THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Anything and everything... except the youth room... or what belongs in the Purgatory Forum
UncleBob
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Re: THE ORTHODOX THREAD

Post by UncleBob » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:59 pm

FredS wrote:I think maybe the beards and black clothes are comfortable reminders of his MC (motorcycle club) days.

Regardless, I think it's great he's found a home that renews his faith and perhaps rekindles the flame.
What about the incense?

:chili:
"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh." - Robert A. Heinlein

"Many of the points here, taken to their logical conclusions, don't hold up to logic; they're simply Godded-up ways of saying "I don't like that." - Skip

A_Morley
Cardinal Uncle Nacho
Cardinal Uncle Nacho

Post by A_Morley » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:14 pm

UncleBob wrote:
FredS wrote:I think maybe the beards and black clothes are comfortable reminders of his MC (motorcycle club) days.

Regardless, I think it's great he's found a home that renews his faith and perhaps rekindles the flame.
What about the incense?

Many of the Orthodox priests I knew did not have beards. One was Armenian. The other was Romanian. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. My friend Fr. Mekhail has a beard. He's Coptic, though.
His Eminence
Cardinal of CPS

Jocose
a large Chinese man named Wu

Post by Jocose » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:31 pm

God's love for us

The sum of all is that God the lord of all, out of fervent love for his creation, handed over his own Son to death on the cross. 'For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son for its sake'

This was not because he could not have saved us in another way, but so that he might thereby the better indicate to us his surpassing love, so that, by the death of his only begotten Son, he might bring us close to himself.

Yes, if he had anything more precious he would have given it to us so that our race might thereby be recovered.

Because of his great love, he did not want to use compulsion on our freedom, although he would have been able to do so; but instead he chose that we should draw near to him freely, by our own mind's love.

St Isaac
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

I've crossed the Bosphorus.

Thoth
Never had a corndog taco shake

Post by Thoth » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:21 pm

A_Morley wrote:
UncleBob wrote:

What about the incense?

Many of the Orthodox priests I knew did not have beards. One was Armenian. The other was Romanian. I don't know if that had anything to do with it. My friend Fr. Mekhail has a beard. He's Coptic, though.
Can not speak for the Romanian but Armenians are the most liberal of the Oriental Orthodox family, so they will generally have minimal facial hair for the sake of propriety as no to scandalize the old grandmothers (as an aside, if you have an issues as these old ladies to pray for you. God is. quick to hearken to their prayers we've seen stuff happen) but clean shaven happens on occasion.

Sadly among younger Coptic priests the trend is for very close cropped beards. Can't say I care much for it.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 pm

Jocose, I am joyful you found a home. If you have any questions we'd be glad to help.
"Go and reconcile with him who has trespassed against you before he comes and apologises to you and steals your crown" - H.H. Pope Cyril VI<br><br>"O Lord I was not aware of the treasure within me that is You" - H.H. Pope Shenouda III

erlerinsc
Congregation
Congregation

Post by erlerinsc » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:12 pm

Hello all,

I have recently became a member of the forum. Aside from the bio thread, I wanted to take a moment and stop by this particular thread so as to introduce myself. I too am an Orthodox Christian and pipe smoker. I am glad to see that there is an Orthodox presence on here and look forward to getting to know y'all.
“When you sit down to eat, pray... If you drink wine, be mindful of Him who has given it to you for your pleasure and as a relief in sickness... Similarly, when the sun goes down and when it rises, when you are asleep or awake, give thanks to God, who created and arranged all things for your benefit, to have you know, love and praise their Creator.” + St. Basil the Great

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:46 pm

https://youtu.be/K6ZXxgjKk2o

A 60 minutes news story on the Orthodox
"And for Freds sake, DO NOT point anyone towards CPS or you'll put them off of both Christianity and pipe smoking forever." ~ FredS

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:52 pm

Commemorated November 4
Hieromartyr Nicander the Bishop of Myra

The Hieromartyrs Nicander, Bishop of Myra, and Hermas the Presbyter, were disciples of the holy Apostle Paul’s follower and fellow ascetic, the holy Apostle Titus of the Seventy (August 25), and they were ordained by him to the priesthood.

Living the ascetic life amid incessant pastoral works, the saints converted many pagans to Christ. For this they were arrested and brought before the city prefect, Libanius. Neither flattery nor threats swayed the holy martyrs to renounce Christ. Then Libanius gave orders that they be tortured.

The saints endured fierce and inhuman torments: they were tied to horses and dragged over stones, their bodies were raked with iron hooks, and they were cast into a hot oven. The Lord helped them endure things that a mere man by his own strength could not endure. Towards the end, iron nails were hammered into their heads and hearts. They were thrown into a pit, then covered over with earth.

After enduring such a cruel death, now they live forever in the joy of the Lord (Mt. 25:2

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:24 pm

Holy Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri heavenly intercessor for drug addicts, alcoholics,
suicidals, and despairing youth.

O Lord, Jesus Christ, through the prayers of Thy Holy Martyr Ephraim, have mercy on my son and deliver him from this cruel bondage.

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:02 pm

Jocose wrote:Image

Holy Martyr Ephraim of Nea Makri heavenly intercessor for drug addicts, alcoholics,

O Lord, Jesus Christ, through the prayers of Thy Holy Martyr Ephraim, have mercy on my son and deliver him from this cruel bondage.
Amen. St Joseph, prayers for family strength

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:52 pm

Kyrie eleyson

Del
Hacked by Kellyanne Conway

Post by Del » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Thoth wrote:

Kyrie eleyson
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.
Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! And let all who hate Him flee before His Holy Face! - Ps 67

"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 pm

Some may be aware of my on again off being called to the priesthood, so quick note on Orthodox eccliesiology since I live in an area not directly under a local bishop I'm open for poaching to other dioceses. SO currently the Bishop of the Southern United States wants to ordain me for a church in the north Dallas area (Richardson to be exact) to that end I have been traveling there for weekends for the past several months. So I have one more visit before His Grace puts it up to the congregation to make the final decision. To additionally make things interesting another bishop wants to ordain me for Greenville, SC if the other thing falls through.

Prayers appreciated especially for wisdom.

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:38 pm

Thoth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 pm
Some may be aware of my on again off being called to the priesthood, so quick note on Orthodox eccliesiology since I live in an area not directly under a local bishop I'm open for poaching to other dioceses. SO currently the Bishop of the Southern United States wants to ordain me for a church in the north Dallas area (Richardson to be exact) to that end I have been traveling there for weekends for the past several months. So I have one more visit before His Grace puts it up to the congregation to make the final decision. To additionally make things interesting another bishop wants to ordain me for Greenville, SC if the other thing falls through.

I've been praying for your discernment for quite some time now, Thoth. Quite frankly, the only person I'd rather hear from more than Thoth is Father Thoth. I believe NY flock would be lucky to have you.

Jocose

Post by Jocose » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 pm

hugodrax wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:38 pm
Thoth wrote:

I've been praying for your discernment for quite some time now, Thoth. Quite frankly, the only person I'd rather hear from more than Thoth is Father Thoth. I believe NY flock would be lucky to have you.
+4.7 and an 1/8

Thoth

Post by Thoth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:01 pm

Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thoth wrote:

+4.7 and an 1/8
Well if it occurs it will be a Texas flock or South Carolina. Actually my close friend was ordained for the church in NY that I was a candidate, he was the much better fit.

Brigid
uh...not a fellow?
uh...not a fellow?

Post by Brigid » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:16 pm

May it be blessed, friend. So happy for you and your potential congregations.
Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

hugodrax
Legal Artisan
Legal Artisan

Post by hugodrax » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Thoth wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:01 pm
Jocose wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 pm
hugodrax wrote:
Thoth wrote:

+4.7 and an 1/8
Well if it occurs it will be a Texas flock or South Carolina. Actually my close friend was ordained for the church in NY that I was a candidate, he was the much better fit.
Autocorrect. Wouldn't it make more sense if you read "any", champ?

Thunktank
Terminal Lance. Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado
Terminal Lance.  Perpetual Sea Lawyer. Unicorn Aficionado

Post by Thunktank » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 pm

Thoth wrote:

Nice to hear from you, Thoth. Destiny may cross our paths yet. I've been in and out of Texas north of Dallas as well lately. I was in Richardson a month ago. Very likely to move to the area in a year or two. Regardless, I may be back there yet again in the next few weeks. Would you accept me as a spiritual son of yours? :D

Del

Post by Del » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:54 am

Thunktank wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 pm
Thoth wrote:

Nice to hear from you, Thoth. Destiny may cross our paths yet. I've been in and out of Texas north of Dallas as well lately. I was in Richardson a month ago. Very likely to move to the area in a year or two. Regardless, I may be back there yet again in the next few weeks. Would you accept me as a spiritual son of yours? :D
Dallas is not impossibly far from Wisconsin. Just have to survive trekking across that vast, trackless wasteland of Illinois.
Let God arise! Let His enemies be scattered! And let all who hate Him flee before His Holy Face! - Ps 67

"Utter frogshit from start to finish." - Onyx