THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway
Posts: 35485
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Del » Tue May 31, 2016 5:05 pm

I love the linked article!
When my children were small, I worked hard to make sure they ate natural, nourishing foods. I didn’t buy neon-colored marshmallow-laced cereals for them to eat, except twice a year. At Christmas and at Pascha, I bought jumbo-sized boxes of Lucky Charms. They learned the sweetness of the feasts from the sweetness of the cereal. And when the feast was over, they went back to eating their ordinary foods.

When they asked for Lucky Charms and similar cereals the rest of the year, I always said, “We’ll get that for you at Pascha and Christmas.” And they were satisfied with that. They understood that we have to have special foods for special times.

Until this year, I always made cheese and sausage balls for Pascha. I’d make an enormous batch. Some of them would go in my basket to share at the feast after the midnight service. Some would be frozen before they were baked. All during Pascha, when we wanted a snack, we’d take a few of them out of the freezer and pop them in the oven. Within a few minutes, the house smelled like Pascha baking, and we’d have a treat that tasted like Pascha.
Our faith is incarnational. The endearing customs of our culture are the face of our faith. When we stop living them, we have stopped believing.

We may tell ourselves that we are still believers, but what difference does it make then? We'd be "secular Christians."

We give our children a great gift when we establish and pass down family customs.
"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." - Eph 4

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 19615
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:37 pm

I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20855
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:50 pm

Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
If you don't stop sharing stuff like this you're going to convince me to return to the Orthodox Church. I remember taking my boys even as babies to partake of the Holy Mystery. I'm glad you you found "home." No doubt, the Orthodox service is the most beautiful form of worship I ever saw. If it was outside in a natural place it could be even better.

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 19615
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Jocose » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
If you don't stop sharing stuff like this you're going to convince me to return to the Orthodox Church. I remember taking my boys even as babies to partake of the Holy Mystery. I'm glad you you found "home." No doubt, the Orthodox service is the most beautiful form of worship I ever saw. If it was outside in a natural place it could be even better.
Only the Holy Spirit can convince you to come to Jesus. But ya, I agree that the service is beautiful and more important that Jesus is worshipped, taught and always pointed to there.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

User avatar
hugodrax
All Around Nice Guy
All Around Nice Guy
Posts: 14307
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by hugodrax » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:23 pm

Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
Happy for you, Jo.
Etiam mihi opinio anserem perirent.

User avatar
serapion
I'll make yer head spin!
I'll make yer head spin!
Posts: 2355
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:00 pm
Location: New Yorker from Connecticut, now exiled to the Republic of Texas
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by serapion » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Jocose, great news!
I am a pipe smoker, the very embodiment of mellow.
I let nothing chap my ass.

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4290
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Brigid » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:15 am

Very happy to hear it, Jo. Welcome home.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by A_Morley » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
Well, that's good to know. Blessings upon you.

Might I ask which church you've been attending? There are some very good ones in the greater Portland area.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 31786
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by John-Boy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Cool. Looking forward to hearing more.
Praying - coco
Sometimes memes can be helpful as well as humorous - Jocose
Yer mom is kindhearted and well respected in her community - JMG

User avatar
OldWorldSwine
rootle round the ear 'ole
rootle round the ear 'ole
Posts: 9440
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by OldWorldSwine » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:32 pm

Bless you, sir!
"There's what's right and there's what's right and never the twain shall meet."

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20855
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:19 pm

Jocose wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
If you don't stop sharing stuff like this you're going to convince me to return to the Orthodox Church. I remember taking my boys even as babies to partake of the Holy Mystery. I'm glad you you found "home." No doubt, the Orthodox service is the most beautiful form of worship I ever saw. If it was outside in a natural place it could be even better.
Only the Holy Spirit can convince you to come to Jesus. But ya, I agree that the service is beautiful and more important that Jesus is worshipped, taught and always pointed to there.
I hear you better than the Holy Spirit. Anyway, you will probably make a better Orthodox Christian than I did. I really suck at doing church, I miss it from time to time, but not very good at it. I really suck at faith and belief too. I wish you well, it was an exciting time when I started down that road.

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4290
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Brigid » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
If you don't stop sharing stuff like this you're going to convince me to return to the Orthodox Church. I remember taking my boys even as babies to partake of the Holy Mystery. I'm glad you you found "home." No doubt, the Orthodox service is the most beautiful form of worship I ever saw. If it was outside in a natural place it could be even better.
Only the Holy Spirit can convince you to come to Jesus. But ya, I agree that the service is beautiful and more important that Jesus is worshipped, taught and always pointed to there.
I hear you better than the Holy Spirit. Anyway, you will probably make a better Orthodox Christian than I did. I really suck at doing church, I miss it from time to time, but not very good at it. I really suck at faith and belief too. I wish you well, it was an exciting time when I started down that road.
A quiet note to say — sucking at it is kind of the point, friend. Coming face to face with what we lack, and where we fail, and letting God love us anyway. Learning to love ourselves, and others.

Do whatever is good for your healing, Thunk. Because that's what salvation is, theosis, healing. Becoming more and more filled with the parts within us that are holy and that connect us to what is Good, and in the process overcoming our wounds and the brokenness of the world. More Love.

I'll be cheering you on wherever you call home, but I hope you know that the door is always open, that you will always be welcome.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Posts: 20855
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Ad Orientem

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Thunktank » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:49 pm

Brigid wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
If you don't stop sharing stuff like this you're going to convince me to return to the Orthodox Church. I remember taking my boys even as babies to partake of the Holy Mystery. I'm glad you you found "home." No doubt, the Orthodox service is the most beautiful form of worship I ever saw. If it was outside in a natural place it could be even better.
Only the Holy Spirit can convince you to come to Jesus. But ya, I agree that the service is beautiful and more important that Jesus is worshipped, taught and always pointed to there.
I hear you better than the Holy Spirit. Anyway, you will probably make a better Orthodox Christian than I did. I really suck at doing church, I miss it from time to time, but not very good at it. I really suck at faith and belief too. I wish you well, it was an exciting time when I started down that road.
A quiet note to say — sucking at it is kind of the point, friend. Coming face to face with what we lack, and where we fail, and letting God love us anyway. Learning to love ourselves, and others.

Do whatever is good for your healing, Thunk. Because that's what salvation is, theosis, healing. Becoming more and more filled with the parts within us that are holy and that connect us to what is Good, and in the process overcoming our wounds and the brokenness of the world. More Love.

I'll be cheering you on wherever you call home, but I hope you know that the door is always open, that you will always be welcome.
Nice to see you back. Brigid. We missed you. How have you been and what have you been up too? Maybe you will share and give us an update somewhere here on CPS?

User avatar
Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?
Posts: 4290
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Brigid » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:58 pm

Thunktank wrote:
Brigid wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:
Thunktank wrote:
Jocose wrote:I've found home. After looking into it for the last several years (7,8?) I'm going to inquire about becoming a catechumen in the Orthodox Church.

I've so much to say about it but what really hit me hard this morning was seeing an entire row of little kids and young people eating the bread just like Jesus instructions were.
If you don't stop sharing stuff like this you're going to convince me to return to the Orthodox Church. I remember taking my boys even as babies to partake of the Holy Mystery. I'm glad you you found "home." No doubt, the Orthodox service is the most beautiful form of worship I ever saw. If it was outside in a natural place it could be even better.
Only the Holy Spirit can convince you to come to Jesus. But ya, I agree that the service is beautiful and more important that Jesus is worshipped, taught and always pointed to there.
I hear you better than the Holy Spirit. Anyway, you will probably make a better Orthodox Christian than I did. I really suck at doing church, I miss it from time to time, but not very good at it. I really suck at faith and belief too. I wish you well, it was an exciting time when I started down that road.
A quiet note to say — sucking at it is kind of the point, friend. Coming face to face with what we lack, and where we fail, and letting God love us anyway. Learning to love ourselves, and others.

Do whatever is good for your healing, Thunk. Because that's what salvation is, theosis, healing. Becoming more and more filled with the parts within us that are holy and that connect us to what is Good, and in the process overcoming our wounds and the brokenness of the world. More Love.

I'll be cheering you on wherever you call home, but I hope you know that the door is always open, that you will always be welcome.
Nice to see you back. Brigid. We missed you. How have you been and what have you been up too? Maybe you will share and give us an update somewhere here on CPS?
Well...
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

User avatar
Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu
a large Chinese man named Wu
Posts: 19615
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:00 pm
Location: Moonbase Alpha
Contact:

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Jocose » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:27 am

Image



The History of the Icon of The Inexhaustible Cup



The "Inexhaustible Cup" Icon of the Most Holy Theotokos was revealed in Russia in 1878. A retired soldier from Tula had spent his pension on alcohol, ruining his health. Though he was no longer able to walk, he continued to drink.

One night a holy Elder appeared to him in a dream and told him to go to the Serpukhov monastery of the Mother of God. "Have a Molieben served before her Icon "The Inexhaustible Chalice." Since he had no money and could not walk, the man paid no attention to the dream. Then the Elder appeared a second and third time, speaking to him with increasing severity.

Crawling on all fours, the man reached the next village and stayed in the home of an old woman. She rubbed his legs, and he began to feel better. The next day, he resumed his journey with two canes, then with one, until he arrived at the monastery.

He described his dreams to the monks, but none of them had ever heard of "The Inexhaustible Cup" Icon. Finally, one of them remembered an icon on which a chalice was depicted. On the back of the icon was an inscription, "The Inexhaustible Chaice." After the Molieben, the peasant returned home restored to health, and cured of his alcoholism.

News of the miracle spread, and many alcoholics and their families came to pray before the Icon. Many of them came back to thank the Mother of God for answering their prayers. Every Sunday in the Serpukhov-Vyotsk monastery a Molieben with an Akathist is served before the Icon for those who are addicted to alcohol.

The following is just one of many prayers for those suffering from addiction.

O all-merciful sovereign Lady, we come to your protection. Do not despise our petitions, but kindly hear us—wives, children, husbands, parents, and all those who suffer from heavy affliction of addictions of all sorts—and restore those who, because of it, fall away from our holy Mother the Church and its salvation. O merciful Theotokos, touch their heart and speedily restore them from their fallen state, and lead them to salutary repentance. Implore your Son, Christ our God, to forgive us our trespasses and not to turn away His mercies from His people, but that He would strengthen us in sobriety and chastity. Accept, O all-holy Theotokos, the petitions of mothers shedding tears about their children, wives sobbing for their husbands, children, orphans, beggars, and all those who were forsaken, and all of us who venerate your Icon, and let your prayers carry our petitions to the throne of the Almighty. Cover us and keep us from all snares of the enemy and the traps of the evil one, and at the dreadful hour of our death, help us to pass the ordeal without stumbling. By your prayers, save us from eternal condemnation so that God's mercy may cover us for the ages to come.

Amen.
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

User avatar
Fainn
I've attained the highest rank so far
I've attained the highest rank so far
Posts: 3327
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:48 pm

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by Fainn » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 am

Here's a nice Orthodox picture Image
2016 Winner, Least Likely to Correctly use a Pipe Sock Image

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by A_Morley » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:37 am

Fainn wrote:Here's a nice Orthodox picture Image
Image
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19127
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:17 pm

I saw a story on the news last night about a nine year old Pittsburgh boy who's going to college. His father, a Greek Orthodox priest, was interviewed. The father, dressed in black with a salt and pepper beard and big eyeglasses, reminded me of of Monarch. But then, pretty much every Greek Orthodox priest looks the same to me.

And WTH Jo?
This is probably the first time I've ever looked at this thread and I see your story. Wow. Just wow.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

User avatar
A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Posts: 10454
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 6:00 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by A_Morley » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:27 pm

I still wonder if he is leaning more Greek, Russian, or what have you? I realize that the majority of Orthodox churches are theologically the same, I enjoy quibbling over niceties.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

User avatar
FredS
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Really, really likes watching kids fish.
Posts: 19127
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Kansas City

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by FredS » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:34 pm

I think maybe the beards and black clothes are comfortable reminders of his MC (motorcycle club) days.

Regardless, I think it's great he's found a home that renews his faith and perhaps rekindles the flame.
"If we ever get to heaven boys, it aint because we aint done nothin' wrong" - Kris Kristofferson

"One of the things I love about CPS is the frank and enthusiastic dysfunction here. God help me, I do love it so." – OldWorldSwine

"I'd like to put a hook in that puppet and swing it through a bunch of salmon!" - durangopipe

Post Reply