What book are you reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Post Reply
User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4525
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Post by dennisthemenace » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:12 am

GLIMPSES OF THE DEVIL (A PSYCHIATRIST'S PERSONAL ACCOUNTS of POSSESSION, EXORCISM, and REDEMPTION) by M. Scott Peck, M. D.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by PipeAndPint » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:32 am

Finished three reading items on my recent trip:

1) Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer by C.S. Lewis
2) "New Perspectives on Paul" by N.T. Wright
3) "Women’s Service in the Church: The Biblical Basis" by N.T. Wright

I found all three to be quite interesting. Lewis is always outstanding. Wright's #2 article is intriguing, but I think he makes some dubious pleading in #3.
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

User avatar
Odysseus
Elder
Elder
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Odysseus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:12 pm

Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
Peace be with you.

+ OD
:pipe:

User avatar
kendrck
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by kendrck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:47 pm

odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
Image

User avatar
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by PipeAndPint » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:40 pm

kendrck wrote:
odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
btw, i seem to have lost that tshirt... :cry:
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

User avatar
kendrck
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ
ńėědlē-pöíñtëŕ
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by kendrck » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:25 pm

PipeAndPint wrote:
kendrck wrote:
odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
btw, i seem to have lost that tshirt... :cry:
hee hee ... "lost" ... ahem ... i mean ... yes, of COURSE you "lost" it ...

... it definitely wasn't spirited away by shadowy, fashionable elements within your kingdom, or anything like that ...

... why would you think such a thing?
Image

User avatar
GScott
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire
Geezer "Juxtaposition" Extraordinaire
Posts: 4928
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Bragadocious, Ca.
Contact:

Post by GScott » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:16 pm

kendrck wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
kendrck wrote:
odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
btw, i seem to have lost that tshirt... :cry:
hee hee ... "lost" ... ahem ... i mean ... yes, of COURSE you "lost" it ...

... it definitely wasn't spirited away by shadowy, fashionable elements within your kingdom, or anything like that ...

... why would you think such a thing?
I think John Boy hijacked it :P

User avatar
SinisterHand
Brother of the Briar
Brother of the Briar
Posts: 1626
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: north augusta, south carolina
Contact:

Post by SinisterHand » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:40 pm

PipeAndPint wrote:Finished three reading items on my recent trip:

1) Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer by C.S. Lewis
2) "New Perspectives on Paul" by N.T. Wright
3) "Women’s Service in the Church: The Biblical Basis" by N.T. Wright

I found all three to be quite interesting. Lewis is always outstanding. Wright's #2 article is intriguing, but I think he makes some dubious pleading in #3.
Did you do anything on your trip other than read?
<div>The artist formerly known as Creepy Looking Baby.</div>

User avatar
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:03 am

kendrck wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:
kendrck wrote:
odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
btw, i seem to have lost that tshirt... :cry:
hee hee ... "lost" ... ahem ... i mean ... yes, of COURSE you "lost" it ...

... it definitely wasn't spirited away by shadowy, fashionable elements within your kingdom, or anything like that ...

... why would you think such a thing?
shadowy, fashionable elements - in my kingdom? I think you're mistaking my kingdom for the one next door.. you know, Evilbarbieland?
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

User avatar
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:04 am

SinisterHand wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:Finished three reading items on my recent trip:

1) Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer by C.S. Lewis
2) "New Perspectives on Paul" by N.T. Wright
3) "Women’s Service in the Church: The Biblical Basis" by N.T. Wright

I found all three to be quite interesting. Lewis is always outstanding. Wright's #2 article is intriguing, but I think he makes some dubious pleading in #3.
Did you do anything on your trip other than read?
Not if I could avoid it. If only those pesky interviewers hadn't kept interrupting!
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

User avatar
kendrck
&#324;&#279;&#283;dl&#275;-pöíñtë&#341;
&#324;&#279;&#283;dl&#275;-pöíñtë&#341;
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by kendrck » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:15 am

PipeAndPint wrote:shadowy, fashionable elements - in my kingdom? I think you're mistaking my kingdom for the one next door.. you know, Evilbarbieland?
you just keep tellin' yerself that, buddy ... just keep tellin' yerself that

might just wanna keep an eye out for people on whom white doesn't appear after Labor Day, though
Image

User avatar
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:18 am

kendrck wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:shadowy, fashionable elements - in my kingdom? I think you're mistaking my kingdom for the one next door.. you know, Evilbarbieland?
you just keep tellin' yerself that, buddy ... just keep tellin' yerself that

might just wanna keep an eye out for people on whom white doesn't appear after Labor Day, though
you're right, i was wrong.. the neighboring kingdom is called Metroland.. :P
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

User avatar
kendrck
&#324;&#279;&#283;dl&#275;-pöíñtë&#341;
&#324;&#279;&#283;dl&#275;-pöíñtë&#341;
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by kendrck » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:19 am

PipeAndPint wrote:you're right, i was wrong.. the neighboring kingdom is called Metroland..
don't hate us because we exfoliate ... hate us because we smell SO much better than you
Image

User avatar
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:22 am

kendrck wrote:
PipeAndPint wrote:you're right, i was wrong.. the neighboring kingdom is called Metroland..
don't hate us because we exfoliate ... hate us because we smell SO much better than you
ah, so THAT's what i've been smelling.. and i thought it were a driftin' from the neighboring pasture..

so what you're saying is, i need to beware of shadowy, fashionable, bovine-aromating elements?
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

User avatar
gospeldj
Pastor
Pastor
Posts: 756
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Knoxville, Tn.

Post by gospeldj » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:10 am

Just finished Jimmy Carter's "Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis." Just started Steinbeck's "The Pearl."

Mike
I'm not coming down out of this tree until you say you'll play football for the Methodists.

User avatar
Odysseus
Elder
Elder
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Post by Odysseus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

kendrck wrote:
odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
Yes, and I'll even give you a list!
Peace be with you.

+ OD
:pipe:

User avatar
John-Boy
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
I'm a lover and I'm a sinner
Posts: 31786
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 6:00 pm
Contact:

Post by John-Boy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:54 pm

odyssey wrote:
kendrck wrote:
odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
Yes, and I'll even give you a list!
I don't think we need to forget PnP's t-shirt needs. Let's support both ministries.

User avatar
dennisthemenace
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Gentleman of the Briar and Tiny Tim Wannabe
Posts: 4525
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Fort Wayne, IN USA
Contact:

Post by dennisthemenace » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:32 pm

Starting another mystery. THE HARPER'S QUINE (The First Gil Cunningham Murder Mystery) by Pat McIntosh. Set in medieval Glasgow, Scotland.
Your Humble and Obedient Servant,

Dennis

With pipe and book at close of day, Oh, what is sweeter? mortal say. - Richard Le Gallienne

User avatar
kendrck
&#324;&#279;&#283;dl&#275;-pöíñtë&#341;
&#324;&#279;&#283;dl&#275;-pöíñtë&#341;
Posts: 8873
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:00 pm
Location: Olathe, Kansas
Contact:

Post by kendrck » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:51 pm

I'm reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard ... anyone read her?
Image

User avatar
PipeAndPint
CPS Theological Dogmatician
CPS Theological Dogmatician
Posts: 11889
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:00 pm
Location: State College, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by PipeAndPint » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:24 pm

John-Boy wrote:
odyssey wrote:
kendrck wrote:
odyssey wrote:Just finished What Saint Paul Really Said and The Last Word by NT Wright. Still going through The Resurrection of the Son of God by, you guessed it, Bishop Wright!
forget PnP's t-shirts, maybe we need to start a book drive for Odyssey ... things must be very thin over there in the book department :D
Yes, and I'll even give you a list!
I don't think we need to forget PnP's t-shirt needs. Let's support both ministries.
I think it more important to direct benevolent givings to PnP's tobacco supply fund...
"Cigarettes are like indulgences. They promise a lot, but in the end are just paper for burning."

Post Reply