THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Now that I secured the enthusiastic blessing of the Orthodox members here I have decided to begin this thread. This thread is meant to be by and for the Orthodox and those particularly interested in what we are talking about. A place to share Orthodox news, humor and quotes from our saints and teachers. The Orthodox Church is a large worldwide body and it is good to know what the other Orthodox in other jurisdictions are up to. Most importantly for us here anyway, I hope this will be a blessing to those of us who are Orthodox.

So I will start this thread with the following quote:
"The good God has given them a share in His own Image, that is, in our Lord Jesus Christ, and has made even themselves after the same Image and Likeness. Why? Simply in order that through this gift of God-likeness in themselves they may be able to perceive the Image Absolute, that is the Word Himself, and through Him to apprehend the Father; which knowledge of their Maker is for men the only really happy and blessed life." -- St. Athanasius the Great (On the Incarnation)

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:00 pm

40 Maxims for Christian Living in the New Year

By Father Thomas Hopko

Be always with Christ and trust God in everything.
Go to Church, confession and communion regularly.
Read the Scriptures regularly.
Spend some time in silence each day.
Pray as you can and not as you want.
Keep a rule of prayer.
Say the Lord's Prayer several times a day.
Do some prostrations when you pray.
Have a short prayer (like the Jesus Prayer) that you constantly repeat when your mind is not occupied
with other things.
Cultivate communion with the saints.
Have a daily schedule of activities, avoiding whim and caprice.
Have a healthy, wholesome hobby.
Eat good foods in moderation. Fast as the Church teaches.
Exercise regularly.
Read good books a little at a time.
Face reality. Don't get lost in imagination and fantasy.
Be totally honest, first of all with yourself.
Do your work.
Do the most difficult and painful things first.
Be faithful in little things.
Do acts of mercy and compassion secretly.
Be grateful in all things.
Be cheerful.
Be simple, hidden and quiet. Never draw attention to yourself.
Be awake and attentive, fully present where you are.
Be polite with everyone.
Listen carefully when people speak to you.
When speaking, speak simply, clearly, firmly and directly.
Don't complain, grumble, murmur or whine.
Accept criticism gratefully and test it carefully.
Don't defend or justify yourself.
Don't seek or expect either pity or praise from others.
Be strict with yourself and merciful with others.
Don't compare yourself with anyone else.
Don't judge anyone for anything.
Give advice only when asked or obligated to do so.
Have no expectations except to be fiercely tempted to your last breath.
Endure the trial of yourself and your own faults and sins serenely, knowing that God's mercy is greater than your wretchedness.
Get help when you need it, without fear or shame.
When you fall, get up immediately and start over.

AFRS
Darth Floof-Floof
Darth Floof-Floof

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by AFRS » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Thunktank wrote:
So I will start this thread with the following quote:
how unorthodox!

Baines
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Baines » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:19 pm

I'm looking forward to this thread. I pray it will be for the edification of the Orthodox Christians among us, as well as anybody else who reads.
Lord, save me whether I will it or not...-St. John Chrysostom

That's not a pipe, that's a pipe!

http://www.tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1223

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:20 pm

"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

josephrbray
Elder
Elder

Post by josephrbray » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Bartholomew made a historic visit to Benedict XVI recently. While visiting the Pope's Vatican office he noticed a large red telephone on the desk. Hesitantly the Ecumenical Patriarch asked, "Is that what I think it is?" "A hotline to the Big Guy?" "Yes," replied Bartholomew, "I left a lot of work back in Constantinople. Would you mind if I used it?" "Well I suppose, but lets try to keep it brief." said Papa Benny.

After the Patriarch hung up he was thankful and said, "Oh thank you; what do I owe you for the phone call?" Pope Benedict pulled out his rather large calculator and proceeded to type furiously away on it. After adding up the digits he came up with the total, "$431.69" "Oh, uh... wow. Okay." Bartholomew thinking it was quite a large number pulled out his checkbook and wrote out the amount.

At the Pope's visit to Constantinople a similar event occurred. The Pope noticed a large red telephone on the Patriarch's desk and asked to use it. The Patriarch consenting, the Pope picked up the telephone and went on to talk to the Holy Trinity. (Would that be a conference call?) The telephone call went on and on. Finally after almost two hours the Pope hung up. "Oh, I'm sooo sorry. I didn't think it would take so long. What do I owe you?" Without hesitation Bartholomew replied, "35 cents." "Thirty-five cents? How can it be so cheap?" asked Pope Benedict.

Bartholomew responded, "Oh, its a local call."
Pack it and light it.

SHEMH2004
Elder
Elder

Post by SHEMH2004 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:18 pm

I'm diggin' this thread. I am Baptist, but I enjoy reading other view points and teachings and thoughts in Christianity as a whole. I especially like the "Top 40"...solid teachings. I look forward to seeing what everyone else posts up! :)
SlowToke on 1/6/10:
"...Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy.." Myself on 2/17/10: "Sola Porcus!!"
--James 5:20, 1 Peter 1:13, 1 Corinthians 4:1-5
--Photography Portfolio:
http://uniquetouchphotography.zenfo

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm

josephrbray wrote:Bartholomew made a historic visit to Benedict XVI recently. While visiting the Pope's Vatican office he noticed a large red telephone on the desk. Hesitantly the Ecumenical Patriarch asked, "Is that what I think it is?" "A hotline to the Big Guy?" "Yes," replied Bartholomew, "I left a lot of work back in Constantinople. Would you mind if I used it?" "Well I suppose, but lets try to keep it brief." said Papa Benny.

After the Patriarch hung up he was thankful and said, "Oh thank you; what do I owe you for the phone call?" Pope Benedict pulled out his rather large calculator and proceeded to type furiously away on it. After adding up the digits he came up with the total, "$431.69" "Oh, uh... wow. Okay." Bartholomew thinking it was quite a large number pulled out his checkbook and wrote out the amount.

At the Pope's visit to Constantinople a similar event occurred. The Pope noticed a large red telephone on the Patriarch's desk and asked to use it. The Patriarch consenting, the Pope picked up the telephone and went on to talk to the Holy Trinity. (Would that be a conference call?) The telephone call went on and on. Finally after almost two hours the Pope hung up. "Oh, I'm sooo sorry. I didn't think it would take so long. What do I owe you?" Without hesitation Bartholomew replied, "35 cents." "Thirty-five cents? How can it be so cheap?" asked Pope Benedict.

<redacted_emoji>
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 pm

I gather that most Orthodox Christians have a devoted relationship with patron saints.

Tell us about your patron saints!
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

Monarchist
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by Monarchist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:17 am

Del wrote:I gather that most Orthodox Christians have a devoted relationship with patron saints.

Tell us about your patron saints!
St, Nicholas - what else can I say? :wink: :lol:

Troparion (Tone IV)

The truth of things revealed thee to thy flock as a rule of faith,/ a model of meekness, and a teacher of temperance./ Therefore thou hast won the heights by humility,/ riches by poverty./ Holy Father Nicholas, intercede with Christ our God that our souls may be saved.

Kontakion (Tone III)

Thou wast a faithful minister of God in Myra,/ O Saint Nicholas./ For having fulfilled the Gospel of Christ,/ thou didst die for the people and save the innocent./ Therefore thou wast sanctified as a great initiator of the grace of God.

Saint Nicholas, famed throughout the entire world today, was the only son of his eminent and wealthy parents, Theophanes and Nona, citizens of Patara in Lycia. They dedicated to God the only son He gave them. St. Nicholas was instructed in the spiritual life by his uncle Nicholas, Bishop of Patara (see below), and became a monk at 'New Sion', a monastery founded by his uncle. On the death of his parents, Nicholas distributed all the property he inherited to the poor and kept nothing back for himself. As a priest in Patara, he was known for his charitable works, fulfilling the Lord's words: 'Let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth' (Matt. 6:3). When he embraced a life of solitude and silence, thinking to live in that way until his death, a voice from on high came to him: 'Nicholas, set about your work among the people if you desire to receive a crown from Me.'

Immediately after that, by God's wondrous providence, he was chosen as archbishop of the city of Myra in Lycia. Merciful, wise and fearless, Nicholas was a true shepherd to his flock. He was cast into prison during the persecutions of Diocletian and Maximian, but even there continued to instruct the people in the Law of God. He was present at the First Ecumenical Council in Nicaea in 325, and, in his zeal, struck Arius with his hand. For this act, he was removed from the Council and from his episcopal duties, until some of the chief hierarchs had a vision of our Lord Christ and His most holy Mother showing their sympathy with Nicholas.

This wonderful saint was a defender of the truth of God, and was ever a spirited champion of justice among the people. On two occasions, he saved three men from undeserved sentences of death. Merciful, trustworthy and loving right, he walked among the people like an angel of God. People considered him a saint even during his lifetime, and invoked his aid when in torment or distress. He would appear both in dreams and in reality to those who called upon him for help, responding speedily to them, whether close at hand or far away. His face would shine with light as Moses' did aforetime, and his mere presence among people would bring solace, peace and goodwill. In old age, he sickened of a slight illness, and went to his rest in the Lord after a life full of labor and fruitful toil. He now enjoys eternal happiness in the Kingdom of heaven, continuing to help the faithful on earth by his miracles, and to spread the glory of God. He entered into rest on December 6th, 343.
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian

Thunktank

Post by Thunktank » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:44 pm

As a person whose singing voice is not up to choir duty I have not joined the chanters and learned to chant yet. Non-the-less it is a skill I wish to learn. Fortunately, 'The Illumined Heart' with host Kevin Allen will be doing a few podcasts with Dr. Stephen Kouri regarding Byzantine style chant. I'm looking forward to it.

Byzantine Chant

Monarchist

Post by Monarchist » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Wednesday, January 7, 2010 (Julian Calendar)
33rd week after Pentacost Tone 7 Fast Day, Fish, oil, and wine allowed.

ASSEMBLAGE ("SOBOR" OR SYNAXIS") OF THE FORERUNNER AND BAPTIST OF THE LORD, JOHN.

In the Orthodox Church the custom was established, that on the day following the Great Feasts of the Lord and the Mother of God, would be remembered those saints who most essentially participated in whichever the sacred event. And thus, on the day following after the Theophany of the Lord, the Church honours he that participated directly in the Baptism of Christ, indeed placing his own hand upon the head of the Saviour. Saint John, the holy Forerunner and Baptist of the Lord, termed by our Lord the greatest of the prophets, both concludes the history of the Old Testament and opens up the epoch of the New Testament. The holy Prophet John gave witness concerning the arrival on earth of the Only-Begotten Son of God, incarnated humanly in the flesh. Saint John was deemed worthy to baptise Him in the waters of the Jordan and he was a witness of the Theophany or Manifestation of the MostHoly Trinity on the day of the Baptism of the Saviour. The holy Prophet John was a kinsman of the Lord on His mother's side, the son of the Priest Zachariah and Righteous Elizabeth. The holy Forerunner of the Lord, John, was born six months earlier than Christ Jesus. The Archangel Gabriel was the messenger of his birth, in the Jerusalem Temple revealing to his father, that for him a son was to be born. Through the prayers offered up beforehand, the child was filled with the Holy Spirit. Saint John prepared himself in the wilds of the desert for his great service by a strict life, by fasting, prayer and sympathy for the fate of God's people. At the age of about 30 years he came forth preaching repentance. He appeared at the banks of the Jordan, by his preaching to prepare the people for acceptance of the Saviour of the world. In the expression of churchly song, Saint John was a "bright morning star", whose gleaming outshone the shining of all the other stars, announcing the coming morning of the day of grace, illumined with the light of the spiritual Son, -- our Lord Jesus Christ. Having baptised the sinless Lamb of God, Saint John soon died a martyr's death, beheaded by the sword on orders of king Herod in fulfilling the request of his daughter Salome. (About Saint John the Baptist, vide: Mt. 3: 1-16, 11: 1-19, 14: 1-12; Mk. 1: 2-8, 6: 14-29; Lk. 1: 5-25, 39-80, 3: 1-20, 7: 18-35, 9: 7-9; Jn. 1: 19-34, 3: 22-26).

On this day is commemorated also the Transfer of the Right Hand of the holy Forerunner from Antioch to Tsargrad (956) and the Miracle of Saint John the Forerunner against the Hagarites (Mahometans) at Chios:
The body of Saint John the Baptist was buried in the Samaritan city of Sebasteia. The holy Evangelist Luke, in making the rounds preaching Christ in various cities and towns, came in time to Sebasteia, where they gave over to him the right hand of the holy Prophet John, the very hand with which he had baptised the Saviour. The Evangelist Luke took it with him to his native city of Antioch. When the Mahometans centuries later seized possession of Antioch, a deacon named Job transported the holy hand of the Forerunner from Antioch to Chalcedon. From there, on the very eve of the Theophany of the Lord, it was transferred to Constantinople (956) and kept thereafter. In the year 1200 the Russian pilgrim Dobrynya -- who was later to be come the holy Archbishop of Novgorod Antonii (Comm. 10 February), saw the right hand of the Forerunner in the imperial palaces. From the Acts of the Saints it is known, that in the year 1263 during the seizure of Constantinople by the Crusaders, the emperor Baldwin gave over one bone from the wrist of Saint John the Baptist to Ottonus de Cichon, who then gave it over to a Cistercian abbey in France. The right hand continued to be kept in Constantinople. And at the end of the XIV thru beginning XV Centuries the holy relic was seen at Constantinople in the Peribleptos monastery by the Russian pilgrims: Stefan Novgorodets, deacon Ignatii, the cantor Alexander and deacon Zosima. But with the capture of Constantinople by the Turks in 1453, sacred objects were gathered up at the whim of the conqueror and preserved in the imperial treasury, all locked up.
In the Acts of the Saints is presented clear testimony, that in the year 1484 the right hand of the holy Forerunner was given away by the son of the Mahometan sultan Bayazet to the Rhodes knights to gain their good-will, since a dangerous rival for Bayazet -- his own brother, had situated himself amongst them. And about this event there speaks also a contemporary participant, the Rhodes vice-chancellor Wilhelm Gaorsan Gallo. The Rhodes knights, having established their base on the island of Malta (in the Mediterranean Sea), then transferred to Malta the sacred relic they had received. When the Russian emperor Paul I (1796-1801) became grand-master of the Maltese Order in honour of the holy Prophet John, the right hand of the Baptist, part of the Life-Creating Cross and the Philermian Icon of the Mother of God were transferred in the year 1799 [because of the Napoleonic threat] from the island of Malta to Russia, to the chapel at Gatchina (Comm. 12 October). In the same year these sacred items were then transferred into the church in honour of the Saviour Icon Not-Made-by-Hand at the Winter palace. And for this feast was compiled a special service.
Besides the Assemblage ("Sobor" or "Synaxis") of the venerable glorious Prophet, Forerunner and Baptist of the Lord, John, the Russian Orthodox Church celebrates his memory on the following days: 23 September -- his Conception (2 B.C.); 24 June -- his Birth (1 B.C.); 29 August -- his Beheading (+ c. 32); 24 February -- the First (IV) and Second (452) Finding of the Head; the Third Finding of the Head (c. 850); 12 October -- the Transfer of the Right Hand from Malta to Gatchina (1799).

© 2000 by translator Fr. S. Janos.
"Never say that God is just. If He were just you would be in hell. Rely only on His injustice which is mercy, love, and forgiveness." - St. Isaac the Syrian

Walkman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Walkman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:12 pm

Del wrote:Tell us about your patron saints!
James the Lesser
“The smoke, like burning incense, tow´rs; So should a praying heart of yours, With ardent cries, Surmount the skies. Thus think, and smoke tobacco.” Ralph Erskine

Walkman
Pastor
Pastor

Post by Walkman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Thunktank wrote:40 Maxims for Christian Living in the New Year

By Father Thomas Hopko

Be always with Christ and trust God in everything.
Go to Church, confession and communion regularly.
Read the Scriptures regularly.
Spend some time in silence each day.
Pray as you can and not as you want.
Keep a rule of prayer.
Say the Lord's Prayer several times a day.
Do some prostrations when you pray.
Have a short prayer (like the Jesus Prayer) that you constantly repeat when your mind is not occupied
with other things.
Cultivate communion with the saints.
Have a daily schedule of activities, avoiding whim and caprice.
Have a healthy, wholesome hobby.
Eat good foods in moderation. Fast as the Church teaches.
Exercise regularly.
Read good books a little at a time.
Face reality. Don't get lost in imagination and fantasy.
Be totally honest, first of all with yourself.
Do your work.
Do the most difficult and painful things first.
Be faithful in little things.
Do acts of mercy and compassion secretly.
Be grateful in all things.
Be cheerful.
Be simple, hidden and quiet. Never draw attention to yourself.
Be awake and attentive, fully present where you are.
Be polite with everyone.
Listen carefully when people speak to you.
When speaking, speak simply, clearly, firmly and directly.
Don't complain, grumble, murmur or whine.
Accept criticism gratefully and test it carefully.
Don't defend or justify yourself.
Don't seek or expect either pity or praise from others.
Be strict with yourself and merciful with others.
Don't compare yourself with anyone else.
Don't judge anyone for anything.
Give advice only when asked or obligated to do so.
Have no expectations except to be fiercely tempted to your last breath.
Endure the trial of yourself and your own faults and sins serenely, knowing that God's mercy is greater than your wretchedness.
Get help when you need it, without fear or shame.
When you fall, get up immediately and start over.
Wonderful maxims. Thanks for posting this, Mon.
“The smoke, like burning incense, tow´rs; So should a praying heart of yours, With ardent cries, Surmount the skies. Thus think, and smoke tobacco.” Ralph Erskine

SouthernGent
Usher
Usher

Post by SouthernGent » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:55 pm

josephrbray wrote:Bartholomew made a historic visit to Benedict XVI recently. While visiting the Pope's Vatican office he noticed a large red telephone on the desk. Hesitantly the Ecumenical Patriarch asked, "Is that what I think it is?" "A hotline to the Big Guy?" "Yes," replied Bartholomew, "I left a lot of work back in Constantinople. Would you mind if I used it?" "Well I suppose, but lets try to keep it brief." said Papa Benny.

I'll have to remember to tell that next time at church.
<div>至聖之上帝,至聖及大能之上帝,至聖及永生之上帝,憐憫我們。</div><br>

SouthernGent
Usher
Usher

Post by SouthernGent » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:56 pm

And remember, fish sticks don't have backbones. :D

SouthernGent
Usher
Usher

Post by SouthernGent » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Did I breach etiquette here? Was it a bad idea to post here only being curious about Orthodoxy and not Orthodox yet?

josephrbray
Elder
Elder

Post by josephrbray » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:48 pm

SouthernGent wrote:Did I breach etiquette here? Was it a bad idea to post here only being curious about Orthodoxy and not Orthodox yet?
idk; I hope not. I won't be confirmed until Pentecost 2010.
Pack it and light it.

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:52 pm

josephrbray wrote:
SouthernGent wrote:Did I breach etiquette here? Was it a bad idea to post here only being curious about Orthodoxy and not Orthodox yet?
What was your faith tradition, before going Apostolic?

[/EDIT] NEVERMIND
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

SouthernGent
Usher
Usher

Post by SouthernGent » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Del wrote:
josephrbray wrote:
What was your faith tradition, before going Apostolic?

[/EDIT] NEVERMIND
Me or josephbray?