. In a missive dated Oct. 15, Francis tells Cardinal Robert Sarah of Guinea, head of the Vatican's liturgical department, that the pope's recent document 'Magnum Principium' does indeed mean a power shift away from Rome and toward local bishops' conferences.

[…]

In particular, Francis appeared to want to be sure Sarah is clear on two other points.

First, the pontiff insisted, the intensity of review the Vatican congregation can now carry out on proposed translations by bishops’ conferences has indeed changed.

Before, the conferences were required to get a recognitio from Rome, which implied a detailed line-by-line analysis and the possibility of requiring multiple changes before approval would be bestowed. Now the requirement is only for a confirmatio, which, as Francis wrote to Sarah, “does not envision a detailed word-by-word examination.”

[…]

Second, Francis also wanted Sarah to be clear that Liturgiam Authenticam, a 2001 document under John Paul II seen by many observers as the high-water mark of the centralizing push, is no longer fully in force because certain articles were clearly abrogated by Magnum Principium.

Magnum Principium does not sustain anymore that translations must conform in all points to the norms of Liturgicam Authenticam,” Francis wrote. …

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 pm

+JMJ+

New shrine enables Catholics to renew devotion to Fatima, says bishop
Deacon James T. Munuhe of St. James Church in Charles Town, W.Va., helps bless the parish's new Our Lady of Fatima Shrine during its Oct. 14 dedication. (Credit: CNS photo/Colleen Rowan, The Catholic Spirit.)

At the center of the new shrine at St. James Church, is a statue of Our Lady of the Rosary with statues of the three children of Fatima kneeling and praying before her. The statues of the children are spaced so that those who visit can kneel between them and pray.

CHARLES TOWN, West Virginia - A new shrine to Our Lady of Fatima in West Virginia invites Catholics “to live the Fatima message with renewed commitment and gives us the means to do so,” said Bishop Michael J. Bransfield of Wheeling-Charleston.

The new shrine next to St. James Church in Charles Town will enable Catholics “to pray the rosary with greater devotion and to be renewed in our dedication to the Immaculate Heart of Mary,” the bishop said to the congregation at Mass Oct. 14. Following the liturgy, he dedicated the new shrine.

[…]

At the center of the new shrine is a statue of Our Lady of the Rosary with statues of the three children of Fatima kneeling and praying before her. The statues of the children are spaced so that those who visit can kneel between them and pray.

Another statue is of St. John Paul II. He is holding a bullet, which recalls the assassination attempt on his life on the feast of Our Lady of Fatima May 13, 1981. He is giving thanks to Mary for saving his life. The image of a second bullet is in the crown of the statue of Our Lady of the Rosary. (Two bullets lodged in the pope’s lower intestine.)

The third statue is of the Angel of Peace, who also appeared to the children at Fatima.

The shrine is encased by a 2-and-a-half-foot wall with four semicircles, each featuring the mysteries of the rosary. In between each one of those semicircles are two angular walls with a bronze plaque and a picture showing part of a Fatima apparition. The floor of the shrine depicts the rosary.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:20 am

hugodrax wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:00 am
Yo, Wos-Bot 2.0, can I ask a favor? Stop baiting the Del. He's biting his fingernails trying to resist the temptation.
You guys don't need me to point out the obvious: The Left's lust for eugenics and racism did not end with Hitler.
Last edited by Del on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Del

Post by Del » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am

wosbald wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:15 am
+JMJ+

Pope tells Sarah power is indeed shifting from Rome to the bishops
Cardinal Robert Sarah, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments at the Vatican, Feb. 10, 2015. (Credit: Bohumil Petrik via CNA.)

In a rare move, Pope Francis has issued a public letter to one of his own cardinals correcting his interpretation of one of the pontiff's decisions. In a missive dated Oct. 15, Francis tells Cardinal Robert Sarah of Guinea, head of the Vatican's liturgical department, that the pope's recent document 'Magnum Principium' does indeed mean a power shift away from Rome and toward local bishops' conferences.

[…]

In particular, Francis appeared to want to be sure Sarah is clear on two other points.

First, the pontiff insisted, the intensity of review the Vatican congregation can now carry out on proposed translations by bishops’ conferences has indeed changed.

Before, the conferences were required to get a recognitio from Rome, which implied a detailed line-by-line analysis and the possibility of requiring multiple changes before approval would be bestowed. Now the requirement is only for a confirmatio, which, as Francis wrote to Sarah, “does not envision a detailed word-by-word examination.”

[…]

Second, Francis also wanted Sarah to be clear that Liturgiam Authenticam, a 2001 document under John Paul II seen by many observers as the high-water mark of the centralizing push, is no longer fully in force because certain articles were clearly abrogated by Magnum Principium.

Magnum Principium does not sustain anymore that translations must conform in all points to the norms of Liturgicam Authenticam,” Francis wrote. …
What we are seeing is the Holy Spirit's guidance as the Church reverts to middle way.... by the proverb that "we should always follow a fat pope with a thin one."

Undisciplined, radical reformers ran amok in the decades following Vatican II. Goofball Liturgies, sex scandals, and millions of uncatechized Catholics wandering aimlessly away from lukewarm parishes.

John Paul II and Benedict worked to rein the extremes and set a foundation for an authentic implementation of Vatican II. (JPII stated explicitly that this was the theme of his pontificate.)

Now Francis is able to pick the theme of openness and experimentation again, somewhere near the point where Paul VI started. Only we are all much wiser now. We can do this while increasing religious vocations.... instead of losing all the good ones and terrorizing altar boys.

wosbald

Post by wosbald » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 pm

+JMJ+

Updated: In Myanmar, Pope Francis' words will be monitored closely
St. Mary's Cathedral in Yangon, Myanmar, is seen Oct. 15. Pope Francis will visit the southeast Asian country Nov. 27-30. (CNS photo/Paul Jeffery) See MYANMAR-POPE-WORDS Oct. 24, 2017.

YANGON, Myanmar (CNS) -- When Pope Francis visits Myanmar in late November, church leaders will be listening nervously to his every word, specifically hoping they don't hear the R-word. Any mention by name of the Rohingya, a Muslim group widely hated in this predominantly Buddhist country, will have widespread implications here.

"The pope's visit is keeping us very anxious, as many things can go wrong. A wrong word from the Holy Father can plunge the country into chaos," said Father Mariano Soe Naing, communications director for Myanmar's bishops.

"If the Holy Father in his speech evens mentions the Rohingya, the nationalist groups will respond. This is a historic problem, and we need a lot of time to solve this problem. We cannot just say this or that. That is the reason why Aung San Suu Kyi cannot say anything," he said, referring to the de facto leader of Myanmar's civilian government, who has been criticized internationally for failing to speak out against the military's actions against Rohingya in northern Rakhine state. …