What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
thoughtfuldave
Congregation
Congregation

how bout this for a smarty pants?

Post by thoughtfuldave » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:52 pm

I sat down and read a bunch of Canterbury Tales by Chaucer...it was the abridged version so I could actually understand it, but what a riot!! Read the Summoner's tale and you will laugh your head off...

Love,

Dave

SinisterHand
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SinisterHand » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:07 pm

For some interesting reading reading check out this site: www.geocities.com/rik_turner. This site is edited by my friend Avva Andreas Turner, s priest in the Antiochian Catholic Church. I'm not Catholic but I'm really enjoying this site. It contains the Saint Thomas Prayerbook along with some of Avva Andreas' essays and some hymns(I believe Avva Andreas wrote these as well). If any of you are ever in Gatlinburg,TN drop by the Gatlin-Burlier tobacco shop in the Mountain Mall and pay him a visit (he's better known as Richard thier).
<div>The artist formerly known as Creepy Looking Baby.</div>

freebird
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by freebird » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:30 am

Currently reading Tuesdays with Morrie. Has anyone else read this book? If not I'd highly recommend it. Not religeous reading per se, but on the point of what really matters it makes one stop and think.
I like my pipes bent and my razors straight.
.... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- --..-- / -. --- - / .--- ..- ... - / ..-. --- .-. / --- .-.. -.. / -- . -. / .- -. -.. / ..-. .-. . --.- ...

PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician

Post by PipeAndPint » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:21 am

now reading Remembering C.S. Lewis by James Como and Tell the Truth by Will Metzger.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:54 am

SinisterHand wrote:For some interesting reading reading check out this site: www.geocities.com/rik_turner. This site is edited by my friend Avva Andreas Turner, s priest in the Antiochian Catholic Church. I'm not Catholic but I'm really enjoying this site. It contains the Saint Thomas Prayerbook along with some of Avva Andreas' essays and some hymns(I believe Avva Andreas wrote these as well). If any of you are ever in Gatlinburg,TN drop by the Gatlin-Burlier tobacco shop in the Mountain Mall and pay him a visit (he's better known as Richard thier).
Holy Smokes!! I know Rick, but I didn't know you knew him! I've been a Gatlinburlier customer for many years, and a son of a customer for many more. I'm from that area (Strawberry Plains...about 20-30 minutes from Gatlinburg), but I now live in Florida, so I only get by there a few times a year, but my Dad still buys quite a bit from them (he's what you might call a regular smoker...12-15 lbs. of their Cades Cove Cavendish per year). I always love getting up there, as all the guys who work at Gatlinburlier still treat me like a regular, even though they only see me rarely. That shop is one of the things I miss most about TN. Sigh...
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

SinisterHand
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SinisterHand » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:06 pm

I get up there a coule times a year. Their Cascades Cavendish is my favorite bulk tobacco. I haven't found anything close to it anywhere else. Richard is a real stand out guy. All the guys there are great. They all remember me as soon as I enter the store. And they all know there tobacco, unlike a lot of employees at a lot of other tobacco shops.

BTW, what possesed you to move AWAY from TN? I spend much my life scheming about how to move TO there.

SandPiper
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SandPiper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:20 pm

SinisterHand wrote:BTW, what possesed you to move AWAY from TN? I spend much my life scheming about how to move TO there.
Well, it was 82 degrees at my house today, and I live about 5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. People laugh at you in these parts if you bother to even take pictures of a largemouth under 10lbs., and I have plenty of scuba opportunities... Plus, all of my family still lives in East TN, so I can go back any time I need my mountain "fix."
-Kip, aka SandPiper

...on Mission in the Dominican Republic: 4Fishers
The cigar show I co-host: Half Ashed

"If you can't fix it with cottage cheese - it ain't worth fixing." - John Boy

dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:08 pm

A new (for me) mystery. THE SEVENTH STATION, A FATHER DOWLING MYSTERY by Ralph McInerny. On page 4: "He (Father Dowling) sat on the bed and put a match to his pipe." A murder on page 20. Yes! This is going to be a good one! I just know it!
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

GScott
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire

Post by GScott » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:43 pm

Hmmm....Sounds interesting. I'll check it out.

gospeldj
Pastor
Pastor

Post by gospeldj » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:30 am

SandPiper wrote:
SinisterHand wrote:For some interesting reading reading check out this site: www.geocities.com/rik_turner. This site is edited by my friend Avva Andreas Turner, s priest in the Antiochian Catholic Church. I'm not Catholic but I'm really enjoying this site. It contains the Saint Thomas Prayerbook along with some of Avva Andreas' essays and some hymns(I believe Avva Andreas wrote these as well). If any of you are ever in Gatlinburg,TN drop by the Gatlin-Burlier tobacco shop in the Mountain Mall and pay him a visit (he's better known as Richard thier).
Holy Smokes!! I know Rick, but I didn't know you knew him! I've been a Gatlinburlier customer for many years, and a son of a customer for many more. I'm from that area (Strawberry Plains...about 20-30 minutes from Gatlinburg), but I now live in Florida, so I only get by there a few times a year, but my Dad still buys quite a bit from them (he's what you might call a regular smoker...12-15 lbs. of their Cades Cove Cavendish per year). I always love getting up there, as all the guys who work at Gatlinburlier still treat me like a regular, even though they only see me rarely. That shop is one of the things I miss most about TN. Sigh...
Hey Sandpiper...
I too love that shop! I bought one of my first pipes there, and one of my favorites to this day...a Ben Wade freehand that I enjoyed just last night with a bowl of Dunhill's London Mixture.

Did you make it home for the Holidays?

Mike
I'm not coming down out of this tree until you say you'll play football for the Methodists.

Benjy
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Benjy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:09 am

I've finished with Donald Miller's Through Painted Deserts... Now, I'm on "No More Mr. Nice Guy" by Steve Brown. Good reads.

freebird
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by freebird » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:10 am

Just started an Ann Rule book, "Worth more "Dead", always have been a reader of true crime not sure why though. Tuesdays with Morrie is by far the best "new" (recently published) book that I've read.
I like my pipes bent and my razors straight.
.... .- -- / .-. .- -.. .. --- --..-- / -. --- - / .--- ..- ... - / ..-. --- .-. / --- .-.. -.. / -- . -. / .- -. -.. / ..-. .-. . --.- ...

SinisterHand
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SinisterHand » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:20 pm

gospeldj wrote:
SandPiper wrote:
Hey Sandpiper...
I too love that shop! I bought one of my first pipes there, and one of my favorites to this day...a Ben Wade freehand that I enjoyed just last night with a bowl of Dunhill's London Mixture.

Did you make it home for the Holidays?

Mike
I smoked my wery first bowl at that store in a $6 corncob. I still have that pipe.

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:38 pm

Currently reading DENIAL OF THE SOUL - SPIRITUAL AND MEDICAL PERSPECTIVES ON EUTHANASIA AND MORTALITY by M. Scott Peck, M. D.

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner

Post by John-Boy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Just started:

The Curate of Glaston: Three Dramatic Novels from Scotland's Beloved Storyteller by George MacDonald and Michael R. Phillips

thebreadline
Abbott and Costello of the Briar
Abbott and Costello of the Briar

Post by thebreadline » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:13 pm

after the long and drawn-out emphasis on his most famous novels, i am going back and reading 'the hobbit' by our brother jrr.

I am the "Online Total Package" - isaac Sep 15, 2006 12:39 pm

SinisterHand
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar

Post by SinisterHand » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:42 am

Reading two right now:

1. Miracles by C.S.Lewis (Yep, still on the Lewis kick.)

2. The Pipe Book by Alfred Dunhill

PipeAndPint

Post by PipeAndPint » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:15 am

Remembering C.S. Lewis, a collection of personal reminiscences about Lewis, edited by James T. Como. It's a treat!
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

Peccator
Congregation
Congregation

Post by Peccator » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:49 pm

Tom Jones
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/019283 ... e&n=283155

A bit hard to read, but lots of tongue-in-cheek humor. If you like Tom Sawyer, you might like this. It has a fair bit of Calvin/Arminius type debate thrown in to boot. Although in this case it seems to be more Wesley/Whitefield debate (so says the footnotes).

dennisthemenace

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:37 am

THE SUNDAY PHILOSOPHY CLUB - An Isabel Dalhousie Mystery
by Alexander McCall Smith, best-selling author of THE LADIES' No. 1 DETECTIVE AGENCY

Dennis